Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My dice hate me.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Mr.Platinum
Playing for many years my self, and i swear no matter what game i play i have the worst of luck with any kind of roll.
simonw2000
QUOTE (Plastic Rat)
I'm going with the "little, low-tech pieces of plastic" school of thought here. They have no souls, spirits or inhabiting entities of your choice. Just plastic. I have, once, thrown one across a freeway as a lesson to the others, but I tend to steer away from such superstitious activites.

No, the PDA is starting to sound good. Maybe I'll buy it a nice case... and put a Shadowrun logo on the front...

Or a Red-X... vegm.gif
TechnoDruid
I've got a friend that swears by the "Microwave them for Five Seconds" philosophy. Another friend who was rolling terrible all night decided to smash one of them on his kitchen table with a meat tenderizer hammer and stated "Let that be a lesson to the rest of you little bastards..." I'm more inclined to carry more dice than I could possibly use and just switch them out periodicly. <shrugs> I dunno, I guess I just lack the dramatic skills for anything more enthusiastic. biggrin.gif
last_of_the_great_mikeys
Plas, Plas, Plas, Plas, Plas! I can end your suffering here and now. When you roll your dice, you are supposed to roll them ON A BOOK! I repeat, you are supposed to roll your dice ON A BOOK! If one die rolls off, pick it up and ROLL IT ON THE BOOK! If more than one falls off, pick them up and ROLL THEM ON THE BOOK! Any result from a die that was not rolled on or fell off the book while rolling does not count. The book must be a product of the game you are playing! I cannot stress this enough. To use another product's book is sacreligious! Once you begin to follow this rule you will notice marked improvement in your dice rolling results. So Sayeth Mikey.
Plastic Rat
QUOTE (simonw2000)
QUOTE (Plastic Rat @ Jul 3 2004, 07:56 PM)

No, the PDA is starting to sound good.  Maybe I'll buy it a nice case... and put a Shadowrun logo on the front...

Or a Red-X... vegm.gif

Awesome idea that man! One eXchange PDA coming up! I HAVE to get me one now.

MIKEY:
Tried that whole thing already. Didn't work. We have a rule that if it rolls off the book, you HAVE to re-roll it, whether it's a 6 or a 1. The little bastards would mock me constantly by falling off and landing on a 6, then rolling a 1 when I rolled them on the book again.
JTNLANGE
Man there are some serious issues here with dice. May I suggest you all get some help biggrin.gif

Seriously, I can't think of a person I game with who doesn't curse the dice gods when the bones roll bad. I cannot tell how many of the little guys have perished at my hand, not to mention the group as a whole. I find a swift and quick whack with the hammer to be the best, but I have heard melting can be enjoyable also. smile.gif

I use a dice cup, seems to randomize the numbers pretty good.

Trevor

RangerJoe
The important thing is not to upset your dice. For table-top gaming, I've never had any problem keeping track of my dice, even as they hop and skitter along the hard table. Then, this past year, I began gaming on-line, sitting on my couch with the laptop (hooray for wireless!). At some point, a few of the dice somehow tumbled into the cracks between the couch cushions and/or under the end-table, behind some debris there. Suffice it to say, until I rescued those missing dice (some weeks later) the others wouldn't roll for me.
last_of_the_great_mikeys
QUOTE (Plastic Rat)
QUOTE (simonw2000 @ Jul 6 2004, 12:28 AM)
QUOTE (Plastic Rat @ Jul 3 2004, 07:56 PM)

No, the PDA is starting to sound good.  Maybe I'll buy it a nice case... and put a Shadowrun logo on the front...

Or a Red-X... vegm.gif

Awesome idea that man! One eXchange PDA coming up! I HAVE to get me one now.

MIKEY:
Tried that whole thing already. Didn't work. We have a rule that if it rolls off the book, you HAVE to re-roll it, whether it's a 6 or a 1. The little bastards would mock me constantly by falling off and landing on a 6, then rolling a 1 when I rolled them on the book again.

Were you rolling on an official, current Shadowrun RPG product?
Plastic Rat
Yeah, but it was a photocopied PDF of Man and Machine, downloaded off of a File-sharing network and printed at work. biggrin.gif joking

It was my First edition Rigger 3 or sometimes Man and machine, also first edition.
Blades
Just one thing to do!

Go to your local dice pusher

Get all his D6 and roll them

all those that turn up as a 6 reroll them again
those that turn up as 6 reroll
Repeat until you just got one or two dice
those you keep

Start all over again and select 1-2 dice

Repeat

Repeat

in the end you got your Karma dice, and are ready to show off biggrin.gif
Glav
First edition Rigger 3
Oh jesus, there's your problem! You should've said that to begin with, and all your problems would have been instantly known. You rolled on one of the CURSED RIGGER books! Every Rigger book laid down death and destruction in one form or another for Shadowrun. Your dice shall forever be doomed now to poor rolls. You should 1) throw away the old book, 2) burn the old dice, 3) get a new copy of the BBB, and 4) only roll on the new BBB. It's your only path to salvation. A long journey awaits you...you best be off quickly!
Street Doc
Do what I do when dice dont go well for me ... teach them a lesson. Its amazing how well other dice act after seeing one of their own flung from a sling shot, or nuked in the microwave. Need to set examples biggrin.gif
Connor
The only thing scarier than where this thread has gone is the fact that every gamer, no matter how isolated, always seems to come up with the same sort of dice rolling tricks and superstitions...
Ezra
Dice superstitions?

I used to have a cyberpunk 2020 Gm with the most amazingly prehensilie toes. He'd sit there GMing, with a drink in one hand, and a manual in the other, and then roll the dice with his toes. Didn't use his hands unless he absolutely had to. He rolled amazingly too. Target number 43...? No problem.
RangerJoe
How many dice could he roll?
Core Dump
When I'm the GM, I roll extremely well. I usually don't have to fudge rolls in good situation... it's just that I roll 6 dice vs 30+ dice from my players, but I'm used to it, hehe. I usually challenge my players with tactics and strategy, not dice roll.

When I play, I usually roll ok, except for perception rolls, where I usually barely get above 3, whatever's the amount of dice rolled. Heck, I played a perceptive(edge) character, with all kinds of enhanced senses as an adept, Stealth/Awareness maxed+adept powers, and so on and I STILL CAN'T make a stupid perception roll. I have like 20+ die with Awareness, still can't.

So, now I play an Ork with no stealth, low intel oblivious flaw. When I'm on watch duty, I usually sit in a dark corner, with a cigarette lit, listening to my diskman at full volume and drumming beats on the nearby trash can. At least I know that this character HAS to get shitty percep rolls, so I'm not pissed when I inevitably fail =)
Necro Tech
Its all about the iron fist in the velvet glove. Be nice. Get seperate dice bags for your different games (or like me, different characters). Forgive them for a bad night. Don't throw them or curse them. Still rolling poorly? Its hammer time baby. Its even works for minatures. My damn warhammer marines shopped at cardboard-armor emporium. I took my tech marine outside, lined up the whole company to watch and beat it to an unrecognizable lump of painted lead. Then introduced the new company tech marine. Worked like a charm.

For you, some people are cursed. My friend couldn't roll well to save his characters life. Ever. The more important the roll, the more catastophic the failure. He ended up going with jack-of-all-trades(master of none) characters because anytime he chose a specialty character no one would let him peform mission critical tasks. On the other end was a girl in my game who couldn't die no matter how bad the circumstances. Life in danger? 8 dice all sixes. Everytime. With anyones dice. The scariest thing I ever saw was her Grade 2 mage with sorcery 8 spell/pool 8/Wil6 cast an 8D toxic wave at target 5's. Success=7(only sorcery) and totally soak with a single karma re-roll. Needless to say if we all hadn't been watching...... Lost a whole evenings worth a bad guys but it was worth it.
Smiley
I'm a total believer in NOT LETTING ANYONE ELSE MANHANDLE MY DICE. My mojo ONLY. If anyone else had their grubby dick-skinnerz all over them, we'd get counter-mojinations and the results could be disastrous. Switching them out every now and then to give them a rest never hurt, either. I never went as far as microwaving them for 5 seconds or smashing one with a meat tenderizer. It's always been my opinion that the dice rolls reflect your mental state and any personal rituals that get your war face on and your gaming juices flowing are cool.

(Only my opinion, disclaimer, disclaimer, disclaimer, etc.)
Necro Tech
I'm totally with you on the gaming mojo thing. I had my CHARACTERS t-shirts printed up so I could wear them to the game. frown.gif Damn I'm a gamer nerd.
Smiley
That's not TOO nerdy. I'll spare everyone the details of just what i do to mojinate my dice. I did it one time out of fury when i was rolling absolute CRAP and after i did it, my rolls were pure gold.

It also keeps everyone from wanting to touch my dice, even if they were allowed to.
Necro Tech
Ah hah, the Austin Powers Mojo. Hey mister D6...does rolling a six make you horny?
Plastic Rat
QUOTE (RangerJoe)

IIRC he could handle 1 or 2 at a time, D10s and D20s though. This being CP2020, there was no need for vast shoeboxes of dice to be rolled. One D10 usually did the trick. Check the exact numbers with Ezra when he gets back.
Plastic Rat
QUOTE (Necro Tech)
I took my tech marine outside, lined up the whole company to watch and beat it to an unrecognizable lump of painted lead. Then introduced the new company tech marine. Worked like a charm.

D-d-damn..., a tech marine? Thats dinner, movies, and probably a game of paintball or lasergames all in one cost... dude, that's just totally insane. Then again, my friends play Skaven, wouldn't work on them ...

"Crud guys, did you see what he did to Skrintch?"

"Don't worry about it, there's 2 million of us, the chances of him picking you next are millions to 1, besides, I arranged for a little 'accident' for Grimey in next weeks game, if anyone's getting melted, it won't be me."
Necro Tech
Brother Marius was failing his brethren. Untold lives were being wasted due to his incompetence. It was for the good of the chapter.
Phaeton
QUOTE (Plastic Rat @ Jul 9 2004, 12:20 AM)
QUOTE (Necro Tech @ Jul 9 2004, 11:52 AM)
I took my tech marine outside, lined up the whole company to watch and beat it to an unrecognizable lump of painted lead. Then introduced the new company tech marine. Worked like a charm.

D-d-damn..., a tech marine? Thats dinner, movies, and probably a game of paintball or lasergames all in one cost... dude, that's just totally insane. Then again, my friends play Skaven, wouldn't work on them ...

"Crud guys, did you see what he did to Skrintch?"

"Don't worry about it, there's 2 million of us, the chances of him picking you next are millions to 1, besides, I arranged for a little 'accident' for Grimey in next weeks game, if anyone's getting melted, it won't be me."

Also wouldn't work on Tau. grinbig.gif They don't mind dying for the greater good.
Ezra
QUOTE (Plastic Rat)
QUOTE (RangerJoe @ Jul 9 2004, 01:41 AM)

IIRC he could handle 1 or 2 at a time, D10s and D20s though. This being CP2020, there was no need for vast shoeboxes of dice to be rolled. One D10 usually did the trick. Check the exact numbers with Ezra when he gets back.

Plastic's on the money, although I have seen him roll 6 d10's.....took a big of flexing to pick 'em all up, but hey....

There is nothing scarier than a cyberpunk GM quietly rolling 10 after 10 after 10 as he open-ends his way to the target number of 53 to ricochet a bullet into your unprotected throat, all the while smoking with one hand, and drinking with the other.

Disturbing.

biggrin.gif
Sahandrian
QUOTE (toturi @ Jul 4 2004, 06:06 AM)
The real downside to your tactic is that the players will go off to the toilet, play PS 2 games, eat a pizza... ie totally ignore you. We did that to one GM who did that, he begged us to stop.

When I ran live games, if my players did those things, I'd reply by doing stuff like locking them in the bathroom, unplugging the TV, taking the food away... basically screw with them for my own amusement.

I only ever get to GM online, now...

Edit:

My methods of die punishment were a slingshot if I didn't feel like putting effort into it, or getting a bat and using one as a tiny little baseball.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012