Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recruitment: In Heaven and Earth
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2
TinkerGnome
QUOTE (Hamlet @ Act1, Scene V)
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

What: A city based shadowrun which might involve wetwork.
When: December 20, 2061
Where: Based in Seattle, mostly Tacoma
Why: Because someone has made someone very angry
W-how: Slightly seasoned runners looking for some cred, with no problems working for the Mafia against the Yakuza.

Okay, so I'm being vague. You expect that from me by now. You can bring a character forward from Vein of Truth if you wish, or you can generate a new one. Players who were part of Vein but are making new characters get an additional 50,000 nuyen.gif to spend as they wish on their new character during the "seasoning" phase of character creation (yes, you can buy karma with it).

Anyway, what are the character generation rules? Glad you asked. They're a lot like the rules for Vein (well, they're the exact same, really).
  • Character generation is priority or points (123)
  • Characters must take Fredrick (a fixer) as a contact. He can be one of your free ones, or you can buy him with cash. Doesn't matter to me.
  • Character types? Deckers are vastly more useful than they were in Vein. Riggers less so. I'm not restricting the number of Awakened this time out and will allow up to two full mages.
  • I have a feeling I'm going to be fairly strict on edges and flaws. One edge or flaw is fine. Three is pushing it. More is probably bad. Also, flaws which aren't flaws don't give you points. Allergy: lemons is not a point-worthy flaw.
  • Most advanced rules are in effect. Optional rules are generally not. If you have specific questions, ask.
  • Cultured bioware is not allowed at this point
  • Books allowed: SR3, SR3Comp, R3R, M&M, CC, Matrix, MitS, SSG, SOTA:2063 (mostly), T:W, T:AL
  • In general, web material is not allowed. I am flexible with Raygun's firearms (the guns, not the rest of the rules) and spells that can be made using the spell research rules.
  • Write a background for the character and, for the love of God, run it through a spellcheck and read it aloud to make sure it makes sense.
Okay, got all of that? Not too bad, right? Now I'm going to do what I did for Vein and season those starting characters a bit.
  • Complete character generation as normal.
  • Add 500,000 nuyen.gif (+ 50,000 nuyen.gif for Vein players)
  • You can buy karma for 5,000 nuyen.gif a point. Bought karma goes to your karma pool at the normal rate (ie, every 10th point for humans, ever 20th for elves).
  • Street index applies to anything bought after character generation
  • Allow 6 months of downtime for stuff that takes time (vehicle customization, etc).
  • Availability cap is raised to 20. There is no rating cap.
  • Weapon modifications are allowed. Completely custom weapons are not.
  • Spell modifications are allowed. Completely custom spells are not. (ie, changing something to touch range, changing something to area effect, etc).
  • Vehicle modifications are allowed. Completely custom vehicles are generally not. If there is an instance where there isn't a vehicle available (ie, for an anthro drone) then a custom vehicle will be considered. All custom vehicles should be commercially viable.
  • SURGE if you want to, but keep the time frame in mind.
  • Contacts can be purchased after character gen at the same rate they were purchased during charactergen. 5k for level 1, 10k for level 2
  • Magical characters can join metamagic groups and initiate at the standard costs. Stick the group name and maybe a little info in your background but don't worry about it too much. The group itself likely won't come into play during the game.
On the topic of character sheets:
  • Formats: sr3, .doc, .xls, .txt, .html, .xml, .rtf
  • If you are using NSRCG, I'd like the .sr3 file in addition to whatever output files you want to send.
  • Be sure to include your background.
  • Send me the character via email: tinkergnome@comcast.net
  • Be sure to include your board name in the message
  • Deadline for completed character sheets: 4 pm, EST, Friday, July 9
Returning characters from Vein:
  • You have approximately 1 month of downtime
  • Karma costs 5,000 nuyen.gif a point.
  • There's more human opposition this time out, and less spirit opposition. There is a really big spirit involved, though.
I intend to keep a fast posting rate with this game much like Vein. I will require the following:
  • Posting should be 4 to 5 times a week, with a heavy focus on the week days. Weekend posts will come from me where possible, but I'm not going to come down on you for not posting on a Saturday if I didn't put up the last post till Friday night, etc.
  • If you're not going to be able to post for more than a day or so at a time, I want you to PM me. I know there are situations where you simply don't have anything to post, and I'll be understanding of a day or so lag in those cases. Do check in, even if you're out of the action at that instant.
  • The group will need to decide on a leader OOCly. The leader will be responsible for taking the lead in player-based segments and providing a plan if no one else comes up with one. I've got a tendency to grab whatever plan is on the table when I'm ready to post and to set it into motion.
Any questions, feel free to ask me. This game will attempt to run in a fashion much like that of Vein of Truth. My PM box tends to fill up fast, so feel free to IM or email me instead.

[NEW] I need an email from everyone this Wednesday, July 7th, (to tinkergnome@comcast.net) that includes the following:
  • Character name:
  • Character concept: (1-3 sentances)
  • Contact level for Fredrick: (1-3)
  • Your posting name: (ie, mine is TinkerGnome)
  • Character status: (new/returning/new with returning player)
[NEW] A revised listing of what you can do with your downtime is available here. PCs from Vein can be recreated to use this ruling.
Misfit Toy
Consider Belfast's (a human wujen-variant druid with an emphasis on conjuring) hat tossed in the ring. I'll try and get him upgraded and send to you as soon as I can.
FXcalibur
Hmm, I got a hankerin' to try a Full Lion Shaman this time. Should be in your email by tomorrow smile.gif
JaronK
Paris/Raven would be up for it. I'll make the necessary modifications. Would Electronics (not B/R) or Negotiations (he has a history working as an accountant and freelance corporate advisor) count as a marketable skill?

Also, considering he actually is a weapons expert type (Sniper Rifle B/R 4, Gunsmithing 4), could I make him a custom sniper rifle if he also got a gunsmithing shop to make it in? I've been seeing him as slowly upgrading his housing facilities over time, and hiding a "buisiness related" shop in the back.

JaronK
Number 6
Can I anticipate Hellcows skills will be more apllicable to this campaign? Even if not, i'm in. I can always buy the appropriate chips.
TinkerGnome
Well, how the game actualy plays out will depend on how the group tries to do it. This game is more player driven than Vein. It being city based, social skills are more important, though.
Chance359
Got room for an ork hit man?
Panzergeist
Swift Eagle is in. Wow, I didn't realize until just now that the Vein of truth run took place before the year of the comet. Natural orichalcum isn't known to exist in 2061. This information could be extremely valuable. vegm.gif
paul_HArkonen
I'd like to toss in a B&E assasin adept.

one question, well two actually, should we read up on Vein of Truth before we begin this game, or should can we just join? Second, all Karma for "seasoning will be bought out of the 500,000 right?

whatever the answer i'd like to join in.
Beast of Revolutions
Thor will be submitted for this game. But first, I have to decide what to do with that hundred grand. Perhaps a cropdusting drone loaded with cyanide gas? Dare I dream?
last_of_the_great_mikeys
I have a yet-to-be-named ork pitfighter that I'd like to try. Question: do you allow genetech? I'll have to alter the guy a little if no. (He had Calcitonin treatment)
TinkerGnome
QUOTE (Panzergeist)
Wow, I didn't realize until just now that the Vein of truth run took place before the year of the comet. Natural orichalcum isn't known to exist in 2061. This information could be extremely valuable.
You knew about 30 days before it became common knowledge, actually. YotC's first confirmation of the stuff is 11-27-61. I'd wager a few corps knew about it about 5-10 days after you guys did.

QUOTE (paul_HArkonen)
should we read up on Vein of Truth before we begin this game, or should can we just join?
If you really want to you can, but they won't be linked in any way.

Second, all Karma for "seasoning will be bought out of the 500,000 right
Yep. It's a simple way of stating that you get some combination of karma and nuyen.

QUOTE (last_of_the_great_mikeys)
Question: do you allow genetech?
After chargen in the "seasoning" phase, yes. Subject to SI and normal availability requirements.

I'll be capping the game at a number of players I haven't decided on yet. Existing characters will be given some measure of preference, but if they're not as suitable for the run as a new character, I'm not going to guarantee they will win out.
Leowulf
I have this idea for a Giant street samurai. I'll send it to you when it's competed.
Beast of Revolutions
Someone should make a gnome street samurai, that would rock.
JaronK
Oh, Tinker, do you allow buying edges for Karma? If so, what does it cost?
Digital Heroin
Ok... now the challenge I face is to create a character that'll be intriguing enough that I have a hope of having a spot... something new enough to allow for expansion, and something fitting... Berk, my ex-ganger bullyboy turned shadowrunner, was a concept that never really saw fruition.... perhaps he might work...

Edit: And on second thought, I have a decker I've never got the chance to flesh out fully that might be fun too... oh the agony of chosing...
WinterRat1
OK I'll toss in an old character remade for this one. A sniper hitman (since we might actually do wetwork, this concept might actually be able to use its abilities) smile.gif. Undetermined yet if they'll be a mundane or magical.

Question. Does the allowed availability of 20 and no rating cap apply to stuff purchased during creation as well as the seasoning part, or only for the seasoning part?
tisoz
Only the seasoning part, and it's subject to SI.
Chance359
Tisoz, you bringing Skeeter?
BGMFH
Hmm... I'll work on a magically active character on during the 4th, and possibly have it in on the 4th or 5th, if I can flesh it out to my satisfaction in time.
tisoz
QUOTE (Chance359)
Tisoz, you bringing Skeeter?

When I was having fun playing him, it seemed I was causing problems. It wasn't much fun playing him halfway. frown.gif
TinkerGnome
QUOTE (JaronK)
Oh, Tinker, do you allow buying edges for Karma? If so, what does it cost?
That depends about 100% on what the edge is. Some are yes, most are no. If you didn't get it through RP, it's 10 karma per point of edge. If you manage to work it into the RP the cost goes down to 5 karma per point of edge. The same applies for buying off flaws (ie, create a good reason for the flaw going away IC and you only pay 5 karma per point to get rid of it).

QUOTE (WinterRat1)
Does the allowed availability of 20 and no rating cap apply to stuff purchased during creation as well as the seasoning part, or only for the seasoning part?
Like tisoz said. The raised avail, etc, is just for stuff bought with SI attached.

I'm honestly not looking forward to character selection in this one. There's a chance that I might simply spawn a second game related to Vein a little more closely (it's a counterterrorism effort surrounding a convention) if the number of quality submissions exceeds the 1 game cap (I'm thinking 8 players).
Misfit Toy
Can we use any of our cash to secure contacts? If so, at what costs? Same as during character creation?
tisoz
QUOTE (TinkerGnome @ Jul 3 2004, 02:24 PM)
Contacts can be purchased after character gen at the same rate they were purchased during charactergen.  5k for level 1, 10k for level 2

First post.

BtW, I didn't thought Belfast was going to ditch Fredrick as a fixer for sending you out with incompetants?
Misfit Toy
Always in the last place one would look...

In any case, Bel most likely will if the trend continues. It wasn't a thought bubble cemented in stone, and considering Skeeter pretty much was non-existant through the actual run and did nothing to risk his life or the success of the mission, chances are he got over it pretty quickly. But if Frederick does continue putting together similar groups, he will in all likelihood split and find someone else to work with.
tisoz
Skeeter was the only incompetant?

Well, if Fredrick calls him, Skeeter will show back up.
TinkerGnome
I'd wager a 100k payday tends to smooth over most things. Skeeter probably wouldn't be called for these runs because they're higher profile. Fredrick apparently felt that doing a favor for Skeeter's guardian on the last one was worth it.
JaronK
Meanwhile, Paris would be more of the mind that it worked, he got paid, so Frederick can't be THAT bad.

JaronK
Misfit Toy
Can we exchange any of the cash we earn (if any) during downtime for Karma? If so, using the same ratio?
TinkerGnome
QUOTE (Misfit Toy)
Can we exchange any of the cash we earn (if any) during downtime for Karma? If so, using the same ratio?
Yes.

On another note, I'm changing deadlines around a bit. I need an email from everyone this Wednesday, July 7th, (to tinkergnome@comcast.net) that includes the following:
  • Character name:
  • Character concept: (1-3 sentances)
  • Contact level for Fredrick: (1-3)
  • Your posting name: (ie, mine is TinkerGnome)
  • Character status: (new/returning/new with returning player)
On Wednesday, I'm going to roll 1d6 + 1 die per level of your contact with Fredrick (so 2d6 or 3d6) and that'll be the order we get to pick between the two games. Right now, the games are:

In Heaven and Earth: An run to eliminate a seriously evil being in Tacoma. Wetwork probably required.

Public Exposure: A counterterrorism run based in Downtown Seattle. Wetwork not as likely.

When your number comes up, you can do one of three things. Decide which game you want to join, decide which player (that rolled lower than you did) you want to join with (you both join the game that player decides to join), or decide that you don't care which game you end up in. The deadline for this will coincide with the deadline for completed character sheets.
Misfit Toy
Cool mechanic. I like it. smile.gif
Digital Heroin
I definitly like the mechanics behind that selection process, gives a nice rounded chance of people getting what would suit them, yet everyone gets included.

Sadly, I'm still indecisive, so I'll be making two or three characters, and deciding upon which to play around deadline time...

Question, you said to ask about optional rules. Athletics and Dodging, CC p. 97, are you allowing that? Not a deciding factor in which character I'm making, but it helps when selecting armor.
TinkerGnome
QUOTE (Digital Heroin)
Athletics and Dodging, CC p. 97, are you allowing that?

Hmm... sure, why not. A few dodging dice in exchange for a complex action shouldn't make a huge difference in the outcome of anything.
Digital Heroin
Now this is evil... I've got so many characters that never came into fruition, and a few of them could quite benefit from that rule... arg... got my nutter of an ex-ganger; a liquid smooth dual pistol adept; hardcore merc; and my speed freak decker. None of 'em completely new, but none ever played through a full run... arg... the decisions...
Misfit Toy
I believe TinkerGnome said that a Decker would be vastly more useful in this game (at leas the In Heaven and Earth one), and I don't think anyone else has mentioned working on one. That'd be the one I'd aim for if I were in your shoes, assuming you couldn't decide between them all. smile.gif

Besides, speed freaks are always cool. biggrin.gif
Digital Heroin
biggrin.gif I design all my characters with some level of versatiliy... Johnny's primarily a Decker, but also a bit Face, and he's 'flex wired as well... comes with the addiction to speed...
JaronK
Quick question: when doing the income between missions, do complimentary skills apply? For example, Paris has Pistols B/R 4 and Knowledge: Gunsmithing 4. Does the gunsmithing work as a complimentary in that case?
last_of_the_great_mikeys
Another question...I assume we have to spend 6 months of lifestyle(s) or the amount unpaid out of that 500000 bucks?

Also, I wish to take the "Friend in High Places" edge. Is this allowed? If so, what types and levels of contact are suitable for this?
TinkerGnome
QUOTE (JaronK)
when doing the income between missions, do complimentary skills apply?

Comp skills aren't going to count for the "working for a living" thing because I don't want it to get too profitable. An average roll for an average character pulls in about 4k. A good roll for a good character can pull in 36k or more. An average roll using comp skills for an average character would pull in 6k. A good roll for a good character using comp skills would pull in 54k or more. I think it starts pushing the bounds of what I want wink.gif

There are two downsides to me using this rule. First, you're not allowed to do anything productive with your downtime while you're using it. So no programming, enchanting, etc, for personal use while you're using it. Secondly, you're not allowed to sell the fruits of normal downtime creation efforts. This means that if you can talismonger, you cannot sell radicals or other products of your work directly. Instead, you have to use the "working for a living" rules to make cash with those skills.

I assume we have to spend 6 months of lifestyle(s) or the amount unpaid out of that 500000 bucks?

Lifestyle is free for the initial downtime. It is not for the 1 additional month that Vein characters had.

Also, I wish to take the "Friend in High Places" edge. Is this allowed? If so, what types and levels of contact are suitable for this?

Most edges are allowed. Keep in mind that knowing someone in high places might get you small perks from time to time (ie, the stuff described by the edge, such as an invitation to a party or a good word in the right ears) and open a few doors, but true help generally carrys an equally hefty pricetag.

I'd consider a megacorp VP, a vice mayor, one of the most elite of elite fixers, a family head in the mafia (or equivalent in other crime rings), or the like to be the limits of the edge. In other words, someone close to the head of power, but without a huge amount of their own. It's likely to be of less use than normal in a game like either of these.
Misfit Toy
Hmm, so someone with a Basket Weaving skill is bringing in the same dough as an Enchanter? There seems to be something screwy there, but I understand your concerns. smile.gif
TinkerGnome
Hey, those are some nice baskets.

The real issue is that if I make some skills worth more than others, it quickly hits the point where you can make more money doing the skill than running. Which was the point of doing it in the first place (a good decker can bring in 50k+ a month in programs to sell and an enchanter can bring in closer to 100k a month). Nice flat cap. Keeps it all under control while making the skills valuable to have aside from the normal uses.
Misfit Toy
Well, some characters had that aspect covered, too. wink.gif But like I said, I totally understand. Just seems weird on the surface.

Maybe putting a cap on how much profit they can make during downtime (like 5,000 nuyen per Etiquette or something) would be better, giving those with more profitable skills more available downtime for other things while only moonlighting on the work side. That way those who have more skill in generating profit can do take advantage of it while not feeling cheated compared to the Amish guy with a stunning mastery of Basket Weaving. smile.gif

This way a programmer can write one really nice program and make a profit from it or an enchanter can refine a few radicals and then have the rest of the time to do whatever, while the mechanic has to put a bit more work time in customizing vehicles at a shop. Some jobs are just easier or less demanding than others afterall.

Just offering up a couple of ideas to play around with, and not just because my character's an enchanter. nyahnyah.gif
last_of_the_great_mikeys
True, but it's a wonderful GM tool. smile.gif
JaronK
Alright, sounds nifty. But along those lines, I'd like Paris to get a piece of cyberware (an eye mod) during his downtime. If I do so, does that mean he can't work for a living this time? It's especially relevent, since the mod is related to his work, and I got it because it seemed if he was going to be repairing guns in his downtime, microscopic vision might be very useful (the mod doesn't actually matter for this downtime though... I didn't roll any 2s or 3s).

JaronK
TinkerGnome
Hmm... I see the need to expand my downtime rules wink.gif

I think, in addition to working for money, I'm going to add in options related to contact upkeep, contact aquisition, etc.

Insofar as surgery (and all injuries, for that matter), I'd say that you just have to take the TN penalty of your average injury to the rolls to make cash. If you have a TN penalty for more than 50% of the month, it applies, I guess.
TinkerGnome
In order to make everyone's life more difficult (okay, so it just seems like that), I've modified the downtime rules. The base cash is lower, but the potential for getting more successes has gone up. The revision is here.

Note that it also includes things like improving contacts, getting new contacts, etc.
JaronK
Rats. Had a great roll so the target numbers didn't change anything, just lost cash. Whaaaaaaa! wink.gif Alright. Almost have him finished up, just tweaking little things here and there.

JaronK
Misfit Toy
Do we need to worry about Training Times for skills?
TinkerGnome
Nope.
WinterRat1
Building Bridges

A character can use his spare time to become better friends with a contact.  To do so, the character rolls his most appropriate etiquette skill against TN 6 for level 1 contacts or TN 10 for level 2 contacts.  One success is sufficient to raise the contact's level by one.

Are those TNs to raise the level of the contact TO that level or FROM that level to the next level? (i.e. TN 6 to go from 0 to 1, TN 10 to go from 1 to 2; or TN 6 to go from 1 to 2, TN 10 to go from 2 to 3)

Also, does this take 1 month as well? And when we are working on relationships with our contacts, is that all we can do with that month of downtime? No money making or other activities?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012