Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Critter Combat...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
elph
Here's something that I really never thought of until I decided to put a critter against a couple runners...

How many dice do they roll for their attack? The critters listed in the Critters book don't have any skills listed. I'm assuming it's all melee combat, but what is their skill at melee combat. There are a few that list to resolve their combat as ranged combat, then what skill is used for that?

As for martial arts and critters. I'm also guessing it would be considered Brawling with no maneuvers.

If I'm overlooking the obvious here, please let me know where to find it.

Thanks
Person 404
Critters use reaction as their combat skill, if memory serves.
mfb
yeah, that's a very obscure rule. as i recall, it's in SR3 under Spirits and Dragons, and also in Critters. check the portion of each which talks about what each stat (Bod, Qui, etc.) means. under Rea, it should mention that critters use Rea as their combat skill.
Kagetenshi
It does serve. Reaction.

~J
elph
Thanks... I thought it'd be something like that. Sometimes they put the information in the most obvious places.
Glyph
They can also use Combat Pool, using up to their Reaction in dice, for melee. It is calculated normally.

By the way, this is one of the reasons that insect spirit queens are so tough - they usually have a Reaction of Force x 3. For, say, a Force: 12 queen... well, you do the math. wink.gif
RedmondLarry
It's described in the "Statistics Key" on SR3.265:

QUOTE (Statistics Key SR3.265)
Reaction. Used for physical attacks by the being.

It's a very poor place to put that attack information, as no one reads the statistics key. People only look at it to learn the meaning of the weird codes in the Body, Quickness, and Essence columns. No one looks at it to learn what "R" means.
Wounded Ronin
In SR it is very possible to be a sterotypical burly Asian martial artist who successfully wrestles tigers and grizzly bears.
BIG BAD BEESTE
Yup, Reaction is used as a critter's Melee Cmbat skill, with Combat Pool up to its rating and the usual uses of Karma Pool.

Of course, if you're dealing with a humanoid critter, IE: one derived from the metahuman races or a sentient that is capable of learning skills (Wendigos, Vampires, Ghouls, Dragons) then as a GM you'll have to add a few skills to the critters profile. I alway found it a bugger that there was no GM guide for magical powers for those critters capable of casting spells etc. IE: how many Force Points do you give a mage vampire or a dragon? What's the average Force rating? Etc.

Maybe we can answer some of these in the upcoming Running Wild Sourcebook.
mfb
vampires and dragons don't have any force ratings. they have essence, and some of them have magic ratings. force is a stat that only applies to spirits (as far as critters are concerned).
Rock-Steady
QUOTE (mfb)
vampires and dragons don't have any force ratings. they have essence, and some of them have magic ratings. force is a stat that only applies to spirits (as far as critters are concerned).

Me thinks BBB talks of the spellpoints they should have.
BIG BAD BEESTE
Yup! Dead on there Rock-Steady.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012