Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [ShadowsOfEurope] Shockwaves of Europe
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
shadd4d
Back in the DotSW discussion, some things about Proteus and Shockwaves came up. Sometimes I do wish that everyone had access to Schockwellen. As a seim-civic duty (wondering if I'll get banned from 2 forums for this), I'm here to give you the references in SoE just to show how Shockwaves did influence the current picture of Europe (not all that much, but some). I'm not explaining them though.

Not to spoil too much, but that's the first half of the Shockwaves campaign, if you know what you're looking for. I let you all make whatever guesses you want.

Don

PS. Any admin who takes offense at this, feel free to bleep it out.

[ Spoiler ]
Crimsondude 2.0
Paranoid?
shadd4d
Not really. It's the question of am I exposing too much of an official product solely based on my ability to read it. Am I giving out info that shouldn't be given out? That's one brings one pause when posting.

Don
Synner
At this point Shockwaves has been out for quite a while and giving a heads up on the various shockwaves shouldn't be a problem - I mean explaining it all is unnecessary but pointing out that the Real Cold War ties into Shockwaves isn't giving anything major away. Both books are now out and if you can find the links go ahead. The problem isn't so much us writers (the links are there for you guys to catch in the first place), but rather the people who haven't played the campaign.

In a way, it's sort of like London, Tir Na nOg and the original Germany sbs, those who've got them will probably get an extra kick out of the book by tracing the links and developments from the material presented therein but they are by no means necessary to understand any of the fundamentals or use the material. SoE is fully self-contained.
shadd4d
At this point Shockwaves has been out for quite a while and giving a heads up on the various shockwaves shouldn't be a problem - I mean explaining it all is unnecessary but pointing out that the Real Cold War ties into Shockwaves isn't giving anything major away. Both books are now out and if you can find the links go ahead. The problem isn't so much us writers (the links are there for you guys to catch in the first place), but rather the people who haven't played the campaign.

I imagine that to be rather unlikely, given that it is published solely in German as is DidSII.

Then here goes.

p. 26-27: FBV Entry,Reference to the 1st Shockwave adventure "Wetterleuchten" (Sheet lightning).

p. 27 Maersk Shadowtalk: Refers to 3rd Shockwave adventure "Die Söhne Lokis" (The sons of Loki)

p. 28 Proteus Shadowtalk: Again, refers to what lead to Shockwaves, 1st and 3rd adventures.

p. 43 & 57 & 164, Shadowtalk and normal text: All of these refer to the events and the fallout of the 5th Shockwave adventure, appropriately entitled "Frankfurt Offline."

p. 57 text: Refers to the 2nd Shockwave adventure entitled "Ein Sturm zieht auf" (The storm breaks).
Those are pretty much the only ones.

Don
FlakJacket
Speaking of Shockwaves, wasn't someone on the boards doing a brief guide on what happened/was in the book? Or am I on crack again?
mfb
i was about to ask the same question, and also suggest that if someone weren't already working up such a guide, someone ought to start.
shadd4d
It's a question of people playing the campaign. Actually, the book itself is pretty brilliant in the fact that the reader has no idea how it finishes except for all the little pieces that finally make sense in the end.

How would one keep it in that format and not "read the last page" to everyone?

Don
FlakJacket
Well since this would be mostly for an English speaking audience that is likely to never run the adventures in the book- since they've said they wont be translating it- that wouldn't really matter greatly would it?
mfb
no kidding. slap in a spoiler warning and lay it out--it's already been made clear by the developers that Shockwaves will never see an official english translation.
shadd4d
Point.

The campaign begins in June 2062. Nachtmeister has died, leaving the Proteus concern high and dry. There are a few factions in play as one sees in the openning fiction:

[ Spoiler ]
So that's the first chapter

Good night.

Don
mfb
sweet.
FlakJacket
You might also want to give a brief overview of how Proteus is set up. I know most of it thanks to early SoE stuff but a lot of the English language crew are still mostly in the dark AFAIK.
shadd4d
That's one of the mysteries you find out along the way. Not going to spoil it.

Mysteries along the way:

1) How it was set up
2) How it makes money
3) What it actually does
4) Who is really behind it
5) What it really controls

Don
Sepherim
Thans a lot, Shadd. Will you explain a bit even the rest of the chapters?
Crimsondude 2.0
Trans-Latvia? The corp that owns like 20% of Novatech.
shadd4d
Hmmm. Where are you getting this about Trans-Latvia?

Don
shadd4d
The Official History of the Proteus AG (abridged from Shockwaves, Smuggler Havens, Germany Sourcebook, Chrom und Dioxin, Walzer, Punks und Schwarzes IC, Deutschland in den Schatten II, and Wunderwelt #49 and #50).

Proteus is founded on January 1, 2049. There are some rumors that the corp had to have massive backing, probably through shell companies, because it appeared to have emerged fully grown from nothing. There were already staff offices, factories, etc. belonging to the corp when it was founded. For the most part, the corp has focused on building arkoblocks and arcologies in hostile or dangerous environments and has built quite a few. It has multiple arcologies in the ADL alone, including its headquarters Helgoland, an arcology in the SOX rad zone, and has taken over and further secured the former Fuchi arcology in Berlin. Proteus has usually been a very silent and mysterious corporation. According to company policy, which is reflected in the management, no worker for Proteus is married or has any relatives where they are stationed. Employees must sign a 10 year contract, which does include some perks such as health care and plenty of space, given that the Proteus Arcologies are underpopulated (each one holds less than the possible 3 million they could hold). Proteus also requested extraterritoritality from both the ADL and Corp Cort and is a solid AA corp.

Although mysterious, this has not stopped Proteus from making some steady gains. They already have their own private army based out of Helgoland. They also own quite a few subsidiares, including the Genom company in Africa. This previously mentioned private army was also a part of the corporate task force that subdued West Berlin in response to the anarchists and the bugs. This private army also valiantly defended Proteus during a hostile takeover attempt by AG Chemie, which did cause some damage to the Helgoland headquarters. Following mediation (and the murder of Chango-Chao) by Nachtmeister, joint ventures and peace seem to have restabilized between Proteus and AGC. Proteus also, surprising for a AA corp, took part in the probe race to Halley's Comet. It is also probably the only AA corp that has its own orbital facilities, parts of which are leased to lesser corporations such as Transys Neuronet, AGC, and ECC. At the beginning of 2062, it seems like Proteus is a comet that will most likely achieve AAA status at some point in the foreseeable future, probably when the next election of Justices comes up.

Proteus is more or less SOTA on biotechnology, aquatechnology, building, heavy industry, drone production, computer programming, cyber and biotechnology, vehichle production for acquatic use, and space technology and nanite technology. Not bad for a corp that seemed to spring fully grown from nothing on Jan 1, 2049.

That's the official history. The truth is much, much scarier.

Don
shadd4d
Let's go on to part 2: Ein Sturm zieht auf:

[ Spoiler ]

That's not everything but it's the gist of the adventure. Somethings should remain secrets.

Don
Nath
QUOTE (shadd4d)
It is also probably the only AA corp that has its own orbital facilities, parts of which are leased to lesser corporations such as Transys Neuronet, AGC, and ECC.

Actually, no. It is established both Hisato-Turner Broadcasting and Trans-Orbital have their own stations in geosynchronous orbit, and according to T:WL most of the 40 or 50 stations in low orbit are small ones owned by corps who rely on space corps for logistic. Also, Federated-Boeing has a launching capacity, and Shibata runs all of Aztechnology spce assets, so they might have some orbital facilities on their own as well.
shadd4d
QUOTE (Nath)
QUOTE (shadd4d @ Jul 20 2004, 12:33 PM)
It is also probably the only AA corp that has its own orbital facilities, parts of which are leased to lesser corporations such as Transys Neuronet, AGC, and ECC.

Actually, no. It is established both Hisato-Turner Broadcasting and Trans-Orbital have their own stations in geosynchronous orbit, and according to T:WL most of the 40 or 50 stations in low orbit are small ones owned by corps who rely on space corps for logistic. Also, Federated-Boeing has a launching capacity, and Shibata runs all of Aztechnology spce assets, so they might have some orbital facilities on their own as well.

Okay. Thanks for the correction. I don't have T:WL, so I didn't know that.

Thanks,

Don
Jon Szeto
QUOTE (Nath @ Jul 20 2004, 09:24 AM)
QUOTE (shadd4d @ Jul 20 2004, 12:33 PM)

Technically, Trans-Orbital is only an A-level corp (barely). Most of its facilities reside in Kansas and upstate New York, but it has some launch and maintenance facilities co-located with Novatech and Proteus offshore from Kenya and French Guyana respectively. Trans-Orbital only has a sort of de facto extraterritoriality, in that there really is no overriding jurisdiction in outer space beyond the corp's.

As Nath mentioned, there are many unspecified AAs (not to mention some AAAs) that own or lease orbital workpods in space, but don't have the means to support them. Only a small handful of AAs (HTB, FedBoeing, Shibata, Proteus) actually have the means to transport materiel and personnel up into orbit. All the others rely on these few for resupply, maintenance, and transportation.
Nath
QUOTE (Jon Szeto)
Technically, Trans-Orbital is only an A-level corp (barely). Most of its facilities reside in Kansas and upstate New York, but it has some launch and maintenance facilities co-located with Novatech and Proteus offshore from Kenya and French Guyana respectively.

... only because they closed that launchpad on Matagorda Island in late 61 or early 62 wink.gif
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (shadd4d)
Hmmm. Where are you getting this about Trans-Latvia?

Don

It was mentioned in Corp Download as owning a chunk of Novatech, yet no one knows who runs it because it somehow fell away from Villiers' control while he was forming Novatech.
FlakJacket
QUOTE (shadd4d)
That's not everything but it's the gist of the adventure. Somethings should remain secrets.

No they shouldn't. Spill yer guts man! smile.gif
shadd4d
QUOTE (FlakJacket)
QUOTE (shadd4d)

No they shouldn't. Spill yer guts man! smile.gif

That's a no-can-do, mostly because I plan on running this given an opportunity. Should this thread get archived, I'd rather that my players couldn't peek here and spoil the campaign.

But here's a tidbit: Monika Stüeler-Waffenschmidt is special for a lot of reasons, not to mention that DotSW is also a book recommended for use in the campaign.

Just to highlight how ueber the characters should be, let me not that there are stat blocks for the opposition. Of the 8 NPC mages, only 2 are not initiates and the lowest grade initiate in the whole bunch is grade 2.

Just to take a look at the books more or less required for the campaign: DidSII, SoE, DotSW, T: WL, M&M, R3, MitS, CC, SR3.

That's to get everything.

Don
Sepherim
So, a campaing for true pros. Seems interesting, and very well built, at least until here. Pity I don't know german...
shadd4d
QUOTE (Sepherim)
So, a campaing for true pros. Seems interesting, and very well built, at least until here. Pity I don't know german...

That's an interesting point you make there. In the flavor text (say it to their face sections), that is a very important undertone that gets highlighted constantly.

And it's very important. Only true pros, both in terms of ability and also in terms of behavior and mannar of carriage, are really going to make it through this campaign.

Don
booklord
A little bit of of conjecture on the first two chapers. I'll put my speculation in spoiler tags.

[ Spoiler ]

[ Spoiler ]
Garland
That first spoiler by booklord makes me so much more interested in Proteus...
shadd4d
Answer to the first:
[ Spoiler ]

Answer to the 2:
[ Spoiler ]

Perhaps she didn't know that Nachtmeister was supporting Proteus? ( Though that dragonfight during the attempted takeover by AG Chemie kind of makes that unlikely ).

[ Spoiler ]

Good conjecture though. That's thinking like a player. Now if only I can run this when I get to U of Chicago.

Don
Synner
As to Ms. Stüeler-Waffenschmidt's possible alleigences I suggest taking a peak at the Widow-Weaver dialogue in DotSW again. There's a comment in there regarding the FBV which may or may not shed some light on Monika's ascension.
shadd4d
Not possessing DotSW, I'm going on what's in Shockwaves. Could someone explain the gist of that comment?

BTW, we do have you to thank for the FBV logo, do we? Although I'm slightly curious, which came first: the logo for SoE or its use for Shockwaves?

Don
Synner
Otaku Mike and I designed most of the logos in SoE a while back, and at the time the FBV logo was in the works but I hadn't finished it. I also helped out the German crew with ironing out some of the German and US canon and when it came up I offered to do it. The one printed in Shockwaves came out in lighter tones than it should and you can't really see the faint outline of the right side, haven't seen the SoE version yet, but I like the way it came out. You have to picture it in black red and yellow though.
booklord
Interesting......

[ Spoiler ]
shadd4d
[ Spoiler ]

Reminds me, I should put up the summary of chapter 3.

Don
Basileus
[ Spoiler ]
Garland
[ Spoiler ]
shadd4d
Let's move on to Chapter 3. As I've slightly forgotten, I should mention the authors.

Prologue: Lars Blumenstein (wrote part of DidSII, and Switzerland in SoE. Also helped on Czech Republic.)
Chapters 1 and 2 are by Tilo Hörter (another DidSII author)
Chapter 3: Die Söhne Lokis (the sons of Loki) by Frank Werschke (who doesn't have a popup at the SARs-Team homepage)

[ Spoiler ]

Personally, I like this one. It gives a few ideas about what is going on and also what will happen. Plus it provides a few puzzle pieces of what Proteus is really doing.

Don
shadd4d
@Basileus:
[ Spoiler ]

@Garland:
[ Spoiler ]

Don
Kanada Ten
And remeber they are interested in Space. Arcologies, space, pollution clean-up technology... They are building bubble wolrds, Earth Seeds.
shadd4d
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
And remeber they are interested in Space. Arcologies, space, pollution clean-up technology... They are building bubble wolrds, Earth Seeds.

That's actually more in line with their goals than you know!

Don
Crimsondude 2.0
Are the spoiler tags really necesasary? This whole thread is a spoiler.

That said... I am shocked, simply shocked to have seen it take so long for someone to type "kaer." That's been a general expectation since Proteus was first really exposed (at least, amongst my circle of playing associates. But then again, they include folks who figured out the end to Brainscan within days of RA:S being released.).

QUOTE (booklord)

It was mentioned that Proteus AG is supported by people who control at least 2 AAA megacorps and 1 AA megacorp.  (as well as probably others)  It would help explain how the corporation went from unknown to SOTA in 15 years.  The only canidate I can think of would be Damien Knight of Ares.  Ares has a lot of the know-how and experience that Proteus would need.  ( Ares has multiple space stations and a big underwater base in the Carribean )

Well, going along with my previous posts. Novatech has a significant Aerospace division inherited from Fuchi, which also had a significant aerospace division. But Villiers is a bastard. Why'd he care?

There are so many suspects, but they are all American-centric. The Villiers, Thomas Roxborough, Arthur Vogel (who has his own questionable financial dealings), forces in the PPC, Dunk's ghost. IT's enough to drive a person mad.
Basileus
shadd4d: I realize that you don't want to post the major spoilers for Shockwave to the forum because you plan on running the campaign in the future and don't want your players to see anything that will spoil it. However, at this point the hints you have dropped are driving me mad, I MUST KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON! Is there any chance you would be willing to either PM or e-mail me a brief rundown of the major spoilers associated with the campaign? I don't have the pleasure of speaking German, and since there are no plans to translate the adventure, you represent my one available source for finding this stuff out. I would be eternally in your debt. Thanks.
Synner
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
There are so many suspects, but they are all American-centric. The Villiers, Thomas Roxborough, Arthur Vogel (who has his own questionable financial dealings), forces in the PPC, Dunk's ghost. IT's enough to drive a person mad.

Funny you should say that. First time I was told I nailed 2 of the candidates and none of them were American. As shadd4d has suggested this is bigger and cleverer than it seems even at this point.
FlakJacket
Oh stop teasing the poor man Peter. smile.gif
Crimsondude 2.0
Well, my perspective happens to lie on a different side of the water's edge.

Hell, Lofwyr sounds like a pretty good contender given the impression I have of his ends justify the means mentality.
booklord
I'm confused. part 3 has a lot of scenarios that I find would be quite difficult to set up.

[ Spoiler ]

I hate to be a critic, but these things feel like the group has to be put on "GM-pilot" to set up some of these highly unlikely situations.

Now onto my latest guesses into who is involved in the proteus conspiracy...
[ Spoiler ]

shadd4d
[ Spoiler ]

[ Spoiler ]

Hmmm, I think I will have to rewrite some of the 3rd chapter, perhaps.

Don

shadd4d
BTW, I really like the cover of Shockwaves. If you look at the art in SoE, basically in the Intro to Europe and the AGS(ADL) then you get to see examples of this artist, Klaus Scherwinski (also helped on SOTA 2063).

Don
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012