Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [ShadowsOfEurope] Euro-slang
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Synner
Check it out. Shadowrunrpg.com has been updated with extensive lists of Euro Slang for those interested.
shadd4d
Cool. This is good.

Don
Austere Emancipator
Edit out the "Finnish" from the Scandinavian Union bit -- there's nothing there that more than a couple of percent of Finns would understand.

[Edit]But the rest is Fun And Informative.[/Edit]
Crimsondude 2.0
Joder= Drek?

Hmm. I must have learned a different Spanish language.
Synner
How come I didn't catch that one? Have to mail Adam.
Guest_JongWK
"Joder" has several meanings in Spanish, depending on the region you are. In some areas you can use it so say you want to have sex with someone, but in others you'll just get blank stares (and boy, if you ever use it in Spain the way we use in the Rio de la Plata...)

We could add a list of the different meanings, what do you think?
JongWK
Oops, didn't realize I wasn't logged in.
Pistons
He's right. Spanish -- dialect, accent or slang -- will be different in North America than it is in South America or in Spain or elsewhere.
Cochise
hackn (n.) -- Job

Interessting ... o.k. it's in the austrian section and there are some differences there, but I'd assume that this should read more like

hackn (n) -- decking

and

abbrannt (adj.) -- Out of cred
abzwickter (n.) -- Dwarf

in german would be

abgebrannt (adj.) Out of cred
Abgezwickter (n.) Dwarf
shadd4d
Just looking at it, hackn looks more like a verb than a noun. Substantive verb, perhaps.

Don
Nidhöggr
hackn really means job (it's more pronounced like hockn), the verb is hackln.

Cochise
With an "o" instead of "a" it does make sense smile.gif ...
~Long time since I've visited our neighbours~
Adam
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
Edit out the "Finnish" from the Scandinavian Union bit -- there's nothing there that more than a couple of percent of Finns would understand.

I've resisted commenting on this since I first read the post, but I think it should be said: Even my bosses preface requests for work to be done with "please" or "can you" or "you should" or /something/ that acknowledges the human element. I've noticed you pipe up with "edit this" or "change that" sort of comments several times - and they may be very valid and useful comments - but a little extra politeness would likely help your comments come across as they were [I believe] intended.

There will be some sort of update to the Euro Slang guide in the coming weeks, after some more new SoE-related stuff is posted.
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Pistons)
He's right. Spanish -- dialect, accent or slang -- will be different in North America than it is in South America or in Spain or elsewhere.

I have learned multiple dialects of Spanish (Mexican, Cuban, Castellano and that Cervantes-era Castellano, Indian and English mashup used in parts of New Mexico). And frankly, "drek" was just not the first word to come to mind when I see the word "joder," or when I use it. I tend to use mierda instead for "drek" in general (or its French alternative since it's only one syllable and easier to utter in an exicted stated). An esasperated version of "drek!" may be joder, and it does depend on context, but I just don't see it that way. However, there YMMV.

Regardless, I have my own little slang dictionary for castellano, but I appreciate the addition of fostiar, for example.
Espresso
"Abbrant" and "abzwickter" are correct. The syllable "ge" is cut out and "ab" pronounced "o". "Hackn" is job indeed.
Cochise
QUOTE (Espresso)
"Abbrant" and "abzwickter" are correct.

Note that I said "in german" ... Bavarians and people in Baden Würrtemberg would understand the versions without "ge" ... but higher in the north you'd just get an raised eyebrow ...
I was merely speaking from the german POV ...
"Hackn" is job indeed.

As I said .. with an "o" I would have recognized it ... I don't talk to Austrians that often ...
The Question Man
Thanks Adam that's great. IMOO it's something that Shadowrun products should have more of.

Gratefully

QM
Sepherim
Actual uses of Joder word in Spainish common street speaking:
"to fuck with someone".
"to create problems for someone"
"drek, as in the expresion "drek!" which mostly has lost it's meaning but is used as "we've got problems" or similar ways"

I'm sure there are even more aceptions to it even, but it's late and I'm not into thinking about language right now.

I'll use another example. "Coño" means, textually, the female reproduction organ. But it's used more commonly as "drek", but with negative connotations.

I'm afraid that learning a language without visiting the country in which that language/dialect is spoken leaves you only with the denotations (spelling?) of the words, but leaves out many of their connotations. I found out when I went to the US.
Austere Emancipator
Adam: Sorry. I realize it was a really stupid thing to say, and I put it very poorly. I absolutely have no business telling you to edit something. Optimally, the message should have been closer to:

"That looks really neat, now I can give some real flavor to foreign shadowydudes! Though I noticed that all the Scandinavian Union slang-words are Swedish (or Norwegian, or Danish) -- I realize that these might well be recognized widely in the other countries of the Scandinavian Union, but in light of the 10% Swedish Speaking statistic (of which only a fraction would know slang) in the Finland Info Block in SoE, it might be a good idea to edit Finnish out of the list of specifically mentioned languages/cultures where the slangwords would work."

I'll try to teach myself some manners, or practice my shutting-up skills.
Larsine
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
"That looks really neat, now I can give some real flavor to foreign shadowydudes! Though I noticed that all the Scandinavian Union slang-words are Swedish (or Norwegian, or Danish) -- I realize that these might well be recognized widely in the other countries of the Scandinavian Union, but in light of the 10% Swedish Speaking statistic (of which only a fraction would know slang) in the Finland Info Block in SoE, it might be a good idea to edit Finnish out of the list of specifically mentioned languages/cultures where the slangwords would work."

IMO there is a big problem with the Scandinavian slag. Finnish is not like any of the three other languages, and even the last three (Swedish, Norwegian and Danish) are somewhat different, especially when it comes to slang. As a Dane I would only ever use the two first examples from the list, where as the rest just sounds silly. Surely I can understand them, just like I can understand Swedish/Norwegian, but I can't imaging it would ever be user as slang by a Danish runner.

A suggestion would be to put the language(s) where the slang-word was used, after the word.

Lars
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Larsine)
As a Dane I would only ever use the two first examples from the list, where as the rest just sounds silly.

Well, I think some of the English SR-slangwords sound really silly, too. Chummer, drek, etc. are rather marginal right now. So, to an extent, if they at least sound funny to you, there's the tiny little chance that they might be in use in 60 years. I know about as much Swedish as the average Finn, and the only word from that list that I just might recognize after much pondering is "gönner", but only when written -- they don't even sound silly, they don't sound like anything. Like you said, Finnish is totally unrelated to the other Scandinavian languages, only having borrowed words from Swedish .

QUOTE (Larsine)
A suggestion would be to put the language(s) where the slang-word was used, after the word.

I second that.
hobgoblin
reading the list of scand slang just cracks me up. some of those would not be used unless your some corp kid that trys to act like a street punk, its just to damn funny smile.gif
Skarn Ka

Running in France

- Hello, sir.
- Hi, man. Got a friend of us to meet here. Know of him ?
- Mr. Dup...
- Yeah, that's it.
- Please just follow the corridor to the back room. Mr. Dupont is waiting for you.

Mr. DUPONT !!! eek.gif
Honestly who did this dead.gif ?
At least it may have been Mr. D, but here this sounds like a joke... I guess it was intended.
I know this is supposed to be one of the most common French names, but honestly I don't know anybody going by that name, and I keep getting flashes of famous Belgian bandes dessinées characters.
"Mr. Martin" would have been more accurate (and IMO less ludicrous), but also less funny (depending on how funny you think it is wink.gif )
lorg
QUOTE ("Austere Emancipator")
Though I noticed that all the Scandinavian Union slang-words are Swedish (or Norwegian, or Danish)

Where did you see all the swedish words? There is 1 out of 11 that is swedish (snut is swedish), the other once are most likely a combo of norwegian and danish.

You are correct in that there are no finnish words in the list, could have something todo with the lack of finnish speaking people, nobody understands that language since it is so different from what they speak in sweden, norway and denmark. Atleast those three languages sound and look somewhat similar.
MYST1C
QUOTE (Skarn Ka)
Mr. DUPONT !!!

Originally, "Monsieur Dupont" was the name given for Mr. Johnson in the French-speaking part of Switzerland, in the German sourcebook Chrom & Dioxin.
shadd4d
I really have to question some of the German slang. Where I am (BW), we also say Depp, say servas as Servus, and last time I checked, Trottel was normal German slang.

Ahhh. I do like having it up though. People always nitpick over the smallest details ignoring the big picture. wink.gif

Don
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (lorg)
Where did you see all the swedish words? There is 1 out of 11 that is swedish (snut is swedish), the other once are most likely a combo of norwegian and danish.

I'm not good at telling the three apart. When spoken, I usually can differentiate between Swedish and Danish at least, often Norwegian too, but when written, especially when slang words, my only clue are the special letters (the "slashed o" for o-umlaut is certainly not Swedish, for example).

My point is that at least you sort of understand what they mean. To me they might as well say czkghgr. I do not mind there not being Finnish words in the lists at all -- like you said, there aren't many that would understand them anyway (~7-8 million, tops). There's little reason to include Finnish slang words based on that. However, there is no reason to assume that Finns would adapt Swedish slang words, either.
hobgoblin
well swedish is in use in finland, reason is that finland was under swedish rule at one time (or something like that, im going by memory here wink.gif )

thats the same reason why the current norwegian language is a mix of mostly danish and swedish, for most of modern history it was under rule of one of those nations. if not we may as well be speaking kinda the same language as they do on iceland...

but the funnyest part about norway and its language is that there are 2 written ones and atleast half a dusin or so spoken dialects where diffrent words are used about the same concept. some are more diverted from the main language tree then others tho smile.gif so moveing from one part of the contry to another can be a confuseing experience for natives wink.gif (speak up people if you think im exaggerating wink.gif ) its like the diffrence from british to australian to american english all in one small contry...
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
well swedish is in use in finland, reason is that finland was under swedish rule at one time

Yes, Finland was under Swedish rule from ~1150 to 1809, but that doesn't mean anything. The massive majority of Finns do not understand Swedish slang at all. Most don't want to. There are large initiatives going on to remove the obligatory Swedish from schools. People mostly learn it because the current laws require you to be able to communicate in Swedish if you want to work in many government jobs.

The Swedish-speaking minority in Finland is far smaller than the Spanish-speaking minority is in the US, perhaps about the same size in the SR times. If Swedish slang is used by the majority in Finland, it will only happen in similar instances as when Spanish slang is used in the US IRL. A few words might leak through to common use, most never will.
hobgoblin
hehe, sorry. like i said i was going by memory. and btw, i have never visited the contry.

oh and slang = streetspeak, mostly young peoples language. streetspeak in the us is a nice mix of english spanish and some other stuff these days no? maybe swedish words in finland have evolved into a similar posision, to confuse the common listener...
mattness pl
Polish slang part:
I think there's error. not WEID?MIN but Wied?min.
I. sz-kop, sennik - great work! Sounds fine in polish.
II. kosiara - heard that somewhere, but fits well.
Rest is used right now(klamka, glina) or archaic(moskal? We called them rusek-Russian plural ruscy/ruski- Russians)(chor?giew? It's too hard to say for polish gangers;) )
Why didn't use non-polish phrases? My daughter is 7, she heard alredy f... off in school but she wasn't aware that is non-polish phrase. Check Clockwork Orange
My suggestions:
-Not syndykat, but miasto(city). "Who's that guys with Kalashnikovs? That's MIASTO").
-czarodziej/ka - czarek(word-play: hard to translate...)/ maguska(she-mage)
-partyzant - le?ni ludzie(forest people; men from forest)
-Chor?giew - as i said before in my opinion doesn't fits. Maybe names taken from district where they act(Centrum-Centre) or from leader's nickname(Ludzie Czarnego-Czarny's(Black) men). Possible variations: for example: Diab?y Czarnego- Czarny's Devils.
- KRASNale(comment for polish author: check WRONa) - soviet troops was called KRASNojarmijcy. In russian krasnoj is red. In polish krasnale-little people, smaller than mushrooms,minidwarves:-).
EDIT: Don't read SoE, but "Rybis_ski"'s secret police may be called rybie oczy(fishy eyes)
For polish players out there: check this topic: Polish Shadowrun Slang - http://www.isa.pl/forum/viewtopic.php?t=178
bitrunner
Although Russia is not included in the book, there is a section on the Vory and it uses a lot of Russian words...

would it be helpful to have a pronounciation guide for these words??

I can whip one up if there is enough interest...
Prospero
You'd be my hero. Though its just a little thing, and I know I'm far from average, it really bothers me if I can't pronounce things correctly, even if they're in foreign langauges. And I have no idea how to pronounce Russian. So color me interested.
Chasgul III
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
but the funnyest part about norway and its language is that there are 2 written ones and atleast half a dusin or so spoken dialects where diffrent words are used about the same concept. some are more diverted from the main language tree then others tho smile.gif so moveing from one part of the contry to another can be a confuseing experience for natives wink.gif (speak up people if you think im exaggerating wink.gif ) its like the diffrence from british to australian to american english all in one small contry...

Ask a Cockney to talk to a Yorkshireman, with a Glaswegian as interpreter, and you'll soon realise that dialects within the UK are seriously different also. All European countries have a wealth of dialects, because they have all had different Tribes settling in different places throughout their history. No one would claim that Polish is the same as Bulgarian, but both are officially Slavonic languages IIRC, and each has at least a dozen recognisable dialects...
SirBedevere
True story from a friend who is an interpreter. A drunken lorry driver was picked up by the cops in Felixtowe (Eastern England) whom they could not understand. Our friend was called in to try Russian and Romanian; a Hungarian speaker was found; Yiddish was attempted and Finnish.
This went on half the night, a total of twelve languages being tried on the poor man to no avail.
Then the Geordie cop came on duty. Geordies come from the North of England from the mouth of the Tyne and Wear rivers. They are the subject of jokes because their accent is so thick.
"eeh, mon, hooaw y'dooin? coom tak a wark mon!" (as close as I can get... I can translate Geordie but not speak it) - it turns out the driver is a Geordie from Newcastle, his accent made more than usually incomprehensible by excess fluidic intake. As the inspector (from Suffolk) said, "aar, bor, dew he doon't toork proper English loike, how be we tew understaand wot he be a sayin' on? Thaars whoolly quare! "

I think this makes the point. It's not just the Americans are divided from the English by a common language.
Botch
No to mention we also have Welsh, Scots, and Gaelic spoken throughout the UK as well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012