Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Kyle Teller ...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
PiXeL01
Kyle Teller was the main character in the novel "Burning Bright". He pops up again in Bug City but aside from that, do anyone know if he is featured in any other book?
He and Seeks-the-Moon have always been my favorate Shadowrun Characters along with Dirk Mongomery(sp?)
shadd4d
Not really. I don't think he appears again, although I haven't read T:UCAS. I think it addresses the end of Bug City and has what happened to the havens and those there.

Don
Skeptical Clown
He was a Dowd character. Doubt you'll ever hear from him again, or any of the other Burning Bright players. Their stats are in Bug City, write your own resolution I guess!
Snow_Fox
"was a Dowd" Tom's never oging to write anythnig again?
Paul
It seems unlikely to me he will write anything for SR in the immediate future. Isn't he really busy making computer games and stuff?

As for Kyle Teller and his former Ally, here is an intresting question-how did StrainIII affect them?
Crimsondude 2.0
Was Teller a Sioux born in the UCAS or a Sioux native?
FlakJacket
He was half Anglo from his mothers side and native on his fathers. Born in the Sioux Nation, but thanks to mom probably had joint Sioux/UCAS citizenship which explains the FBI thing and living there. At least as I remember it.
shadd4d
Also consider that he and the captain (Ravenheart, IIRC) both studied abroad, in Chicago, I believe. I find it a tad odd that the Souix would send mages abroad, i.e. allow others to practice brain drain on their mages, based solely on their magical tradition. Most students abroad who gain degrees in foreign countries tend to end up staying there for extended periods of time. Another reason governments try to invite promising foreigners to be degree-seeking students within their countries.

Don
FlakJacket
Well he was a mage in NAN which is mostly shaman country- there's a mention in the book of this being really embarassing to his dad. And since he seems to take a much more scientific approach to magic rather than mystical, I figure they wouldn't really miss him.
shadd4d
Yeah, but look at Ravenheart, also a mage went to school abroad on a military scholarship(!?!). Somehow, I can see the Souix asking themselves at some point whether they should teach both traditions, especially if the two (Teller and Ravenheart) being educated abroad in relation to the Souix results in them leaving the Souix for greener pastures, so to speak.

Look at modern education markets. It's really competitive dealing with brain drain, especially if the mages in question also have side skills that might be useful, such as doctors or anything commercial. Last time I checked, magic in and of itself didn't pay the bills, it depends what you do with it, and even the elves can't just magically whistle up lots of cred for their state.

Don
booklord
Yeah, but look at Ravenheart, also a mage went to school abroad on a military scholarship(!?!). Somehow, I can see the Souix asking themselves at some point whether they should teach both traditions, especially if the two (Teller and Ravenheart) being educated abroad in relation to the Souix results in them leaving the Souix for greener pastures, so to speak.

Teaching hermetic magic in Souix may not help that much. There appears to be a considerable bias against hermetics in most NAN countries. They've got the skills and ability to get employment whereever they want. So why not split for greener pastures ( so to speak ) when they have the chance?

In Kyle Teller's case, his own father considered him an embarassment. Combined with the fact that with his half-amerind hertitage he even looked like a "pinkskin".... He probably couldn't pack fast enough.

As for Anne Ravenheart, she probably got poached by Roger Soaring-Owl ( Kingth Errant CEO ). Last I read he was enticing all manner of top NAN military folks with the promise of high salaries. Being a hermetic ( at best a second-class magician in the view of many NAN awakened ) just made things easier.
shadd4d
Somehow I can just see this biting the NAN in the butt eventually, if they are allowing maybe 1/3 of their magical potential to just skip out on them. Great Ghost Dance aside, is there any other country that seems to be okay with letting magicians go regardless of tradition, barring perhaps Westfalen.

Don
booklord
Great Ghost Dance aside, is there any other country that seems to be okay with letting magicians go regardless of tradition, barring perhaps Westfalen.

Westphalia, Spain - Basically any country with a strong Catholic, anti-shaman tradition.

Switzerland - Any country with laws that heavily restrict magic use tends to drive away shamans.

Tir Na Nog - If you're not a Path elf or a Irish Druid. You are.... a) most likely unemployed b) on the Tir watch list c) Both

Yakut, West Africa, Australia Aborigine states - Shaman only clubs for much of the regions.

Islamic Jihad areas - Pretty much ALL magicians regardless of stripes are disliked, but I imagine they hate shamans most of all.

Carribean - Those hermetics ( bocor, I spit on thee ) are heretics compared to the true faith of the voudoun.

CAS - Those voudoun are in league with the shedim! Tell me where they are so we can round them up!

That's just off the top of my head.
Crimsondude 2.0
So, an illogical contrivance serving as a plot device. Gotcha.
Synner
As you'd be learning soon enough - that is if you're still buying sourcebooks - not that illogical a contrivance when you look at the realities of the hermetic scene.

No matter how inexplicably common they seem to be in people's games, the truth is that in the canon Sixth World magicians are still a rare commodity, hermetic mages are a fraction of that number and the number of schools and universities (especially independent non-corp affiliated ones) capable of offering higher education in the magical arts are rarer still (the population wouldn't allow anything else).

In North Am, MIT&T happens to be the leading institution and if you want the cutting-edge magical know-how that's where you send your best mages (making sure an OMI agent keeps close tabs on them). Shamanism has it easier since you can dodge the academic approach completely.
BitBasher
No matter how inexplicably common they seem to be in people's games, the truth is that in the canon Sixth World magicians are still a rare commodity, hermetic mages are a fraction of that number and the number of schools and universities (especially independent non-corp affiliated ones) capable of offering higher education in the magical arts are rarer still (the population wouldn't allow anything else).
The problem with that is that after some choice lines in MITS magic itself is NOT rare, it's common. 1 in 100 people are magically active with the vast majority of them full mages. That's what, 60 Million magically active people? If 1 in 10 is a hermetic that's still not remotely rare, magic in SR was made common, and not special, nor rare. With exceptions, traditions like hermetics are at best uncommon. Where I work even just by straight percentages there would be 50 or so magically active people at my organization. You can't hit [edit] swing [/edit] nyahnyah.gif a dead cat without hitting someone magically active.

Incidentally, that line in MITS is one of the things that really, really annoyed me and seriously boned with the atmosphere of the canon world.

Sorry, I'm done now. frown.gif
tjn
QUOTE (BitBasher)
You can't hit a dead cat without hitting someone magically active.

DUDE! I knew the shedim were invading cats too!... People say they're so cute... but I know better! Evil! Pure evil! Their hearts pump black crude! They're after me... I don't know how much longer I have... I think they're outside... OH DEAR GOD!
Ol' Scratch
Magic being common fits the themes and presentation of magic in the Sixth World just fine. It's still rare enough to be envious and largely an enigma to the majority of the world's population (you know, that 99% of the population that isn't Awakened in any way... with 99% being a rather big number in the grand sceme of things), yet common enough to fit the fact that they're still seen everywhere, including the shadows where they're a dime a dozen.
BitBasher
I dramatically preferred the earlier stance of "the average man will not during his natural lifetime see a real mage unless he deliberately goes out of his way to do so" instead of "statistically you went to high school with a few dozen mages."

I dislike that magic is neither rare nor special, but that's just me.
Ol' Scratch
The only change is that the numbers were altered to be more believable with the presentation of magic in the game. It was the earlier editions that were flawed in that regard, not 3rd Edition. They're still far rarer than metahumans by quite a huuuuuge margin. For every 1 magician you knew in high school, you knew 13 elves, 16 orks, 2 dwarves, 2 trolls, AND (not or, but and) 1 miscellaneous freak. That's still pretty rare.
hyzmarca
Statistics are meaningless. There may be 60million mages in the world, but they're not spread out evenly across the globe. Since awakening is both based on genetics and exposure to mana, it is probable that some regions have a large percentages of magicaly active people while some have less than 1% Someone who grew up in NAN probably went to school wth several Shaman. Someone spent his entire life in Maine probably has never met a mage. People who live near mana spikes are more likely to become mages than people who live in mana-starved regions, as well. This also means the Metroplex will have lower relaitive population of mages than areas that are rich in plant and animal life like Amazonia or NAN .

Synner
The problem with that is that after some choice lines in MITS magic itself is NOT rare, it's common. 1 in 100 people are magically active with the vast majority of them full mages. That's what, 60 Million magically active people?

I'm not sure where that quote is from because all I have in MitS is:
Only 1 percent of people in the Sixth World can use magic. A fraction of that percentage are aspected magicians, never get the proper training, or go crazy trying to deal with their gift.

No reference to the number of full mages let alone hermetics or even that hermeticism is the most common tradition (and by how much) anywhere but in North Am. I'm going to disregard the 60 million because that implies worldwide figures and the dominant magical traditions in the Eastern cultures (Wuxing, Shinto, Hindu, etc) are going to skew the way those figures could be read - not to mention the fact that the percentage is global and the incidence of magical talent is higher in certain regions (ie. TNO) than others.

Let's take a typical American sprawl like Seattle with a population of 3 million as a sample instead. So 1% of the population is magically active and the vast majority of those are full mages. For argument's sake, let's say that minus that fraction we're talking about something like 7 out of 10 (or 0.7%) with the remainder (0.3%) being adepts, Aspected magicians, etc. In Seattle and North Am the dominant tradition amongst those 7 would be Hermeticism (although proximity with the NAN might balance things out) - let's say 5 out of those 7 (0.5%). So, we're now talking about figures in the range of 15000 mages (including academics, wagemages, street mages, et al) in the sprawl or 1 in every 200 people (still rare by my maths). According to SSG (and other sources) the vast majority of those with any kind of official schooling are tagged and gobbled up by corps (as wagemages and secmages) and even governments and militaries - and are not the sort of people you'll be meeting on the streets everyday. Some others will probably end up in academia, yet others will go into the arcana and enchanting markets and finally some will try making it as independent magical service providers and (legal) street mages.

With the kind of money these "semi-rare" magicians can make staying strictly legal, there's not that much incentive to run the shadows. That's what I meant about being rare. Don't know about you, but if this was something only one in a every couple of hundred people I meet could do, I would consider it rare.

[edit] I must be ill, it's the second time today I find myself agreeing with Dr. Funk.
kevyn668
QUOTE (BitBasher)
I dramatically preferred the earlier stance of "the average man will not during his natural lifetime see a real mage unless he deliberately goes out of his way to do so" instead of "statistically you went to high school with a few dozen mages."

If you went to High School w/ 3600 people and knew each and every single one of them. If that's the case, consider your self fortunate to be such a popular fellow. smile.gif
BitBasher
I don't disagree with your breakdown by tradition, ect.. I kind of commented not directly on what you were talking about... I was commenting on magical activity as a whole...

And as a note to that I agree with your percentages, I just don't consider that "rare" I consider that uncommon. Depending on your job you come into contact with hundreds of people a day.

As a side note, since what determines magical activity does not discriminate, and does not manifest until puberty typically, there are a pile of asshat wasteoid magicians that you don't WANT working for corps, ect. Just think of Jerry Springer and that 1 of 100 of his guests will be magically active. biggrin.gif
kevyn668
Okay, the Jerry Springer thing almost made me spew milk outta my nose from laughing...

No offense if this is just a nit pick but to use your "depending on your job, you may come in contact with hundreds of people a day.." example, just b/c you come in contact with that magicaly active person, doesn't mean you see him or her "do" magic. So, you wouldn't really know that they were magicaly active. If you look it at like that, than the whole "a person could go his whole life w/o seeing real magic..," statement would actually make sense.
BitBasher
I may be biased here, because I work in a jail and I would see magic out the wazoo. biggrin.gif
kevyn668
No pun intended?

(sorry, bad joke smile.gif)

edit: Oh wait, was that Springer reference?
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Synner @ Jul 28 2004, 05:05 PM)
I'm not sure where that quote is from because all I have in MitS is:
Only 1 percent of people in the Sixth World can use magic. A fraction of that percentage are aspected magicians, never get the proper training, or go crazy trying to deal with their gift.

No reference to the number of full mages let alone hermetics or even that hermeticism is the most common tradition (and by how much) anywhere but in North Am. I'm going to disregard the 60 million because that implies worldwide figures and the dominant magical traditions in the Eastern cultures (Wuxing, Shinto, Hindu, etc) are going to skew the way those figures could be read - not to mention the fact that the percentage is global and the incidence of magical talent is higher in certain regions (ie. TNO) than others.

First of all, the quoted text clearly included aspected magicians (of which adepts are assumed to be). Second, the context of "a fraction of that percentage" is also indicating that it's a small fraction. If you just read it at face value it could be 9.99999/10, but then it would read "the vast majority of that percentage." But the context is pretty clear: It's referring to a small number of them.

Let's take a typical American sprawl like Seattle with a population of 3 million as a sample instead. So 1% of the population is magically active and the vast majority of those are full mages. For argument's sake, let's say that minus that fraction we're talking about something like 7 out of 10 (or 0.7%) with the remainder (0.3%) being adepts, Aspected magicians, etc. In Seattle and North Am the dominant tradition amongst those 7 would be Hermeticism (although proximity with the NAN might balance things out) - let's say 5 out of those 7 (0.5%). So, we're now talking about figures in the range of 15000 mages (including academics, wagemages, street mages, et al) in the sprawl or 1 in every 200 people (still rare by my maths). According to SSG (and other sources) the vast majority of those with any kind of official schooling are tagged and gobbled up by corps (as wagemages and secmages) and even governments and militaries - and are not the sort of people you'll be meeting on the streets everyday. Some others will probably end up in academia, yet others will go into the arcana and enchanting markets and finally some will try making it as independent magical service providers and (legal) street mages.

The use -- both in-game and in the context of this thread -- of the word "mages" is a generic term refering to all traditions whereas "Hermetic mage" is a specific term speaking of a single tradition. And, again, aspected magicians were specifically covered in the small percentage of the MitS quote.

1 out of 100 is simultaneously rare (that's approximately how many people worldwide have schizophrenia, for example) while still being pretty common (outnumbering doctors or even lawyers both local and abroad -- and I'm sure most people have met at least one of those). It's a good number, and it's one that reflects the game world pretty nicely to boot. Also, despite your claims to the contrary, magicians are way more common in the shadows than in most other "professions." How many teams do you know of have no magicians whatsoever? Precious few. And considering most teams will be about 4-7 people, and even assuming it's only in in ten teams that has a magician, that's still a lot more common than 1 out of 100 runners.

With the kind of money these "semi-rare" magicians can make staying strictly legal, there's not that much incentive to run the shadows. That's what I meant about being rare. Don't know about you, but if this was something only one in a every couple of hundred people I meet could do, I would consider it rare.

As previously mentioned, it's closer to one in every hundred people rather than every couple of hundred.

I must be ill, it's the second time today I find myself agreeing with Dr. Funk.

1. I couldn't care less if you agree with me or not, especially considering I wasn't even talking to you.

2. Much like the MitS quote, the context of your statement is clear, and I'm getting sick and tired of people attacking me as a person. I've already talked to the administrator's about my handles and in the last few days I've been doing my best to ignore various troll baits and flames (which is very difficult for me since I obviously have a problem keeping my opinions in check). Yet here I find myself the target of a snide remark by someone who pretends to champion proper online etiquette and only a few hours ago was chastising someone else in another thread about proper behavior. In a response to someone else, no less.

If you like or don't like what I have to say, feel free to comment on that in whatever tone you like or ignore it completely. But if you could drop the hyprocritical attitude by bemoaning other's behavior one minute only to troll someone you don't particularly like the next, I'd appreciate it.
BitBasher
Liking the lawyer analogy I can put this in perspective:

If only half of magically active people were mages, (which should be more because a fraction aren't. a fraction implies less than half.) then that would be 11476 full mages minimum in the state of nevada, and 22953 magically active individuals. There are 5091 Registered Lawyers. This means that there are about 2 and a quarter full mages for each lawyer, and 4 and a half magically active people per lawyer...

wait for it... biggrin.gif

You never hear people say "Lawyers are rare, we need more lawyers" Thus I propose that there are too many magically active people, way over the number of lawyers! biggrin.gif wink.gif
Zazen
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
I'm getting sick and tired of people attacking me as a person.

Me too. ohplease.gif
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (BitBasher @ Jul 28 2004, 11:41 PM)
If only half of magically active people were mages, (which should be more because a fraction aren't. a fraction implies less than half.) then that would be 11476 full mages minimum in the state of nevada, and 22953 magically active individuals. There are 5091 Registered Lawyers. This means that there are about 2 and a quarter full mages for each lawyer, and 4 and a half magically active people per lawyer...

Right. But it's not like all of those vast numbers of magicians can be found in any single profession. They're spread out through hundreds of different occupations, both legal and illegal. Some professions will have more then the normal percentage of awakened members (security, research, and educational fields) as opposed to others (most any blue collar fields). So while you're more likely to know a quite a few magicians if you run in the former circles, your average Joe Schmoe won't. And if he did it was probably in passing or at a concert or something like that.

So again, those numbers work out quite nicely with the way they're protrayed in the game world. Magicians are relatively common in the grand scheme of things, moreso in the shadows than many other fields, yet your average person isn't going to personally know more than maybe one or two in his entire life if even that many.

The reverse is true of other character aspects, like orks. For every human in Seattle, there's roughly 16 orks. Yet rich, professional urban types will know only a fraction of that number whereas blue collar types (where an ork's natural aptitudes excel) will probably know a multiple of that figure. Does that mean there's too many orks (from the blue collar perspective) or not enough (from the rich white playboy perspective)? It's about the same thing.
Synner
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein @ Jul 29 2004, 05:00 AM)
The use -- both in-game and in the context of this thread -- of the word "mages" is a generic term refering to all traditions whereas "Hermetic mage" is a specific term speaking of a single tradition.  And, again, aspected magicians were specifically covered in the small percentage of the MitS quote.

Not entirely correct. There maybe possible confusion in this thread but I chose my words carefully. "Magicians" is the generic term used in SR, while "mages" is a short form for those that follow the Hermetic path/hermetic mages.

Also, despite your claims to the contrary, magicians are way more common in the shadows than in most other "professions."  How many teams do you know of have no magicians whatsoever?  Precious few.  And considering most teams will be about 4-7 people, and even assuming it's only in in ten teams that has a magician, that's still a lot more common than 1 out of 100 runners.

We should agree to disagree. One things is what we see in people's games (which might even have fully magic type teams), another is what the figures should be. I have no problem with that

As previously mentioned, it's closer to one in every hundred people rather than every couple of hundred.

To clarify - I was talking specifically about hermetic "mages" (see above) rather than full magicians and the figures I suggested (admittedly skewed as they may be) point to 0.5% which if my math isn't failing me is 1 in 200. If this was unclear, or subject to misunderstandings I apologize.

If I had been referring to shamans, for instance, I would have noted the often-mentioned fact that shamans find it harder to fit into the wagemage/suit-and-tie formula and so their numbers in the shadows would probably balance out the dominance of the hermetic tradition in global terms.

1.  I couldn't care less if you agree with me or not, especially considering I wasn't even talking to you.

2.  Much like the MitS quote, the context of your statement is clear, and I'm getting sick and tired of people attacking me as a person.  I've already talked to the administrator's about my handles and in the last few days I've been doing my best to ignore various troll baits and flames (which is very difficult for me since I obviously have a problem keeping my opinions in check).  Yet here I find myself the target of a snide remark by someone who pretends to champion proper online etiquette and only a few hours ago was chastising someone else in another thread about proper behavior.  In a response to someone else, no less.
If you like or don't like what I have to say, feel free to comment on that in whatever tone you like or ignore it completely.  But if you could drop the hyprocritical attitude by bemoaning other's behavior one minute only to troll someone you don't particularly like the next, I'd appreciate it.

I honestly had no intention of being provocative or trolling. In fact the comment signals agreement with you so I was initially at a loss why it might provoke this reaction. I can see where the lead in might be misconstrued as a jibe though, even though it was nothing but a simple statement of fact. I'm sure you'll agree that since we have been on opposite ends of discussions here on DSF enough times, it's reasonable -in my mind - to comment on the rare ocassion that we were in agreement. While you might not care, I obviously did, at least enough to comment on the strangeness of it. Take that as you will.

So that there is no confusion possible, I would like to say your points and arguments, here and elsewhere, are normally well-informed and well-grounded, and though I more often than not I don't agree your assumptions, I respect them over a lot of other stuff I see on the net and find it interesting to discuss them with you (otherwise I wouldn't bother). I fail to recall one instance where I have attacked you personally rather than your arguments (or anyone else for that matter) and I fail to see why you would take this time to be any different.

Why you would see this might as a purposeful attack though or why it would merit this sort of reaction is beyond me. The subject of the comment was myself not you, and it simply expressed my strangeness at finding myself in complete agreement with your views (whatever you chose to read into it is your call and was never my intention) and it came about after reading a couple of other posts you'd made in the last few hours and realizing I was yet again in agreement with your opinion.

If you have been subject to trolling or harassment, I do think you should bring it up with the moderators.
Skarn Ka
QUOTE (kevyn668 @ Jul 29 2004, 01:37 AM)
to use your "depending on your job, you may come in contact with hundreds of people a day.." example, just b/c you come in contact with that magicaly active person, doesn't mean you see him or her "do" magic. So, you wouldn't really know that they were magicaly active. If you look it at like that, than the whole "a person could go his whole life w/o seeing real magic..," statement would actually make sense.

That's true, and I believe there's another point to take into consideration: With the exception of (relatively) rare elemental manipulation magic as well as entertainment magic, most spells do not create spectacular effects to be seen by mundane people (at most a faint shimmer in the air IIRC).
This means most uses of magic will not even be perceived by mundanes, and this should contribute to the aura of weirdness existing around magic.
OTOH I see magic a lot like weapons today: many people (especially in Europe I guess) see and touch them only occasionally, but the media, games, movies, news are full of them.
You don't really find weapons weird 'cause you know they're a full part of this world, even if you never had one in your hands. You have misconceptions about them and hear people babbling about them, posing as (or being) specialists, but contributing to the mythical aura they have. And when you find yourself with one in your hands, you realize all you heard about them is half-true.
The analogy with magic does not hold far, but I think there's something in it: People know this is an aspect of the daily life and talk about it much but don't face it directly because it's still rare and they're still unfamiliar with it when it falls on them.
Like weapons, what's known in magic is "pop", "media" magic, not the real thing (that's probably too serious and boring).

On a different note I agree that the percentages of magically active people must be very low and that you take the problem from the wrong end when you say "Each team as a magician so they're common". These are mechanics for game balance, and in my game the number of runners teams who boast an Awakened member is pretty low - but then my groups are always considered to be in the big leagues, and there are only a few capable teams in every sprawl.
Groups with a good rigger, good decker and full magician are very rare IMO and that's the reason why I always consider teams like this as elite.
Nath
When estimating awakened manpower available for work, don't forget to consider age. To take sample data from the US Census 2000, 25% of the population is under 18, 10% between 18 and 24, and 12% over 65 years old. That would be about nearly half of the population, and thus half of the Awakened population, that is too young or too old to work. Well, you could consider young awakened between 18 and 24 could work half-time as security magicians to pay their studies ; and some researchers could continue beyond 65. But even with a more opptimized pyramid of ages you could still drop at least a quarter and probably a third or more of the number.
Camouflage
Keep in mind, that there should be very few magically active people beyond the age of 52.
Nath
QUOTE (Camouflage @ Jul 29 2004, 03:56 PM)
Keep in mind, that there should be very few magically active people beyond the age of 52.

I have no clue about the awakening curve. Miles Swiburne and Daniel Coleman were born before 2011 and become active magicians only with the Awakening. As far as we know, all the shamans involved in the Great Ghost Dance weren't 8 years old children born after the Awakening.
nezumi
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
The reverse is true of other character aspects, like orks. For every human in Seattle, there's roughly 16 orks.

Humans now make up less than 7% of the population? Or did you mean for every 16 humans in Seattle there's roughly 1 ork?

Re: The lawyer analogy... I've never seen a rat in the wild where I live, however I don't say we need more rats : P I would definitely say we need more doctors, however.
kevyn668

Synner Posted on Jul 29 2004, 04:53 AM
...Why you would see this might as a purposeful attack though or why it would merit this sort of reaction is beyond me. The subject of the comment was myself not you, and it simply expressed my strangeness at finding myself in complete agreement with your views (whatever you chose to read into it is your call and was never my intention) and it came about after reading a couple of other posts you'd made in the last few hours and realizing I was yet again in agreement with your opinion.

If you have been subject to trolling or harassment, I do think you should bring it up with the moderators. 

In all fairness, the Doc has been the target of numerous snide personal attacks over the last week or so. The majority of Threads I've viewed have had at least one joker saying "I can't believe I'm agreeing w/ Doc Funk," or "At the risk of pulling a Doc Funk..." and similar crap.

So, he's more than justified in his comments here. If it were me on the recieving end of that shit, I would have lost my cool 6 threads back.

While you may not have meant any harm by your comment (which is strange considering the context and how you went out of your way to edit your post) it's easy to see how it could interpreted as such.
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (nezumi @ Jul 29 2004, 09:14 AM)
Re: The lawyer analogy...  I've never seen a rat in the wild where I live, however I don't say we need more rats : P  I would definitely say we need more doctors, however.

Heh, all these talks about lawyers.... Try and see how many are registered in Maryland, DC and Virginia. It's one of the highest concentrations around, I could swing a dead cat around on a given day and get sued by no less than 3 lawyers on the street.... nyahnyah.gif

actually I'm in law school....
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (nezumi)
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein @ Jul 29 2004, 02:41 AM)
The reverse is true of other character aspects, like orks.  For every human in Seattle, there's roughly 16 orks.

Humans now make up less than 7% of the population? Or did you mean for every 16 humans in Seattle there's roughly 1 ork?

That should have been "for every magician." Sorry.
Paul
I happen to think Doctor Funkenstein is perhaps one of my favorite posters of all time. He quite often is one of the most prolific as far as my internet minute is concerned.

I do admit to using the shortened version of his name-Doc Funky-but thats because I type like ass.

Regardless of which handle you're using, I like reading your posts. (Thats why I tried to recruit you to Bulldrek. Hell I wish you lived in Michigan-we'd kidnap you for our group for sure.)
Synner
QUOTE (kevyn668 @ Jul 29 2004, 02:20 PM)
While you may not have meant any harm by your comment (which is strange considering the context and how you went out of your way to edit your post) it's easy to see how it could interpreted as such.

True and in that event I apologize. The edit was simply because I only realised the fact after checking a couple other threads I was following and since I thought it was particularly noteworthy I posted in this one. Rest assured, I'll refrain from such comments in the future.

And now back to the topic at hand...
Black Isis
Personally, I think you can adjust this however you want -- in my games, I usually play it so that it breaks down this way:

1 in 100 people is Awakened; however, some of those people are never going to develop their potential. Either they live in some remote part of the world (like, say, Papua New Guinea) and never learn how to use it or they suffer some sort of trauma early in life that prevents them from making anything of their magical talent, or at least anything more impressive than a few "reflexive" talents.

Of the remainder, the vast majority are adepts or aspected magicians of some sort. Say, 90%. They make up the bulk of "wage mages," since they can do warding, magical support, spirit conjuring, and enchantment as well as any full magician. The remaining 1 in 1000 people are full magicians, of one tradition or another.

However, even these people don't necessarily make full use of their talents. After all, a doctor who happens to also be a full magician probably isn't going to know many spells other than a few Health spells, and he's probably not doing a lot of cutting-edge research in the magical field if he's spending all his time in the emergency room as a trauma surgeon or advancing the field of genetic engineering. Spirits aren't of too much use to him other than sustaining spells during surgery really. Hell, someone who is Awakened may decide they don't want to be a magician at all -- they have the talent, but instead, they want to be an astronomer or a jet pilot or an actor. Just because you have the ability to do something doesn't mean you have to do it. Admittedly, you would probably get a lot of pressure to go into magic if you have the talent for it just because not anyone can be a mage or a shaman, but there's no hard and fast rule....
Zazen
QUOTE (kevyn668)
The majority of Threads I've viewed have had at least one joker saying "I can't believe I'm agreeing w/ Doc Funk," or "At the risk of pulling a Doc Funk..." and similar crap.

Which is like a warm summer breeze compared to some of the stuff he dishes out. nyahnyah.gif

That he would chastise anyone for a personal attack is completely and utterly ridiculous, let alone these barely-needling remarks. I'm genuinely surprised to see anyone take it seriously.
BitBasher
If it makes you feel better, I'm not taking it seriously! biggrin.gif
Zazen
Y'know, it does a little.

I'm going off on a dubious vacation for a week, so adios for a while. smile.gif
Odin
Regardless of which handle you're using, I like reading your posts. (Thats why I tried to recruit you to Bulldrek. Hell I wish you lived in Michigan-we'd kidnap you for our group for sure.)

hmmm watch out Doc! "THE MAN's" after you!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012