Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Endurance
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Azrael
Has anyone ever created rules to determine the effects of prolonged lack of food water has in game terms? The reason I ask - my players (read: poor bastards) are going to be stuck inside the arcology when it shuts down with clothes on their backs.
Abstruse
I think either Target: Wastelands or Target: Awakened Lands has a lot of info on survival and rules for lack of food/water/etc.

And just to give your PCs a fighting chance, remember there are laws dictating that a public building must have so many water fountains, fixtures, etc. and the Arc was full of fountains. Getting the NutraSoy Chocolate Yum-Yum Bars out of a vendinging machine controlled by the central computer, though, would be much more interesting...

The Abstruse One
Pinel
Target: Wastelands had Survival skill rules which are easy to adapt to your scenario.

In a situation like this, you should consider granting bonuses to find water to any runner with Knowledge skills like Architecture, Plumbing or Building Maintenance (hey, you never know, a former janitor who went into the shadows...)

Azrael
I just checked the one place I can get Target: Wastelands in my desolate corner of the planet, and its a bit pricey ($50 Aus + shipping) and about two month lead time - would you guys be morally OK in giving me the snapshot view of the rules (eg x hours without hydration = + y modifier)?
Pinel
I have no idea how morally or legally reprehensible it is for me to "sort of quote" part of a sourcebook in here. Can the assorted Big Kahunas of this board please let me know if this will result in immediate confiscation of my Dikoted Ally spirit (which I haven't had sex with yet) ? If you promise you WILL order the book and get the full rules, I guess I can still look myself in the mirror...

The rough system is as follows: each runner rolls a Survival skill check once a day (target 6, after applying all mods that seemed to fit to your scenario). Roll 1d6 and substract from the result the number of successes rolled by a runner. This gives you the number of boxes of Stun damage the runner takes. This damage is permanent until the runner escapes the arcology and rests. A runner reaching Deadly Stun this way collapses into dead weight for the rest of the team and can't make any more Survival tests. Note that Target: Wastelands gives you lots more options, complete modifiers by climate, group tests options, etc...

Statistically, this means an average 2-3 days survival time for unskilled humans, and we're not taking into account any combat or accidents.
Jason Farlander
If you scroll down to the bottom of the page, you will find a legal blurb that contains the following:

WizKids, LLC has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website

I dont think youre violating anything by posting a specific rule here, even though such a rule might be considered proprietary,insofar as you are doing so for informational purposes.

Just try not to quote entire chapters. That starts getting a little iffy.
toturi
Lawyers. I HATE Lawyers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012