Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Surprise and melee combat
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Orion
Hopefully this is an easy question and I am just not finding rules description for this.

If someone is surprised, and attacked in melee (Edged Weapons, Cyber Combat, Unarmed Combat, Martial Arts, etc.), can they counter using an appropriate skill? i.e. Edged Weapon, Unarmed, etc.

To be clear, in the reaction test Player A gets 4 successes in the Reaction test against Guard B, and the Guard gets 3 successes. Now the Guard can not take an action action against Player A, and he is attacked by Player A with a katana.

Guard B is carrying his Stun Baton, can he parry the attack?

My first impression would be no, he is surprised, however I couldnt find a ruling to support that. I have had players claim that even though they are suprised they always get to counter.

Brazila
He is aware of the attack so he should get a roll to defend, but I don't think he can use combat pool at all. No books with me, so not sure on this.
Necro Tech
The person surprised would get no combat pool and could only use full defense. That would be completely within the rules. But, and this is big, the person who rolled lowest, (didn't beat anyone) would get no roll as per the rules.
Ol' Scratch
A Surprised character doesn't even get to use full defense; you don't get to do anything that directly affects, impedes, or counters a character who beat you in the Surprise Test. Damage Resistance and other passive Resistance Tests (like spell resistance) is about all you have going for you, and even then you can't use your Combat Pool to help out.
JaronK
Similar question: let's say a PC has cyber implant combat, but no hand to hand combat skills. An NPC charges him and attacks in hand to hand. The PC had his SMG out, and has Retractable Cyber Spurs which aren't out. Can the PC whip his spurs out in response and fight, or is he treated as having no skill until his turn when he can unsheath the spurs?

JaronK
GrinderTheTroll
He could default to HTH from Cyber-Implant weapons, but unless he has them out, he needs to defualt.
Sargasso
Isn't poping out spurs a free action?
Ecclesiastes
Yes, but he doesn't have any actions at all, not even free.
Sargasso
::chuckle:: Sorry, since the names and types of actions in Shadowrun and D&D are so similar, I mix and match sometimes. In D7D you get a free action on everyone else's turn too. "He's attacking me? I spend my free action to draw my spurs"
Ecclesiastes
<Shakes fist at you, then points at the Shadowrun GenCon sign>
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Ecclesiastes)
Yes, but he doesn't have any actions at all, not even free.

IIRC he actually does, he just can't use any of them against anyone who surprised him.

~J
Ecclesiastes
True.
Kagetenshi
So in this case he'd deploy his cyberspurs, but it wouldn't actually do him any good 'till the non-surprise round came up.

~J
iPad
Its how you knife someone in the back...
BitBasher
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
So in this case he'd deploy his cyberspurs, but it wouldn't actually do him any good 'till the non-surprise round came up.

~J

Because he wouldn't get to roll to counterattack, right.
JaronK
Wait, if it wasn't a surprise round, can you pop out your spurs when someone attacks you? Let's say there's a guy with a Kitana charging you, you shoot him, but fail to take him down, and he attacks you. Can you pop out the spurs when he engages you in hand to hand?

JaronK
Kanada Ten
Yes, every character receives a free action on the action of other characters. Unless your GM says no, which isn't uncommon.
RedmondLarry
QUOTE (Free Actions @ SR3 p. 105)
Free Actions taken by characters during Combat Phases other than their own always take place last in the Combat Phase.

So you don't get to pop spurs till after you've been attacked, unless you do it on a prior phase. And, of course, you can not take a Free Action prior to your first Combat Phase in the first Initiative Pass.
Rory Blackhand
Yes, every character receives a free action on the action of other characters.

Only if you already acted at least once in the round. If you are too slow to see it coming you can't react to it.
RedmondLarry
Rory, that's only during the first Initiative Pass.

Kanada Ten, if two characters both act during the same Phase you only get one Free Action that Phase.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012