Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Focus Type
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
GunnerJ
What I basically wanted was a way to attach adept powers to a focus so that someone who bonds it can access those abilities as if they had the power. This is a very rough idea of how such a thing might work.

Ability Foci

Ability Foci are foci which "store" the powers of an adept into them. Like all foci, they have a force rating. An Ability Focus can "store" (Force/2) Power Points worth of Adept powers in them. (That is, a .5 PP ability would require a Force 1 Ability Focus).

The karma cost to bond an ability focus is (Force*4). The owner of the focus, once it is bonded, can use the powers stored in it as if he/she were an adept with that power, with all the same limitations.

Notes: The Improved Attribute Power costs .5 PP for the purposes of storing it in an Abiltiy Focus.

I'm still sketchy on how to make such a thing (i.e., the enchanting mechanics, how to "put" a power "into" it). Also, I'm aware that for some adept powers, this kind of thing may make Anchoring pointless. IMO, Anchoring is already pretty pointless, and I personally intend to houserule away as much of its lameness as I can, but that is a topic for another thread.
BitBasher
Actually anchoring is far from pointless, really. It has a lot of positive uses.
GunnerJ
Yeah, but there's also a lot of idiocy (I'm thinking about drain, targeting, and the necessity of re-linking each time a spell is used) that keeps Anchoring from really shining in my eyes.

But again, a topic for another thread. Any thoughts on the new focus?
RangerJoe
*activates focus*

"I know kung-fu....better."
Herald of Verjigorm
For 1 karma and whatever object cost, a human mage can get natural thermographic and flare comp. A better deal than trying to quicken nightvision.
GunnerJ
Bonding cost is 4*Force, so it'd be 4 karma.

EDIT: Also, consider that the nuyen cost for foci tends to be pretty damn steap. It's not something you can just brush off when comparing to quickening. Cost tends to scale with the power or usefulness of a focus, and I consider the possibile benefits of this type of focus to be in the same category as a weapon focus or a spell catagory focus. Look up the costs for those, it's definately not something that can be easily looked over.
GrinderTheTroll
I like the idea, but how do you "cast" the power on the Adept Focus?
GunnerJ
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll @ Aug 25 2004, 10:26 PM)
I like the idea, but how do you "cast" the power on the Adept Focus?

That's an issue I'm still not sure of. I imagine that this takes place when the focus is made (i.e., at some phase of the enchanting process.) One possibility I had in mind is that an adept actually has to have the focus near him/her (but not bonded... or maybe yes?) and somehow "concentrate" on the focus while using the power he/she wants to put in the focus. How long/many uses of the power it would take I'm not sure. EDIT: One way or another, the actual "sealing" of a power into the focus is permenant and irreversable.

Another possibility: make the focus out of part of an adept's body to gain the power?
Jason Farlander
A variant of this idea that would make sense to me would be, rather than granting wholly new powers, to have the thing simply enhance existing powers. In this way, you dont have to worry about how to add adept powers.

Such a focus would boost any one power by a number of virtual power points equal to F/2. So you cant suddenly gain improved reflexes, but a focus of this type could raise your improved reflexes from level 1 to level 2 if it was a force 2 focus, from level 2 to level 3 if it was a force 4 focus, or from level 1 to level 3 if it was a force 6 focus. The power to be enhanced is chosen when the focus is bonded, and can not be changed without rebonding the focus.

Im not sure how much I would make the thing cost in terms of either karma or money, but I kinda like it.

GrinderTheTroll
Another thing to consider, is what if an Adept decides to wear the Adept Focus?

Assuming you got the best deal for Intiations, Grade 6 (+6 Power Points) would cost you almost 100 Good Karma. I think they'd be getting a huge bonus for little Karma cost you have proposed initially of Force*4.

Maybe the multiplier would increase based on the number and rating of powers so something like 4*(Highest Force + # of Powers) or so.
tjn
Psst, Grinder, it's Force/2 for power points. A Force 6 is equivilent to only three grades.

But grades are an imperfect comparison. Not only due to the varying costs due to groups and ordeals, but the varying benefits and drawbacks (higher magic is a bad thing for Adepts).

I think the BBB's adept advancement of 20 karma per PP would be a better evaluator for balance since neither a focus or these power points affect the magic rating and there is a linear cost for improvement.

As such, the Focus effectively acts as a Talisman geasa. IMO that would qualify it for the 75% reduction to 15 Karma per power point. As one power point constitutes two points of force, we divide that in half. 7.5 karma per point.

Another point for balance considerations is the monitary cost of the focus. If a goodly amount, the karma cost per force should go down.

Last thing that pops into my mind as a point of contention for balance: who can use the focus? If anyone magically active can utilize the focus, then it should cost more then what an Adept has to pay, simply for the fact it is walking over Adepts' toes. But if limited to only Adepts, it should cost less karma investure to make it an attractive alternative.

Okay, one more thing, honest. Focus Addiction should be vigorously enforced with this item. This does two things, if normal mages can use them, it limits the amount of toe treading. And secondly, if it's made to be attractive to normal Adepts, prevents them from looking like Liberace both astrally and on the mundane plane of existance. And helps curb munchkins.
TheScamp
Also note that the adept is still limited to power ratings equal to their Magic attribute. While this might not be an issue with things like Killing Hands or Reflexes, it will make a difference for a lot of powers, such as Improved Abilities or Attributes.
mfb
this sounds familiar. i prefer the seperate Somatic and Ability foci.
GunnerJ
Wow, lots of good points I totally missed. tjn summed up a lot of this best. I'm going to tweak the karma costs so that it doesn't become a replacement for "normal" power point gaining. And yes, the cost in nuyen is big. It's up there with weapon foci and specific spell category foci; somewhere near Force * nuyen.gif 80,000 should be about right. These foci aren't minor purchases, in fact, I imagine these being more like very hard to obtain loot or something given as a reward.

Anyone magically active can bond these foci. However, cost and rarity make logic such as: "Hey, why bother with Path of the Magician? Just play a regular mage and buy an Ability Focus"" roughly equivalent to thinking: "Hey, why bother initiating? I'll just buy a Power Focus." And yes, Focus Addiction is a must.
mfb
jesus, anyone with magical ability can use these? uh, i don't like that at all. sorcerers who pick up a spirit focus can't summon spirits with it; no way should Joe Anymage be able to pick up a focus and get Killing Hands.
GunnerJ
jesus, anyone with magical ability can use these? uh, i don't like that at all.

Then don't use it.

no way should Joe Anymage be able to pick up a focus and get Killing Hands.

Should Joe be able to use a Weapon Focus? Consider: it gives +ForceD6 to the melee skill test, like Improved Combat Skill.

sorcerers who pick up a spirit focus can't summon spirits with it

Should Jill Anyconjuror be able to activate an anchoring foci, bonded to a sorcerer, with a key word in order to use the effect of its spell despite not being able to use sorcery?

EDIT: Should Jonny McMundane be able to do the same despite the lack of any magical ability?
mfb
yes, of course they should. astral combat is an integral part of pretty much every magical tradition. anchoring has nothing at all to do with the person activating the focus, and everything to do with someone who already has sorcery as part of his/her purview. adept powers are unique and, more importantly, incredibly potent if the GM doesn't carefully monitor their use.
GunnerJ
astral combat is an integral part of pretty much every magical tradition.

Getting bonus dice to melee skill tests is not. In fact, that little bonus is the sort of magical perk normally availble only to physads.

anchoring has nothing at all to do with the person activating the focus

Except that the person activating it reaps the benefits of the spell cast into it without necessarily being able, in theory, to cast it (whether by dint of not knowing the spell, not being able to use Sorcery, or simply being mundane). Just like a magician bonding an Ability Focus is normally unable to use Killing Hands (say).

adept powers are unique

Indeed, as unique to adepts as spellcasting is to magicians capable of sorcery. With the exception of anchoring.

and incredibly potent if the GM doesn't carefully monitor their use.

It is the responsibilty of the GM to decide, if he or she choses to allow Ability Foci, how available they are and to make sure that focus addiction is strictly enforced. Any failures on their part to do this are not the fault of my idea.
mfb
well, yes, it's true that it's up to the GM to moderate the game. if i post a Kill Suckers In One Hit focus, it wouldn't really be my fault if someone's game became unbalanced through the use of it. however, it'd be kinda pointless to post it here on Dumpshock if i didn't want people to be able to use it without breaking their game.

anchoring foci remain tied to the mage that created them--when you use an anchored spell, the mage it's tied to has to resist drain right then and there. if the anchoring mage dies, your anchoring focus is useless. your Ability Focus doesn't seem to be tied to the adept who created it. the anchoring focus, in other words, has some strongly-defined limits; the Ability Focus does not, and with adepts, a lack of limits is a bad thing.
Digital Heroin
QUOTE (mfb)
this sounds familiar. i prefer the seperate Somatic and Ability foci.

Off topic, but I definitly dig that link... been thinking about unique enchantments, and how to represent them, and that katana is a hell of an example...
Wireknight
Your focus is far too abusable in its current state. For ~48 good karma, which is admittedly not something to sneeze at, one could purchase 6 power points of various "Ability Foci" and effectively be an uninitiated adept, in addition to whatever other magical tradition they've chosen. Let's look at an example here, with a full magician, shaman, or wujen doing just what I've suggested above.

Since a magician adept would require 12 power points, or 6 Initiate Grades, to have both a full starting magician's magic rating/abilities and a full starting adept's magic rating/powers, which costs at the very least ~75 good karma(magical group plus ordeal), someone is saving 27 good karma, at the very least(most likely much more), and adopting all the abilities of an ostensibly seperate type of magical ability while doing so. To be less optimistic, if the initiations are unassisted and without ordeals, the cost is ~150 good karma, resulting in a net savings of an astounding 102 good karma.

(This is not mentioning the fact that they'd have started with far less spell points and would still be unable to astrally project, as they'd have metamagics which would most likely balance that downside. Let's not get into the nitty-gritty details of that and derail things.)

This means that 12 rating points of this focus, say a force 2 Killing Hands focus, a force 6 Improved Reflexes focus, a force 3 Pain Resistance focus, and a force 1 Improved Quickness focus(a fairly routine starting adept layout) are saving the user at least 27, at most 102, and an average of ~65 good karma. That averages to ~6 good karma per force point.

As a result, the cost and availability of such a focus should be astronomical(or there should only be one or two, low-rating, and unique foci rather than a codeified type), and that still doesn't really address the balance issue, since no matter how much something costs, someone will still get their hands on it.

I mean, if we went into the argument that it's not the rules creator's role to consider balance, because high costs/availability balance obscene power, why does move-by-wire, an insanely expensive piece of 'ware with commensurate increases in character ability, still have debilitating side-effects that no amount of cash-money can do away with?

Anyhow, that's my two cents. I like this "Wireknight" fellow's Somatic and Ability foci, myself. That man is a genius. If he weren't me, and such marriages weren't illegal, well... let's not talk about that anymore.
tjn
Wireknight? Those "nitty-gritty" details that derail the comparison between initiation and foci are a bit bigger then you make it out to be. The grand canyon and my cup of ramen next to me can be compared if one glosses over enough "nitty-gritty" details.

Fundamentally, increases in grade have a exponential cost unlike increases in foci, which have a linear cost. That detail alone makes the comparison invalid. In addition the initiations of an Adept of the Magician's Way are inheriantly borked, which precludes them from being set as any standard of balance in the first place.

While yes it's a bit karmicly light atm to allow any mage to bond, the costs nuyen-wise that GunnerJ's put forth would put it into the realm of either forcing the character to sell his soul in character creation and severally gimp himself to become a crappy Adept of the Magician's Path who can project, or squarely into a high power campaign in which the GM is already balancing high power levels.

Double the karma cost to 8 per force, and it's about bang on. One need not demand a player's first born for what would amount to be a simple trinket in all but a munchkin's hand. Magic characters already are karmic black holes, so adding yet another option for them to spend their precious, precious, karma is inheirantly balanced against all of their other karmic demands, so long as the GM isn't Monty Haul.
GunnerJ
Your focus is far too abusable in its current state.

Which is why I am revising the costs.
GunnerJ
if i post a Kill Suckers In One Hit focus, it wouldn't really be my fault if someone's game became unbalanced through the use of it. however, it'd be kinda pointless to post it here on Dumpshock if i didn't want people to be able to use it without breaking their game.

You have hardly shown anything about Ability Foci to be "game breaking." You simply stated that adepts were powerful without GM oversight, as if this were a point against my idea. ANYTHING can be very powerful if the GM doesn't enforce the limitations on it. To wit, consider all the threads complaining that spellcasting is "too powerful," and that drain should be based on the full force. Simply enforcing background counts is enough to take care of that little problem.

he anchoring focus, in other words, has some strongly-defined limits; the Ability Focus does not, and with adepts, a lack of limits is a bad thing.

The anchoring focus has some unique limits. These are not the same as having strongly defined limits. If it were, then you would logically be able to claim that all foci are lacking in strongly defined limitations because they do not have the unique limitations of anchoring foci-- only the conventional ones, such as nuyen cost, bonding cost, and focus addiction.

Let's consider a situation where a starting mage and a starting adept both bond a Force 12 Ability Focus.

The mage now has the range of abilities a starting physad has, at a huge nuyen and karma cost. And he'd better hope that a) his magic doesn't drop below 6, and b) he's not planning on using any other foci, because he's on the limit of risking focus addiction. While he can activate or deactivate any powers the focus grants him, the whole focus is either on or off; he's either using all 12 Force points or not getting the benefit of any of them. Considering the number of foci a non-adept magicion can choose from, this is a serious limitation of his options. He's gaining a lot, but also sacrificing a lot too.

The adept, on the other hand, already has 6 PP worth of powers simply for being an adept; and now, for the same nuyen and karma cost has 6 PP worth of new abilties. However, she still has the same Magic Attribute, so her new powers are just as limited as the old ones. And while she will have to wait until initiation before she can think about bonding and using a weapon foci, as you have pointed out elsewhere, there aren't a lot of foci useful for adepts, and this one seems to be well worth her while.

This, I contend, is balance. A vague balance, as I have to reconsider the bonding cost in light of tjn's points, but it's nothing game breaking at all.

your Ability Focus doesn't seem to be tied to the adept who created it.

It isn't, and actually, it seems like a pretty good idea for there to be some tie between them. I'll have to work out the enchanting process before I can define exactly what it is though.
Dashifen
Another way to limit the availability of the item might be require the link between the adept and the focus (as above). This link could be used for ritual sorcery, tracking, etc. which is going to make such items rare as not many adepts with the ability to make them would be willing to leave a trace of themselves out there for all to have. Would initiating and changing your astral signature invalidate these ritual links?

I would say the enchanting process could also be an adept-only metamagic if you want to. This would further limit characters from creating such foci and trying to sell them for cash. Granted, if they do, the astral link between the focus and themselves is certainly something a savvy GM can use to their disadvantage cool.gif.

The reason I think a metamagic would apply is this: since normal enchanting requires a mage to cast a spell "into" a focus, an adept probably couldn't follow the normal echanting process because their Somatic way focuses magic internally rather than externally. Therefore, the metamagic would be something that an Adept could learn that would allow that external projection of their powers. Call it Aural Expansion or something like that. Then, the process is simply to have the "unpowered" focus on the adepts person for a base amout of time (divided by successes on an enchanting test) and the metamagic would allow the adept to place their powers into the focus.

Also, while this may have been implied above, an adept should only be able to charge such a focus with powers they have. Maybe an astral quest could provide they the ability to charge a focus with a different power or a ritual enchanting process of other adepts could act similarly.
TheScamp
[derail]
Consider: it gives +ForceD6 to the melee skill test, like Improved Combat Skill.

Actually, weapon foci do one better than simply adding their Force in dice. They actually increase the user's weapon skill by their Force. Seems like a slight distinction, but it means that along with the extra dice from your Focus, you get to use more Combat Pool as well. smile.gif

[/derail]
Wireknight
QUOTE (tjn @ Aug 26 2004, 12:40 PM)
Wireknight?  Those "nitty-gritty" details that derail the comparison between initiation and foci are a bit bigger then you make it out to be.  The grand canyon and my cup of ramen next to me can be compared if one glosses over enough "nitty-gritty" details.

So, it's invalid when I compare the only way, within the rules, to achieve the effects this focus will grant one, with the effects of the aforementioned focus?

That's awesome. I wish I could arbitrarily declare that you can't compare the closest equivalents so that anything that's slightly different from anything else need not be balanced against existing rules.

You can compare the grand canyon and your cup of ramen very easily, because they are both things with volumetrically measurable attributes. Likewise, I think I can reasonably compare initiation and (certain, topically relevent) foci, as they are effects that are measured in terms of increasing magic points and/or power points in exchange for karma.

I don't see how the difference between them is so great as to make any comparison invalid. I think it's the closest set of rules that exist by which to make a power-balancing comparison within the game's system.
tjn
QUOTE (Wireknight)
So, it's invalid when I compare the only way, within the rules, to achieve the effects this focus will grant one, with the effects of the aforementioned focus?

That's awesome.  I wish I could arbitrarily declare that you can't compare the closest equivalents so that anything that's slightly different from anything else need not be balanced against existing rules.

Yet it's not the only way. It's not even the closest. I humbly ask you to turn your attention to page 168 of the BBB, top of the second column.

This form of advancement has a fixed linear cost like that of foci and one garners the exact same effect per two force of a focus, with one small caveat. The powers in the foci are fixed, whereas the adept can choose which power (s)he may wish to learn. That, I believe, is one of the idiosyncrasies of foci.

Yeah, you can compare the grand canyon and your cup of ramen, very easily, because they are both things with volumetrically measurable attributes.

To reduce them both down as volumetric containers ignores the differences. I can't live off of Grand Canyons as a starving college student, and there is no Ramen National Park to go and study three of the four different geological periods of time. Simply viewed as volumetric items does not convey the full scope of the item in which to compare.

Likewise, I think I can compare initiation and foci, as they are effects that are measured in terms of increasing magic points and/or power points in exchange for karma.

Similarly, you are trying to force an variable exponential model for karma costs to represent a fixed linear one while ignoring the issues of geasa, signature change, metamagics, and the modification of the magic attribute itself.

I don't see how the difference between them is so great as to make any comparison invalid.  I think it's the closest set of rules that exist by which to make a power-balancing comparison within the game's system.

By glossing over the differences, ignoring a better choice, and trying to equate a linear model to an exponential one, I suppose a person can say they're simular enough to make a valid comparison. I am not that person.
mfb
okay. the nitty-gritty of this argument is that you're giving out free adept powers to anybody with money, which basically makes the adept archtype useless except for creating foci. no amount of money or karma should allow someone who isn't an adept to pick up the full abilities of an adept. if i put a Conjuring focus on here, that allows any magically-active character to summon spirits as if he were a follower of the same path as the creator of the focus, i'd get laughed off the boards. this focus is simply unfair to adepts--if it existed in the game, there wouldn't be any good reason to play an adept beyond the RP aspect. why waste your magical abilities on adept powers, when you can just throw down some cash and bring home a bagfull of them?
Wireknight
QUOTE (tjn @ Aug 26 2004, 07:59 PM)

Yet it's not the only way.  It's not even the closest.  I humbly ask you to turn your attention to page 168 of the BBB, top of the second column.

This form of advancement has a fixed linear cost like that of foci and one garners the exact same effect per two force of a focus, with one small caveat.  The powers in the foci are fixed, whereas the adept can choose which power (s)he may wish to learn.  That, I believe, is one of the idiosyncrasies of foci.

Assuming that you are referring to the flat rate of 20 Good Karma per power point, without raising Magic, that way is unavailable to magician adepts, and likewise it is strongly recommended that once the GM has access to Magic in the Shadows, and subsequently Initiation, it be ignored in favor of gaining initiate grades. I permit regular adepts to buy points with it(and portions of points, for that matter), but strinctly speaking it's a bad thing to base any argument involving magician adepts upon due to their inability to take such a power.

Similarly, you are trying to force an variable exponential model for karma costs to represent a fixed linear one while ignoring the issues of geasa, signature change, metamagics, and the modification of the magic attribute itself.

By glossing over the differences, ignoring a better choice, and trying to equate a linear model to an exponential one, I suppose a person can say they're simular enough to make a valid comparison. I am not that person.

If the cost of initiation were exponential(i.e. 5^1 for Grade 1, 5^2 for Grade 2) it would cost first 5, then 25, then 125, then 625, etc... good karma. I believe that the cost of initiation is a triangular summation. It's a bit more comparable to a linear one, especially at lower levels, which is why I kept it to those. The karma savings that a Grade 6 Magician would achieve over the equivalent Grade 12 Magicain Adept would be even more astronomical.
Cochise
Apart from the discussion about cost and who should be able to use the proposed focus type (I'm strongly for restricting it to adepts only), I have my problems somewhere else:

The idea obviously is not only to potentially increase already known powers, but also to provide new powers. And that doesn't quite go along with the rest of the foci: All foci (even the anchoring focus) only increase or replicate an ability the magician who has bonded it already possesses. Now such an adept focus would provide something totally new ... not too consistant, which leads right to the follow up problem (which could be solved, but would impose further requirements):

How is an adept supposed to determine / link a power to that focus that he himself does not possess during the time of enchantment and / or bonding?
There should be someone involved in the creation of such a focus who actually knows the power(s) in question.
snowRaven
Cochise hit the button here.

The Adept Focus (as described) does things that no other (non-unique) focus in the game does. It grants new abilities. The closest you can get to this is an Anchoring focus, which has severe limitations, or possibly a magical tattoo, which also suffers limitations.

Otherwise, the only way to find something similar in canon-material (excluding SoE, MJLBB and SOTA:64, since I haven't got any of them) is to turn to the unique foci possessed by such characters as Teachdaire and Dominic O'Brien (If I recall the name correctly) - see Prime Runners and Celtic Double Cross respectively, or visit Ancient History's site.

Wireknight's Ability Focus seems much more sensible to me, and works along the same lines. I think it is abit limiting in that it only boosts a pre-set power, but I think the Somatic focus is partly broken. I dislike the mechanic that uses half the force of the focus. This is unlike any existing rule. Instead I suggest increasing BOTH Magic and Power Points by the focus' force, and increase the bonding cost instead.

GunnerJ
mfb- by definition, anything you need to give money for is not free, so there is no sensible way to claim that Ability Foci give "free" adept powers. And there's also karma. As to the "why would anyone play an adept," have you read anything I or tjn have written? This exact argument has been dealt with and trounced.

Others: I fail to see how uniqueness is a mark against this idea. I'm looking at you treating the point that these foci do something unique like it's the smoking gun and I'm scratching my head. So what?
GunnerJ
It's happened too many times on this board where I try to look for feedback and end up fighting some vague battle. This isn't a scolding to everyone here, because a lot of it is my fault as much as anyone elses. What I want to do with these "idea threads" I post is bring a desire or intention in line with a mechanical reality. I don't want to be arguing for the sake of arguing. I have already gotten some good points here (make sure the karmic and monetary costs prohibit this from replacing adepts, find some way to bond the adept sealing the powers in the focus and the focus itself, no matter who uses it). Maybe it would be helpful if I outlined my intention.

What I want are magic goodies, esentially. I want, to use a crude analogy, something which works sort of like the relics from FF6, or the One Ring, or the many permutations on the magic sword that grant special abilities because of their enchantment to the person weilding it. The trouble is, the only thing SR has for this is Anchoring, which while neat for making things like sniper-protection or magic grenades, blows hard for my purposes. Imagine trying to make a medalion that protects against hostile spells with Anchoring. You could put a Spell Shield spell in it, as long as you were cool with using it once before having to ask the mage you got it from to re-cast the spell into it, but at that point you may as well just hire the guy to cast it on you and sustain whenever you need it.

But if you had a medalion with the something like Magic Resistance power...

This was the intention, things which are essentially, as tjn put it, gimmicks. They're useful for a few specific things, but they were never intended to "replace" adepts, nor can they really without gimping your attention to other magic skills (you'd be, again as tjn put it, a crappy Magician's Way adept who can project.) You can't go out and search for specific powers (at least not easily), but you may go into a talismonger's place and find some sort of Jump Boots that allow you to leap higher (has Great Leap in it) or a Cloak of Shadows that lets you sneak up on people easier (has Improved Stealth). This was the vision, to give SR this type of magical trinket or artifact where previously there was a hole half-filled by bulldrek like Anchoring.

The thing is, we can't make foci for adept-type abilities that work just like other foci. Consider, for example, the "half force thing." This makes perfect sense for adepts because you actually can have half power points. Or consider the fact that this grants new abilties instead of just improving existing ones. Other foci use units that directly correspond to the units of the abilities they enhance: Force. But adept powers don't have "Force." Some are improvable, but a "Force 3" Improved Stealth isn't the "same" as "Force 3" Improved Pistols. And you can't have any "Force" of an ability like Quickdraw, you either have it or you don't.

I'm not trying to replace adepts, nor do I think this focus type can do that. I'm just trying to find a path to the stuff I want that can be shielded from abuse.
Wireknight
Magical Gear

The above link will show you how I attempted to overcome the whole "magic sword" thing. Basically, imps inhabiting a focus, free ally spirits inhabiting a homonculus that is also some sort of wearable or carryable object, and the like are the only real way I can see to achieve what you're talking about within the rules. The spells they could cast, and paranormal/spirit powers they could employ, can be used to add effects that are beyond the scope of normal foci.

The problem, of course, is that they are more than just foci. They are sentient magical beings. Of course, with masking, there's no reason the character who possesses them need ever know that.
BitBasher
I'm not trying to replace adepts, nor do I think this focus type can do that. I'm just trying to find a path to the stuff I want that can be shielded from abuse.
What is inadequate about just initiating or buying a power point?
Dashifen
Essentially nothing. Just like you could say that your character initiatated and used a talisman geas of boots to use with great leap. However, if you're goal is to introduce artifacts of magic into Shadowrun, then I think GunnerJ's on the right track. I for one like the idea. I agree with others -- it should be a tool for adepts only -- or perhaps the Aleph Society vegm.gif.
mfb
the adept powers are "free" because you didn't have to pick them up at chargen. like i said, it'd be like allowing non-conjurors to conjure freely through the use of a focus. i've read the arguments about replacing adepts, and i disagree--with your ability focus, it would be incredibly easy to become a badass mage/adept that trumps the everliving jesus out of magician's path adepts. the feedback i've been giving you isn't vague at all, but i'll try to be clearer: giving non-adepts access to adept powers through the use of a new focus type is a bad idea.

look, if you want a magical gewgaw that grants adept powers, just make it a unique enchantment and leave it at that. if this were a one-shot deal, i'd be fine with it--one single mage who gains Traceless Walk and Improved Ability: Stealth 4 because he dumped 20-something karma into a unique enchantment, that's cool. allowing any mage who wants those powers to buy a focus for it, that's not cool.
Smiley
I've seen people trying to give Adepts the same benefits as cyberware (Smartlink power, etc.), but never the other way around. Just pick an archetype and live with that archetype's limitations. Want to fling spells and summon fire elementals? MAGE. Want to have a Smartlink-II and 5d6 initiative? STREET SAM. Want to do both? TOUGH SHIT. You made your choice.

[EDIT] Upon further reflection, you CAN have a mage with SL-II and 5D6, but he'd be geased out the ass or have a crappy magic rating. But you all get my point.
GunnerJ
the adept powers are "free" because you didn't have to pick them up at chargen.

This is a very odd definition of the word "free" you are employing.

like i said, it'd be like allowing non-conjurors to conjure freely through the use of a focus.

It would be nothing like this at all. You can only use powers that are in the focus you happen to find. You cannot "freely" pick any power you want.

with your ability focus, it would be incredibly easy to become a badass mage/adept that trumps the everliving jesus out of magician's path adepts.

I would be interested to know how you would go about this, keeping in mind my repeatedly stated intentions.

Let's assume a nuyen cost of 90000 * Force, a bonding cost of 8 * Force karma, and an avail. of 6. Please keep in mind the intentions I have laid out. Go for it.

allowing any mage who wants those powers to buy a focus for it, that's not cool.

And I probably wouldn't allow that. Hence my repeated statement to the effect that this is intended to be something like rare loot, or something you come across in a talismonger's shop. Trying to find a focus that grants specific powers would be tough.

If a player wanted to gimp their mage severely by trying to buy an ability focus at chargen for a specific power, I'd allow it if there was a well thought out reason in terms of backstory or character concept. But this never was, and I have been trying very hard to imply this, intended to be a way of just giving mages whatever powers they want through a focus.
snowRaven
MiTS pg. 46. Unique Enchantments.

Granted, it doesn't contain any strict, easy-to-follow rules for making them. That's why they're called unique. Honestly, I'd just go this route for your 'gimmicks' as you say. No two are ever the same, they can range from very low power to very high power.
How to create them is only ever interesting if a PC attempts it, and when one does there are guidelines in MiTS to go by. I'd say 20-60 days deign time for most of them (although the best is just to have them seek out an existing formula - send 'em on an interesting run somewhere). Force of the focus? Well, that varies greatly depending on what you want. GM's call. Second, always require at least one exotic material in a unique focus. Preferraby more than one, especially for powerful foci.
Enchanting Table. 6 is probably a pretty good TN for most mid-level unique formulas. Then again, they're unique. Make it an 8, or maybe a 10, or why not a 5?
Does the focus grant multiple powers/effect? Then it's a stacked focus.
First Bonding? Surprise the character. Pick something sensible, like three more karma than the character curretnly has (Make a point of asking. 'How much for first bonding? Well, how much karma does your character have? (peek at character sheet, to make sure) Ten? Nope, sorry - you need three more. Players love that. vegm.gif)

Samples of Unique foci (with stats) in canon, and roughly what they do:
[ Spoiler ]

Basically, if you want a focus that does something similar to a critter power or a spell, or one who only gives bonus dice for one specific use, unique foci can do it. If it's similar to a normal focus, design it based on that - modifying for it's special abilities.
GunnerJ
Hell, I didn't even know about that. Still, I want to develop this idea further. I'll look more into Unique Enchantments, though.

BTW, something popped into my head while I was thinking about whether or not ability foci can "replace" adepts: how easy is it to take away an adept power? Like, to prevent an adept from using one of the powers he/she knows? Is it easier or harder than destroying ot stealing a focus?
BitBasher
That really, REALLY depends on the adept and the power. That's very VERY variable.
GunnerJ
QUOTE (BitBasher)
That really, REALLY depends on the adept and the power. That's very VERY variable.

Well, some examples, then:

Could someone sneak up on an adept and take one of his powers and put it in his pocket? Or knock an adept out with a drug and loot him of all his belongings and powers?

Can adept become uncomfortable with a power and take it out of him, place it somewhere, and forget where he put it later? Or be seperated from the place where he put it?

Can a mage go astral and target an adept's powers in astral combat and destroy them? Can a powerful ward deactivate an adept's powers?

Because all these things can happen to foci.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012