Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cannon Companion question
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
AK404
I wanna know something here. What makes the 57C heavy pistol so special that it demands an Availability of 9?

Also, why did FASA simply reprint out the old availability and street indexes of all the weapons instead of rebalancing them? For example, a CDMT has a higher availability and street index than a SPAS-22, I believe.

And just because I've completely forgotten where to find the rules, what're the advantages of using a smartlink-II over using the original SL in SR3 again?
The_Sarge
Smartlink question:

Indirect fire.
Rangefinder.

I think these were the two main advancements.
Zeel De Mort
Better called shots with a SL2 as well. p31 M&M

FN 5-7C: Because it's a machine pistol.

SM-CMDT: No good reason. smile.gif
Andvare
SM-CMDT is a combat shotgun for the military.
The Spas (In Danish nicknamed the "spas-mager" ie. the "fun-maker") is a police/SWAT shotgun, closer to the street and (should be?) is more illegal acording to present U.S. laws (concealability (sp?)).

SL-2.
Better TN's at long + extreme ranges (with range finder) (2/3/3/5 vs 2/3/4/7).
Better indirect fire.
Reduced scatter (with range finder).
All very good reasons to buy it. Plus you get a better crosshair on your vission.
Doc Sportscar
Actually, I think the people who really won out with the SL2 are the bloopers among us. Combo a smartlink 2, a rangefinder, and a grenade link, and drop minigrenades on your foes from a hundred meters off with pinpoint accuracy. (As opposed to the basic grenade launcher scatter, which can end up with the grenade coming back at you more often that I'd really like biggrin.gif )

As for the 5-7, I thought the Avail increase was due to its BF capability. No idea what the deal is with the shotguns, save to say that those numbers always seemed a bit wonky to me too.
Glyph
My personal opinion on the FN 5-7C is that it uses the same rules for its bursts as the Ingram SuperMach 100, but they forgot to put it in - something for the errata, maybe. I mean, that's the only reason that I can think of for a light machine pistol to be stuck in there with the heavy pistols. The "extremely high velocity" in the flavor text, and its higher Availability compared to other machine pistols, also reinforce this opinion.
Raygun
The real FN Five-seveN fires a high velocity, low recoil PDW cartridge that is designed to defeat common forms of body armor. Because the bullet moves so quickly (making its trajectory very flat), it is less difficult to engage targets at long range with this pistol in relation to more conventional pistols. The downside is that the bullet is very small and loses energy quickly, meaning that it likely won't cause that much tissue damage, especially at longer ranges (not that that matters in SR).

Now, relating that information to the 5-7C in CC, we can see why a pistol with a 6L Damage Code (I'm guessing) is classified as a Heavy Pistol; in order to extend its range (range seems to be something that's consistently overlooked by Shadowrun players). As for its availability rating, any automatic firearm certainly should have a higher availability than a comparable semi-auto firearm because they are certainly more controlled in almost any society on the planet. Add to that the fact that the Five-SeveN was designed from the beginning to defeat body armor identical to the kind that police commonly wear. (Don't have CC, don't know if that's reflected in the rules. It should be.)

As for giving the 5-7C autofire bonuses like the SuperMach, I wouldn't do it. While the 5.7x28mm generates about two-thirds the recoil of the 9mm Para, it still generates recoil, and that recoil is still going to throw your aim off. That said, I think a BF or FA version of the Five-seveN is a decent idea in reality as well as in the game. When it comes to these PDW cartridges, the more bullets flying the better.
Phylos Fett
As always - Raygun shall show us the way! notworthy.gif
Arethusa
The thing you're forgetting is that the canon difference in range between a light pistol and a heavy pistol is a whopping 10 meters. Face it: the Five-seveN C is a joke. Firing one of its amazing bursts allows you to stage up the power to 9 and the damage to M. Sound familiar? But it's still getting better. The weapon remains less effective against hardened armor than a heavy pistol, consumes ammunition at three times speed, fires with a +2 recoil modifier on the first shot (1 point of compensation factored in) and a +5 on the second instead of a heavy pistol's +0 and +1, respectively, and only gets to do this a whopping 6 times before loosing a burst at 8L (or one last burst at 9M assuming the weapon wasn't reloaded dry) and needing a reload. They don't come much crappier than that. I'd better stop before I make some disparaging comments about Mike Mulvihill.
Raygun
QUOTE (Arethusa)
The thing you're forgetting is that the canon difference in range between a light pistol and a heavy pistol is a whopping 10 meters.

That's true. The margin definitely should be greater, but I'll get to that in a minute. Even so, that ten meters does mean the difference between being able to hit something and not having the ability to (silly, but hey, that's the rules). The Hammerli 610S uses the same rules for the same reason.

Face it: the Five-seveN C is a joke. ... They don't come much crappier than that. I'd better stop before I make some disparaging comments about Mike Mulvihill.

Before you do that, I'd suggest coming up with some alternative rules first. You know, stick your neck out so that someone can take a swing at it?

The 5-7C does suffer a bit more than it should, IMHO, so here's one way you can fix it. Use the rules for the Five-seveN on my site. Compared to the 5-7C, damage is bumped up a level, a x0.75 AP modifier is standard. FA mode is not standard, but the gun can be modified to allow it. It is not particularly easy to find. I've also modified the range tables. It's quite a bit more useful this way, but I understand that some may consider it too powerful. Can't please everyone.
Rain
You always please me, baby.
Raygun
What can I say, Rain. You're like a long-lost girlfriend! embarrassed.gif
Rain
I missed you too, snuggles.
motorfirebox
next week, on Jerry Springer--big, bad, manly men and the big, bad, manly men that turn them to squishy, squealy, girly girls.
AK404
Admittedly, I'd much rather use Raygun's Five-seveN than the one introduced in the CC, but if a GM tries to stick with the CC version, I'd probably toss some history of the 5.7mm at him and demand APDS-esque abilities...which is basically what Raygun's gun does already. spin.gif
Glyph
Does anyone have the old Fields of Fire book? I would be interested in how they handled the FN 5-7C in that book. I still think they intended to use the super-velocity rules for this gun (although unless you are a troll with a cyberarm gyromount, the recoil makes that ability pretty useless: +5 TN for the first burst, and +11 TN for the second burst). I don't think it being an burst fire-capable pistol is enough to account for the high Availability, considering that all of the other machine pistols are within a starting character's Availability limits.
last_of_the_great_mikeys
QUOTE (AK404)
Admittedly, I'd much rather use Raygun's Five-seveN than the one introduced in the CC, but if a GM tries to stick with the CC version, I'd probably toss some history of the 5.7mm at him and demand APDS-esque abilities...which is basically what Raygun's gun does already. spin.gif

Heh...most GM's ignore real world, actually applicable knowledge that they do not posess themselves. Go ahead, tell me what it should really do so I can say, "nnnNNNOOOoooo!", stick my tongue out at you and go "Nyah!" nyahnyah.gif
Frag-o Delux
I can't find the 57C in Fields of Fire so I think it is a new weapon to third edition.
Raygun
QUOTE (Glyph)
Does anyone have the old Fields of Fire book?  I would be interested in how they handled the FN 5-7C in that book.

The 5-7C is not in FOF, probably because the book was published two years before FN went public with the real Five-seveN. Cannon Companion introduced the 5-7C, AFAIK.

I still think they intended to use the super-velocity rules for this gun (although unless you are a troll with a cyberarm gyromount, the recoil makes that ability pretty useless: +5 TN for the first burst, and +11 TN for the second burst).

I think that if they'd intended to use the HV rules for this weapon, they would have said so. It really doesn't make much sense to me that they would have. Then again, there are quite a few things about Shadowrun firearms that don't make much sense to me, so that's not really saying a whole lot. Bottom line, if you think it would be fun to use the HV rules, by all means, have at. No one is stopping you.

I don't think it being an burst fire-capable pistol is enough to account for the high Availability, considering that all of the other machine pistols are within a starting character's Availability limits.

Well, to bring up another point of reality, the P90/Five-seveN/5.7x28mm weapon systems are very highly restricted and tightly controlled here in the US (which means that they're probably even more tightly controlled in other countries). While civilians here can own almost any type of of firearm made as long as they have the proper license or tax stamp, FN's distributors are contractually bound not to sell the P90/Five-seveN/5.7x28mm weapons or ammunition to commercial outlets. There's no law preventing them from doing so. They simply choose not to. Sales are restricted to law enforcement and military only. Only recently has FN begun a policy of allowing sales of the Five-seveN pistols to individual police officers, and that model is restricted to the use of a 10-round magazine.

This doesn't necessarily mean that these restrictions would persist over the next 60 years, but it is a way to explain why the availability rating is relatively high. They just don't get into the shadow market that often.
BitBasher
And on that note, here at the LVMPD we wound never allow the Five7 because of the ridiculous amount of blowthrough it has on targets. That ammo does not stop when it hits a normal human target. And when we want that kind of blowthrough or penetration is desired, that's why the keep an AR-15 in the trunk if they feel so inclined.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012