Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: P2P-Networks ?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Suenert
How did you implement P2P-networks in your game ?
In the course of creating a decker I have started to thing about how rules for them have to look, problem is my expierence with them is limited.
This is what I got:

Description

P2P are described by:

open or closed
Open: anyone can download the client and partiscipate
closed: invitation only

Quality rating
The amount and quality of software which is accessible to an user.

Reputation rating
Your standing with the network, nobodies likes a leecher.

Ratio U/D rating
The ratio which describes how much you have to up/download to change your standing.

Downloading
- first make a roll quality against availibility to determine of the programm you are looking for is to be found in the network
- second step the GM rolls quality to determine the bug factor, if you roll only ones the programm is infested with a worm (choice of the SL)
- write down the value (price inclusive street index) of the downloaded programm

Uploading
. make a quality roll against the availibility of the program you are uploading, if you fail write down the value of the programm

At the end of every month divide the sum of the values of all downloaded programms by the sum of the values of all uploaded programms, round up.
Substract this value from the ratio for the network, and add the resulting value to your reputation.

If you reputation is zero you get booted from it, if it is a closed one.
If the network is open, the quality is capped by the reputation (bandwidth is hocked by people with an higher reputation).

Open networks should in general have a low quality value.

Suggestions, criticism ?
Siege
Ya know, it's amazing but I've never seen this issue come up in any game I've played in.

-Siege
mfb
i'd simply make them another form of search operation.
Kanada Ten
IMO, peer to peer networks are no different than any other host in Shadowrun. Which means they are Blue-2/2/2/2/2/2 unless you implement some kinds of secure OS and security programs.
Edward
On a related note what files are available free. I am talking about decker utilities and such like witch are ether pirated and distributed or written by deckers and distributed for all to use under some form of general public licence.

I would have assumed that such things would exist (they are conmen now if you know where to look) but are not available for balance reasons. If you did allow them you would probably have to say they where at least 1 step behind SOTA or where written in some way poorly (bug ridden flaw).

Edward
FlakJacket
Plus if you write or come into ownership of a programme that you can sell for large amounts of money, you don't just give it away. At least most people don't.
Kagetenshi
Given that the zeitgeist in Shadowrun is very extremely far from freedom of information, I find it hard to believe that anything worthwhile will be on P2P networks.

Though I have considered allowing something like a 1d6 roll for anything off of a P2P network. If the host is blue, a 1 will immediately trigger an Active Alert and trigger all IC that would normally be triggered, though the security tally is not raised; a Green, a 1 or 2, a Yellow, a 1, 2, or 3, and a Red a 1, 2, 3, or 4.

~J
BitBasher
Also, I believe P2P netowrks can't really exist in SR the way they exist today because of the hardware paradigm shift. A cyberdeck is NOT a host and cannot IICR be used as one. Hosts are prohibitevely expensive unlike today where any desktop PC can make a servicable host within reason.
GrinderTheTroll
Intersting idea, but I'm siding with Flakjacket on this one.
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (BitBasher @ Aug 30 2004, 06:57 PM)
Hosts are prohibitevely expensive unlike today where any desktop PC can make a servicable host within reason.

Isn't a home telecomm considered a Host in the SSG?

The search engine just gave me eight threads on a search for telecomm, some of which don't even contain the word telecomm...
Jason Farlander
QUOTE (Kanada Ten @ Aug 30 2004, 07:04 PM)
QUOTE (BitBasher @ Aug 30 2004, 06:57 PM)
Hosts are prohibitevely expensive unlike today where any desktop PC can make a servicable host within reason.

...Searching...

Yes, Blue 4 - 8/8/6/6/6

(pg120 SSG)

edit: whoops, posted the wrong set... fixed
Edward
I very much doubt that pear to pear networking would exist. Far to traceable over the matrix as your terminal doesn’t have the ability to run any IC or other security software of relevance.

Something similar to modern wearz sites however would be associated with many data havens. Shadow land probably has a significant archive of programmes that have been pirated or written by its contributors. Many people don’t have a problem distributing something that people will pay good money for free if they don’t have a way to sell it. Why to you think it is that you can now download almost any piece of commercial software of the net including cracks for the anty piracy protections.

The only reason I would not have such a thing working is because even if I had every piece of software on there poorly written and bug written and 1-3 steps behind the SOTA it would still make deckers overpowered.

Edward
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (Jason Farlander)
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
Yes, Blue 4 - 8/8/6/6/6 (pg120 SSG)

Which means a Blue 4 - 8/8/6/6/6 OS with a rating 2 Probe costs around 1000¥. I'd think once you've connected two computers, the ACFIS ratings probably are reduced unless you have special software, but not as low as I originally thought.
Kagetenshi
I see there being two completely different types of problems with shadow-P2P networks, both of which would be sufficient to kill them almost completely.

First, for the open-source stuff: see my rules above. Corps analyze the code, rewrite their stuff to make it ineffective. A wide-scale open-source decking community would merely serve to dramatically increase the difficulty in decking effectively.

Second, for closed-source stuff: bugs, worms, virus payloads up to and including psychotropics, not a few of which would be corp-planted…

~J
Edward
If it is practical to analyse source code and render a program completely ineffective then every purchased program would have to have its writing corp recorded and any system maintained by that corp (or some of its allies) would be completely immune. You would need to ether write all your own programs or by it twice from different manufacturers that don’t like each other.

Edward
mfb
heh, maybe that explains the insanely high program costs--they're actually the price for two or more seperate progs!

i have to disagree with kagetenshi. it's not like corp deckers can't login to Hacker House and buy copies of every program they sell, rendering Hacker House completely ineffective. and if Shadowland and the Nexus can exist without filling every user that logs on with worms, so can P2P networks.

that said, i don't see P2P networks carrying any programs with a rating higher than 4 or so, and most of the programs would have lots of bugs.
Kanada Ten
Exactly, informal networks like this are like scrapyards to Riggers. They help with the building blocks, but it still takes a competent decker to repair them and upgrade them to SotA. At the costs of programs and the time investments for upgrades, I don't see this as unbalancing for established characters. Long search times and lots of debugging (let's face it, deckers could make a fortune selling fifteen rating one programs in the time required to make one rating 8).
Suenert
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
First, for the open-source stuff: see my rules above. Corps analyze the code, rewrite their stuff to make it ineffective. A wide-scale open-source decking community would merely serve to dramatically increase the difficulty in decking effectively.

According to the rules any programm you buy, regardless from whom, comes with the source code.
In short, every software in shadowrun is open source.
Kagetenshi
Point.

Though purchasing programs does tend to be more expensive than just downloading them.

~J
audun
Let's face it: the SR Matrix rules have nothing in common with reality. It's a fantasy world, with different rules than ours. The whole concept behind them was designed in the 80s, without even the idea of a net similar to the one we have today.
Shadowland is a BBS, not a website.
Now for keeping consistency, here's some suggestions:
- assume that deckers buy their software from limited access warez nodes. Or their fixer buy it from such a node.
- assume that DRM-systems are in effect, and does work. Prevents most P2P-networking.
- assume that software patents are in effect and prevents large scale open-source programming.
- actually in real-life, there was a suggestion in the recent FTAA proposal to ban P2P-networks outright. Assume that this has happened in the SR (fits the cyberpunk theme) and that the deckers prefer warez nodes for security reasons.
SunRunner
QUOTE (audun)
Let's face it: the SR Matrix rules have nothing in common with reality. It's a fantasy world, with different rules than ours. The whole concept behind them was designed in the 80s, without even the idea of a net similar to the one we have today.
Shadowland is a BBS, not a website.
- assume that deckers buy their software from limited access warez nodes. Or their fixer buy it from such a node.
- assume that DRM-systems are in effect, and does work. Prevents most P2P-networking.
- assume that software patents are in effect and prevents large scale open-source programming.
- actually in real-life, there was a suggestion in the recent FTAA proposal to ban P2P-networks outright. Assume that this has happened in the SR (fits the cyberpunk theme) and that the deckers prefer warez nodes for security reasons.

If you feel the SR Matrix has nothing in common with reality, and you want it to be more realisitc, feel free to re-write that part of the game to make it work. I would be interested in seeing someone else's take on how to do that.

I would also be interested in how, exactly, are they going to outlaw a program that you can download off international sites? Monitor your port traffic? Install spyware onto your computer? And how are they going to enforce it? ... Nevermind. Off-Topic.

A point to throw out there: If you want access to the source-code for a program and you have the executable in front of you, you simply de-compile it into the language of your choice and examine it that way. And before anyone says that this is hard to do, see this for a variety of methods that do so. You can google for more information if you really want it. (Basically: Compiler (source-code to machine-code), De-Compiler (machine-code to source-code))

And a question: In which book are the rules and prices given for matrix hosts and the security OSes/programs listed?
GrinderTheTroll
Let's face it: the SR Matrix rules have nothing in common with reality. It's a fantasy world, with different rules than ours.
Well said.

test
I think the idea behind many RPG's is to not always "make it like real-life" and that's where the adult brain can be a buzz-kill. I play SR to escape reality for a bit. Not that I don't like to have some real-life things in my games, but the current system effectively lets you "surf the Matrix" and accomplish tasks for mission without a ton of extra mess (well most of the time), or having to derive every nuiance of real-life to make it happen.
Necro Tech
QUOTE (Suenert)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Aug 31 2004, 12:57 AM)

According to the rules any programm you buy, regardless from whom, comes with the source code.
In short, every software in shadowrun is open source.

Actually, the reverse is true. BBB pg. 295 says that chips are sold OOC. Utilities can be bought either way but I can't find the cost difference. Anyone have a page number?
Kagetenshi
In Matrix it is stated that all programs have the source and that buying object-only programs results in a .75 multiplier to the price, IIRC.

~J
Necro Tech
Thanks, I just couldn't find it and I thought I might have been thinking of 2nd edition stuff. You got a page number?
lspahn72
QUOTE (FlakJacket)
Plus if you write or come into ownership of a programme that you can sell for large amounts of money, you don't just give it away. At least most people don't.

This I think may be an important point. I have been involved in PCs for over 20 years (since i was 12) and I have to say that piracy really hasnt changed alot. You almost have to assume that deckers in the future crack and distribute commercial software and documentation. This could casue alot of problems because essentialls a decker can have ANY program he want for free.

I invision a dirty flea market-swap meet for a P2P network!
Kagetenshi
If the main reason someone would hire you over Joe Uberdecker is the fact that you have a better program, that’s a damn good reason not to distribute that program for free.

~J
Link
SR1 had brief rules on how a decker could crack software. I forget the details.
Kanada Ten
SotA63 has rules for Cracking software.
Link
Behind the SOTA dead.gif

I have that book too.
Kanada Ten
Well, it is sort of obscure (I mean this is Shadowrun), but it's in the rules for the Matrix sculptures and forgeries.
Edward
It is true that your programs can make or break your reputation in the shadows but not everybody sees it that way. The ones that do probably wrote their own code to give them an edge. Cracking a program has its own kind of reputation attached to it. You managed to bypass the security on this program (even you did it faster or better than others) of cause if most deaker programs are shipped with code then it is really know challenge but there are still those that believe in freedom of information. Helping their pears and sticking it to the corporations. if only 1% of the deckers on shadow land each shared 2 programmes freely how many programs are now freely available.

Edward
Kagetenshi
I could possibly see it for Rating 2 or lower programs, but seriously, these programs are, combined with the deck, more important than the decker's own skill. Anyone who is even vaguely a professional will see it in those terms, and anyone who isn't won't last long.

Man, can you imagine how many deckers would take some time out of their schedules to off someone who started distributing Rating 8 programs freely?

Edit: as for how many programs would be available, that'd probably make about 20 at a high guess.

~J
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012