Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: This should NOT be possible!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Joker9125
Hey all I Just made a horse shaman sorcer adept with 2 grades of initation and the movement power as a starting character that can reach speeds of 520m/ct Its been awhile since I played shadowrun so I could be wrong but heres how I did it.

125 bp

Race
Night one elf

Cash 650K

Magic Aspected Magician

Attributes 22

Active Skills 16

Edges/Flaws
Aptitude>Athletics +4
Toughness +3
Bonus Attribute point QUICK +2
Computer Illiterate -3
Allergy uncommon mild Hellhounds -2
Amnesia lvl 1 -2
Implusive -2

Attributes
BOD 4 (5 with toughness)
QCK 7 ( +2 Race, +5 Bioware 14)
STR 3 (+1 Bio 4)
CHR 1 (+2 Race 3)
INT 3
WIL 5

Skills
Athletics Running 5/7
Sorcery Spellcasting 5/7
Etiquette 2

Cyberware
Synthetic cyberfoot X 2 Alpha (.56 Essence)
Cyberskates

BioWare
Muscle Toner 4 (1.6 Bio index)
Suprathyroid gland (1.4 Bio Index)
Synaptic Accell 2 (1.0 Bio Index)
Enhanced Articulation (0.6 Bio Index)
Trauma Dampener (0.4 Bio Index)
Reflex Recorder specific skill>running (0.1 Bio Index)

I bought 2 Grades of initation with SP to gain the metamagics Sielding and Movement and a magic rating of 4 then I spent spent 25K on an extra spellpoint so I could get a lvl 4 Stunbolt

Heres how my math came out. Making an athletics test against a TN of 3(Base of 4. 3 for aptitude) With reflex rec and enhanced artic adding 2 Dice to my skill leavign me with 9 dice for the test. I think every 2 successes increases your quickness by 1 for the purpose of running. So with the Ideal 9 successes or +4 Quickness that bumps my quickness to 18. Now times that by 6 for using the cyberskates with comes out at 108 m/ct Now times 108 by 5 for using the movement power and it coes out to 520 m/ct. Does anyone know how to convert that to MPH?

And i still have around 100K left
Ancient History
No, this is not possible because building point generation methods suck and you can't start out as an initiate anywho. nyahnyah.gif

Allergic to HELLHOUNDS? Why not just put "Allergic to Napalm" while you're at it?
Necro Tech
Well, not as such.

1.) Your Att Bp's are way off. I stat = 2 Bp. Should be 44.
2.) You skills are a little off. You have 16 pts in skills so 16 BP.

There goes the money aspect so no cyber/bio. The rest looks legal though some Gm's don't allow iniation as a starting character.
Kagetenshi
How on earth are you getting Night One as 30 BP? 10+5=15 last time I checked…

~J
ShadowGhost
Don't forget that Bioware cannot raise attributes above the racial maximum, which for an elf is 11.
Dice
QUOTE (Joker9125)
Hey all I Just made a horse shaman sorcer adept with 2 grades of initation and the movement power as a starting character that can reach speeds of 520m/ct

Pah...

Still subsonic, try harder biggrin.gif

Still 388mph isn't bad
Joker9125
Woah the fourm went wacky on me while posting this. ill go back and edit the origional.
Kanada Ten
And what's the problem with this?
Joker9125
Don't forget that Bioware cannot raise attributes above the racial maximum, which for an elf is 11.

Shouldnt it be 12 for a night one?

And what's the problem with this?

Its way to superhuman but you just know im gonna be using it in the next run im in.

Sorry about the BP errors due to typos i just took the out of the proof read version.
Joker9125
QUOTE (Ancient History)
No, this is not possible because building point generation methods suck and you can't start out as an initiate anywho. nyahnyah.gif

Allergic to HELLHOUNDS? Why not just put "Allergic to Napalm" while you're at it?

You apparently have never met my GM I can assure you with a flaw like this ill be facing one at least every other run.

p. 16 SR Comp ... under Ressources ... As usual: GM's discretion.

Dont have my books with me but from what ive recently read in here I think you can.
mfb
bioware still can't raise an attribute above its attribute maximum. for a night elf, that's 12. bonus attribute point doesn't change that, but exceptional attribute can bring it up to 13. you can also only take 1 point of bonus attribute point.
Kanada Ten
Have you read the Horse shaman description? There are several spirits that grant the Movement power as well, so I don't understand the "ohh this is so uber" thought becuase they can use the Movement power on anyone (and even vehicles though it works differently). It seems like you made a weak one trick pony, honestly.
Joker9125
Never said he was Uber I can make much better combat oriented types but a character that fast is still pretty cool. Now if i really wanted to make him fast I would make him a conjurer and let his spirits use movement while hes using his own. Does the movement power stack like this?

Ok I toned the muscle toner down to lvl 3 and took the exceptional attribute edge QCK and pacisifist flaw. Leaving him with a quickness of 13 and a final max speed of 510 m/ct. How exactly do you convert this to MPH?
Dice
QUOTE (mfb)
bioware still can't raise an attribute above its attribute maximum. for a night elf, that's 12.

Still works out to 480m/turn, or 360mph

And to answer the 'how do you convert m/turn to mph' question the poster asked, a turn is 3 seconds long, there are 20 turns per minute, and 60 minutes an hour. So multiply m/turn by 1200 to get metres per hour, then divide by 1600 to convert metres to miles...

This can be simplified further as 1200/1600 = 3/4, so your speed in mph is 0.75 times your speed in metres per turn.

If you want kph then by the same process you get a multiplier of 1.2 instead of 0.75

480 * 0.75 = 360mph
480 * 1.2 = 576kph
Necro Tech
Max quickness is 14. 6 + bonus atrribute 1 + 2 for race = 9 X 1.5 (round up) = 14.

No, movement powers don't stack. Just use highest rated one. Go speed racer.
Dashifen
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
Have you read the Horse shaman description? <snip> It seems like you made a weak one trick pony, honestly.

a one trick pony horse shaman. HA! wobble.gif
Kurukami
QUOTE (ShadowGhost @ Aug 31 2004, 03:36 AM)

That's a new one for me. Link?

(edit) Nevermind, found the reference in the FAQ. Of course, every game I've played in has treated that little tidbit like a line from Pirates of the Caribbean -- "They're more like guidelines than actual rules."
The White Dwarf
The maximum attributes have 2 parts, Racial Modified Limit, and Attribute Maximum.

For a Night One, the Racial Modified Limit is 8. The Attribute Maximum is 12.

Bonus Attribute Point doesnt change either of those values, it just lets you exceed the first one at character creation. Exceptional Attribute does increase it, to 9 and 14 respectivly.

Just to clarify the terminology people are using.

As far as movment speed, SR has very crappy consistency in what movement rates are and arent possible due to it being designed around game system movment and not reality. Magic and technology do crazy things a lot, possible or not Ive seen similar beofre and it wouldnt surprise me. Course running fast doesnt really let you run the shadows any better... unless you screw up and have to run away...
xizor
in wich case you are going a lot faster than most cars grinbig.gif
JaronK
So, I've heard it's possible to break the sound barrier with adepts, but never seen it done. How do you do that?

JaronK
FrostyNSO
Um, the adept would probably sooner be ripped apart by his own wind resistance.
Siege
You forget, wind resistance and a good portion of physics doesn't exist in the canon rules. grinbig.gif

-Siege
Young Freud
On a side note, but doesn't bioware still remove points of Magic, even though it's not directly effecting Essence?
mfb
yes. you lose magic equal to 1/2 your bio index.
FrostyNSO
Is there a "stop on a dime" and "precision turning" adept power?
Fresno Bob
And 'Not get your head ripped off when running into a fly'
Nylan
Edit: somebody beat me to it

Oh, and that character is great...go working the system smile.gif
Young Freud
QUOTE (mfb)
yes. you lose magic equal to 1/2 your bio index.

Ok, I can see why now the character HAS to start as a Level 2 Initate. Casting all spells at level 2 bites as a mage or shaman.
aries
Well, If you could crank up the speed high enough ( > 300m/second) you could outrun most bullets. biggrin.gif
If someone can come up with a legit build that can do this please share... cyber.gif
PiXeL01
Wouldnt it be 13 as maximum? I thought you ALWAYS rounded down in SR unless otherwise stated?
Cochise
QUOTE (PiXeL01)
Wouldnt it be 13 as maximum? I thought you ALWAYS rounded down in SR unless otherwise stated?

It is stated otherwise wink.gif Just take a closer look at p. 245 and do the math for those numbers
Nemo
The attribute-Maximum is rounded-up, according to the BBB (Elfs have a limit for Quickness of 7 / 11)
Cray74
QUOTE (Nemo)
The attribute-Maximum is rounded-up, according to the BBB (Elfs have a limit for Quickness of 7 / 11)

Unless you're playing a "night one" elf variant, in which case the attribute maximum is 8 / 12, and if the "night one" has an exceptional attribute, the max is 9 / 14.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (aries)
Well, If you could crank up the speed high enough ( > 300m/second) you could outrun most bullets. biggrin.gif

You could outrun a small fraction of pistols, and not much else. I you ran about 500m/sec you could reliably outrun most pistols, shotguns and SMGs. To reliably outrun rifles, you'd need to get to about 900m/sec. Some APDS might still catch you until you get to 1250-1500m/sec range. At that point, most RL firearms will left behind.
hobgoblin
hmm,i recall a conversation i had on the irc channel about a similar move useing rigger3 rules and a van. it broke the soundbarrier before we even started messing with the engine proper i belive. if this wild horse need to be captured i think i have the metal horse to do it on wink.gif
the_dunner
Just a thought -- if your GM is the Rat Bastard type (and based on your flaws comment, he probably is) he might point out that you don't have the gear for reflexes taht can cope with your enhanced speed.

Think about it -- say you're running along at 120 meters per second, and a door closes in front of you. Normal human reaction time is on the order of 1/2 a second in a situation like this. That puts you 60 meters past you were when the event happened.

That could hurt quite a bit. Might want to make sure you jack those reflexes up REAL high too (By comparison, after a 300 meter fall, you're only moving at about 50 Meters/second. I reference the Jump Calculator at http://www.jumpshack.com/default.asp?Categ...C&SortBy=DATE_D )
ankh-le-fixer
QUOTE (Joker9125)
I bought 2 Grades of initation with SP to gain the metamagics Sielding and Movement

Movement : i know the critter power but the metamagic power??? where is it described?
Shockwave_IIc
QUOTE (ankh-le-fixer)
QUOTE (Joker9125)
I bought 2 Grades of initation with SP to gain the metamagics Sielding and Movement

Movement : i know the critter power but the metamagic power??? where is it described?

Horse Shamans get the option to take it as a metamagical technque. As prevoiusly mention it's in MitS in the section about new totems.
Modesitt
This is my canned responce to any thread involving speeds. This is particulairly directed as Hobgoblin.

What happens when you get REALLY bored? This is!
snowRaven
Well, if you want to get really technical you might disallow the use of that movement power in conjunction with rollerskates - after all, when was the last time you saw a horse with rollerskates? grinbig.gif But ruleswise it's a-okay.

But it's possible to twink more for higher speed...

THE FLASH (123 BPs)
Albino Night One Sasabonsam (african Ghoul with x5 running multiplier) Changeling Horse Magician's Way Adept (60 BPs)

Edges & Flaws (-6 BPs)
Distinctive Style (-1)
Allergy(Silver; Severe) (-4)
Cursed Karma (-6)
Computer Illiterate (-3)
Exceptional Quickness (2)
Bonus Quickness (2)
Aptitude(Athletics) (4)
Allergy(Sunlight; Moderate) (-) (Since he gets two 'free' Milds...gotta be fair, ya know grinbig.gif)
Blind (-)
Sensitive System (-)
Slow Healer (-)
Pain Resistance 3 (-)

SURGE effects (-6 BPs)
Satyr Legs (6)
Bonus Quickness (2) (Nowhere does it say that you cannot have the same SURGE effect and edge)
Chronic Osteocuspus (-10)
Sensitive Neural Structure 2 (-4) (Munchkin's dream - SURGE wouldn't care if you actually have a datajack...)

Attributes (46 BPs)
B 6
Q 10(12)x6
S 2
C 1
I 5
W 6
E 5
M 6
R 7

Money 400,000¥(20 BPs)
14 extra spell points: 350,000¥
P4MO Treatment (Oxygenated Flourocarbons; +2 dice to all Athletics tests)
Sustaining Focus (Increase Reflexes +3) 1
Armor: Rapid Transit Line Heavy Jumpsuit w/massaging liners, Rapid Transit Line helmet, Armor Jacket, Second Skin Line (7/cool.gif add a Large Riot shield, for fun (2/3). All armor modified for Osteocuspus.

Skills (7 BPs)
Athletics 6(12)
Sorcery(Spellcasting) 2/4

Powers
Magic Power 1(Geased because of magic loss; Gesture)
Quickness Boost 6
Increased Quickness 2
Improved Athletics 6

Spell Points (20)
Increase +3 Reflexes 1.
Initiate Grade 1 (Metamagic: Movement)
Bound sustaining focus.

He can't do much, but he sure can run.
Quickness boosted to 18 = 540m/turn.
Running test of 14 dice, with -1 TN.
Average 7 successes: Q 22 x 6 x 5 = 660m/turn.
Maximum 14 successes: Q 25 x 6 x 5 = 750m/turn.

Tactic: Running into his targets at high speeds.
Needs: Centering(Physical). High force armor Spell. Higher Quickness boost.

This assumes The Flash turned Ghoul after he SURGEd, which any kind gm would allow grinbig.gif
Not quite at 300m/s, but with 4 more initiate grades he should reach that (Increased Quickness 2 points higher, Boost 4 points higher, Physical centering against penalties/for successes)
toturi
QUOTE (snowRaven)
HERMES (123 BPs)
Albino Night One Sasabonsam (african Ghoul with x5 running multiplier) Changeling Horse Magician's Way Adept (60 BPs)

Edges & Flaws (-6 BPs)
Distinctive Style (-1)
Allergy(Silver; Severe) (-4)
Cursed Karma (-6)
Computer Illiterate (-3)
Exceptional Quickness (2)
Bonus Quickness (2)
Aptitude(Athletics) (4)
Allergy(Sunlight; Moderate) (-) (Since he gets two 'free' Milds...gotta be fair, ya know grinbig.gif)
Blind (-)
Sensitive System (-)

SURGE effects (-6 BPs)
Satyr Legs (6)
Bonus Quickness (2) (Nowhere does it say that you cannot have the same SURGE effect and edge)
Chronic Osteocuspus (-10)
Cyclops (-4)

You should have followed the Ghouling rules exactly as written in the SRComp. You can buy Blind and Sensitive System before you ghoul him, therefore you had a Blind Albino Night One that ghouled.
Ancient History
Y'know, that's too many edges/flaws.
toturi
I think Raven's taking the line that SURGE effects are seperate from normal Edge/Flaws.
BitBasher
QUOTE (Ancient History)
Y'know, that's too many edges/flaws.

Since IIRC at chargen SURGE effects count as edges/flaws I believe you are right.
toturi
SURGE effects from SURGE test do not.
Cynic project
I think I can make soemthing more than twice as fast as snow raven's thing.
Cain
You forgot to make him a Tiger shapeshifter. With an essence of 7, we can reach 1050 m/ct, which is close enough to supersonic for our purposes.
Cynic project
Shifters are pointless. Give more gesa say 4(or maybe 5) Get muslce replacement and skates. That'll teach them trying to keep up with you. And from what I gather moore actions does npt make you run faster unless you count MBW level 3+.
Austere Emancipator
MBW makes you run faster with the Quickness boost and the additional Athletics dice, nothing else. You get these with any rating of MBW.
Cynic project
At rating 3 and four you get extra actions that are not phases. As athletics can increase your running speed for a phase as complex action,and you get more actions than phases you can on the first two phases roll your athletics twice in each phase. Making you noticably faster.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012