Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Channeling an elemental and Materialization?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Espiritu
Could a mage channel an Elemental into themselves via the Channeling metamagic in Awakened Lands and use the elemental power of Materialization? I ask because it says that you get access to all the powers of the elemental at it's equivalent force.
Kagetenshi
Given that you are still physical, I’d say you have the power but can’t use it meaningfully.

~J
Espiritu
For the moment I need rational answers. Objectional are appreciated but I require specific reasoning.

I need to know why I wouldn't be able to use materialization when I am technically the elemental form.

Here's an aditional point...this is in regards to my character who is a Drake recently, and they are dual beings when in Drake form. Does that help or change any of the "aspects" associated with Materialization?
Kagetenshi
Rationalization: you are physical. The elemental has been channeled into your body. Since you are physical, while you might be able to materialize, the fact that you are already physical makes that ability worthless.

It’s like giving a fish the Water Breathing power or something.

~J
Espiritu
Ok so your saying that Elementals naturally rest upon the Astral plain and simply are relaxing the use of Materialization to leave the Physical plain? And that they don't actively use Materialization to move between the two plains?
Demonseed Elite
That's basically what he is saying, yes. Spirits naturally reside on the Astral Plane, and they activate Materialization to appear physically in the Physical Plane. They "turn off" Materialization to return to their natural state in the Astral.
Kagetenshi
Correct, as the writers have not made it clear at all in my reading that they mean to imply anything but the general use of materialization (other than the specifically stated rules), being , loosely,“to make physical”. Given that there are no references to mages materializing on the astral, I’d say the evidence is decent.

~J
Espiritu
Damn... Thanks guys.

I was really hoping I could deMaterialize to the Astral plane and physically project onto the Astral for the duration of the Channeling. And move about as an elemental would. ^_^
Kagetenshi
It would be nice. Broken, certainly, but nice smile.gif

~J
RedmondLarry
Nice trick, Espiritu, if you could make it work. I look forward to seeing whatever other tricks you come up with.
Shockwave_IIc
But doesn't Channeling rules specifically forbid the use of Materialize to the point where you don't actually get it?? (Along with Engulf i think...)
Tenebris
! Maybe you've just found the source of that old Lightbearer power to physically shift oneself into the astral.
Espiritu
Tenebris:
Maybe you've just found the source of that old Lightbearer power to physically shift oneself into the astral.[/QUOTE]

Lightbearer?? Can you site this ability at all? I'm very interested in anything that can make my mage-drake "astrally versatile". Astral space is his focus...well until he turned drake it was. ^_^

And yes, I found out last night that it does explicitly forbid materialization and engulf.

mfb
do a search for "Manifesting" on this page. Wireknight's come up with SR equivalents of that ability.
Kayne
Interesting idea, espiritu.

I wonder, would you be able to astrally project, and then materialise?
Espiritu
Wow, that's some strong stuff...Transubstantiating at Initiate level 15? That's insanely high up there.

Thanks for the Materialization info...but Transubstantiating is really what I was looking for.

Kayne,

read the resource that "mfb" provided. It answers that exactly.
Tenebris
Sorry, Espiritu, missed seeing your request.

That initiate level would not be at all inappropriate - the ability I mentioned was from the Earthdawn books (Earthdawn Companion), and could only be learned at the 15th (highest) circle. It also came tied to one heck of a commitment - call it the equivalent of a life's vocation to hunting out and trying to destroy the worst of life-destroying evils.
Canid13
I could have a corrected printing, but in my T:AL it specifically says you can't use Engulf and Materialisation when channelling spirits.
Zenmaxer
Thankfully.... There's too many glitches otherwise, especially with engulf. Can one astrally project while channeling? I don't have me books with me so..
Canid13
You can but when you do the channeling ends and you take the drain for the channeling, which is kinda severe - (Force)D I think.
Zenmaxer
Yeouch, okay, thought so.
Canid13
Yeah, it has problems, but it's definately something my wolf shaman will be learning once he's done the usual techniques (shielding, masking, invoking).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012