Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [ShadowsOfEurope] European Flags
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Skarn Ka
It's been a while since I noticed it, and maybe someone already asked the question:
Where are the flags ?
It was a nice addition to SoNA, and I can't believe the EuroSBers haven't thought about drawing flags given all the nice corporate logos.
So what ? Is it supposed to be available on the website, is it in the works, or forgotten in the depths of the EuroSB project ?

Regarding the new shape of Europe, I guess a few flags may have changed: UK obviously, Tir na nOg's must be brand new, Italy probably has changed its flag, there must be one for the Scand Union...
I'm especially interested in seeing the flags of Euskalherria, Tir na nOg and the NEEC.

--Skarn
JongWK
The NEEC flag? Probably like the EU one, except it has nuyen signs instead of stars and a dragon in the center. D
MYST1C
AFAIK the AGS still uses today's black-red-gold flag.
The various coats of arms of the AGS member states can be seen here (from the new German sourcebook "Brennpunkt: ADL).
Sepherim
Euskal Herria's flag would probably be quite near the actual flag of the vasq Community, though probably not exactly the same as it's the symbol for another couple Communities and a part of France. I'll give it a thought, since I must admit I hadn't really thought about it...
mattness pl
Mystic - http://www.fanpro.com/sr/material/wappen/frankfurt.gif - that's polish one:D . That's the robbery:) !!!
Skarn Ka
QUOTE (M¥$T1C)
AFAIK the AGS still uses today's black-red-gold flag.

I guess so if KS's cover art can be considered anything close to canon biggrin.gif
I *LOVE* this pic and its tons of details... the corp holo-logo, the scarf and so on... love.gif
Snow_Fox
Most nations would just have their current flags. The only drastic change would be the Scandanavian union. All the countries have a theme of crosses so probably some variation on that, and Belgium's would disapear.

It's never been said what Tir Na Nog's clours are, I'm guessing the dandilion eaters would dump the green-white-orange of the modern republic.
audun
All Scandinavian countries keep their flags, as in the European Union of today. Don't know if it says so anywhere in the book, but that's the way it is supposed to be (so take it as canon untill Rob Boyle says otherwise). They are still independent countries, despite the union. There will probably be a flag for the union as a whole too though.
MYST1C
QUOTE (Skarn Ka)
I guess so if KS's cover art can be considered anything close to canon

"KS"?

I mainly thought of the Saeder-Krupp corp logo that is today's German flag with an added dragon's head.
Skarn Ka
QUOTE (M¥$T1C)
QUOTE (Skarn Ka)
I guess so if KS's cover art can be considered anything close to canon

"KS"?

I mainly thought of the Saeder-Krupp corp logo that is today's German flag with an added dragon's head.

Klaus Schwerinski, German illustrator (my favorite) who did the SoE cover and much of the artwork in German products (Schockwellen in particular).
I guess the red-haired guy on the cover is some kind of German nationalist/terrorist with a Basque friend. Since I suppose his jacket is less than 20 years old, it would mean the flag is still the same (but it may also be a tribute to the former BRD as it exists with DDR symbols today).
Now this is assuming illos are anything close to canon.
Logically the Union Jack has changed, reverting to the 1606 version (check this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Jack) with the loss of Ireland.
BTW, does Great Britain aknowledge the independence of Ireland ? Did they accept to change their flag to accept this humiliation ?

There's probably a Scand Union flag, maybe one for Russian Poland. I'm not sure Italy would keep its since it's not a unitarian Republic anymore.
Sepherim
Probably, each part of Italy would have a new flag, maybe something related to their history or something like it. It would surely be something that sets each one's individuality, as they try to break bonds with the old Italy.
lorg
Couldn't Italy just revert back to flags used previously?
Skarn Ka
QUOTE (lorg)
Couldn't Italy just revert back to flags used previously?

Possibly, but the breakdown is at places slightly different from that of the different regions that joined to form a united Italy under the banner of Piedmont & Sardinia in 1870.
Plus there would still be a flag for the Confederation (I thought more about this one).
Depending on what the political will to re-unify is, this may be the current-day flag with Papal symbols on it smile.gif
BIG BAD BEESTE
Hmmm, I noticed that there were no flags for the European nations as well. Compared to SoNA I thought that this was a bit of an oversight. but then I remembered that the European nations aren't all new and spangly like the NAN state. Therefore they'd still use their traditional flags - or ones that invoke the earlier themes/heraldry of previous times. thus, there are really no "new" flags and that means a little research will turn up the ones in use today.

The final point of consideration as to why these modern flags weren't used is quite a simple one really. How many of Europe's nations have flags that are of three distinct colours? Quite a few and many nations share the same three colours too, just in a different order or alignment (IE: horizontal instead of vertical). Therefore, distinguishing between those similar flags is not so easy for a book without interior colour illustrations. Still, a website download would be cool.

Oh, and Skarn Ka. The UK flag - the Union Jack hasn't changed. We Brits are too stuck in our ways to do so, hence the comments about St. Patrick's cross in the Land section of the UK Chapter.
Snow_Fox
BBB How many brit's today recognize what the cross of St. Patrick is? I know the English have St. George and the Scotts St Andrew as national emblems but do they know about St. Patrick? maybe some noise from the Welsh?
lorg
Welsh? Wasn't Saint Patrick Irish?
BIG BAD BEESTE
He was in fact Welsh in his origins, despite becoming the Patron Saint of Ireland. then again St. George was allegedly from somewhere around Albania or Slovakia.

As for the flags - St.Georges (England) cross is the vertical/horizontal red upon white background; St. Andrews (Scotland) cross is the diagonal white upon dark blue background; and St. Patrick's (Irish) cross is diagonal red upon white background. Combined they make up the Union Jack. The Welsh flag is a red dragon upon a green field, I believe - there are a multitude of county-based flags and Wales has long been considered English land.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012