Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: goblinisation and cyber wear
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Edward
What is the effect of surg or goblinisation on pre installed cyber wear and biowear.

With a minor serge effect I can see it having no effect but imaging having cyber legs and turning into a troll. A smart gun link would be a problem as the fibber optic link from your eye to your hand will not have a long enough cable.

If the brain structure different enough that headwear bio and cyber need to be built differently. This could be lethal in an otherwise normal transfer.

Also how common was cyber wear before the advent of goblinisation)

Edward
Kanada Ten
2019 - The Transys Corporation announces the successful implantation of the first cybernetic limb on a human being with the replacement of the left hand of Leonora Bartoli. The new limb links into the nervous system of the user and allows fine-motor control. This allows Bartoli to once again play the violin. (Shadowrun Third Edition)

2021 - On April 30, one out of every ten men, women, and children suddenly metamorphosize into bizarre humanoid shapes. Soon after, children begin being born this way or change soon after puberty. This change, termed by the media as "goblinization", marks the first occurrence of "trolls" and "orks". Variant expressions of goblinization occur in different geographical regions, such as the minotaur troll in the Mediterranean basin, and the ogre ork in continental Europe. (Shadowrun Second Edition)

Not very common.
Kagetenshi
People do still goblinize postnatally, though it typically happens at puberty and thus limits the plausible cyberware loadout. Most likely would be a datajack or cybereyes being rendered useless.

~J
Jason Farlander
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
People do still goblinize postnatally, though it typically happens at puberty and thus limits the plausible cyberware loadout. Most likely would be a datajack or cybereyes being rendered useless.

~J

I've heard this mentioned before, and yes there was another wave of goblinizations in 2061. However. aside from the original goblinization event and the comet-linked goblinizations, do you have any canon references to the fact that it still occurs?
Herald of Verjigorm
It's talked about in the genetic discussions in SotA2063. Just that it happens, and that there is a complicated reason why.
Edward
In the year of the comet cyber wear was common what happened to all the surge victims (victim sounds so negative, what is the politically correct term)

And with the change of skull shape I can see a data jack killing you. It is wired into the brain.

“Full Borg conversion goblinises. By mass we assume he as going to be a troll but it could have been a variant type.”

What have you done with people that where blessed by the surge when they had cyber wear.

Edward
snowRaven
The ork combat decker in one of my campaigns SURGEd, but none of the effects were severe enough to really affect his cyber (Cat's Eyes (he had natural), Altered Skin Color, some cosmetic changes to his ears and nose-mouth area, Critter Spook, Color Blind).

For guidelines about how to treat existing Cyber/Bio during goblinization or SURGE, I'd suggest looking to the rules for becoming a ghoul in SC.
Jason Farlander
The answer to this question is in YotC, and I'm surprised noone has quoted that source yet:

QUOTE (pg 141 @ YotC)
"At the Gamemasters discretion, certain implants may suffer stress or failure."

So the official answer is that it's up to the GM, but, generally, rather than harming the user, cyber tends to get damaged or destroyed.

I'd say that, from the standpoint of trying to be realistic, it can in certain circumstances be quite a bit tricker than that. When you become a ghoul your body does undergo some major physiological changes, true. But you dont change drastically in size. What happens when someone with titanium bone lacing or a cybertorso goblinizes into a troll? It seems to me that either of those would result in quick, messy death - unless you ignore the pictures and timeline text and rule that goblinization takes place over the course of several days or weeks, in which case they would cause a slow messy death unless removed very early in the transformation.
Shockwave_IIc
Just imgained a human with titanium lacing SURGEing into a troll....

ouch...
RangerJoe
When just such a thing happened in my game (heavily chromed street sam had cyberware magically purged-- part of a pre-SURGE hand-of-god sort of event), I described the experience to my player thus:

"The agony that you are experiencing is unlike any pain you've ever known. Rivulets of molten aluminum pour out of your skin at several places, and yet somehow you neither bleed, nor burn. For a woman whose life has been cyber-enhanced up until now, getting used to this magic business is going to take a very long time."
lokugh
QUOTE (Jason Farlander)

I've heard this mentioned before, and yes there was another wave of goblinizations in 2061. However. aside from the original goblinization event and the comet-linked goblinizations, do you have any canon references to the fact that it still occurs?

In SOTA 2063, it is mentioned that goblinization only occurs when the mana level is high (it also said that some ork and troll children are born human and then goblinize at puberty). So, if a baby with the necessary genetics is born in an area of low mana levels and grows to adulthood there and then leaves that area for an area of normal mana, they would very quickly goblinize. This is most likely in SR to occur to babies born in areas of mana warp (outerspace, as an example).

Theoretically, if a baby with ork genetics, for example, were conceived and raised in an area of mana warp...say a facility completely filled with Strain III, or parts of Chicago or Z-O...and then left as an adult, they would then goblinize.
BitBasher
I was also under the impression that it could only happen at puberty if they were born a sapiens sapiens, a window of opportunity of sorts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012