Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jelly Bryce
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
otomik
http://www.gutterfighting.org/jellybryce.html
It has been known as historical fact that some human beings are gifted with eyesight that seems almost supernatural to the average man. Ted Williams, it was said, could read the label off a phonograph record spun through the air. General Chuck Yeager could see fighter planes coming 50 miles away. Bryce one day confessed to FBI agent Bob Oswalt that he could see the bullet leave the gun and his eyes could follow its trajectory to the target. That, he said, was why he could do the things he did. Before dismissing it out of hand, it must be remembered that Bryce could hit a Mexican peso thrown through the air with a .22 and he never, ever missed. Not only that but ten years after his retirement his niece says that he had long since quit shooting for fun but that, when called upon, he would demonstrate exactly the same level of skill as the day he retired. Like an aging Samurai in cowboy hat, he had transcended the need for practice of any kind.

Just an interesting story of an amazing life. kinda pissed me off that adepts always sucked as gunfighters compared to street sams, adepts always cast as the luddite type with alergies or essence loss from cordite (early mage stereotypes, sometimes encouraged by the sourcebooks and rules themselves).
Edward
Unless am mistaken an adept can be a far superior marksman to a street sam. You can take improved ability with a fire arm of your choice and possibly pay the magic point to have a smart link 2 installed (or use a laser sight and rely on skill.)

The only problem is that adepts don’t make good generalists while a street sam can fairly easily be quite good in 3 or 4 weapons.

Edward
Kagetenshi
I sincerely doubt his claim as to seeing the bullet, but that’s still quite impressive.

Even at a measly 500 feet per second your eyes would have to capture sometime within the first .02 seconds to see the bullet somewhere within the first ten feet. While that isn’t out of the realm of possibility, it’s still pretty unlikely. If you want to see the bullet as it leaves the gun (we’ll be generous and give it a full foot), you’re down to .002 seconds; to reliably see that, your eyes would have to capture at all of 500 frames per second!

I guess the test would be, could he stand to watch movies? If so, his eyes almost definitely didn’t capture fast enough.

~J
mfb
adepts are luddites...? sheesh, nobody told me!
Siege
Short of dissecting the man, it's impossible to know how he did what he did.

But adepts can be far superior gunslingers - but like anything else, once the adept is specialized, (s)he becomes a one-trick pony.

And to be fair, I'm not sure that cybernetics provides any better ability to mimic the gunslinger's abilities.

For all we know, Mr. Bryce may have just spent a helluvalot of his magic points on IA: handguns and a very kind GM allowed him to use the IA dice as a comp bonus to his perception score when applied to firearms. grinbig.gif

-Siege
mrobviousjosh
QUOTE (Edward)
Unless am mistaken an adept can be a far superior marksman to a street sam. You can take improved ability with a fire arm of your choice and possibly pay the magic point to have a smart link 2 installed (or use a laser sight and rely on skill.)

You could only have a smartlink 1 installed with an adept (because the smartlink 2 requires installed cyberware). The general rule of thumb is that street sams are more accurate (especially with cybereyes like ultrasound or whatever) but adepts are easier to heal with magic, harder to detect, and generally more stable.
Edward
It has previously been proposed that the world is a role-playing game but I am quite confident in saying that god is not a generous GM.

The fooling cybernetics help you be a better gunslinger.

Quickness enhancement (preferably bio) to allow the skill to be purchased at a more favourable cost. And aditional combat pool

Strength enhancement for natural recoil reduction.

Improved int biowear. Additional combat pool

Smart link (or version 2) reduce target numbers

Range finder reduce target numbers at range

Enhanced articulation +1 dice to physical uses of the skill (are there any non physical uses of gun skills)

Reflex recorder +1dice

Image magnification reduce target numbers at range (available as scope).

That is all I can think of off the top of my head but there may be others.

There are just as many ways to improve your skill as an adept but you are more limited in the number of improvements you can take.

Also remember you can mix the 2 and a smart link 2 is probably worth the loss of magic. –2 target numbers and your dice are reduced from 12 to 10 (assuming some combat pool and you reduce your improve skill gun by 2 points)

Edward
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (mrobviousjosh)
You could only have a smartlink 1 installed with an adept (because the smartlink 2 requires installed cyberware). The general rule of thumb is that street sams are more accurate (especially with cybereyes like ultrasound or whatever) but adepts are easier to heal with magic, harder to detect, and generally more stable.

There is no reason whatsoever you couldn’t stick a smartlink-2 in an Adept. It would reduce the maximum level of IA: Pistols by one, but the TN reduction is, I believe, worth the extra die in every case.

~J
mfb
nor does using a smartlink-2 require cyberware. you just need smartlink-2 goggles. granted, you'll only get -1 TN instead of -2, but you still get the lower called shot TN.
lokugh
Ted Williams could tell what seam on a baseball he hit the ball on. Ron Luciano, in his book, The Umpire Strikes Back, talks about seeing Williams do it in spring training, many years after he had retired. They pine tarred the bat and then checked the mark on the ball where Ted said he hit it.

He and Yeager and Neil Armstrong all had 20/10 vision or better as well. Which brings up a new point. It is expected that by 2010 laser surgery will be able to correct eyes to 20/10 vision (nice symmetry there...). So, we are proceeding nicelhy toward building a better human.
mrobviousjosh
QUOTE (mfb @ Sep 7 2004, 06:02 PM)
nor does using a smartlink-2 require cyberware. you just need smartlink-2 goggles. granted, you'll only get -1 TN instead of -2, but you still get the lower called shot TN.

The smartgoggles v.s. cybereyes is what I was referring to, unless you want to take the essence loss. In the end, a more experienced runner once put it to me like this. Street Sams are better with lowering TNs and dealing damage with guns...for now. Once you get Karma and can build up your improved ability pistols (along with other nifty adept stuff) you'll find that a slight difference in TN favors the higher quantity of dice; especially for lower TNs. Though a Street Sam may be more consistent, an adept has an ability to receive more successes. Anyway, that's what I was lead to believe.
Kagetenshi
Twelve dice, TN 2: 10 sucesses. Eighteen dice, TN 4: 9 successes.

Seventeen dice, TN 2, ~14 successes.

~J
mrobviousjosh
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Twelve dice, TN 2: 10 sucesses. Eighteen dice, TN 4: 9 successes.

Seventeen dice, TN 2, ~14 successes.

~J

Like I said, he's more experienced and talked me into believing this; though I never did the math behind it to figure out the odds of success. I guess in "theory" adepts hit harder. spin.gif
Siege
Don't forget the geas possibilities - the adept might not even have to lose the point of magic.

-Siege
BitBasher
QUOTE (Siege)
Don't forget the geas possibilities - the adept might not even have to lose the point of magic.

-Siege

Well by the book, that's up the the GM and not the Adept... vegm.gif
Siege
Snicker.

Geas the magic loss from "Smartlink 2" with "only when unarmed". grinbig.gif

-Siege
Smiley
Meh. One initiation and you're good again. Definitely worth it. Learn Wildcat, too, for the called shot bonus.
Wounded Ronin
Geas, +12 dice, smartlink.....that's all you need.

Ah, so cheesy. So broken.
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (lokugh)
Ted Williams could tell what seam on a baseball he hit the ball on. Ron Luciano, in his book, The Umpire Strikes Back, talks about seeing Williams do it in spring training, many years after he had retired. They pine tarred the bat and then checked the mark on the ball where Ted said he hit it.

The U.S. Women's Softball team has a training device system to train their eyes to do the same thing.
Siege
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)

Ah, so cheesy. So broken.

Not really - ya gotta live long enough to get that shot off.

-Siege
Siege
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
QUOTE (lokugh @ Sep 7 2004, 06:15 PM)
Ted Williams could tell what seam on a baseball he hit the ball on.  Ron Luciano, in his book, The Umpire Strikes Back, talks about seeing Williams do it in spring training, many years after he had retired.  They pine tarred the bat and then checked the mark on the ball where Ted said he hit it.

The U.S. Women's Softball team has a training device system to train their eyes to do the same thing.

Ya know, that just sounds like a fun machine to play with.

-Siege
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Siege)
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Sep 8 2004, 03:15 AM)

Ah, so cheesy.  So broken.

Not really - ya gotta live long enough to get that shot off.

-Siege

Three points of IA: Pistols, three points of Imp. Reflexes.

~J
Siege
Sure Kage - but that's no longer cheesy and broken. grinbig.gif

-Siege
Kagetenshi
Well, unless you've got a skill of 12, you're only using six of those IA points anyway, so it's a crippled character, not a cheesy one.

IA is limited by Magic and Skill. A Grade 6 initiate with Pistols 12 deserves to be that utterly sick with a gun.

~J
Siege
If you did nothing but spend magic points on IA: handgun and still managed to live long enough to Initiate not only once, but six times, you can be as cheesy as you like. grinbig.gif

-Siege
Kagetenshi
Keep in mind that IA: Pistols only costs a half-point per, so you've got six points of other powers by that point.

~J
Raygun
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
I sincerely doubt his claim as to seeing the bullet, but that’s still quite impressive.

I've been able to see .45 ACP ball heading down range at a 25 yard target several times in my life. Given, it only tends to happen at indoor ranges where the light is controlled. The .45 bullet is also moving about two-thirds as fast as an average .357 bullet. Anyway, it can be done. Seems like the more I shoot, the more often it happens.
Kagetenshi
Is the lighting fluorescent where you shoot, by any chance?

~J
Kayne
That guy Bryce is definitely up there with, if not beyond, fellows like Mas Oyama and Bruce Lee.
Raygun
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Sep 8 2004, 02:40 PM)
Is the lighting fluorescent where you shoot, by any chance?

I don't think so, but they could be halogen. They're definitely not the long, tubular fluorescent type. Of the two indoor ranges I can remember this happening at, both have a series of flood/spot lights arranged in slats along the ceiling. Each lane has three or four lights that hit the target directly at a specific range.
Moon-Hawk
It's not that amazing. I've seen the bullet from a .44 plenty of times, same as Raygun. Outside. Of course, that's ONLY when I'm staring straight down the trajectory, so pretty much only my own shots. The only time I've ever seen someone else's bullet was when I was right over their shoulder. No way I could see one going across my field of vision. I suppose I could see one coming straight in, too, but I'd rather not test that theory.

So I'd say Jelly's claim of being able to follow a bullet's trajectory is varying degrees of amazing depending on the conditions.
Smiley
I'm surprised nobody brought up enhanced artwinkulation or reflex recorders for that extra boost.
Kayne
They had bioware back then? smile.gif
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Smiley)
I'm surprised nobody brought up enhanced artwinkulation or reflex recorders for that extra boost.
QUOTE (Edward @ Sep 7 2004, 09:38 PM)
Enhanced articulation +1 dice to physical uses of the skill (are there any non physical uses of gun skills)

Reflex recorder +1dice
Would have been a miracle, really, if Enhanced Artwinkulation had not been mentioned. Reflex Recorded does tend to get forgotten about, though.
Young Freud
I remember reading about stories, stories mind you, about some of those old WWII Japanese soldiers who never got the order to surrender learning how to dodge bullets. The secret was said to be the time they'd do a raid or something. They would try to stage an attack around sunset, with the sun hanging low. They could see the reflection of the low sun coming off the bullet traveling toward them and evade accordingly. I assume this was one of those trial and error type things, were you're only wrong once. Also, I also believe this was only against single or maybe a couple of armed opponents and probably at long ranges with bolt action or semi-automatic rifles.
Raygun
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
It's not that amazing.  I've seen the bullet from a .44 plenty of times, same as Raygun.  Outside.  Of course, that's ONLY when I'm staring straight down the trajectory, so pretty much only my own shots.  The only time I've ever seen someone else's bullet was when I was right over their shoulder.  No way I could see one going across my field of vision.

I've seen them outside as well, but it seems to happen a lot more infrequently than it does indoors. I do the vast majority of my shooting outdoors these days and I can't remember the last time I saw a bullet moving down range there. I have seen other people's bullets a few times as well, standing perpendicular to the bore. In fact, the first time I ever saw a bullet in flight with my own eyes was in a case like that. Again, at an indoor range. But that definitely does not happen as often as I see my own bullets, and even that doesn't happen very often.

There was an episode of "Tales Of The Gun" on the History Channel once that had a few US military rifle competitors practicing for high-power matches (can't remember which group or even which match). They were shooting .300 Win Mag at 600-yard targets. The show had a scope cam, and with it you could see the bullet cutting through the air on its way to the target. I've never seen that personally, but it sure did look cool. I think it must have been particularly hot and humid where they were.

So I'd say Jelly's claim of being able to follow a bullet's trajectory is varying degrees of amazing depending on the conditions.

I'd agree with that.
Edward
Would eth idea not be to start with pistols 6 IA pistols 6 (3 points of magic) a smart link 2 & range finder a geasa (witch I believed was chosen by the adept with the GMs approval) and 3 points of magic spent on other things. Starting character 12 dice + combat pool of up to 6 moderately impressive average successes for an important shot at med or long range 12.

You increase your pistols skill one point. Initiate increase your IA pistols 1 point and something else with the other ½ magic point.

After doing this 6 times you have 12 pistols and IA pistols 12. For a truly important shot you can role 36 dice (assuming you have at least 12 combat pool) Average successes at medium or long range without other modifiers 24.

Whatever you do you don’t by all the IA pistols at the start before you can use it otherwise you cripple the character.

Edward
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (SR3 @ p. 168)
An adept cannot have more levels in a power than the adept's Magic Attribute.
So not only would you cripple the character, you would break the rules as well.
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (Edward)
You increase your pistols skill one point. Initiate increase your IA pistols 1 point and something else with the other ½ magic point.

After doing this 6 times you have 12 pistols and IA pistols 12. For a truly important shot you can role 36 dice (assuming you have at least 12 combat pool)...

Karma cost for this character assuming Quickness 9:

Magic 7 = 9
Pistols 7 = 10 (19)
Magic 8 = 10 (29)
Pistols 8 = 12 (43)
Magic 9 = 12 (55)
Pistols 9 = 13 (68)
Magic 10 = 13 (81)
Pistols 10 = 20 (101) or 15 (96)
Magic 11 = 15 (116) or (111)
Pistols 11 = 22 (138) or 16 (127)
Magic 12 = 16 (154) or (143)
Pistols 12 = 24 (178) or 18 (161)

178 Karma for a Quickness 9 or 161 for Quickness 12
Kagetenshi
Doesn’t max level of IA: Pistols go off of the base skill?

~J
Kanada Ten
Yeah, it does, page 169 SR3. I'll revise the costs.
The Question Man
Pistols - 6
Edge: Aptitude (Pistols) - (+4 Edge)
Enhanced Skill (Pistols) - 6 dice (3 Magic points)
Increased Reflexes - 2 (3 Magic points)
Combat Pool - 6

Firing Pistol - 18 dice

Karma Pool - Priceless

GM character approval ???

Cheers

QM
Moon-Hawk
You'd better believe there's GM approval needed if you're planning on Aptitude (Pistols) edge. The other dumpshockers didn't forget about aptitude, they just didn't consider it an option.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Young Freud)
I remember reading about stories, stories mind you, about some of those old WWII Japanese soldiers who never got the order to surrender learning how to dodge bullets. The secret was said to be the time they'd do a raid or something. They would try to stage an attack around sunset, with the sun hanging low. They could see the reflection of the low sun coming off the bullet traveling toward them and evade accordingly. I assume this was one of those trial and error type things, were you're only wrong once. Also, I also believe this was only against single or maybe a couple of armed opponents and probably at long ranges with bolt action or semi-automatic rifles.

Dude, a pistol cartridge is one thing, but a bigass military rifle cartridge from WWII is another. A .30-.06 cartridge is huge. Think of all that powder. I really, really don't think a human body can move fast enough to "dodge" that.
Kagetenshi
It can't, nor can it with pistols. Nor, for most intents and purposes, with longbows at shortish range.

~J
Austere Emancipator
Assuming you're watching for the rifle muzzle flash of an enemy in a known position at a very, very long range, you could probably react to it by moving in some direction. I found quotes of 1.5-2.5 second flight times to 1000 meters for different 7.62mm rifle shots (the 7.62x39mm probably takes much longer than that, the .30-06 apparently just about or under 2sec). At night, you could easily see the muzzle flash that far.

At reasonable engagement ranges, though, that's just not going to happen. At 100 meters, you're looking at a flight time of 0.3 to 0.4 seconds, not enough for a normal human being to initiate significant movement, and that still assumes you were basically watching for a muzzle flash from a particular point.

Still, seeing the incoming bullet and then dodging it sounds like BS. As usual for war stories.
Kagetenshi
In one second you could drop some 4.905ish meters, so I suppose that's possible. Unlikely once you start taking actual time to react and considering that a lot of your body is in the way when it comes to just falling down.

~J
Austere Emancipator
Extremely unlikely in any actual situation where someone is being shot at, certainly. Damn near impossible in any firefight.
Siege
Artwinkulation and reflex recorders are only a possibility if the GM will allow geasa - otherwise adding two dice isn't worth the cost in Magic (Imho).

Couple a smartlink with a tricked-out cyber eye and you've got a pretty effective gun-bunny.

-Siege
Kagetenshi
Two dice in exchange for one potential level of IA:P?

~J
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012