Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Okay, the power of the doc.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
BitBasher
Picking up a manual let's you armchair quarterback it. Not comparable.
Tanka
On the subject of learning from a manual: You know how many people successfully read a manual on how to put something together and still manage to screw up?

Same goes for learning something like a computer language. You can read those all you want, but if you don't practice it correctly, you're not going to learn it, no matter how much time you spend practicing.
mfb
yes, that's what we're talking about. you learn from a manual by reading the manual, and then practicing what you've read. i'm not saying you can sit down and read a manual over and over again until you're an expert. that's insane--just as insane as the idea that it's impossible to learn something without being taught by an instructor. instructors make it easier, sure, but it's obviously not impossible, because someone had to learn those skills on their own in the first place, in order to create the body of knowledge that instructors teach.
Cynic project
One, the docotor was acussed of war crimes.As in using biological WMD on live people, he got off do to lack of evadence. Two he had his own goals,and plans, these goals and plans would have be ruined if he had to put up with the morals of others. He wasnted to make nerve gas that you could see, amung other things. Three his int was 10,ain't cyberware great! The time we could have done this sort of thing we had runners with roughly 230 karma under their belts.No the Gm was not a push over.

If one lives in the right place with the right threats, one is left alone.
Kagetenshi
What city did he destroy significant parts of?

And cyberware doesn't increase INT. You're probably thinking of the cerebral booster.

~J
Cynic project
A small city in India,I forget the name.

And that could be it, I didn't make his charcter,nor knew what cyber or bioware he had.But he had a lot.
bitrunner
encephalon?? that's cyberware
Tanka
Encephalon only increased Int in 1st/2nd. In 3rd it increases Int for the use of increasing Knowledge Skills.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (tanka)
Encephalon only increased Int in 1st/2nd. In 3rd it increases Int for the use of increasing Knowledge Skills.

INT-linked skills in general, but yeah, it doesn’t increase INT itself.

~J
Tanka
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (tanka @ Sep 15 2004, 05:22 AM)
Encephalon only increased Int in 1st/2nd.  In 3rd it increases Int for the use of increasing Knowledge Skills.

~J

Fair enough. I rarely touch that thing in 3rd anyway.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (tanka @ Sep 15 2004, 05:38 AM)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Sep 15 2004, 09:28 AM)
QUOTE (tanka @ Sep 15 2004, 05:22 AM)
Encephalon only increased Int in 1st/2nd.  In 3rd it increases Int for the use of increasing Knowledge Skills.

~J

Fair enough. I rarely touch that thing in 3rd anyway.

Indeed; it's only really useful if you're a Troll decker or something and really need the extra hacking pool and INT for skills. Even then it's really not worth the money.
Kagetenshi
It's cheaper than six points of MPCP.

~J
Zeel De Mort
Task pool is applicable to all Technical, B/R, Knowledge and Language skills - which isn't bad if you use those a lot. Particularly good for things like Electronics and Electronics B/R, Demonlitions etc.

Combined with a cerebral booster, mnemonic enhancer and enhanced articulation, that's a lot of extra dice on a lot of skills. Admittedly many of them aren't active, but it's still pretty good. Let's not forget the +2 hacking pool as well and - if you're into hardcore decking - you'll probably find the effective +2 Int for learning skills useful eventually when increasing your Computer and/or decking skill.

Still, it's the essence cost that'd put me off more than the nuyen.
Kanada Ten
One of the things I've heard bandied about is allowing Encephalon to act as a computer in conjunction with Headware Memory. The roleplaying aspects of the ware are also enormous if you use it and the GM agrees how it works.

[ Spoiler ]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012