Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Magic Rating, Casting above it, and Power Foci
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Espiritu
Is there any rules governing casting spells above your Magic Rating and your Spells Force level individually?
In clarification, can a person conceivably cast above their Magic rating?
And can a person cast a Spell above the Force they know?

If so what penalties are applied to such actions?
If they are expressely forbidden can someone site the pages?
And if there are no rules on this are there any suggestions on how one could determine the effects this action could have on the caster?

I'm asking because I'm about to Bond a Force 3 Power Foci and my Magic Rating will be concievably: current 6 Magic + 3 Power Focus = 9 Magic Rating.

Also can a Power Focus make up for lost Magic rating in determining at what Force you can cast, since each Force of the Focus accounts for 1 Magic Rating?

If you had magic loss from 6 to 5, and bonded a Force 1 Power Foci would your new allowed Force level be 6 again?
Backgammon

Yes, but all Drain is Physical, not Stun. No other restrictions.

Absolutely not.

If they are expressely forbidden can someone site the pages?

No. No book here. It's in the magic section, obviously.

Also can a Power Focus make up for lost Magic rating in determining at what Force you can cast, since each Force of the Focus accounts for 1 Magic Rating?

Uhh.. I'm not sure what you're asking, so here's the standard line: Power focus increase your magic rating when determining what force spell cause Physical drain or not (see above).

If you had magic loss from 6 to 5, and bonded a Force 1 Power Foci would your new allowed Force level be 6 again?

Yes. Don't lose your focus, though.
Espiritu
Ok, so you can learn spells up to your Sorcery and if your Sorcery is say for example 8, you could learn a Force 8 spell and cast as you please? (Taking into account Magic rating of course.)
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Espiritu)
you can learn spells up to your Sorcery

I've never heard of characters being limited to their Sorcery in spell Force. Couldn't find anything about that on a quick glance through Spell Learning in SR3.
Bigity
You can learn any force spell you can manage to roll high enough for. However, no matter what your Sorcery skill is, if the force of the spell you are casting is higher then your Magic skill (after the appropriate foci have been added), the drain is always physical.

You can always cast a spell at a force equal to or lower then the rating. For example, if you have Fireball at 8, you could cast it at 1-8 force.

However, you cannot design a spell with a force higher then your Spell Design skill rating.
Synner
And under standard rules you can't start with a Spell with a force rating over 6.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Espiritu)
Yes.

No. You can only cast the spell Force or lower (minimum 1).

If so what penalties are applied to such actions?
Casting a spell with a Force > Magic = Physical Drain.

I'm asking because I'm about to Bond a Force 3 Power Foci and my Magic Rating will be concievably: current 6 Magic + 3 Power Focus = 9 Magic Rating.
The Focus will effective give you a Magic Attribute of 9 for the pupose of casting. That means you could cast up to a Force 9 spell and still suffer only Mental Drain.

Focus only "temporarily replace" lost magic points by supplimenting you with its Rating. You aren't really replacing or gaining anything permenantly.

If you mean, "would I take mental drain instead?" then yes. As mentioned before, you can cast at the Force of the spell you know or lower.

Example:
-----------
You know 5 spells all at Force 6. You get banged up, and lose a point of Magic now you are Magic 5. You can still cast any of those spells up to their Force (6 in this case). The problem is, if you choose to cast them at Force 6, any drain would be physical instead of mental. If you instead, cast them at Force 5 (or lower) you would only incur mental drain.
BitBasher
And as a note that everyone should remember: If you take physical drain that drain CANNOT BE HEALED MAGICALLY. Thank you. That comes upo so often I'd like to pre-emptively head it off at the pass. biggrin.gif
Espiritu
lol, I am aware of that...just my GM apparently doesn't know much of the magic rules or something but everything else he's hot shiznit on... It's embarassing when I am asking questions here to clarify but really already knew. And the factor that made me ignorant was my GM telling me otherwise on some rules...not healing magical damage from drain was already known. But good thinking to cover it while we were at general rules of magic.
Kagetenshi
But, unless I'm very mistaken, it isn't excluded from Regeneration yet.

~J
BitBasher
Actually, and surprisingly, I believe it is. Drain regenerates at a box per minute instead of just "gone at the end of the round". So Regen helps, but not as much as everything else.
RedmondLarry
Official wording for Shapeshifter regeneration of physical drain from spellcasting is at that slow rate. Since nothing is said about regenerating physical drain from Conjuring it is presumably, officially, at the fast rate. But our team thinks that is just an oversight/error in the rules.
QUOTE (SR3.36)
...shapeshifter magicians regenerate the Physical damage caused by spellcasting Drain at a rate of 1 Damage box per minute.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012