Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: general combat strategies
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
toturi
Yes, usually runners don't run by themselves. But the sec rigger doesn't know if that guy is a loner or part of a diversion, but if you are saying that sending in the whole sec force is a standard operating procedure, then it got to work that way if the runners had sent on of their number in as a diversion. The GM cannot say "oh, they are worried that this is just a diversion, they are just sending 2 guys."
BitBasher
in a lot of cases, when a facility has only one response element they will send the whole thing unless they have a reason to suspect it's a blind. In larger facilities they lokely would not. It's all circumstantial, and about the team having done their homework.
iPad
Good shotgun skill and SA works. Ignore BF unless you gotta put someone down.
Ed Simons
QUOTE (toturi)
but if you are saying that sending in the whole sec force is a standard operating procedure

I'm saying the corporate security force would have standard response teams of a size they feel is adequate to deal with a team of runners. The number of these standard response teams would vary depending on the size and importance of the facility.

On detecting a lone runner, they would send a standard team, not part of it. Maybe it's a distraction or a lone idiot, but it's more likely there are other runners nearby they haven't detected yet.

If they've got the manpower on site, security would probably send a second response team to flank the runner or cut off their means of escape. Meanwhile, they'd place the rest of their security force on alert.

That's for any site large enough to have an on site security force at all. Smaller, less important facilities would have alarm systems and maybe a rent-a-cop or two whose job is to phone for help, not try to take on a whole team of runners.

Method of response will probably vary depending on how heavily armed the detected runner is. If someone is hauling a Panther Cannon with three rocker launchers strapped to their back, security will attempt to terminate them before they can use the heavy hardware.

OTOH, a runner with a just pistol will probably be given a chance to surrender. After all, runners are valuable deniable assets to corporations, and a captured runner can be used to the corporation's advantage.
toturi
Well, what I meant was that the GM should not change things to adapt to the situation if there is no good IC reason for the NPCs to do so.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (toturi @ Sep 26 2004, 06:44 PM)
Well, what I meant was that the GM should not change things to adapt to the situation if there is no good IC reason for the NPCs to do so.

While in general I agree with you, as I said in another thread if the GM is running a facility that would have much, much, much more planning and brainpower behind its defenses, the only way to make it realistic is to include some stuff that wasn't there before the players announced their plans. I haven't been forced to do it yet, but I freely admit that I am not the strategic or tactical equal of what the corps would have to throw.

In this specific case, however, you're entirely correct.

Edit: and rereading, everything I stated above could fall under a "good IC reason", which means you're right in every case. Never mind smile.gif

~J
Arz
QUOTE (GenoSicK)
I think Arz was thinking of those times when you CAN choose weither to engage a fight or not. nyahnyah.gif

Okay, to get back to the beginning this was KISS tactical advice for SR newbies. I didn't include any SR combat numbers theory and judging the skill level of one's opponents is intuitive and requires experience.

Engaging the enemy is always your choice. Moreso in SR than most games since players should be planners of their ops and not reacting to situations. Many SR's are in it for the money, not to heroicly die, and are able to run away when a situation goes FUBAR.

I agree that sometimes the choices one is given are harsh and you may end up sucking it up and/or dieing. Thankfully it's only a game. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012