Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HMHVV
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Grifter
which source books deal with HMHVV rules for pcs if there are any?
Nemo
Shadowrun Companion, the Ghoul Chapter, all other forms of Infection with HMHVV changes a PC to a NPC
Da9iel
Uh, Shadowrun Companion? Yes?
Lindt
Actually the old Critters book covers this as well. Not sure on the rest.
nezumi
If you're looking for data on HMHVV, I've found the absolute best resources are actually right here. Ancient History has a brief overview of stuff on his site, which is a good starter, and if you look through the archives, you'll find some very in depth information. I haven't found a single, consolidated source that can compare with what's available from our local experts.
Dashifen
QUOTE (nezumi)
If you're looking for data on HMHVV, I've found the absolute best resources are actually right here. Ancient History has a brief overview of stuff on his site, which is a good starter, and if you look through the archives, you'll find some very in depth information. I haven't found a single, consolidated source that can compare with what's available from our local experts.
Jr. Woodchuck
Also Subrosa had some excellent home made rules on HMHVV and players playing as one. Unfortunately I dont have a link but perhaps someone else can post the link.
Grifter
yeah that's what i'm looking for, rules to let a character play as someone infected by HMHVV
Ancient History
Starting out as one of the Infected is pretty much a no-no; you have to be infected during play, at which point the GM can choose to make you an NPC.

Of course, those who /try/ to get infected are like people that want to catch leprosy so they become immune to pain or who think sick people are sexy. A number of the infected really aren't suitable for PCs, lacking higher cognitive abilities.
k1tsune
Where is there mention of HMHVV-II?
Ancient History
A few places, mainly Paranormal ANimals of Europe. It only affects humans, trolls and sasquatches; and is pretty weird. Humans can catch it from loup-garous and possibly sasquatch, and are rendered sterile; trolls might well only pass it on to their offspring; and sasquatch are catch it from bandersnatch and pass it on to their offspring.

HMHVV-II is weird mainly because it lacks the essence-draining properties of HMHVV and has such weird infection patterns.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Ancient History)
Starting out as one of the Infected is pretty much a no-no; you have to be infected during play, at which point the GM can choose to make you an NPC.

Ghouls and the Krieger Strain. Other than that, you're right.

~J
Tanka
AH: It outright kills Orks, but leaves Dwarves as crazed Hobgoblins. Elves aren't mentioned, so that could be interpreted as becoming loup-garous as per Human.

Only Krieger-infected PCs are available at chargen. Depending on your GM and the power of your campaign, it's entirely possible to play HMHVV-infecteds as PCs. (Hell, I played a Dzoo-Noo-Qua for a short while. Wish we'd start that campaign back up... It was much fun.)
BitBasher
so that could be interpreted as becoming loup-garous as per Human.
IIC a loup garou is not an infected anything, it's another class of animal all together in SR.
Herald of Verjigorm
You may be thinking of chupacabra, since that shows genetic patterns similar to HMHVV, but isn't actually infectious.

Loup-garou is explicitly stated as human with HMHVV-II
Tanka
Loup-garou is a Human with HMHVV-II.
Powers: [...], Pestilence (HMHVV-2)
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (tanka)
AH: It outright kills Orks, but leaves Dwarves as crazed Hobgoblins. Elves aren't mentioned, so that could be interpreted as becoming loup-garous as per Human.

I'd love a canon reference for HMHVV-2 killing orks outright. You won't find it, since it isn't there, but I'd love to see one.

Goblins (not hobgoblins; they're an ork metavariant) are a result of HMHVV, not HMHVV-2.

The only strain of HMHVV that kills metas outright is HMHVV-3, and there are signs that this might not be completely true.
GoldenAri
If I remember correctly theres a section on it in Awakenings. I know it's 2nd ed. so you can argue that it doesn't apply, but I'm pretty sure it's there (I'm not home so I don't have my books).
Fortune
Some people have found this article from Steve Kenson helpful. smile.gif
Patrick Goodman
And I'm one of them, Fortune, but just because Steve wrote it doesn't make it canon.

And again, I'm looking for a canon reference. I don't recall anything of the sort in Awakenings (and 2nd editiion or not, it's still canon). If someone can give me a canon page reference, I'd appreciate it.
Fortune
I'm not saying there is a canon reference. I certainly don't recall one. I just posted the link to be helpful. smile.gif
Patrick Goodman
And I didn't mean to come across like an asshole, so for that I apologize. I am genuinely interested in a canon reference, though, since I'm working on some stuff and I'd hate to spring things on players if they couldn't exist in the SR game world. I'm quirky like that.
Fortune
It's cool. I don't think you came across as badly as you think. wink.gif

I seem to recall an essay, a fictional thesis written in a kind of academic style, on the different strains of HMHVV, but can't for the life of me remember where I saw it.
Patrick Goodman
There was a section in Threats, but it had nothing about HMHVV-2 being automatically deadly to orks.
Fortune
if it helps, in all my years of playing and running Shadowrun, I don't recall seeing anything about Strain II being deadly to orks.
Ancient History
To lay this to rest, hopefully: the effects of HMHVV-II on elves, orks and dwarves has not been documented in any English-language SR publication. Humans become Loup-Garou, Trolls become Formorians (not the metavariant...though I suppose you could have an HMHVV-II infected Formorian!), and Sasquatch become Bandersnatch.

Loup-Garou can pass on the virus to others, but cannot have children. Bandersnatch can pass on the virus, and pass it on to their children. Fomorians cannot infect others, though they may pass it on to their children (if they're not rendered sterile, it hasnae been mentioned yet.)
Kanada Ten
Don't you see! There's no mention of what happens to Orks because they are already infected! It's a cover up! They don't want you to know your children are in danger! Just like ghouls they want to make us food for these dogs! Orks are infected! Orks are infected...

Oh, sorry, thought this was a different chat room... Well, off I go.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012