Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Ancient Files: Transcripted
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Ancient History
Okay, I'm like really in need of absorbing Adam's ideas to better fix the site, plus I want to tear down the History of the Awakening and re-do it "Echoes of the Crash" style.

Ergo, I have a gift to keep ye occupied in the meantime:
an annotated versionof "Magic and Death", the cybermancy transcripts from Cybertechnology.

I'll be pleased to correct it if anybody feels they can add to it...or if anything needs clarifying. Except butter. I don't do butter.
KosherPickle
QUOTE (Ancient History)
I'll be pleased to correct it if anybody feels they can add to it...or if anything needs clarifying.  Except butter.  I don't do butter.

The only thing I can suggest is for you to go back and proof-read it. I'm not terribly interested in fixing your grammar/spelling errors. smile.gif I save that for sourcebooks!
Ancient History
I will give that all due consideration.
KosherPickle
QUOTE (Ancient History)
I will give that all due consideration.

I do have a serious question. Has it been determined who "infinity" and "omega" are?
Ancient History
No. I can't even really hazard a guess, all we know is one's American (UCAS or CAS) and the other's British. Both are hermetic, neither appears to be a druid of any sort. The Brit has conenctions with the Azanians, and appears generally more well-informed than the American. That's all I can glean.
KosherPickle
QUOTE (Ancient History)
No.  I can't even really hazard a guess, all we know is one's American (UCAS or CAS) and the other's British.  Both are hermetic, neither appears to be a druid of any sort.  The Brit has conenctions with the Azanians, and appears generally more well-informed than the American.  That's all I can glean.

Am I crazy in thinking that I've seen a conversation between "infinity" and "omega" in another book? Maybe I'm just delirious.
Ancient History
You're likely delerious. Wordsmyth and Lady of the Court; Laughing Man and Ambrose, but no Omega and Infinity.
KosherPickle
QUOTE (Ancient History)
You're likely delerious. Wordsmyth and Lady of the Court; Laughing Man and Ambrose, but no Omega and Infinity.

Okay, I think it was the Laughing Man and Ambrose conversation I had been thinking of. (Which was in Virtual Realities 2.0, if I'm not mistaken.)
Ancient History
Da. VR2.0
Abstruse
Wordsmythe and Lady of the Court? Which book did they have a chat in?

BTW, nice work...you need to do more of these nyahnyah.gif

The Abstruse One
Crimsondude 2.0
The Ws/LotC conversation was in POAD: DS.

The annotations are interesting. First of all, I thought that in Aztlan Azcapotlzalco was described as a mundane. I can't remember.

I'm surprised there wasn't more information on the Azanians themselves.

I thought LG's references to the Cabal in Threats were specifically to the annotators of Aztlan, of which this may or may not have spawned the title (IIRC, he quotes this in Threats, too).

The cancer comment being a metaphor is pretty obvious, I would think.

The wedding ring from that terrible first marriage that ended with the subject's wife face-down in the Potomac, or whatever.

The Potomac... That's a damn specific reference. What an interesting reference for an American mage. Of all the rivers in North America... And after nearly a decade I only just noticed this. I'd say we're pretty regional 'round here, so a New Yorker would use the East River or Hudson, Bostonian--Charles, Midwest--Mississippi, etc. Given the situation, and given the time (December '56) that IMO would implicate in general someone at Georgetown University, and specifically a certain professor and Presidential candidate who runs an initiate group in Washington, D.C.--The IOND (i.e., Roz Hernandez, someone whose ties to Aztlan may be closer than people realized). The other person is the chair of the Occult Studies Dept. at GU (Dr. Frazier--a dwarf from L.A. Scratch him.) who was also the magical expert on the Scott Commission investigating the Dunkelzahn Assassination. Hernandez, though, was IIRC one of the first suspects dating back to the publication of the book. However, the British mage refers to the American as a "wise man" for not investigating the Azzies' astral conduits. Scracth Roz. Besides, this mage seems far too naive on too many levels about basic magical principles to be either. My guess is a IOND member in D.C. The connection to Georgetown is probably why they know (about) Jesuits in Aztlan--Georgetown is a Jesuit-run university (North/South "American" Jesuit if you wish to make a distinction with the Europeans).

BTW, hasn't the comments about the astral pollution been long tied to theories about the Fovae?
Ancient History
The fovae are theorized to be damage to the pattern of astral space caused by the Blood Mage Gestlat, as opposed to raw astral pollution which would just create a background count.
Abstruse
If it helps any, the Brittish mage is obviously a female. Take note of the reaction to the "world's oldest profession" comment. No way a male would react that way to the joke...

The Abstruse One
Drachir
Hey - that was quite an interesting read. facelick.gif

But as I have not read very much ED-material, could anyone give me a bit of information about the Cabal?
And what is this "destruction of Mu"?

Thank you,

Drachir
Ancient History
Sorry: nobody knows anything about the Cabal. Period. Gut-level reactions place it as a group of IE's, maybe with Theran ties.

The destruction of Mu...ah, well. See, in DotSW it was revealed that the Ring of Fire is a host of interconnected power sites/mana lines, mostly aspected toward Eastern Dragons, because in the lst Age of magic, the eastern Dragons used those pwoer sites to create and maintain a flying island above the Pacific, where they'd meet and greet in peace. At the end of the Age, the mana dropped and so did the island. I call it Mu, you can call it R'leyh or Lemuria or whatever else ye'd like.
Velocity
Ancient History made me salivate with:
Well, here's the whole Martin de Vries/Ordo Maximus/Vampire Conspiracy plot

I'm sorry... what? lick.gif
DV8
QUOTE (Velocity)
Ancient History made me salivate with:
Well, here's the whole Martin de Vries/Ordo Maximus/Vampire Conspiracy plot

I'm sorry... what? lick.gif

Oh, come on...you know, right? smile.gif
Velocity
DV8 wrote:
Oh, come on...you know, right? smile.gif

Actually, I haven't, uh... read the, umm... Shadowrun fiction. At all. Ever. embarrassed.gif
Synner
Actually it also comes up in the original Threats sourcebook too. In this particular case I suggest you avoid the novel like the plague of vampires it contains and try the sourcebook instead.
DV8
Yeah, that novel is pretty bad. But it does have Martin de Vries and the vampire conspiracy that Ancient was talking about. smile.gif So be warned, Velocity. Don't ever say that Syn didn't warn you! smile.gif
Velocity
Synner wrote:
In this particular case I suggest you avoid the novel like the plague of vampires it contains and try the sourcebook instead.

DV8 wrote:
Yeah, that novel is pretty bad. But it does have Martin de Vries and the vampire conspiracy that Ancient was talking about.  So be warned, Velocity. Don't ever say that Syn didn't warn you!

Heh. biggrin.gif Thanks muchly guys, I'll definitely take your advice. I sorta anticipated as much, which is why I've stayed away from all SR fiction so far. The covers always look like the cyberpunk (and I use that term in its broadest sense) equivalent of, like, a Harlequin cover: all rippling muscles, leather bikinis and implausible haircuts.

I'm referring to the "romance" (another loose application of a word) franchise by the by, not the immortal tatterdemalion. wink.gif

I also haven't read Threats yet--is it all it's cracked up to be? It sounds mighty juicy but us students gotta count our pennies carefully, dig? smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012