Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trolls Weight
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Botch
Trolls, like other meta-humans and para-normal critters can only exist when there is a high enough mana level for their species. The apparent low weight of trolls can be explained away with this. All trolls whether mundane or awakened have 2 low level adept-like abilities - Reduced Weight and Renewing Joints. These always-on powers have a drain on the troll's mind, resulting in the some of the modifiers to mind-related attributes.

I am asking this, because I'm currently detailing a bunch of stuff for trolls, ranging from portable toilet seats to BFTGs and would like to see how people cope with trolls in their worlds.
Hutchman
I have to choose E. None of the Above.

In my campaigns, I have adopted the rules laid out in the TSS 13 article, "How Much Did You Say He Weighed?" Find it Here

This article correctly adjusts the average weights based on the size difference as compared to a Human.

Unfortunately, as we have recently discovered, this leaves Trolls grossly under-strength'd for their size. I hear everyone saying "No Way!", but its true. For a being that is 1.7 times the height of a Human and weighing 4.9 times as much, adding a mere +4 to Strength is NOT proportional. But thats another thread... smile.gif

The answer here is, We use the weight adjustments found in TSS Issue 13.

Enjoy.
Birdy
Yup, TSS13 is the way to go. And then make Tumby Troll pay! It's an evil, dark world and "Same rights for all" have long gone out of the window. Add in that Trolls are the "poor minority" and you get:

- Most bars are not build for Trolls (to small, to frail) and post "No Trolls allowed" signs

- Most supermarkets don't care for them as customers

- Public transport is not for them

Birdy
Botch
I have to choose E. None of the Above.

In my campaigns, I have adopted the rules laid out in the TSS 13 article, "How Much Did You Say He Weighed?" Find it Here

If actually read TSS13 about weights you will see that it suggests that the average troll weight would be 491.1 kg, so would you like to vote now?
Patrick Goodman
I've become quotable! It's so good to see the kids all grown and finding work!
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Birdy)

Are you kidding? Given how much they'd eat, a single Troll would probably be as good a supermarket customer as an entire small human family. If there'd be anyplace bending over backwards to make sure Trolls and Orks feel comfortable, it'd be the supermarkets.

~J
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Hutchman)
I hear everyone saying "No Way!", but its true.

I was saying "Hear hear!" If you weigh about 7 times as much as a human, you probably should be capable of lifting and hauling a bit more than twice as much as the average human.

BTW, if you're using the HMDYSHW weights, you're actually going by Option 2: Increase Weight To Around 500kg, since the article goes with 491.1kg for average troll weight. I don't completely agree with that, since part of the Body and Strength increase should already be worked into the fact that an average human male that would weigh over 300kg. About 400-450kg might make more sense. But that sort of margin is hardly significant compared to the leap from 225kg to 450-500kg.

I answered Reduce Height To Around 7 Feet, although I'm actually closer to 8 feet -- 230cm or 7' 7".
Cochise
I would have to go with "none of the above" as well:

The "it's canon"-option is quite close, but not as close as I'd like it to be
Same for the "mana"-option.

For me there are two things important with the weight of trolls:

1. There is no qualified material on muscle density or fat / other tissue relations for trolls. So just like e.g. cat-muscles have a much higher strength / volume ratio in comparison to human muscles, the same can be true for a genetically compatible yet significantly different subspecies like the troll (metas are called "races", but within biological taxonomy they could be viewed as either a race or a subspecies) in comparison to the normal human.
Additionally even our real world provides some serious differences when it comes to the weight of animals that reach sizes of about 3m. Male walrusses reach an average weight of about 1200kg at that size. Grizzly bears (that easily reach an erect size of 3m) IIRC come in at about 500kg. Tigers at about 350 kgs.
Now, the usual argument against these examples usually is the general artwork in SR. But take a closer look: There are so many different pictures that trolls sometimes look like a SR-verion of the incredible hulk (and in most cases the then portrayed trolls are nowhere near "average"), while other pictures portay rather slim and compact trolls => there's actually nothing that portrays the average troll

2. Suspension of disbelief. It's a game after all. My main concern is fun. Trolls are legal player characters and they are supposed to provide some fun for the player(s). So just for the sake of that fun, I'm more then willing to disregard ultra-realistic weight-issues or size comparisons (beyond the occasional annoyance of non-fitting chairs and having the group sitting extremely tight in a car for example)
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Cochise)
Male walrusses reach an average weight of about 1200kg at that size. Grizzly bears (that easily reach an erect size of 3m) IIRC come in at about 500kg. Tigers at about 350 kgs.

A walrus is one big, obese torso with a head on top. You simply cannot compare the weights of species which look so totally different. A 2.8-meter-long walrus would weigh an average of maybe 800kg.

A 2.5-meter-tall (standing on two legs) grizzly bear weighs an average of ~380kg. A bear also has a substantially larger torso than a humanoid, but is otherwise very skinny a critter. Take the fur off of one, and it will look almost emaciated, unless it's late autumn. A male polar bear that's 2.8 meters tall on its hind legs will weigh an average of about 500kg -- slightly skinny but a very large torso, which evens out to roughly the same neighborhood as a troll.

A tiger is a slender creature. Take the fur off and make it stand on two legs, and it'll look quite ridiculous indeed. Also, all length figures for them are from nose to the tip of the tail, and the tail is usually well over a meter long, 50cm+ longer than the hind legs. A bengali tiger which would be 2.8 meters tall while standing on two legs would weigh somewhere around 350kg.

So don't use the animal kingdom as an example, as that only supports trolls being heavier.

Your second reason is very sensible, one which I respect, and also firmly in Option 3 territory.
Johnson
It sound like canon in SR3 but I have always played Troll around the 7'9" Ave and about 250kg give or take. If there is SR4 in the pipelines they they should look into the Bio of the different races.
Cochise
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
[... snip ...]So don't use the animal kingdom as an example, as they only support trolls being heavier.

My point there being: While it may "only" support the few that trolls "should" be heavier, there's no exact measurement how much this "should" actually be wink.gif
I deliberately chose animals that do not necessarily have a common built, since the "built" of an average troll already is something everyone just seems to have different views upon (including the artists of SR) ...

Your second reason is very sensible, one which I respect, and also firmly in Option 3 territory.

Depends on POV wink.gif
Botch
I answered Reduce Height To Around 7 Feet, although I'm actually closer to 8 feet -- 230cm or 7' 7".

Sorry AE, that option was meant be expressly for your trolls, although I didn't realise you were that tall. wink.gif

So just for the sake of that fun, I'm more then willing to disregard ultra-realistic weight-issues or size comparisons (beyond the occasional annoyance of non-fitting chairs and having the group sitting extremely tight in a car for example)

The thing is, life for a (canon or not) troll is difficult when you really think about it. The wrong size chair is the least of the problems, what about their beds/toilet? Dwarves seem to have picked up the handyman category, but I think it should really be the trolls. If you were poor and almost everything has to be modified for you, you would definately pick up skills in woodwork, masonry, sewing, etc. After reading reading through 1st Ed, 2nd Ed and most of 3rd Ed, there appears to be only one troll item - Honda Viking bike; this is why I am compiling a troll guide. This poll will be extremely useful for the final compilations, please help with listing your interpretation of how trolls interact with the world.

On the same line as supermarkets above, if a troll weighed 500kgs the portable reinforced toilet seat is a must!
Austere Emancipator
I haven't seen a single skinny troll yet. Quick glance through SR3 will follow:
Cover art: Huge arms, huge torso, small legs, very muscular + fat (looks about 200-210cm tall)
Page 9: Huge torso, normal built (impossible to say how tall)
Page 27: Huge arms, huge torso, very muscular + fat (looks nearly 3m tall)
Page 51: Huge torso, thick legs, lots of clothing but probably rather to very heavy built (no scale, either)
Page 53: Huge arms, huge torso, thick legs, very muscular (looks about 230-250cm tall when standing straight)
Page 67: Huge torso, lots of clothing but probably rather to very heavy built (no scale)
Page 72: Huge arms, huge torso, very muscular (no scale)
Page 73: Huge arms, huge torso, very muscular (no scale)
Page 115: Huge arms, huge torso, very muscular (no scale)
Meeting Mister Johnson ... and friends (non-numbered color-pages): Large torso, very thick legs, heavy built (looks about 210-240cm tall)
A pair of gangers ... (non-numbered color-pages): Huge legs, normal torso, very muscular (looks about 200-220cm tall)
etc.

I'm not seeing a whole lot of different views. They are all quite heavily built, most are massively muscular, most have huge torsos.

Also, strength/volume ratios don't have much to do with what trolls look like. Troll muscle might even be much weaker than human muscle, pound-per-pound, but obviously the prevailing view is that trolls are massive, with thick arms and barrel-like torsos, and flesh density is about constant throughout large mammals.

[Edit]That's most of the full-body troll art that I'm aware of, actually. There's one on the back of MitS which is of the basic "Strong Mad" type, basically square-shaped. Cannon Companion has a few, which are all as massive as the ones in SR3. The Cyclops in SRComp has a massive torso but normal arms. The hairy troll mage is another of the square-shaped ones. The Giant is very skinny, except for the torso. The minotaur is massive, again. SRComp p. 127 is, uhh, big. And so forth.[/Edit]
Birdy
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (Birdy @ Oct 12 2004, 07:46 AM)

Are you kidding? Given how much they'd eat, a single Troll would probably be as good a supermarket customer as an entire small human family. If there'd be anyplace bending over backwards to make sure Trolls and Orks feel comfortable, it'd be the supermarkets.

~J

Orks I agree (at least with the cheap markets like Aldi or Wallmart). SR Orks are a bit smaller than I am (190cm) and pose no problems. They may eat a bit more (not that much) but in general they are just a bit uglier than most of your customers.

Trolls on the other hand would pose major problems to most shops. 270+cm means they need a clear! cyling of at least 300cm. Add in the width of the Troll, it's danger to the stands (Even the SR skinnies at 200+kg can topple one accidently) and the low income of most Tumbies and I don't see them as "well-liked" customers - They can't bring in the money I loose with people who choose to buy somewhere else. And that leaves out the problem that Trolls are seen as "overgrown Forrest Gumps who might trow a violent temper if they don't get their will".

Sorry, "We admit no Trolls" would be a good reason for me to pay more!

Granted, I actually like Humanis.

Birdy (Burn da Elva, burn da Elva)
Cochise
QUOTE (Botch)
The thing is, life for a (canon or not) troll is difficult when you really think about it.  The wrong size chair is the least of the problems, what about their beds/toilet? 

Yes, the life of a canon troll is difficult, I didn't say otherwise. Just because I didn't mention toilets or beds, that doesn't mean that I didn't think of these. But they normally just don't have a larger impact on my games.
There's a big difference between occasional anoyance that suits the fun of all players and the constant fuck up of a particular race in a fictional universe that is supposed to make fun for all palyers and availible player characters. Realism is fine and dandy, but if it hurts my fun, it get's thrown over board ...

Btw. Trolls are around for about 50 years in the SR universe. That's long enough to have at least some adjustments to their presence. I tend to compare it with handicaped people these days: They aren't supported on a general basis /at least not to a satisfying extend), but their lives are far from unbearable / impossible to lead. There are suited toilets for handicaped people in public buildings as well as wheelchair ramps and the like. Private adjustments are just a matter of money. Sure, they aren't everywhere, but we're even trying to implement such features in rather old buildings these days (and these buildings lack the architectural foresight to implement such features, yet it still works to a certain degree). So I don't see any reason to push that issue too far. At least to me it's mor than enough to have them pay those 25% extra (sometimes being far too few while sometimes being far too much) and be done with that at that point ...
Patrick Goodman
I should like to point out that while "How Much Did You Say He Weighed?" keeps trolls at 9'2" (280 cm), nothing else in the game supports that, and I've long held the theory that Tom Dowd pulled that height figure out of his ass without thinking about any of the implications of it.

All of the art shows trolls in excess of 7 feet but generally less than 8. I've long held that the "official" average height of a troll should actually be around 7'9". But I don't work where these decisions are made.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Birdy)
Trolls on the other hand would pose major problems to most shops. 270+cm means they need a clear! cyling of at least 300cm.

Supermarkets generally have ceilings high enough for a Juggernaut in most places. Widen the aisles and you're golden.

~J
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (Birdy)
Orks I agree (at least with the cheap markets like Aldi or Wallmart). SR Orks are a bit smaller than I am (190cm) and pose no problems. They may eat a bit more (not that much) but in general they are just a bit uglier than most of your customers.

Actually, SR orks average around 190 cm and 95 kg (6'3" and 209 lbs); I'd like to make them taller and stouter (I'd like to put them at 200 cm and proportionally weighted), but that's just me. For purposes of reference, I'm 6'3" or 6'4", depending on who you ask, and I weigh 220. I would in no way be confused with an ork in terms of build/physique.
Cochise
I haven't seen a single skinny troll yet. Quick glance through SR3 will follow:
Cover art: Huge arms, huge torso, small legs, very muscular + fat (looks about 200-210cm tall)
Page 9: Huge torso, normal built (impossible to say how tall)
Page 27: Huge arms, huge torso, very muscular + fat (looks nearly 3m tall)
Page 51: Huge torso, thick legs, lots of clothing but probably rather to very heavy built (no scale, either)
Page 53: Huge arms, huge torso, thick legs, very muscular (looks about 230-250cm tall when standing straight)
Page 67: Huge torso, lots of clothing but probably rather to very heavy built (no scale)
Page 72: Huge arms, huge torso, very muscular (no scale)
Page 73: Huge arms, huge torso, very muscular (no scale)
Page 115: Huge arms, huge torso, very muscular (no scale)
Meeting Mister Johnson ... and friends (non-numbered color-pages): Large torso, very thick legs, heavy built (looks about 210-240cm tall)
A pair of gangers ... (non-numbered color-pages): Huge legs, normal torso, very muscular (looks about 200-220cm tall)
etc.

Nice summation wink.gif
Now how many of these trolls would you consider to represent "the average troll"?

I'm not seeing a whole lot of different views. They are all quite heavily built, most are massively muscular, most have huge torsos.

Yet they do not fit the description of an average troll that good, do they?
And ...

Also, strength/volume ratios don't have much to do with what trolls look like. Troll muscle might even be much weaker than human muscle, pound-per-pound, but obviously the prevailing view is that trolls are massive, with thick arms and barrel-like torsos, and flesh density is about constant throughout large mammals.

However such strenght / volume and volume / density issues have a direct impact on the actual weight wink.gif

Just take one kilo of lead and one kilo of feathers ... By volume the feathers are huge in comparison to the lead. Now extend that thought onto trolls vs. humans: We have no material on how dense troll tissue is in comparison to that of a normal human. And that's the main issue I have with calculations like the one in TSS. Of course mass usually increases cubic for three dimensional objects that are increased in all three dimensions at the same ratio. But it's not even sure that that is actually true for trolls => We're already at rather wild guesses when it comes to volume and we still have no data on tissue density ...
Johnson
Well lets put Fanpro's art department to the test, or even some artist and lets have some impressions
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Cochise)
Now how many of these trolls would you consider to represent "the average troll"?

Probably none. However, there is a near-total lack of hugely muscular humans. All the trolls pictured are by far thicker in all directions than the humans portrayed. That tells me that, on average, the trolls are proportionately thicker, more muscular and have larger torsos than humans.

QUOTE (Cochise)
However such strenght / volume and volume / density issues have a direct impact on the actual weight wink.gif

What I was trying to say is that, while density obviously has a direct impact on how much a given volume has mass, the flesh density (unlike the strength per mass ratio) of large mammals is mostly constant -- 1060kg/m^3 for humans, marsupials, cats, birds, elephants, etc. So it's much less plausible that troll flesh is much less dense than human flesh than it is that troll flesh is weaker per unit of mass than human flesh.
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (Hutchman)
Unfortunately, as we have recently discovered, this leaves Trolls grossly under-strength'd for their size. I hear everyone saying "No Way!", but its true. For a being that is 1.7 times the height of a Human and weighing 4.9 times as much, adding a mere +4 to Strength is NOT proportional. But thats another thread... smile.gif

I've always justified that in my head this way: Trolls probably get more than +4 Strength, but most of that bonus is consumed by moving their considerable bulk around. Thus, while their actual bonus to Strength is much higher, their effective bonus only comes out to +4.

It's semantics, basically, but it's always worked for me.
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (Cochise)
Just take one kilo of lead and one kilo of feathers ... By volume the feathers are huge in comparison to the lead. Now extend that thought onto trolls vs. humans: We have no material on how dense troll tissue is in comparison to that of a normal human. And that's the main issue I have with calculations like the one in TSS. Of course mass usually increases cubic for three dimensional objects that are increased in all three dimensions at the same ratio. But it's not even sure that that is actually true for trolls => We're already at rather wild guesses when it comes to volume and we still have no data on tissue density ...

Occam's Razor would therefore suggest that it's likely about the same, which is mostly what I was going on. I mentioned more than once in the article that a lot of it was based on educated guesswork.
Botch
There is a problem with SR artwork being used as a basis for comparative troll heights. Most pictures that feature trolls inconjunction with other meta-humans are portait/bust images, a collection of heads with the positioning dictated by the frame and layout constraints. Only panoramic pictures can be used for height comparison.

Does anybody who has access to all the SR books fancy a stab at continuing AE's excellent work?
Cochise
Probably none.

That's all I wanted to hear wink.gif

However, there is a near-total lack of hugely muscular humans. All the trolls pictured are by far thicker in all directions than the humans portrayed. That tells me that, on average, the trolls are proportionately thicker, more muscular and have larger torsos than humans.

That just tells me that the portrayed trolls do have such features and in most cases the pictures do not provide exact info of the ratio for all three dimensions involved.

What I was trying to say is that, while density obviously has a direct impact on how much a given volume has mass, the flesh density (unlike the strength per mass ratio) of large mammals is mostly constant -- 1060kg/m^3 for humans, marsupials, cats, birds, elephants, etc. So it's much less plausible that troll flesh is much less dense than human flesh than it is that troll flesh is weaker per unit of mass than human flesh.

Less plausible? Yes, from a "realistic" POV
Impossible? No ...

But that brings me back to that "mana"-explaination and

QUOTE (Patrick Goodman)
Occam's Razor would therefore suggest that it's likely about the same, which is mostly what I was going on. I mentioned more than once in the article that a lot of it was based on educated guesswork.

... this educated guesswork with the assumption that density issues are more or less irrelevant according to Occam's Razor:
I do not necesarily dispute the overall results in the linked article from TSS. They are the result of a rather good guesswork from a biological POV. I guess that I would have come to very similar results, if I had done something like this.

However, the existance of trolls (and all other metas) is based on the existance of mana at a certain level. Mana is directly linked to magic and influences genetics on a level that our real world doesn't even know (and from a scientific perspective the given explainations are rather questionable *again: Suspension of Disbelief*).
So as educated as these guesses might be and as less plausible a different density for troll tissue under real world condiction might be, as "unrealistic" they are when dealing with that fictional world of SR. At least IMHO ...
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Cochise)
That just tells me that the portrayed trolls do have such features and in most cases the pictures do not provide exact info of the ratio for all three dimensions involved.

So you would say that, even though all trolls portrayed in SR art found in SR core books are proportionately far more muscular, proportionately far larger torsos, and are simply far heavier built than the elves, humans or even orks portrayed in the same art, that is no indication that most trolls aren't in fact very light built and skinny? Go ahead, it's your game after all. And it's not as if SR art should be considered a great source for game facts.

However, the general point of view to troll build doesn't vary significantly. By far the dominant view of what trolls look like is heavily muscular and very big boned with proportionately much larger torsos. That's all the art examples were supposed to show.

And yep, a significantly differing muscle density value could only be explained by magic (Option 4), or simply stating it and not explaining (Option 3). Feel free to do that in your game, it's all good -- but it still fits into one of the above categories.
ES_Riddle
500kg seems like an awful lot to me. Going off the table on pg 47 of SR3, the average troll is 2.8 m, the average human is 1.7. That means that a troll is about 1.65 times as tall, and from the art I'd say they're roughly about 1.65 times as wide and thick, too, if you compare them to people who are doing similar jobs (mercenary vs. street sam, combat mage vs. street mage (though this one is screwy because the street mage is an elf female), etc). From that I figure that trolls should weigh roughly 4.5 times what a human does (1.65^3) if we assume that they are the same density. Going back to the table that figures up to an average troll weight of around 315 kg. It wouldn't be too bad to assume that they have proportionally larger lungs and bones that are light for their size (though not to the extent of birds). I just think that half a metric ton is too much for a troll.

There are suited toilets for handicaped people in public buildings

Given the ample room of accessible stalls, it would make sense to just reinforce the toilet and call them handicap/troll accessible.
Cochise
So you would say that, even though all trolls portrayed in SR art found in SR core books are proportionately far more muscular, proportionately far larger torsos, and are simply far heavier built than the elves, humans or even orks portrayed  in the same art, that is no indication that most trolls aren't in fact very light built and skinny? Go ahead, it's your game after all. And it's not as if SR art should be considered a great source for game facts.

Going from one extreme to another wink.gif
I didn't say that the average troll is a skinny, light built (in regards to volume) being.
I merely pointed out that the availible sources are not precise enough for really good calculations (like the TSS supplement)

However, the general point of view to troll build doesn't vary significantly. By far the dominant view of what trolls look like is heavily muscular and very big boned with proportionately much larger torsos. That's all the art examples were supposed to show.

Yet none of those artworks provide a look at "the avergae troll" and his proportions. And those proportions would be needed to do the math (already assuming that density really is a "non-issue") ...

And yep, a significantly differing muscle density value could only be explained by magic (Option 4)

Not necessarily, although the likelyhood of significantly different muscle density is rather low, when comparing known tissue densities. But outright denial of such a possibility isn't a scientific approach on that matter either. So trying to be "realistic" without the acceptance of that possibilty actually isn't realistic at all.

or simply stating it and not explaining (Option 3). Feel free to do that in your game, it's all good -- but it still fits into one of the above categories.

And since my personal view lies somewhere inbetween I chose: None of the above wink.gif
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Cochise)
Yet none of those artworks provide a look at "the avergae troll" and his proportions. And those proportions would be needed to do the math (already assuming that density really is a "non-issue") ...

I'm not trying to say there has to be an absolute average that we can calculate with existing knowledge. I'm saying a fork of 400-500kg makes a whole lot more sense than 200-250kg, based on what we do know of trolls in SR.

And if you want to find the averages, compare average human build with the types of human bodies represented in the pictures of human runners and gangers in the books. Then use that difference to find the average troll build from the pictures of troll runners and gangers. The only possible conclusion from that kind of comparison is that trolls are more heavily built than humans, the question is whether they are "somewhat more heavily built" or "far more heavily built".

QUOTE (Cochise)
Not necessarily, although the likelyhood of significantly different muscle density is rather low, when comparing known tissue densities.

In fact, based on what is known about the muscle density of animals (including humans), the chance is rounded to 0. Like I was saying, all mammals and indeed the massive majority of all animals (absolutely every animal that could every be related to a large humanoid) have muscle density within a few percent of 1060kg/m^3.

To say that it's possible that trolls have a muscle density of ~600kg/m^3 is like saying it's possible their brain is located in their buttocks. I mean, yeah, sure it's possible in a game where there are dragons and fireballs flying around, but it doesn't mean it makes any god damn sense at all.

So: Every other large animal, every other mammal, every other vertebrate, has muscle tissue the density of which varies insignificantly from ~1060kg/m^3. There being no hint whatsoever that troll tissue might be significantly lighter than that, it is the most logical conclusion to make that their tissues do weigh the same. Occam's Razor works really well here.

Obviously realism has nothing to do with how much trolls weigh, since there really aren't any. I'm only talking about what's logical.

QUOTE (Cochise)
And since my personal view lies somewhere inbetween I chose: None of the above wink.gif

Okay, that's absolutely fine, no problem with that.
MYST1C
QUOTE (Botch)
Does anybody who has access to all the SR books fancy a stab at continuing AE's excellent work?

I've always held two grudges with the portrayal of metahumans in SR artwork:
1. Trolls are way too short in most pictures.
2. Elves are not skinny enough in most pictures.

Kagetenshi
Why should Elves be skinny?

~J
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Why should Elves be skinny?

Their canon weight makes them damn near anorexic for their canon height.
Sabosect
Guys, compare the pictures of trolls to the pictures of elves. If elves used a real-world figured, they'd be anorhexic and your average house pet could pose a serious danger to them. The artwork doesn't describe them that way. So, that suggests the possibility the real world equation of body density is not longer applicable.

Now, turn to the combat mage picture. His strength? 6. Is he obviously muscled? I can't tell, but I doubt it. Now, turn to the mercenary and sprawl gangers. Both are obviously muscled. Their strengths? 10. Also, each troll is drawn very differently.

Trolls, we know, are going to have a naturally huge build compared to their actual weight. So will elves. That is, of course, if you look at the pictures.
Austere Emancipator
All right, fine, elf art coming up:
Page 9: Dangerously skinny
Page 48: Very skinny
Page 53: Normal athletic human build
Page 68: Light athletic build
Page 70: Light build
Page 74: Light build
Page 101: Light-normal build
Page 155: Normal build (assuming that's an elf and not an ork on the left)
Breaking into Ares...: Normal build
A crazed street samurai...: Muscular, normal build
Meeting Mr Johnson...: Skinny
Rumble in Redmond: Normal build
Page 188: Light build
Page 232: Normal build
Page 249: Normal build
Page 321: Muscular, normal build

Assuming that the average portrayed elf is quite a bit heavier built and more muscular than the average elf, we end up with an image of elves, on average, being having a light build and tending to be skinny.

Yet even if we assume that the average portrayed troll is a lot heavier built and far more muscular than the average troll, we end up with an image of trolls, on average, having a heavy build, having large torsos, and tending to be quite muscular.
Shockwave_IIc
Ok, I brought these two models to prove to one of my players how big trolls are, The Covert ops Elf And the Troll Combat mage. The Elf has basic average Stats (B3 S3), but is physically fit (Atheltics 6). The Troll on the other hand, is what would be if human B1 S2, ie. A small(ish) weak Troll, with no Athletics Skill. Note the size difference.

An Elf is on average what? 6'2"?? The Troll appaers to be about 2' Taller and this is a "small" troll.

Anyway Excuse the wall paper.
Midnight and Lothan
Kagetenshi
Keeping in mind that Lothan's biceps are the size of Midnight's torso…

~J
MYST1C
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Keeping in mind that Lothan's biceps are the size of Midnight's torso…

The comparison shows another problem I have with trolls.
Aside from their height and possible floor-crushing weight - look at their hands!
While the novels sometimes talk of trolls grabbing some equipment lying around I cannot see how it should be possible for a troll to use a human-scale gun or other toys because of his giant fingers.
Yes, there are rules for troll-modified equipment but anything up to an assault rifle will look like a pistol in their hands (and troll-modified pistols must look bizarre).
And even if you enlarge grips, triggerguards, stocks etc to fit a troll - what about the magazines? How does a troll fill the tiny ammo into a pistol clip?

Crisp
I tend to make trolls smaller, around 2.30m (a little over 7.5feet for the metrically challenged), this means the average troll is still pretty tall (40 cm taller than your average ork and over half a meter taller than an average canon human) but not impossibly tall. It still means they'll have trouble fitting in most human-sized spaces (I'm 1.90m and I've banged my head SOOO many times, add another 40 cm and... ouch!-those aren't horns on their heads, it's accumulated scar tissue from banging their heads day in, day out for years on end...)

It also means that their canon weight makes more sense...
Shockwave_IIc
M¥$T1C, If you look at the bottom right of the pic you will see Lothan's "pistol" and your right it's fecking huge!!
Kagetenshi
It's actually an SMG, but it's remarkably larger than Kyushi's assault rifle. So much so that it really ought to be a sawed-off PAC rather than a SMG or AR.

Another sign that the Duels figures, wonderful as they may be, probably aren't to scale.

~J
Shockwave_IIc
Yeah but when you "Troll Modify" something the size of the rounds don't change, thus neither should the innerworkings, they just Space it a bit and bulk it up so that Trolls can use it, "looking stupid" might be the last on the desginers list. But still, When i told my player that that was close to the size of Troll he tried to take on he shat a brick and said you LET me fight it? (The one he fought was the Troll Merc but with Bioware instead of the Muscle replcement)
littlesean
A spirited discussion on the BFTG can be found here where it discusses troll modified pistols. Very enjoyable read, I thought.
crone
SR1 main rulebook has pictures of an average, elf, dwarf, troll etc. The only one I remember is the elf - very skinny, and well defined (but not large) muscles. Maybe someone with the book can check what trolls look like.
Ed Simons
QUOTE (M¥$T1C)
I've always held two grudges with the portrayal of metahumans in SR artwork:
1. Trolls are way too short in most pictures.
2. Elves are not skinny enough in most pictures.

3) Elves are way too short in most pictures. They should be towering over the humans, yet they're shorter.

4) Orks are way too short in most pictures. They supposedly average 8 inches taller than humans, yet they're usually shown as only a couple inches taller. The exceptions show the Orks as the same height as humans or shorter.
Ed Simons
My answer is none of the above. My racial averages are

Humans 1.7 meters, 65 kilos.
Dwarves 1.3 meters, 40 kilos.
Elves 1.8 meters, 67 kilos.
Orks 1.8 meters, 90 kilos.
Trolls 2.4 metes, 250 kilos.

The average male is 5% taller and 15% heavier than the racial average. The average female is 5% shorter and 15% lighter.
Medicineman
A little bit of both Answers 1 & 2
reduce Height to about 8 / 9 Feet (240-260 Centimetres)
and raise Weight to about 280/300 Kilos

with 2 Dances
Medicineman
nezumi
I general, I ignore all weights given in canon. They're all pretty whacked. That's kinda good, since I have no real perception of how much 300lbs is anyway, much less 300kg, so I just wing it, if it even comes up.
Crimsondude 2.0
Trolls? Never seen 'em officer.
Mortax
QUOTE (Medicineman)
A little bit of both Answers 1 & 2
reduce Height to about 8 / 9 Feet (240-260 Centimetres)
and raise Weight to about 280/300 Kilos

I do something similar as well. I have a 1st edition hardcover here, I'll try to find pictures somewhere.

In the description of elves, it says that they are thinner and more frail looking than humans but just as strong.

humans have a +0 reach. Trolles have a plus one, meaning their arms are around a meter longer, given their arms are longer compared to their body, but still.

And yes, I think that you should play the race card every now and again. How many here remember Brackhaven's campain for president in 2057? He ran on a near racist platform, and almost won! This is a big hint that racism is alive and well, unfortunatly.

And I'm sorry, if you are that large, people are intimidated by you. Which means some of them will hate you. Breaking through the floors shouldn't be a problem on a daily basis, but that old warehouse you have to break into.....

Just my thoughts, I could be off. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012