Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [SoA2064] SOTA 64 Sports
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Snow_Fox
Can I point out that it says the Boston Red sox won the 2064 world serries, by default! This is due to fighting between CAS and AZT preventing the American league putting forward a team, but it's a fantasy/sci fi game and Boston still can't win the world serries by winning games!
Synner
one thread for a whole book?

And you post on sports? wink.gif I was expecting to get an earful for the Witchcraft material.
Canid13
Synner, the Witchcraft stuff is cool I think.

What I wanna know is, who won the Urban Brawl league?? The sports section is a little thin on standings.
Synner
QUOTE (Canid13)
Synner, the Witchcraft stuff is cool I think.

Didn't mean to sidetrack, I mention it only because I know Snow has a particular interest... back to Sports.
Canid13
Who won the Urban Brawl penant?!?! Come on, enquiring minds want to know.

Give us the 411!

What's the scoop!

Lay the lowdown on us!

*Wonders if people get the idea yet*

:o)
GlassJaw
Can I point out that it says the Boston Red sox won the 2064 world serries, by default

Well at the rate they're going, they're not going to win it the traditional way.
Lindt
Seriously... yuck the fankees. Oh well, guess we might win eventually. I still want to know if a Cubs / Sox world series will trigger the awakning...
Fortune
Any chance on someday filling in the blanks in the world of sports in the Sixth World? Things like official team lists for all wide-spread sports (especially Hockey! biggrin.gif), and a history of playoff results for the various sports covering at least the last 10 years from present date (especially Hockey wink.gif).

But what I really, truly, desperately, passionately need to know is...

What the hell is the name of the damn Portland (or even Seattle) hockey team?
GlassJaw
especially Hockey

What's this hockey you speak of?
DocMortand
QUOTE (Lindt)
I still want to know if a Cubs / Sox world series will trigger the awakning...

Speaking of the Cubs, do they even exist anymore? I know Wrigley Field became a shelter during the Bug City problem...what happened to the Cubs in the meantime? They get trapped inside (or were they on the road and couldn't get back in? Oh now THAT would be a cursed fate...to be the Montreal Expos for 4 years!)

And yes, a Cubs/Sox WS would definately either be the first sign of the Apocolypse or the Awakening.
JongWK
QUOTE (Snow_Fox)
Can I point out that it says the Boston Red sox won the 2064 world serries, by default! This is due to fighting between CAS and AZT preventing the American league putting forward a team, but it's a fantasy/sci fi game and Boston still can't win the world serries by winning games!

Good to know people noticed that one. nyahnyah.gif

What do you think of the rest of the Sports section?
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (GlassJaw @ Oct 14 2004, 10:21 AM)
especially Hockey

What's this hockey you speak of?

Indeed.

Given the circumstances, I'd be surprised that hockey makes it to 2006, let alone 2064.

Anyway, I am at a loss as to why Seattle has no NHL team, but Phoenix has one (their stadium is also way the hell out in the middle of nowhere... for now) and Florida has three. The Portland team is probably something equally pretentious as the Lords hurling team name. Thye have a AAA baseball team named the Dukes. Can't imagine why they kept the name when the team moved there. Just give them that name. Eff it.

QUOTE (DocMortand)
QUOTE (Lindt @ Oct 14 2004, 10:23 AM)

Speaking of the Cubs, do they even exist anymore? I know Wrigley Field became a shelter during the Bug City problem...what happened to the Cubs in the meantime? They get trapped inside (or were they on the road and couldn't get back in? Oh now THAT would be a cursed fate...to be the Montreal Expos for 4 years!)

And yes, a Cubs/Sox WS would definately either be the first sign of the Apocolypse or the Awakening.

The Dome was probably just erect for the 2055 season, too (given that it took over 70 years to get lights installed in the damn stadium). Shame.

I'm sure they could make due. Look at Washington. Until they finish constructing a $260 million dollar stadium ($440 for the whole project), they just pissed on the DC United MLS team and decided the Expos will play in RFK. So maybe they moved to Soldier Field or out to UIUC.

Anyway, there are lists of teams in Shadowbeat for MLB, NBA and NFL if you're interested.
GlassJaw
Just as an aside, the group I'm in is going to do a run during the Urban Brawl Superbrawl in Seattle. We're hoping the guards at the place we are busting into are distracted by the game. We're waiting until the start of the 2nd quarter. biggrin.gif
Fortune
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
Given the circumstances, I'd be surprised that hockey makes it to 2006, let alone 2064.

Present circumstances aside, canon does mention (somewhere) that the NHL (or equivalent) as still being around in the '50s.

Anyway, I am at a loss as to why Seattle has no NHL team, but Phoenix has one (their stadium is also way the hell out in the middle of nowhere... for now) and Florida has three.

Seattle has almost had a NHL team on a number of occasions, but their close proximity to Vancouver works against them every time (as does Hamilton's to Buffalo and Toronto).

Anyway, there are lists of teams in Shadowbeat for MLB, NBA and NFL if you're interested.

Thanks. I know about those, but I want the hockey teams for a character.

The Portland team is probably something equally pretentious as the Lords hurling team name. Thye have a AAA baseball team named the Dukes. Can't imagine why they kept the name when the team moved there. Just give them that name. Eff it.

It's not really that hard to come up with a name if I have to. I've even thought about Portland Lords (or Princes, or Paladins biggrin.gif), and quite a few others, but I'd rather have an official list of surviving teams.
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Fortune)

QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)

Present circumstances aside, canon does mention (somewhere) that the NHL (or equivalent) as still being around in the '50s.

Yes. But canon also has the Rams in Los Angeles, the Oilers in Houston, and the Kingdome stood into the 2050's. Anyway, it was a joke. One that I also happened to make because I don't care for hockey, but ... Well, it's ruined now.

OTOH, that list needs to be sorely updated. At the rate of franchise movements, the placement of teams isn't a problem. Sooner or later, it would just be a happy coincidence. The number is too low, though. Of course, YMMV.

Anyway, I am at a loss as to why Seattle has no NHL team, but Phoenix has one (their stadium is also way the hell out in the middle of nowhere... for now) and Florida has three.

Seattle has almost had a NHL team on a number of occasions, but their close proximity to Vancouver works against them every time (as does Hamilton's to Buffalo and Toronto).

Hmm. Maybe the next time will work. I mean, assuming Seattle's as good an inveastment for hockey as Washington is for baseball.
Zolhex
Hehe I liked the comment of the soxs winning. this way I know it is more than likely it is safe to bet on the Yanks this year. LOL just kidding but it is funny that they won by default.
Snow_Fox
QUOTE (DocMortand)
QUOTE (Lindt @ Oct 14 2004, 10:23 AM)

No the Cubs didn't make. From the lists in Shadowbeat the Washington Senators and Expos both exist and the NY Mets don't. If there's one team out there that has proven it can survive anything it's the Mets. Anyone remeber the 6th game of the '86 serries?

So even with the fix in with the writers, Boston still can't win by actually winning games? In the awakened world they might finally find a way to break the curse of the Bambino.
Fortune
QUOTE (Snow_Fox)
In the awakened world they might finally find a way to break the curse of the Bambino.

Only if they dig him up and clone him. wink.gif
Fortune
Or create some of those 'jack-the-ripper' style chips based on Babe (or is that babe on base?). smile.gif
Snow_Fox
Knowing the luck Boston has- they'd pay a fortune to clone "Babe" form the 20th century and end up with a pig that herds sheep.
Herald of Verjigorm
If they're lucky, he became an ancestor spirit so all they have to do is bribe a magically active descendant of his (of the proper magical leanings) to begin negotiations to end the curse.
DocMortand
QUOTE (Snow_Fox)
No the Cubs didn't make. From the lists in Shadowbeat the Washington Senators and Expos both exist and the NY Mets don't. If there's one team out there that has proven it can survive anything it's the Mets. Anyone remeber the 6th game of the '86 serries?

Just out of curiousity - where would I find that particular Shadowbeat? I am curious to see how fscked up their view of baseball is...I know in the Wolf and Raven novel they talk about what baseball has become (Seattle Seadogs...heh), but it is still a curiosity to me why the Cubs would have disappeared when they are one of the oldest franchises.

Oh yeah, and to find out who DID survive. smile.gif
mfb
you can probably find a copy of Shadowbeat on e-bay.
RangerJoe
Well, at least SR baseball hasn't been replaced with Blernsball yet.

/BLERN BLERN BLERN BLERN!!
DocMortand
Okay, but is it a single volume, or a magazine? If a mag, what edition (month/year?)
Tal
o.0 Blern?
Zolhex
QUOTE (DocMortand)
Okay, but is it a single volume, or a magazine? If a mag, what edition (month/year?)

Um Shadowbeat was a source book chummer. I do belive 1st edition and numbered 7109.
DocMortand
Oh.

Heh can you tell that I started with 3rd Ed? *bonks head*
Canid13
Now this topic is something which should be put in one of those damn update books we get now. A basic rundown of the rules of various games, such as Combat Biker and Urban Brawl, and some lists of teams etc. It'd be the perfect opportunity to give Seattle the teams it deserves, reincarnate dead teams (pun intended) ans generally update stuff.

So long as the rules make sense without needing to have the previous book, it would actually be worth money.
Snow_Fox
It's first Ed but almost without exception it is applicable to 3rd ed unchanged since it's game rules and media interaction etc.

It's one of my favorite suppliments. The abomination that was in the Raven & Wolf book does not appear. In all other sources, it's normal baseball as played today, with cyber suppliments.
Canid13
Yeah, but the fact that it's first edition means it'll be dead hard to get hold of, if I were so inclined to get the oodles of OOP book to begin with. I tried that with BattleTech and gave up after getting ripped off too many times.
Critias
QUOTE (Canid13)
Now this topic is something which should be put in one of those damn update books we get now. A basic rundown of the rules of various games, such as Combat Biker and Urban Brawl, and some lists of teams etc. It'd be the perfect opportunity to give Seattle the teams it deserves, reincarnate dead teams (pun intended) ans generally update stuff.

So long as the rules make sense without needing to have the previous book, it would actually be worth money.

Do we really need something that'd just basically be a reprint of previous material, though? I mean, to that degree? On something that, really, has virtually no actual bearing on game play?
Canid13
Depending on how you play. If you roleplay things out more, and enjoy the background side of things then perhaps it is worth it. For combat bunny groups who fast forward to combat then probably not.

I'm not suggesting a whole book though. A segment in a SOTA style book, so long as the rules get some airing, would be fine.

Or perhaps it can be included in a "We're gonna stop ignoring the newer players" compilation with maps of seattle, and perhaps some of the other background level stuff from other books. A precis of some of the important bits from the previous editions for example.
Zolhex
Well I have to agree I would pay for updated versions of the older books I have. Just to see what changes may or may not happen as well as having the books be more available to the new players. I'd also like to see reprints of Kage magazine and Shadowland magazine. Seeing as I don't own any Kage.
Kagetenshi
More accurately, Ka•Ge.

~J
Synner
QUOTE (Canid13)
Or perhaps it can be included in a "We're gonna stop ignoring the newer players" compilation with maps of seattle, and perhaps some of the other background level stuff from other books. A precis of some of the important bits from the previous editions for example.

As I've mentioned before plans are in motion to sell currently OOP SR sourcebooks as .pdfs in the near future. Releasing the information therein now would be counter-productive. Furthermore I think you're putting way too much credit into the amount of non-redundant information many of those OOP books contain.
Kagetenshi
Admittedly I've not read SotA:2064, nor yet more than the first chapter of SoE, but I really don't think too much credit for nonredundant info is given. Nonetheless, you're correct that waiting for the PDFs makes more sense for the most part.

~J
Crimsondude 2.0
Aren't there already maps all over the Internet? And as someone who has The Seattle Sourcebook, I can tell you that the maps aren't really that useful except for Downtown.
Artemus
What? No comments on The Road to Amazonia '64?

I thought it was a very good piece.

DocMortand
Actually, I finally got my hands on 2064, and apparently the Cubs do exist now, (apparently brought back to life in 2062 or so along with the Rockies and the Diamondbacks)

Just thought I'd cheer up Cubs fans out there. Heh.
Crimsondude 2.0
Heh. I didn't notice that before. I just find it funny how many teams have stayed put with all the franchise moves. wink.gif Although reading through Shadowbeat, I think someone needed to have reminded them that the NY Giants and Jets play in New Jersey, and moving the Giants to Brooklyn is ridiculous. They're not a basketball team for crying out loud! wink.gif But, this is what the Jets Stadium will probably look like. Meanwhile, I don't see the Cardinals going anywhere. The Bidwells are pretty damn tenacious, and the new stadium is just too damn much for anyone to just abandon, even if the U.S. was falling apart. OTOH, having visited the construction site last month, I can say that the stadium is going to kick so much ass it should be illegal.

And College sports are pretty popular in this country (well, football and basketball), and yet nothing about March Madness?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012