Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Telekini-what-a-lisis?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Blaze
One of my players has come forward with an interesting character concept that unfortunately seems very difficult to pull off rules-wise. He wants to play an adept (with Killing Hands S and Distance Strike), but also wants limited telekinetic ability- viz, to manipulate objects within his Magic Attribute in metres as with the Magic Fingers spell. Now, I'm charging him an extra point of power for Distance Strike so that the attack can be made without a physical cue (so he can just think real hard- I'm giving him a +2TN to do so but removing his opponent's chance to dodge) and letting him Geas the Killing Hands to only work with the Distance Strike, meaning he has 1.5 power points left, enough to buy a couple of points of Magical Power, but if he does so he runs the risk of bursting every other blood vessel every time he tries to cast a spell at any decent force (due to drain). My question- is there another way to replicate a limited telekinetic effect using Adept powers with 1.5 power points?

-JH.
mmu1
QUOTE (Blaze @ Oct 15 2004, 09:46 AM)
One of my players has come forward with an interesting character concept that unfortunately seems very difficult to pull off rules-wise. He wants to play an adept (with Killing Hands S and Distance Strike), but also wants limited telekinetic ability- viz, to manipulate objects  within his Magic Attribute in metres as with the Magic Fingers spell. Now, I'm charging him an extra point of power for Distance Strike so that the attack can be made without a physical cue (so he can just think real hard- I'm giving him a +2TN to do so but removing his opponent's chance to dodge) and letting him Geas the Killing Hands to only work with the Distance Strike, meaning he has 1.5 power points left, enough to buy a couple of points of Magical Power, but if he does so he runs the risk of bursting every other blood vessel every time he tries to cast a spell at any decent force (due to drain). My question- is there another way to replicate a limited telekinetic effect using Adept powers with 1.5 power points?

-JH.

I think letting him attack someone without giving them a chance to dodge is completely out of line for one power point, even with the increased TN... Frankly, I wouldn't let someone do it no matter how much they paid for it.

That character badly needs some revision, not additional powers.
TheScamp
Sounds like he wants a mage that doesn't have to worry about Drain or opposing Spell Defense. I'd tell him to suck and deal.
Blaze
I suppose it should be pointed out that the character is also dual-natured as per the SURGE effect, has no reaction enhancement at all and pretty pathetic physical stats. Also, an astrally perceiving character gets to dodge and (where possible) counter attacks as normal. To be honest I don't rate the not-being-able-to-dodge bit as all that nasty- the combat pool can still be used to resist damage, and as the character's maximum effective combat range is six metres (and her hunters are well aware of this), there's a hell of a lot of room to neutralise whatever threat she poses.

-JH.
Backgammon
My question- is there another way to replicate a limited telekinetic effect using Adept powers with 1.5 power points?

Yes, the not-quite-official Knack power.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012