Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SR MUD/MUSH advice
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Kincaid
I've been in need of a Shadowrun game lately and my work hours have prevented me from joining a table-top game so I'm off to the internet for my fix. Play-by-post doesn't appeal to me too much since it's slow and it always seems like the game breaks down after awhile. How have people's experience been on the various Shadowrun MUDs and MUSHs out there? Specific sites/experiences appreciated. I'm not looking for someplace where gun bunnies shoot up neighborhoods for karma, but I go into this knowing that a certain amount of karma farming can't be avoided. I'm really looking for someplace where roleplaying is enforced as much as possible for a MUD and the world of 206X is well designed, especially the contact/social dimensions of the game.
Wounded Ronin
Man, my only experience with an SR MUD was some bullcrap D&D type thing where you went around assaulting everyone and everything for karma. Furthermore, the character creation rules really limited what you could start with, so I couldn't do my favorite troll physad with Killing Hands D.
Mr. Man
There are three that I am aware of:A friend of mine played an ork rigger on Detroit and seemed to enjoy it quite a bit.

-- Edit --

Thanks to Liquid Obsidian for these:
Liquid_Obsidian
i played on awake 2062 , well , the better SR MUD around with some good roleplayn' lovin' players
Bigity
I have played on all three of the MUSHs, two of them quite extensively. I was an admin on two of them as well.

However, it's been a few years since I did, but, at that time, the games were decent. If you don't really put alot of time into being online all the time RPGing, you will find it difficult to get jobs for your character, which means you won't get karma or money.

Being a decker helps with some of this, as you can hack for paydata on a completely coded matrix (very nice work). You don't even need a judge until you trigger some ice.

Not really sure what's new, but they were working on rigger system code, and some stuff like that.

Seattle, at least, requires a pretty hefty background for characters, which can get irritating, since the approving judges used to proudly display rejection percentages in their +finger information.
Wounded Ronin
I can't remember what that MUD I used to play on was....but it started the PCs in Tacoma and you could go around attacking local gang member mobiles. And there was some mobile named Kristen you could kill, too.

What really annoyed me was that once I went into this nightclub in the MUD that had a heaven/hell theme. And, like, there was some guy there whom you could kill, so I did that, and I took his jacket.

So I ask on the OOC chanel about whether the jacket is good or not, and the admin is like "HOW DARE YOU ASK IC QUESTIONS ON THE OOC CHANNEL!"

And I thought, "Yeah, but IC I'd be able to examine the jacket to see if it's armored or not and I'd be able to figure out how tough the material is. But, in the MUD the jacket just gets a 1 line description. So, it's lame that I can't ask for more information as to its characteristics."

I think after that incident I quite for good.
Grifter
I play on Awake 2062 myself and I think it's a really good mud. Players are usually really helpful with questions, and it's pretty accurate to sr3 rules, and when it's not accurate it's in the process of being fixed. if you ever see me on there say an ooc hi, i usually play on the name Klime
Seizure
I highly suggest Denver, but that could be because i'm an admin there.

Denver.aelfhame.net port 1999

But seriously, browze around, find what's best for you. As a general rule of thumb, the more people you find logged on, the more chance that you're going to have activity when you want it. Some places are more popular than others. Currently Denver is the most popular MUSH, that wasn't always the case.

SR: Germany is having a little revival i believe too.

germany.dnaco.net port 6250 if you want a looksee at that.

Can't really say much on Detroit or Seattle though, don't really go there.
gfen
Oh, Cyberworld ][, where ever did you go..?
Adarael
I'm just shocked and awed that there are people here that know the term MUSH and can reference them.

Mostly because I'm a MUSHer from way the hell back.
stone-rhino
Chalk up another vote for Awake 2062. Population peaks around 40 players, and it's not hard to find people to roleplay with. Pretty newbie friendly, with an active admin staff. Both player and imm-run plots. Plus, they just put in some new decker and deckbuilding code. smile.gif
Adam
Awhile back, one of the SR MUSH admins [I forget which one off-hand] emailed me with the idea of doing a SR MUSH "article" for The Shadowrun Supplemental... unfortunately, his idea amounted to basically an advertisement for their MUSH, which I didn't think was such a cool idea.

I had an alternate idea, which was for an admin/rep from the various MUD/MUSHES/etc to write short [roughly one page articles] that profile the type of game, how it's played, the features that make it different from other games, and contain all the relevant information [web addresses, software required, etc]

I'd be interesting in publishing a compilation of such articles as part of the new style Shadowrun Supplemental; MUSH/MUD admins, if you're interested, sock me an email to tss at dumpshock.com and we'll talk things over.
Voran
Oh my, MUDs MUSHes and MUXes.....the days of college gone by.

Inspired me to look up some old MUSHes I played on as a college student, Crypt, Chivalry. Even found a few old homepages and sadly more than a few outdated/broken links.

Ah Ascheron Kail...vampire, assassin lord, betrayer.....on some levels I miss the days I took that so seriously smile.gif
Aku
does anyone know if theres a "client" program for awaken? i know most mushes/muds run in the simple telenet window, but mine was having issues last night, but i'd still like to give it a try
Lindt
Zmud or Gmud
Adarael
I use SimpleMU. Have for years - it's a keen little thing...

Inspired me to look up some old MUSHes I played on as a college student, Crypt...

Jeez, Crypt. That was a while ago. You know some of the original staff is still doing stuff? One group went and did made a cyberpunk place called Nightscape, and some others made a fantasy place called Aether.
Wutasumi
Chalk up another vote for awakened worlds 2062. I love that MUD.
Austere Emancipator
Awake 2062 is, well, sort of interesting at least. As a new character, you are encouraged to explore and find "autojohnsons", before taking part in Immortal-driven runs or real teamwork. Only if you go around exploring things, you'll run into dozens of wired-to-the-max gangers with shotguns and enraged piasmas and whathaveyou. Good thing DocWagon works there...
Wutasumi
Where the hell did you go? I explored the entire city for the hell of it once, and I didn't run into any shotgunning madmen. A few drunk orcs, but no shotgunning madmen.
Austere Emancipator
BioHyde, SW Seattle, on Gray street between Harbor and Roy, has the rampaging piasmas. I ran into the gangers when I wandered onto the I-90 near Council Island. Luckily the first one tried to charge me with his fists, so I got a nice Defiance T-250 and 4k nuyen for my troubles, before DocWagon came to haul me away.
Austere Emancipator
A new character named "Aust" was just created on Awake2062.net... Eh?
Rayston
Id like to add my comment that Shadowrun Seattle is awesome. I have played there for years, dont currently have time to sink into it.

It definitely is for people who prefer more character interaction and such than random MOB bashing, not that I am dissing MOB Bashing, I play muds occasionally too.

THanx

Rayston
Voran
QUOTE (Adarael)
I use SimpleMU. Have for years - it's a keen little thing...

Inspired me to look up some old MUSHes I played on as a college student, Crypt...

Jeez, Crypt. That was a while ago. You know some of the original staff is still doing stuff? One group went and did made a cyberpunk place called Nightscape, and some others made a fantasy place called Aether.

Heh. Yeah I checked up on some of the old crypt people, sadly alot of broken/outdated homepages. Looks like Nightscape is no more, and Aether, looks like I know a few names from there smile.gif Ah nostalgia smile.gif
Adarael
Yeah, Nightscape's eaten it 2 or 3 times so far. Aether I was okay (I was, and still am, Vayu). Well. Better than okay. Pretty rockin'. But then, you know, the inevitable MUSH collapse sets in, as it does with all things... and you get bored.
stone-rhino
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
Awake 2062 is, well, sort of interesting at least. As a new character, you are encouraged to explore and find "autojohnsons", before taking part in Immortal-driven runs or real teamwork. Only if you go around exploring things, you'll run into dozens of wired-to-the-max gangers with shotguns and enraged piasmas and whathaveyou. Good thing DocWagon works there...

I haven't found any imm-runs or teamwork to require using autojohnsons first. I even had a fresh out of chargen character in an rp event last night. wobble.gif They're mainly something to fill the time between rp sessions, as well as making social connections with other runners for info and becoming familiar with the world. The I-90 past Council Island is pretty tough, but it leads to the Z-rated Redmond and Glow City.
Austere Emancipator
I had another run in with those buggers a while back, because I started a new character (hadn't got more than 5 Karma, used up all my cash on useless crap, had useless skills, stupid cyberware sets, etc etc). I decided I'd never get onto the I-90 even near Council Island without partial heavy armor on and weapon drawn. At full defense (9), B6/I4, 3d6+12 Init, BOD 6, a skill of 6 in a smartlinked Ares Predator, using the ultrawimpy settings, I figured I'd at least get away from the fuckers before I get slaughtered.

I guess it was narrative imperative that I hit "east" a few too many times traveling to Council Island. The ganger killed me with the first shot. However, I'd taken other precautions and bought 2 DocWagon Platinum Modulators at chargen. They saved my life and took the modulator away because I had no money on me yet, after which I just bound another and walked slower to Council Island.

I'm finally starting to get into the system now. The idea of communicating with strangers in a strange place about illegal stuff on a radio still seems pretty darn weird, but soon I think I'll feel confident enough to start socializing with other players for real.

Playing SR with near-canon rules for the first time, everything seems really weird. For example, I was just slaughtering rats and deranged ghouls in a ship (I'd finished 8 milk runs so far, I felt like I needed a time out). I was killing them with pistols, and even with the 15 and 25-round magazine capacities, I wasted 9 kilograms of ammunition on maybe 20 mobs. I pity people who use pistols with less than 8-round magazine capacities.
stone-rhino
Er, talking about illegall stuff on the radio is rather frowned upon, unless you're being real subtle or metaphoric about it. Not to mention it could get the cops on your tail. That stuff is better reserved for face to face meets.

They only changed to floating point weights a few months ago, so a lot of small things still weigh zero or 1kg. SR canon weights tend to be too heavy for weapons in general anyway.
Austere Emancipator
Even if nothing you mention in itself is illegal, anybody other than fellow shadowrunners who are listening might see through the subtleness and metaphors, triangulate your position, and come get you. Still, I can see the need for some method of communicating, because chat channels certainly would break character.

I think either someone should correct the Awake2062 FAQ regarding trainers, or people should stop killing the firearms trainer all the time...
Austere Emancipator
Right... So, I run into an openable manhole. I open it and peer underneath. How about that, an ork willing to train me in the use of heavy weapons! But hey, look, there's tunnels leading everywhere. Let's peer east. OOPS! Now you're hopelessly lost. And now 6 aggroed ghouls on steroids are charging you! Too late, they ripped your face off, you're dead. Haha, DocWagon cannot find your corpse so you lose all your gear!

QUIT, Destroy This Character

Enough of that for now...
Kincaid
Thanks for all the relplies--I'm now wandering around Seattle MUSH as a CovertOps/Face character looking for friends. I was pretty surprised to find that +census reveals an equal population of CovertOps and Sams--go figure. I went through chargen at Awake 2062, but (and I may have missed a menu) it struck me that there was a lot of cyberware missing and whenever I tried to buy Boosted Reflexes I, it gave me III instead.
Austere Emancipator
Yes, most ware and equipment, and I guess Adept Powers and Spells and everything else is missing from chargen in Awake2062. I guess that's to keep the power level of starting characters down and to promote general character types.
Gerhal
To Aust,

This thread was created help people find good places to play Shadowrun online. I think everyone here understands your complaints. Why not give other people the opportunity to speak? All you are doing is flooding the thread and thus the attention span of readers, much like the average troll. So you don't like Awake 2062, okay. You are entitled to that opinion even if I believe your comments are grossly exaggerated, mistaken, and/or disingenuous.

To Everyone,

Awake was originally a Hack and Slash mud with some Shadowrun flavor thrown into the mix. Over the years it has slowly evolved away from that and it is continuing to do so. The Build Team is still rebalancing the thousands of badly built, and horridly over statted mobs left behind. Granted the level of power that is available to players still forces us to make mobiles more leathal than their tabletop counter parts. But the days of mobs with 20 in firearms are over, just as the days of players soloing T-birds while naked are over.

This gradual standardization and canonization applies to mobiles, autoquests, gear, nuyen, karma, player characters, and character generation. It is a direct product of the changes in staff and the playerbase. All readers are invited to log on, and find out for themselves. Even if you don't like what you see, you might want to check in again a month or two later as changes progress.
Austere Emancipator
I hate the fact that rampaging superghouls are all over the sewers, and I hate the fact that several areas are designed to loop and force you to get lost, regardless of backtracking etc. I hate the fact that you can suddenly be attacked by the weirdest monsters while walking in very safe-looking areas.

But there's a whole lot I like about the game. The fact that it doesn't allow you to get at all (or even most) of the options a canon SR3 starting character has is not a bad thing, just different. The autojohnson system is great for getting people to learn the areas.
Adam
Gerhal - interested in writing an article about Awake 2062, like I outlined in my above post?
Gerhal
Sure.
blakkie
QUOTE (Adam)
Gerhal - interested in writing an article about Awake 2062, like I outlined in my above post?

Please include in the article that you should expect to recreate characters a few times due to general bizzareness. For example a list of Adept abilities that don't actually work would be nice.

Frankly i've found it more than a bit fustrating. Part of that is the realtime typing, I'm not really use to that. But another part of it is running around trying to find an autojohnson.

As far as GM engineered runs, I have yet to see any announcement of them. Apparently they are the only way to use one of my 1 PP abilities (Nerve Strike), and it isn't clear to me exactly how that's going to work at all. *shrug*

My first character, was total crap. Custom create mage/shaman is flat out broken because you won't be able to learn any spells till long after you need them. To boot there was some erroneos text during character creation, i ended up unable to talk to any PCs IC. Actually in general i've found that runs are getting me in way over my head long before i'm allowed to train any skills. Unless I re-enter character creation area to up my skills/stats? It looks like i could do that, but not sure that is intended.

Maybe there are other ways to meet with people. I did happen to meet a few people last night. However they were basically sitting around eating and drinking. *shrug*

Overall I find Awake 2062 to have a brutal learning curve. There are many, many undocumented pitfalls that have to do text descriptions not following what is actually coded behind.

I happened down the wrong road and was promptly blown away by a TANK! Thankfully it seems impossible to die? In fact it would seem cheaper to NOT have a Docwagon contract, an least to fully die instead of getting picked up. If you have a Docwagon wristband BONDed and they find the time to pick you up they'll take between 1.5k and 4k out of your account. However if you flat out die you come back at the Docwagon station but without your account emptied, the only downside being that the shadowrun job you had is cancelled.

Frankly having the run cancelled is starting to look like a good thing instead of a downside for the only run I seem to be able to get right now. Not sure if this is a scripted progression where i'm working through a list, and i'm down to the toughest one(s). But the one I'm on now, well the Johnson gave pretty damn meger clues. Actually no real clues at all. So where I 'think' I have to go is a deathtrap for me.

I'm trying not to complain too much here, free is free and all. But overall people starting in this should expect a HIGH level of fustration. Just a little example: Some shops 'closing' at night, while kinda a nice atmosphere thing, is incredibily fustrating. In the end it really just eats my RL time.
Austere Emancipator
I'm pretty much with blakkie. More information about the character generation system and what to do and what not to do as a new character would be essential. I'm currently going with my 6th or 7th character (all the earlier ones were utterly useless) and finally learning some stuff.

You're not dying completely yet because you're a newbie (you don't have 26 Total Karma Earned yet). Until that point, yeah it'd probably be cheaper not to have a (bonded) DocWagon bracelet. Just you wait until you get that 26 TKE, you're going to be thanking whatever divine entities you believe in for that Platinum contract.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012