Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gun ID question
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Nikoli
I realise it's probably not an accurate weapon and more likely a "hollywood gun" but what was the pistol that Martin Lawrence's character Earl in National Security using, I'm referring of course to "Earl jr."

It seemed to be a fully automatic pistol but with a rather large ammo acapcity (given the extended clips he kept feeding it)

Just wondering cause I'd love to see a pistol like that in SR.
FrostyNSO
I havn't seen that movie for a long time but I think is was an HK USP (heavily modified)?
Austere Emancipator
[Edit]Scratch that. From another trailer, it could be a USP. The SIG two-tone finish looks different, and the front end of the slide on the gun in the movie has similar angles as the USP. It almost looked like it had a tac-light on the accessory rail. I have no idea, and I'm not going to bother downloading such a crappy movie for the gun alone. Sorry.[/Edit]
Arethusa
I never saw it, and if all goes well, that's going to stay that way, but if this shot (and it is the best I can find through Google) is what you're looking for, I'm guessing some modified USP. It's a bad angle and low res, though, so that's really a shot in the dark (no pun intended, of course).

[edit]

By the way, care to explain what you were doing watching this thing in the first place?
Austere Emancipator
Yup, that looks like a USP9 or USP40 -- it hasn't got the Custom Sport/Expert/Elite/Match/Tactical sights, and based on what the ammunition looked like I'd say 9x19mm or .40 S&W. Light on the rail. Absolutely nothing special about it apart from the extended magazines.
Nikoli
I have a "thing" for buddy flicks and was getting desparate for Netflix choices.
BitBasher
It was on cable, it was free and it's competition was "The banger sisters" and "home fries".
Raygun
Hmm. The link appears to be dead. Can't see it. IMDb has a pic of him car jacking someone with an S&W 360, though.

If it's a full-auto USP in the movie, it's a prop. They don't exist in reality. I do have a USP machine pistol on my site, though. Totally fictional. The picture is a Tokyo Marui model, from what I've been told.
Nikoli
Thanks Raygun, illegal mod or pipedream was what I was thinking. I just like the idea of cops with fully automatic pistols firing at the bad guys
Wounded Ronin
Ruger Thunderbolt?
Nikoli
too obvious.

Shanshu Freeman
QUOTE (Arethusa)

By the way, care to explain what you were doing watching this thing in the first place?

biggrin.gif

Dumpshock: We hold people accountable.

wobble.gif
Nikoli
Heh
Shanshu Freeman
QUOTE (Nikoli)
Heh

<3
FlakJacket
Since we already seem to have a mystery gun thread going, I'll just post this here. Don't suppose anyone could identify what gun - picture one, picture two - this is? Not the best shots I know but it's the best I could get. Thanks.
Wounded Ronin
It just looks like some kind of magnum revolver.
Arethusa
That's a Smith & Wesson L-frame of some sort. Beyond that, the damned things all tend to look alike and there are a metric fuckload of variations, so good luck finding the exact model.

[edit]

Ronin, what do you mean by "magnum revolver?"
FlakJacket
L-Frame you say?

It was the trigger area that was getting me- rather than being completely smooth it has that bit that dips down on the top. From the pictures I was able to find I couldn't see anything that matched.
Arethusa
If you go here, I think you'll see the resemblence in the bottom two. Have fun tracking down the exact gun, though; the S&W site seems to have been built around its own special brand of customer appreciation.
FlakJacket
It was more for a character concept rather than a burning desire to find out the exact make. I figure I'll just call it Heavy Pistol, .357 caliber, six rounds and a five or six for Concealability.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Arethusa)
That's a Smith & Wesson L-frame of some sort. Beyond that, the damned things all tend to look alike and there are a metric fuckload of variations, so good luck finding the exact model.

[edit]

Ronin, what do you mean by "magnum revolver?"

What I meant was that it looks a lot like S&W revolvers that fired magnum rounds that I've seen before. It looks like something specific that I've seen before.
Raygun
That revolver is a Colt for sure, but it looks to me like an Anaconda (.44 Magnum). The cyclinder and frame behind it seem very long. But maybe I'm just imagining things. It could be a Python (.357 Mag). Either way, it looks like a custom 3" barrel, as the lug under the barrel is cut at an angle, which has never been standard AFAIK.

The major distinguishing feature from the S&W revolvers is the hump in the frame under the trigger pivot pin (right above his finger in the pictures provided). The S&W's trigger guard is more rounded.
Arethusa
You're right. My mistake; it generally looks a lot like the S&W's I linked to, but that frame cut around the trigger is really distinguishing if you know to look for it. Has to be completely custom, I guess.
Raygun
It's a Colt King Cobra in .357 Mag. The angle-cut barrel lug and the solid rib are the giveaways. Duh. The barrel definitely seems longer than 2" and shorter than 4", and I don't know if they ever made a 3" barrel for it so that could still be custom. It's still got the standard Pachmayr grip, though.
Raygun
So I finally saw National Security on cable recently (thanks for making me sit through that one!). The gun in question is definitely a Glock with a stainless slide (Caspian makes them; Will Smith had a couple in Bad Boys 2). But there's something odd about it: it didn't have the Glock 18 selector switch on the left side of the slide, nor did it have the FSSG selector protruding out of the rear of the slide. So either it was a model, or a gun modified to fire full-auto only.

Now that that's out of the way, I've got one for all of you. I was watching The Transporter last night, and there's a scene where he's doing a get-away gig for a bunch of bank robbers (or something), but when they jump in the car he hesitates, telling the lead robber guy that what they want him to transport wasn't part of the deal. The lead robber guy sticks a pistol in his face, and I'm kind of stumped as to what pistol it is. It looked an awful lot like a SIG-Sauer P220, but it had a thumb safety (ambidextrous IIRC), which the P220 does not have. I've looked around for copies of the P220, (Astra, Zastava, etc...) but have yet to find out exactly what kind of pistol it is. The only thing I can think of that looks close is the Daewoo DP51, but I don't think that's it.

Any other ideas? Might be a good idea to keep in mind that the movie was filmed in France. I think I might rent it (never have seen it all the way through anyway) and get some image caps of the gun.
Nikoli
I love that scene.
And it was the extra guy he was concerned about, everything else was accounted for.

remember, he had to know the weight to the Kg of the total passenger and cargo, and given the Woo like driving scenes, i can understand why.
Arethusa
QUOTE (Raygun)
So I finally saw National Security on cable recently (thanks for making me sit through that one!). The gun in question is definitely a Glock with a stainless slide (Caspian makes them; Will Smith had a couple in Bad Boys 2). But there's something odd about it: it didn't have the Glock 18 selector switch on the left side of the slide, nor did it have the FSSG selector protruding out of the rear of the slide. So either it was a model, or a gun modified to fire full-auto only.

Now that that's out of the way, I've got one for all of you. I was watching The Transporter last night, and there's a scene where he's doing a get-away gig for a bunch of bank robbers (or something), but when they jump in the car he hesitates, telling the lead robber guy that what they want him to transport wasn't part of the deal. The lead robber guy sticks a pistol in his face, and I'm kind of stumped as to what pistol it is. It looked an awful lot like a SIG-Sauer P220, but it had a thumb safety (ambidextrous IIRC), which the P220 does not have. I've looked around for copies of the P220, (Astra, Zastava, etc...) but have yet to find out exactly what kind of pistol it is. The only thing I can think of that looks close is the Daewoo DP51, but I don't think that's it.

Any other ideas? Might be a good idea to keep in mind that the movie was filmed in France. I think I might rent it (never have seen it all the way through anyway) and get some image caps of the gun.

Been a long time since I've seen it, and if things go well, it'll get nothing but longer though I'll admit it was one of the best feel good comedies I'd seen in a while. Anyway, at the time, I remember immediately thinking it was a Jericho 941. I'm not sure I stand by that now, and I don't have any screen caps to look at, but worth throwing out there.
Raygun
Definitely not a Jericho. One hundred percent certain of that.
Raygun
Well, I rented it. Got some screen caps but because FTP is still down, I can't upload them to my site so you guys can see them.

Anyway, I figured it out. There's a shot where you can clearly see "MOD. P.C.9" stamped into the gun's dust cover. Turns out to be a pretty obscure pistol (at least around here) made in Italy by Pardini for IPSC competition. Up until this point a company I'd never heard of. Here's another pic at securityarms.com. Now that I get a look at it without someone's hand wrapped around it, it doesn't look much like a P220, except kind of in the trigger guard area.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012