Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [SoA2064] Berserker Adepts
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
blinkin
Berserker Adepts in SOTA: 2064 do not get any magic without being berserk. Any ideas on any benifits they should get? Or should they get any advantages?
Kanada Ten
Sounds like all their powers are geas'ed to the state of berserk. So I guess a straight reduction to the power point cost of all powers by 25% and maybe some kind of pain resistance built into a berserk flaw/edge (flaw if it is attack the closest living thing, edge if it is attack the closest enemy with the most effective weapon).
Herald of Verjigorm
Let them take a power equivalent to an adrenal pump (including PP cost ~= bio index), and make all other powers geased on that one being active.
Synner
We actually had a straight-forward solution similar to the gaesa situation Kanada's proposed, but we opted to leave it out and allow GMs to interpret that concept in whatever way best suits their campaigns. The gaesa option with a 1 or 2 pt. Berserker flaw (possibly using berserk rules in various Totem descriptions) also seems appropriate.
Siege
I would think they don't get any additional benefits of being a "Berserker" - you take the geas, you have to make Willpower 4 rolls to voluntarily enter a Berserker rage.

That's a mighty hefty lock on someone's magic, but if it fits the character, go for it.

I'd suggest letting the adept pick which powers to geas so as not to be as crippling - "Oh no, the adept is losing it again! Relax, it's just the beer."

-Siege
Nomad
But do they turn green and increase in bulk?
Joker9125
Id allow it grinbig.gif
audun
QUOTE (Nomad)
But do they turn green and increase in bulk?

Yes, they do! Except that in Celtic tradition they usually turn blue and in Nordic tradition they take on the form of a wolf or a bear. Increase in bulk = Attribute boost. So feel free to do an American tradition berserker biggrin.gif
RangerJoe
So feel free to do an American tradition berserker

Geas: Speech--must state clearly, "You won't like me when I'm angry."
Siege
A Bear physical adept might have two different geas going, depending on the power and relative state:

Geas: Physical Mask (ya start to look like a bear)
Geas: Berserk (Only functions while "berserk")

And if ya wanna be a goofball: -2 flaw: Berserk (Willpower 4 or better to resist going nuts)

The Bear adept might buy "empathic healing" with the Physical Mask Geas - as it is a Bear bonus.

Berserk Bear would probably be along the lines of: Pain Resistance, Killing Hands, Increased Reflexes and so on. Just for fun, he might even double-Geas these powers - although most GMs will probably nix the idea after they stop laughing.

-Siege
Synner
Actually that's one possibility we discussed which is why the Shamanic Adept's shamanic mask effect wasn't spelled out in the rules. GMs might prefer to handle it as part of a gaesa, as a standard shamanic mask or as something that only crops up when the adept uses a lot of his powers at once.
Siege
That was part of my problem with the "hands off" approach to the Ways.

At least provide a section of "Option 1" and "Option 2" rather than having players attempt to reverse engineer possible solutions - not every player or gm is as free-form as that.

Players buy rule books for a reason.

-Siege

Ol' Scratch
I was about to comment on the same thing, but since I don't have a copy of SOTA:2064 yet, I refrained. But since this does seem to be the case... it kind of concerns me. What's the point in buying a rulebook if you leave everything up to the GMs to decide?
mfb
i'm not sure SOTA:64 leaves "everything" up to the GMs to decide. SOTA:64 does provide basic, optional rules on how to run Ways--the rule being, if you don't have one, your powers are more expensive. i'm not even going to use that rule, in my games; i think adepts are limited as they are, and limiting them more makes them even harder to play.
Siege
Sota 2064 isn't completely freeform - there are a fair number of hard-and-fast rules and numbers behind the fluff, but a good portion of the book is fluff.

Entertaining fluff, to be sure, but fluff nonetheless.

If you play adepts, it's a "gotta have" book - if you don't play adepts, it's highly optional. I'll refrain from enumerating all the neat things to be found in it's pages and the adept section will, if nothing else, give some of the more creative players ideas for comparable cyberware.

The Ways and a couple of other places are spots where I would have included more numbers to give readers a frame of reference for creating, extrapolating or outright mutilating the possibilities. That said, thumb through the book and make your own decision - the balance may be so skewed you don't care for the material or you might find it a good blend of both.

And on a side note, the role-playing hooks in back are fun, even if you never use them in any of your games.

-Siege

Edited
Ol' Scratch
I've just seen that comment mentioned twice in this thread, so it didn't inspire much confidence. But again, I don't have the book yet (had to put the game to the side for a few months due to the real world), but I should have it in a couple of days. Hope it's not as bad as it's been sounding. smile.gif
Siege
It's not Bad as in, "oh goddess, why did I waste my money and life buying this pile of snail droppings wrapped in hobbit snot?" kind of bad.

In fact, I found the book to be quite enjoyable -> although to be fair, I am a player of adepts.

I found the fluff to be enjoyable and diverting, but since this is a feedback thread, I and othe readers were trying to give a semi-critical review of our impressions of the book and how it could have been better (in our humble opinions).

And since you and I have ended up on opposing sides of discussions in the past, you may not agree with all my observations. grinbig.gif

-Siege
mfb
well, fluff is important. SR isn't just a game system, it's a game world.
Siege
Sure - to a point.

But I disagree that a 3/4 fluff, 1/4 mechanics is a good balance.

-Siege
Critias
It's also worth pointing out there is a fairly in depth (16 page or so, I think) thread all about SOTA 64.
Synner
The issue of Ways was addressed in the other thread. I explained there that it was decided that GMs and players shouldn't be forced to enforce one specific set of rules for the Ways when the concept itself allowed for so much leeway (as compared with magical traditions for instance). This leeway also ruled out simply introducing lists of powers "associated" with each way (ie. one of the shadowtalkers makes a pretty good example of how a Artist adept might use Smashing Blow or Killing Hands as a creative tool).

We also ruled out the option of leaving it entirely up to GM fiat whether powers fitted (or not) with a given character's interpretation of a Way, thereby excluding the player.

In fact most of us believed that Ways are integral to the character concept and that defining and integrating a Way in play should be simply a natural aspect of roleplaying an adept and a challenge for the GM. In fact we enourage GMs to play up the ramifications of a character's choice of Way in the game itself beyond simply adding mechanics.

For those that would, inevitably, want more teeth to the concept an alternative was actually included in the text as an Optional Rule, which provides a mixed solution where the player defines the adept's individual approach to his Way at creation, the GM then discusses with the player whether or not a given power is appropriate to that character. If the player can't present a good reasoning (such as an Artist using Smashing Blow to sculpt rock with his bare hands) for the character developing that power through the his Way, the GM can allow it at a slightly increased power point cost because it is beyond the focus of the character's training. The rule also applies to power development in play or when a character strays from his way (ie. an Invisible Way adept always using his powers to fight in the open) or characters who never chose a formal Way (the "Lost").

Regarding the fluff to rules ratio, I would point out that many people think SR already has a heavy rule set and that if you look closer at the fluff in the Spy, Adept, Cop and EuroMagic chapters you'll find plenty of hooks and links to ongoing subplots as well as fluff to frame the rules.
Siege
As I noted, individual results may vary.

While I agree some books are massively rule-prone, swinging to the other side isn't necessarily a good thing either.

-Siege
Canid13
I agre with Siege here. I think SR is a little rules bulky, not heavy since it's more padding than anything else (and proper indexes would help).

But it's still nice to see something in a book, and then be told how it is done, or even how it could be done. I don't get a lot of time with my players, so the less time I have to spend reading rules the better, but I'd much rather read rules which are hard and fast (ish) than to have to read the whole chapter and decide how I interpret a whole bunch of stuff.

Then god help the player (and PC) if I lose my notes or change my mind..... that's happened and gets sticky.
Wireknight
I one major problem with the idea of a rules-benefitted "berserker" adept. The "must be berserk" geas is not limiting enough. If it takes a Willpower(4) test to go berserk, and is a free action(it's not stated anywhere what type of action it is, and I would call it a free action before I'd call it a simple action), what's to stop an adept with high Willpower from almost always fulfilling the condition for their geas?

Geasa should ensure that a character's adept powers are not functioning at least half of the time. When we get into the fact(it's stated in SOTA:2064) that initiated adept berserkers reduce the TN# on the Willpower test by their initiate grade, it becomes even less acceptable. A berserker adept with a few grades of initiation under their belt will be able to go berserk except in the event of a critical failure of their Willpower test.

However, ignoring this for a moment, if I, personally, were to make a berserker adept, I wouldn't give them a weird non-canon "magical adrenal pump". There's no reason to. The effects of an adrenal pump can be simulated, in all the ways that a berserker might need, with simple application of Attribute Boost. Here's a 6-point(with geasa) loadout I've used in the past for a NPC adept working for Winternight:

Adept Powers(Universally Geased: Berserk): Pain Resistance(Rating 6), Improved Reflexes(Rating 2), Strength Boost(Rating 8).

While they might pass out or be seriously fatigued after activating their powers(as they should be), during the period of time that they are berserk(and they always activate Strength Boost when this occurs) they are very dangerous with their weapon of choice(this one, a toxic idol worshipper of Thor, used a warhammer weapon focus and a pair of shock gloves). 16M, or 13M Stun + 8S Stun(Shock), is nothing to sneeze at.
audun
I'm not sure what it says in the book (still waiting for my author copies), but the target number is supposed to be 6, and you have to be an initate to even make this test.

Still, the limiting aspect is that you have gone berserk, "attacking the closest living thing, friend or foe, using the most powerful weapon available" (BBB, p 163). Half the time you attack your friends rather than your friends. Uninitated adepts have to be wounded to go berserk, or take so much drugs or booze that they enter a combat frenzy automatically. Though when rereading the rules for berserkers they are bit vague on this.

As a sidenote I never intended the shamanic mask to be a geas. Actually I can't see how it can be as isn't limiting the adept in any way. Shamanic masks on berserkers acts like it does on shamans (BBB. p 163), except for cultural variants where they turn blue or green spin.gif
Siege
The drawback to being Berserk?

You'd better hope you run out of Berserk before you run out of enemies - your teammates are gonna be really cranky if they have to subdue you every time a fight ends.

And you don't have the option of withdrawing from combat until/unless you lose the Berserk state which, whoops, there go your linked powers.

I think it's a pretty hefty price to hang on one's powers because the chance for something to go very wrong very quickly is very real. (As spoken by any first level party adventuring with a barbarian grinbig.gif )

-Siege
Siege
As for the Shamanic Mask - it defeats the whole "subtle" aspect of the adept.

While it won't be limiting all the time, there is no mistaking the adept for being magical when (s)he starts doing something that invokes the Mask. And let's face it, there are sometimes when you don't want to draw attention to yourself.

And it might get you shot by the enemy thinking you're a shaman and not a lowly adept.

-Siege

Edit: And Adun kinda makes my point for me - there aren't any numbers on how the Berserk geas would/could/should work. So if I wanted to make a Berserker, I'd have to write up a proposal, submit it to my gm and see if he agrees with my reasoning as to how or why this would work.
audun
QUOTE (Siege)
Edit: And Adun kinda makes my point for me - there aren't any numbers on how the Berserk geas would/could/should work.  So if I wanted to make a Berserker, I'd have to write up a proposal, submit it to my gm and see if he agrees with my reasoning as to how or why this would work.

It is indeed some numbers, it is just that it is difficult to get that you have to look at p. 163 BBB under Bear shaman to discover the rules for going berserk.

As for shamanic mask, I can understand your reasoning, but geasa are meant to be a condition for doing magic. Shamanic mask is a side-effect of doing magic, so I can't see how it can also be the condition. I never intended it to be a geas, but it's your game.
Siege
Are we using the Bear or Shark berserker rules?

-Siege
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Wireknight)
Geasa should ensure that a character's adept powers are not functioning at least half of the time.

Uhm, no.

That's the general recommendation for some geasa like the Time geasa. There are plenty of geasa that are rarely rendered unavailable. Talisman, Domain, Gesture, Incantation, and Shamanic geasa are all pretty much always available except in specific situations.

Cripes, I hate how people view geasa around here.
Crimsondude 2.0
Yeah, you'd almost think they were supposed to be some kind of hindrance.
Ol' Scratch
In certain situations, they are. Your ignorance to the actual rules and preference to grossly overrate their limitation notwithstanding.

EDIT: What's next? Shotguns should only be usable 50% of the time because they have a limitation to shotgun ammunition? Or spells with the fetish limitation should be useless half the time because of said limitation? How about shamans? Should they be rendered useless 50% of the time because they're limited to nature spirits? The word "limitation" does not mean "constant thorn in your side that renders you powerless half the time."
Req
QUOTE ("Magic In The Shadows @ p. 32")
If the geas is a condition that must (or must not) exist in order to do magic - the presence or absence of sunlight, moonlight, a season, a physical state, and so on - the condition must be consistent with the type of magic performed.  Such conditions should generally break the geas about half the time (such as only working by day or by night).

I agree with Dr Funk somewhat; not all geasa are 50% limitations, obviously, and I don't think they necessarily should be. But you've taken the geas to offset some sort of limitation, and in return you should be somewhat limited. Not every session, not every other day - but sometime. A geas shouldn't be something to be taken and forgotten about.
Ol' Scratch
Never said otherwise. I only objected to the comment that they should all limit a character half the time -- that's completely bogus save for a few geasa.

A berserker geas *is* the situation that causes the limitation itself. If you don't give a rat's ass about your fellow runners, innocent bystandards, or anyone else, feel free to rage out to your heart's content.
audun
QUOTE (Siege)
Are we using the Bear or Shark berserker rules?

It says Bear doesn't it.
Wireknight
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
What's next? Shotguns should only be usable 50% of the time because they have a limitation to shotgun ammunition? Or spells with the fetish limitation should be useless half the time because of said limitation? How about shamans? Should they be rendered useless 50% of the time because they're limited to nature spirits? The word "limitation" does not mean "constant thorn in your side that renders you powerless half the time."

You're an idiot.
Kanada Ten
Wireknight
You're an idiot.

And you're in violation of the ToS. And what a helpful contribution to the discussion at hand... Oh wait, no it's not. Thank you, have a nice day.
Req
Never said otherwise. I only objected to the comment that they should all limit a character half the time -- that's completely bogus save for a few geasa.

A berserker geas *is* the situation that causes the limitation itself. If you don't give a rat's ass about your fellow runners, innocent bystandards, or anyone else, feel free to rage out to your heart's content.

Seems to me that the conditions which limit you 50% of the time are the ones that you can't do anything about; the corollary being that no-one else can do anything about them either. Unless you're messing with someone who can, for example, put out the sun, in which case it really don't matter if your geas is active or not in terms of whether you get your ass handed to you.

The others aren't at 50% because you (and by extension, anyone else who's knowledgable and motivated) can cause them to be fulfilled or broken, and that leaves it to the GM.

edit: this is probably all pretty obvious, but at least it's on topic. biggrin.gif
Critias

Actually, Doc, they should limit a character well over half of the time. They should limit a character, in fact, all of the time. That's what a Geasa is. It's a limit on their power, or on how they access it, or on when, or where. The very definition of it, in Shadowrun, is "a restriction a magicial accepts as a way of holding on to a Magic Point...."

It's just that "limit" doesn't mean "nullify." A character with a Geas should always be limited -- that doesn't always mean being outright useless, however, or wholly incapable of working magic. It just means limited. I think you're reading a lot into the word "limited," Doc, and then blowing your top a little bit.

The way Shotguns can't have a handful of 9mm shoved into them and still be expected to work right, but remain terribly dangerous weapons. The way spells with a fetish limitation can't be done without the fetish, but can still fry your ass just fine. The way a shaman can't summon a Fire elemental, but is still a terrifically powerful character choice.

All of your examples are perfectly valid (in the way you didn't mean for them to be), Funk. I think you're exagerating a bit, or at least you think everyone else is.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Critias)
All of your examples are perfectly valid (in the way you didn't mean for them to be), Funk.

Except that's exactly the way I meant them to be.

I think you're exagerating a bit, or at least you think everyone else is.

Try reading what I was replying to, and what others were agreeing with. I'll copy and even emphasis it for you.

QUOTE (Wireknight)
Geasa should ensure that a character's adept powers are not functioning at least half of the time.
toturi
I agree with Funk. While there are a lot of "should"s and "must"s in the chapter in MitS detailing geasa, there is no absolute limitation to "at least half the time". To take an absolute rules point of view, this limitation is not even limiting in certain circumstances.

For example, consider that there are 24 hours in the day, a geas that states the the magician needs to be in combat to use his magic is way more limiting than the 50% needed since combat doesn't last for more than a few combat rounds!
Siege
A couple of notes:

A "combat frenzy" geas, if we use the Bear shaman rules presents a couple of problems:

1. An adept must suffer "physical" damage - this does not specify an actual Light or greater wound or if cosmetic damage is sufficient. Cosmetic being descriptive rather than mechanical - "I get slapped across the face and suffer one helluva paper cut, do I make my Berserk roll now?"

2. A Bear's berserk lasts for three turns - that's a really, really short time to have an adept's magic to actually work. After the three turns, the adept has to be wounded again to get the nifties. And if we're using the "real damage" rule from above, that's gonna add up pretty quickly.

According to the note, Initiated Berserker adepts can Frenzy at will with a (Willpower - Init Grade) versus TN 6. I'd suggest allowing berserkers to frenzy at will with a TN 6 Willpower check. They won't be as good as Initiated adepts, but it'll save wear-and-tear on the adept in question.

-Siege
JongWK
This thread should be in Sota64's folder, I think.
audun
QUOTE (Siege)
A couple of notes:

A "combat frenzy" geas, if we use the Bear shaman rules presents a couple of problems:

1.  An adept must suffer "physical" damage - this does not specify an actual Light or greater wound or if cosmetic damage is sufficient.  Cosmetic being descriptive rather than mechanical - "I get slapped across the face and suffer one helluva paper cut, do I make my Berserk roll now?"

2.  A Bear's berserk lasts for three turns - that's a really, really short time to have an adept's magic to actually work.  After the three turns, the adept has to be wounded again to get the nifties.  And if we're using the "real damage" rule from above, that's gonna add up pretty quickly.

You're right about these problems. Assume the following:
1. If physically hurt (not necessarily wounded) make a berserk test. Cosmetic damage should be sufficent if it hurts. Though, you should make a difference between non-combat and combat-like situations. If someone slaps you in the face make a test, but if you suffer a paper cut you don't.

2. If hurt during the 3 rounds (quite likely) extend the period by 3 rounds from the round in question. Actually you should be making a new check, but since you're already in combat frenzy assume that you would fail the test anyhow. Though the rule about the victim beeing incapacitiated still apply.

Feel free to apply modifiers from drugs and alcohol to the willpower test. Berserkers normally don't go berserk unless they're fighting. They may be provoked and start a fight, but they don't go berserk untill they are hurt. Berserker rage is a magically enhanced state, not a simple adrenalin rush.

Indeed Berserker adepts make lousy shadowrunners. They're good in battle, but lousy at subtlety and other shadowrunners virtues. In gang fights and pirate attacks they work well though. They storm head first into a fight and kill what's in their way.
According to the note, Initiated Berserker adepts can Frenzy at will with a (Willpower - Init Grade) versus TN 6.  I'd suggest allowing berserkers to frenzy at will with a TN 6 Willpower check.  They won't be as good as Initiated adepts, but it'll save wear-and-tear on the adept in question.

Actually that's Willpower (6- Init grade), but following the guidelines above I'd say no.
Siege
Perpetual berserks? Chained berserks? Oooooooh.

Since I gather you're the one who wrote the rule, I gather you know you're already correct about the "TN 6 - Init Grade".

Without referencing the book again, it was my impression only Initiated Berskers could opt to use the "6 -grade" ruling. All non-inits must be injured and fail a Willpower check to go berserk which struck me as a tad crippling, above and beyond the idea of a geas.

-Siege
audun
You're correct that only inititated berserkers may go berserk at will. IMHO the rule is balanced, but it might have something to do with the way I play (in forge terminology I'm a narrativist). Maybe it's too crippling in your game, but it is difficult for me to predict what is crippling in other people's games. Also as a newbie freelancer I found it better to build on established rules rather than designing a whole new set of rules for berserker adepts (it is also a very minor part of the game and this isn't RIFTS).
I hope you liked the rest of the chapter even if you find the berserker geasa too crippling.
Siege
"Oh frag, the adept is foaming! Quick, someone dose him!"

Adept: "No, wait...it's only bee....zzzzzzzzz...."

Great argument for remote controlled autoinjectors with tranq drugs. grinbig.gif

As a rule I did enjoy it, but I wasn't particularly happy with the general layout - if you'd like specifics, I can provide a more detailed analysis regarding my opinion on the subject.

And do keep in mind, it is only my opinion.

-Siege
Fortune
I'd like specifics. wink.gif
Siege
Ok - the header in each section is the same font and approximate size as the sub-sections before it, which makes it annoying to skim the book for specific topics.

Example:
Page 104 - 105

We have "Traditiona Witchcraft" by Willow (cute), followed by "Peculiarities of the Craft" and "Street Witches". Those are all sub-sections of "Witchcraft Reloaded".

But since the intro to the following section "Druids" looks exactly like the previous section and sub-sections, it gives the feeling of disjointed topics flowing together.

"A Question of Paradigm" - by Nicholas Flamel?

Now - the format is almost identical to the police section, but I don't get the same feeling of jumbled disjointed-ness.

The Adept Ways
I have a similar observation about this section - it all flows together to my eye(s) and I have to focus on the specific sentences to read the material.

-Siege

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012