Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Elves and aging
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Axe
Elves live for a super long time right? So at what age do they reach adulthood? Same for orks (well the other way around though).
Moon-Hawk
I believe that elves reach physical maturity at approximately the same age as humans, but at age 25 or so their aging just stalls out for a few hundred years. Orks, on the other hand, develop somewhat more quickly and are physically adults in their mid-teens. UCAS law makes no special exception for this, however, and so they still have to wait until they're approaching middle age to legally buy alcohol.
Adarael
Allow me to reiterate what I always say when this thread comes up.

Elves live as long as you want them to, as GM. There is no official ruling on their 'maximum age'. Several studies have said they will live for extremely long times, and several other studies have said that this is untrue, and the first studies were tainted by Tir political interests.

In short - you, as the GM, decide if they live a long time or not.
Axe
Hahaha poor orks. I was wondering about the elves cause in D&D they reach maturity at like 90, so all the elves in SR would still be little kids sarcastic.gif
Nikoli
There are other issues for the orks, besides buying alchohol when they are reaching the mid-life crisis. They must be "older" to drive, vote (when possessing a SIN), and many other age related privaledges.

Personally, i think the various government bodies should allow for changes in the law based on meta type. for humans, driving age variances from 15 to 21 in some place mean relatively little, but that's a huge amount of life-time for an orc.
Axe
hmmmm... what is the legal age for UCAS, did they inherit the Canadian laws (19 in some places 18 in others, like here biggrin.gif ) or the US laws (21)?
HMHVV Hunter
QUOTE (Axe)
hmmmm... what is the legal age for UCAS, did they inherit the Canadian laws (19 in some places 18 in others, like here biggrin.gif ) or the US laws (21)?

According to the Sprawl Survival Guide, 21 is still the legal drinking age.
RangerJoe
According to ED, elves reach physical maturity at a comparable age to humans. Then again, I suppose mana levels were different. (Just discovered a "limitted edition" ED book in the stash from Propwash. Of course, the # ________ out of 1000 field has been left empty, and the blinkin' thing is unbound, but aside from that, it's a very servicable book, and binding-wise no worse than my BBB)
Ed Simons
QUOTE (Axe)
Elves live for a super long time right? So at what age do they reach adulthood? Same for orks (well the other way around though).

Well, based on the population figures for SoNA and SoE, it appears that either a lot more than 10% of the population turned into elves in 2011, or elves have a lifespan comparable to Orks.

But Adarael summed it up best. The important thing to remember is none of the metahumans have been alive long enough to determine average lifespans, even without considering things like subspecies, the effects of goblization, or rising magic levels.

Fortune
QUOTE (Ed Simons)
Well, based on the population figures for SoNA and SoE, it appears that either a lot more than 10% of the population turned into elves in 2011, or elves have a lifespan comparable to Orks.

Almost Elves (and Dwarves) were born. They did not goblinize in the same manner as Orcs and Trolls. A (very) few elves were born before the awakening, but they didn't 'change' in 2011.
Kanada Ten
A (very) few elves were born before the awakening, but they didn't 'change' in 2011.

And [elves and dwarves] continued to be born from humans until Goblinization in order to explain the current numbers, which seems sensible to me.
Fortune
And still do to date, only to a much lesser extent.
Ancient History
Elves and Orks have it tough with kids. The former have pregnancies lasting 360 days with a greater likelyhood of twins; and the latter often give birth to four or more kids at once!
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (Ancient History)
Elves and Orks have it tough with kids. The former have pregnancies lasting 360 days with a greater likelyhood of twins; and the latter often give birth to four or more kids at once!

And you can imagine the ovulation period of a mature elf must occur at a lower frequency than humans for them to produce young well into their hundreds. I wonder if Tir encouraged elves to procreate at a young age in order to pump up their numbers.
Fortune
I'm sure they definitely do not advocate birth control. wink.gif
Edward
How old do the oldest elves with conformable birth dates look. I think it is young enough that you have to confirm they live longer than humans.

Edward
Ed Simons
Sorry about my unclear wording, I understand they were born elves or dwarves in 2011.

The idea of more elves and dwarves being born that way in the succeeding decade helps explain the numbers for the elves, though I don't recall anything like that being mentioned in the books.

But they do say people continue to Goblinize. Unless those numbers are radically smaller than the number of elves and dwarves born to human parents, we're still left with the question of why so many elves.

But if more people are born elves and dwarves than Goblinize, it makes the missing dwarf problem even worse. Elves are supposed to be longer lived than dwarves, yet there are 3 elves for every 2 dwarves. The most logical conclusions of that are that a drastically higher percent of people turned into elves than dwarves or that dwarves have longer lifespans than elves.

Then there's the missing troll problem. Their numbers are so tiny that either over half of them did not survive the process of Goblinization, or they're breeding as such a slow rate that they must all be immortal.
Ed Simons
QUOTE (Ancient History)

They've backed off on that since 2nd edition. In addition to the unlikeliness of a species bearing a minimum of twice the number of offspring it can nurse, there's also the missing ork problem that leads to. With birth numbers of 4 or more, orks should be 40-50% of the world population, not 11-12%.

If you go with the 4+ birth rate, you have to explain where 3,000,000,000 plus orks disappeared to.
ES_Riddle
QUOTE (Ed Simons)
If you go with the 4+ birth rate, you have to explain where 3,000,000,000 plus orks disappeared to.

Two words: infant mortality. With twice as many babies as nipples, and ork mother would probably loose the two runtiest ones right there. Living in places like the Seattle Ork Underground can't help either; I'm sure that malnutrition and disease probably claim a disproportionate number of infant orks. It is a good thing that they backed it down to a simple "orks have a high incidence of multiple births" implying that twins rather than quadruplets are the norm.
Fortune
Officially, goblinization has dropped off dramatically. So much so that in the '60s it is considered quite a rarity, almost on a par with cross-race births.

Both the births of elves and dwarvs, and goblinations of orcs and trolls occured for quite a while, dropping off slowly since 2021.

There are a number of factors that keep the Orc population down. For example, Orcs have a high infant mortality rate, and this is compounded by the fact that most live at or below the poverty line. A fair portion of Orcs are SINless, giving them limited to no access to medical services. The areas they normally inhabit are less than safe, and usually suffer from inadequate security. The short lifespans also come into play.
HMHVV Hunter
QUOTE (Ed Simons)
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Oct 19 2004, 07:43 PM)

They've backed off on that since 2nd edition. In addition to the unlikeliness of a species bearing a minimum of twice the number of offspring it can nurse, there's also the missing ork problem that leads to. With birth numbers of 4 or more, orks should be 40-50% of the world population, not 11-12%.

There's a good quote in "Threats" about why the Ork population is higher than reported:

"Orks give birth in litters of four to eight. Go to Puyallup sometime and look in a window - you'd never believe how many orks can fit in one rowhouse. Also, lots of orks don't live long enough to get counted in a census, and most of them are SINless."
Critias
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
I wonder if Tir encouraged elves to procreate at a young age in order to pump up their numbers.

Who needs encouragement? With all those +2 Charisma's walking around, it's a miracle anyone gets any work done!
Ed Simons
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
I wonder if Tir encouraged elves to procreate at a young age in order to pump up their numbers.

The problem is the entire population of both Tirs explains only about 25% of the excess elves.

BTW, anyone else notice that based on population percents, the Tirs are less other metahuman friendly than anywhere but Switzerland?
Ancient History
The standard 10% of elves is thrown off in Ireland and the Pacific Northwest, which had unusuallyhigh numbres of UGE (supsicionsabout which abound in some corners).
Botch
Flame me if I am wrong, but doesn't the BBB state that the life expectancies for meta-humanity is based on the average time they stay alive including all the environmental factors, not lifespan per se. This means orks and trolls die faster not live shorter.
Ed Simons
QUOTE (Ancient History)
The standard 10% of elves is thrown off in Ireland and the Pacific Northwest, which had unusuallyhigh numbres of UGE (supsicionsabout which abound in some corners).

Yes, the Tirs have a lot more elves than the world average so far. They're also some of the smaller countries. The total population of both is a fair amount less than the population of Sweden. It's not near enough to explain total number of extra elves across both continents. And it still doesn't explain why there are 3 elves for every 2 dwarves.

All the surplus Elves cannot be explained by the Tirs. Either a whole lot more than 10% of the world population were born elves in 2011, over 500% of the children born in the Tirs and the Pacific Northwest in 2011 were elven, elven lifespan is drastically shorter than claimed (comparable to Orks), or the average elf gives birth in litters of 6.
Ancient History
10% is a rough, worldwide average. It was closer to 40% or higher in Tir na nÓg and other places. There are probably areas that had few or no elves born, and some areas that had higher rates of Goblinization. Then, of course, there's not including the "misscarriages" in certain countries.

Look, numbers are hard to go by, but in addition to high UGE rates, you have to count migration policies: the area that would be Tir Tairngire was mostly devoid of anglos after the NAN formed, except for the Sinsearch and the Ceneste, which were all elven. When Tir Tairngire formed, a lot of the remaining humans were booted out, and there was a mass influx of metahumans, especially elves. Since then, humans, dwarfs, orks, and trolls have faced varying degrees of "Get the fuck out."

Likewise, keep in mind that most of the "official" numbers do /not/ take into account the SINless. There could be an above-average number of Goblinized in the Tirs but none of 'em show up on an official census, as opposed to those cute pointy-ears.

Do elves breed like bunnies? Maybe. I dunno.

See, I figure the reason the Pacific Northwest has so damn many elves (Hell, Tir Tairngire /and/ the Sinsearch /and/ the Manitou?) is that a few of the IEs like Aithne Oakforest got stuck in the Americas during the downcycle, and you know how those things go when you're bored and lonely...
John Campbell
QUOTE (Botch)
Flame me if I am wrong, but doesn't the BBB state that the life expectancies for meta-humanity is based on the average time they stay alive including all the environmental factors, not lifespan per se.  This means orks and trolls die faster not live shorter.

It's probably a bit of both, actually. They're presented as maturing more quickly and having shorter natural lifespans than humans, but don't think it's as extreme as the raw life expectancy number would lead one to believe. That number probably includes infant mortality (which has to be terrible for orks, with the multiple birth thing both exaggerating and perpetuating the effects of poverty), violence (poverty and prejudice lead to crime), disease (the high Body helps, but living conditions and dystopian health care probably hurt more), starvation (trolls catch it worse than orks here, because of the sheer number of calories it's gotta require to keep that bulk fueled, but orks don't get a break), etc. Making it to 40 doesn't mean an ork is going to be old and decrepit... just that he's beaten the odds by not dying young. If he makes it to 16, he can probably make it to 60.
Ed Simons
QUOTE (HMHVV Hunter)
There's a good quote in "Threats" about why the Ork population is higher than reported:

"Orks give birth in litters of four to eight.  Go to Puyallup sometime and look in a window - you'd never believe how many orks can fit in one rowhouse.  Also, lots of orks don't live long enough to get counted in a census, and most of them are SINless."

Ah, the Human Nation section. Note that even that racist group does not claim Orks "give birth in litters of four to eight" it's a lone poster.

Official Human Nation claims were 32% of all births in 2050 in the UCAS and CAS were Orks. Considering that Orks are just under 12% of the population of those nations, that's a claim of 2 to 3 Ork children born at a time, not 4 to 8.

It's also clearly not a claim that 4 to 8 Orks are born, but only 2 to 3 survive as the Human Nation further claims the birth to age 5 mortality rate for Orks is 20%. If they were born in groups of 4 to 8 that would be over 50% mortality rate.

Even those numbers, if accurate, would clearly be 'cherry picked' by the Human Nation to present a worst case scenario.

Of course, the existing data from SoE and SoNA doesn't support birth rates for Orks as high as the Human Nation claims. Based on that, the average Ork mother give birth to 1 to 2 children at a time, usually one.

Just Jonny
While this totally fails to address issues of racial demographics, Earthdawn said elves live an average of 300 years, so I'd just go with that for the getting old thing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012