Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Smartlinks: Is the bonus just too good?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
toturi
I always thought of the module as a seperate processor, and since it costs only 0.1 Essense, it is pretty small.

If you are the GM, it is your call whether to ignore the Errata or not. Personally I think it makes both IC sense and game balance sense.
Canid13
I'm with toturi on this one, the mod for the smartlink is an additional processor to interpret the range data and the weapon mod is the laser and stuff. It makes sense, and it also makes getting that addidional TN modifiers at long and extreme range a little more costly than a 150 nuyen weapon mod which any self respecting sam can fit himself.

It doesn't quite make the base 4's for extreme range, but it does help when you look at the TN 7 you'd normally have. 2, 3, 3 and 5 is always good, and if you have a grenade launcher, it makes Grenade Links useful too :o)
Kagetenshi
Whether it makes sense or not, it's a trivial addition and changes his original point not in the least.

~J
mmu1
QUOTE (Canid13)
I'm with toturi on this one, the mod for the smartlink is an additional processor to interpret the range data and the weapon mod is the laser and stuff. It makes sense, and it also makes getting that addidional TN modifiers at long and extreme range a little more costly than a 150 nuyen weapon mod which any self respecting sam can fit himself.

It doesn't quite make the base 4's for extreme range, but it does help when you look at the TN 7 you'd normally have. 2, 3, 3 and 5 is always good, and if you have a grenade launcher, it makes Grenade Links useful too :o)

It makes no sense.

A smartlink processor is able to calculate the precise orientation of the gun at all times while you're running, jumping, swimming, bouncing around in a vehicle, etc., which is something we don't even have the technology for yet (for anything smaller than tank turrets, anyway), but it can't do what a $150 pair of binoculars does today without an additional dedicated processor that costs Essence? Right. sarcastic.gif
Kagetenshi
Presumably the cyberware rangefinder calculates the drop given a specific range and soforth rather than just the range.

Note that I still think it's silly. Before that errata I'd come up with plenty of uses of the rangefinder without even using a smartlink, while now it's like the ASIST converter; useless for nearly all other applications.

~J
Jason Farlander
No. Wrong. Just displaying range to target *is* easy, and you can do that with a rangefinder accessory for your gun even without the extra SL2 accessory. Hell, I bet most electronic scopes will do that for you as well. The part that requires additional processing is where the SL2 system adjusts the position of the targeting reticle AND provides limited simsense feedback to improve your aim based on range data, thus providing additional TN reductions. As you said, the standard SL2 processor is rather impressive in its own right, and I guess they figured that only a subset of SL2 customers would want to shell out the extra cash and brainspace for rangefinder integration processing, so they made it an add-on rather than standard. It really does make perfect sense.

Put another way: If the SL2 had *originally* had its essence cost listed as 0.6 and included range processing, you would not be complaining that the device was too essence-expensive. It is, simply put, a much better piece of ware than the original smartlink, and in pretty much all other cases where there is a standard version and a better version of a piece of ware, the better version costs more essence.

I dont see why you care so much that they made one nice feature of the system optional, especially considering its trivial cost.
Stumps
I'm just playing around with the ideas floating around here.

I liked the idea that was proposed about the adding 2 dice to the roll as opposed to -2 from TN, but I wanted to know it's actual effect.

So I went to Scott's Shadowrun Target Number Home Page and plugged in some simple numbers to see what the difference was.

::TEST ONE::
(As per normal)
4 dice aiming to succeed a TN of 10 with one pair and receiving a -2TN (TN=cool.gif has a 9.54235968221308% chance of success.

(Proposed Revision)
4 dice aiming to succed a TN of 10 with one pair and receiving 2 extra dice to the roll (6 dice) has a 8.309388128000684% chance of success.
---------------------------------------
The Proposed Revision indeed is a harder test to succeed at. (by 1.2%)

::TEST TWO::
(As per normal)
4 dice aiming to succeed a TN of 10 with two pairs and receiving a -2TN (TN=cool.gif has a 0.03721088629782046% chance of success.

(Proposed Revision)
4 dice aiming to succed a TN of 10 with two pairs and receiving 2 extra dice to the roll (6 dice) has a 0.06302779921124826% chance of success.
The Proposed Revision is an easier test to succeed at. (by 0.03%)

::TEST THREE::
(As per normal)
6 dice aiming to succeed a TN of 13 with one pair and receiving a -2TN (TN=11) has a 3.985370083414715% chance of success.

(Proposed Revision)
6 dice aiming to succed a TN of 13 with one pair and receiving 2 extra dice to the roll (8 dice) has a 1.9325777307331062% chance of success.
The Proposed Revision is a harder test to succeed at. (by 2%)

::TEST FOUR::
(As per normal)
6 dice aiming to succeed a TN of 13 with two pairs and receiving a -2TN (TN=11) has a 0.013048249946842637% chance of success.

(Proposed Revision)
6 dice aiming to succed a TN of 13 with two pairs and receiving 2 extra dice to the roll (8 dice) has a 0.0038098243076577585% chance of success.
The Proposed Revision is a harder test to succeed at. (by .01%)

::END TEST::

So it appears already that if you are looking to make it more difficult to get one pair of successful dice, then indeed giving two dice instead of a -TN of 2 would be a good idea.
If you are however, looking to make things harder past that, it looks as though there isn't really too much of a curved advantage between the ideas.

AVERAGE HIT TEST
::% Chance For 6 Dice To Hit TN's 2 - 13 On Average With One Pair Of Dice Succeeding::
-2TN
50.027166512534298769230769230769%

::% Chance For 8 Dice To Hit TN's 2 - 13 On Average With One Pair Of Dice Succeeding::
+2D6 to Roll
41.019444523722528338461538461538%

Final
The Proposed Idea is 9.00772198881177043076923076923% more difficult to succeed at than the -2TN that stands in effect at present.

All in all...looks like a pretty sound idea with out any real downsides forseeable in doing so. You simply have made the game 9% harder accross the board (basically).

You know...you really are talking about bringing back the third level of concentration that was called specialization and simply getting rid of SL's all together. (funny how that works)
mmu1
I wouldn't care if you either had to slap a rangefinder on a SL-equipped gun and be able to use it, or you were able to get an eye-mod rangefinder that connected internally to your SL, but having to do both strikes me as pointless, not the least because compared to all the math a SL processor has to do already, incorporating range data into it is completely trivial. It's like requiring a Pentium IV to have an auxilliar processor to run a program emulating a scientific calculator.

A rangefinder is also the first thing anyone designing a real-life "smartlink" would have included, but that's a whole another rant...
Kremlin KOA
especially when a electronic mag 3 eye mod negates thew need for rangefinder mods and gives with SL! 2/3/4/4 which is comparable to 2/3/3/5 it is pointless
Raygun
QUOTE (mmu1 @ Oct 25 2004, 05:11 PM)
A rangefinder is also the first thing anyone designing a real-life "smartlink" would have included, but that's a whole another rant...

Considering that A) rangefinding is pretty close to useless within 100 meters and that the vast majority of armed combat happens within that range, and B) that in order to easily acquire the aiming reticle within your field of vision it is likely to cover the area of dispersal to 50 meters with most handguns and to 300 meters with most combat rifles, there's really not a lot of point in adding a rangefinder to the system from the get go unless you really need it. And most users won't.

If there's no reason to jack up the price of the product, you leave out the piece that jacks the price up. Also, rangefinders can very easily be external devices, rather than cyberware. And lasers are not the only way to calculate range.

Range to target is a pretty important variable for ballistics calculation, when it becomes an issue. (i.e. any kind of long range rifle work; sniping, anti-matériel, etc...)
Johnny Reb
And a big thank you for doing the math for me, up there. smile.gif

Yes, the goal was to make shooting a tad harder but still keep the feel of things. A Smartgun helps you make better shots, but not as dramaticly as the target number drop would imply.

It was just an off-the-top-of-my-head fix.

A bit of a surprise that it'd get that close, tho.

-- Reb
Kagetenshi
Twelve dice, TN 2, expecting ten successes. Fourteen dice, TN 4, expecting 7 successes.

Twelve dice, TN 4, expecting 6 successes. Fourteen dice, TN 6, expecting 2.333 successes.

Twelve dice, TN 6, expecting 2wo successes. Fourteen dice, TN 8, expecting 1.9444.

Twelve dice, TN 8, expecting 1.666. Fourteen dice, TN 10, expecting 0.777.

Twelve dice, TN 10, expecting 1 success. Fourteen dice, TN 12, expecting 0.3888.

Twelve dice, TN 2, expecting ten successes. Fourteen dice, TN 2, expecting 11.666.

~J
Jason Farlander
QUOTE (mmu1)
I wouldn't care if you either had to slap a rangefinder on a SL-equipped gun and be able to use it, or you were able to get an eye-mod rangefinder that connected internally to your SL, but having to do both strikes me as pointless, not the least because compared to all the math a SL processor has to do already, incorporating range data into it is completely trivial. ]

By all means, mmu1, provide a quote that demonstrates that the rangefinder accessory is an eye mod. I'll help you out: you cant, because there is no such quote. Your continuing assertion that the SL2 rangefinder subsystem is an eye modification is clearly a house-interpretation, and, futher, one that is clearly *not* supported by the rules. Repeat after me: there is no canon justification for the interpretation that the SL2 rangefinder subsystem is a modification to the eye. There is no canon cybernetic rangefinder eye modification, so there is no redundancy involved in requiring both the subsystem and the gun accessory.

Now, if you wanted to create your own (house-ruled) cybernetic version of a rangefinder eye mod, I would support you in that decision. It seems reasonable that many SL2 customers would like the the option to not have to worry about multiple rangefinder accessories for their guns. Something on the order of .1 essense/500 nuyen.gif sounds right to me.
mmu1
QUOTE (Jason Farlander @ Oct 25 2004, 05:00 PM)
By all means, mmu1, provide a quote that demonstrates that the rangefinder accessory is an eye mod.  I'll help you out: you cant, because there is no such quote.  Your continuing assertion that the SL2 rangefinder subsystem is an eye modification is clearly a house-interpretation, and, futher, one that is clearly *not* supported by the rules.  Repeat after me: there is no canon justification for the interpretation that the SL2 rangefinder subsystem is a modification to the eye. There is no canon cybernetic rangefinder eye modification, so there is no redundancy involved in requiring both the subsystem and the gun accessory.

Now, if you wanted to create your own (house-ruled) cybernetic version of a rangefinder eye mod, I would support you in that decision.  It seems reasonable that many SL2 customers would like the the option to not have to worry about multiple rangefinder accessories for their guns.  Something on the order of .1 essense/500  nuyen.gif  sounds right to me.

My only continuous assertion is that not making the rangefinder either an eye mod or a weapon mod but instead requiring both a piece of cyber and a gun mod is idiotic. I don't care how the cyber is defined in the rules.

Repeat after me: "This is me breathing. I am at peace with the me." Do this twenty times.
Jason Farlander
QUOTE (mmu1)
Repeat after me: "This is me breathing. I am at peace with the me." Do this twenty times.

Thats right. You'ge going deeper into your cave. And you're going to find your power animal.

"Slide"
Kagetenshi
Sword

~J
Raygun
QUOTE (mmu1)
My only continuous assertion is that not making the rangefinder either an eye mod or a weapon mod  but instead requiring both a piece of cyber and a gun mod is idiotic.

That is idiotic. Who said you had to do it that way? Smartlink = both cyberware + gun-mounted hardware. Rangefinder = gun-mounted hardware integrated with smartlink hardware. AFAIK, there's nothing that says you can't do it that way.
Ol' Scratch
Well, except for the rules for smartlinks and rangefinders.
Raygun
Then I guess he's right. It's idiotic and should probably be ignored. That could be why I don't remember it.
tjn
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
Well, except for the rules for smartlinks and rangefinders.

Depends on what he meant by both "gun-mounted hardware" and "smartlink hardware."

The sentence is somewhat vague and several conflicting meanings could be drawn from them.
Raygun
Edit: Page 2. Duh. It's shitty piece of errata that should be completely ignored, IMO. There's no reason why the gun-mounted module shouldn't be able to interface with the smartlink hardware all on its own and I don't think there's any reason why rangefinder cyberware should be able to do the same thing. One or the other, not both, should be sufficient.
lacemaker
On topic:
I think there's a legitimate argument that the smart link is a little overpowered from a game balance point of view, and I completely buy the "if it is an automatic addition to a starting character then it is unbalanced" rule of thumb. The response that "it was intended to be ubiquitous" is just circular - the only items I but that kind of argument for are ones that will have so little influence that they are priced for realism rather than game balance - everyone taking a pocket-sec is fine, everyone automatically starting their cyberware package with a smartlink isn't IMO.

And has been pointed out, the low essence cost means that the sammy's single biggest advantage is incredibly available to awakened characters.

I think a lot of good could be done by fiddling with the smartlink and making it both more fully-realised (rather than a balck box with a game effect, which is what it currently does most of the time) and slightly less tempting - given that it's a key peice of a sammy's loadout very little has been done to explore its full functionality.
toturi
EDIT: Stewpitt post
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (lacemaker @ Oct 25 2004, 09:10 PM)
"if it is an automatic addition to a starting character then it is unbalanced"

Datajack.

Edit: never mind, you already addressed that class of object with "Pocket Secretary".

~J
Fortune
Of course, nobody is taking into account the Smartlink's legality.
tjn
QUOTE (lacemaker)
And has been pointed out, the low essence cost means that the sammy's single biggest advantage is incredibly available to awakened characters.

Once again, a Sammies' biggest advantage is not any single piece of 'ware.

And anyone, mundane or awakened, can grab a vis mag 3 mod and a high powered laser to get a base TN of 3 out to 150 meters; which is more then adequate under most circumstances.

To be honest, I consider the essence cost a bit much for what it does and simular to an encephlon or a headware radio in that regard.

Kagetenshi
The laser sight has the massive disadvantage of being visible at the target, and in the air if there are sufficient reflective particles.

~J
tjn
While it's not exactly canon, an IR laser with IR imaging slapped onto the vis mod combats the usual disadvantage.
Kagetenshi
Still doesn't if there's a Troll, Dwarf, or person with the proper eyemods in the area.

~J
Jason Farlander
I continue to maintain that if the SL2 simply cost 0.6 essence/4500: nuyen: and included compatability with an external rangefinder, no one would be complaining about how retarded it is that it costs what it does.

Furthermore, I submit that, if they had presented it as I mentioned above, and allowed you could get a discount of 0.1 essence/1000 nuyen.gif on the standard SL2 package by excluding the rangefinder processing capabilities, you would also not complain about how retarded it was that there existed an excludeable rangefinder processor. The only difference is how they chose to present what is essentially an identical situation.
Kremlin KOA
Jason I would so you are wrong there.

Some of us played avidly in second edition and back ten in the Cybertechnology sourcebook the rangefinder was an eye mod so there is CANON support for such an interpretation so you are wrong there

calm down
toturi
But that Rangefinder was a rangefinder, not a SL II rangefinder mod. biggrin.gif
Fortune
I don't have a problem with the extra Essence cost of the Rangefinder. My problem is the need for an extrenal, gun-mounted module if one is already implanted. In my opinion, it would make more sense to be one or the other. To gain the benefits, a character has the option of either implanting the Rangefinder as a Smartlink add-on, or having one installed as an external component to his weapon(s).
Herald of Verjigorm
Would you prefer the cyberware referred to as "extended physics co-processor for smartlink systems"?
Fortune
I don't see much real work on the part of the SL processor for it to incorporate the calculations necessary for Rangefinder integration on top of its normal function. The Rangefinder itself is where the redundancy comes in. I believe (and indeed house-rule) that it is only necessary to have one device that acts as the Rangefinder, whether that is implanted or a gun-mod.
Kremlin KOA
My biggest problem with this is simply gasme balance as for 0.6 essence I can have 2/3/4/4 without the need for funky rangefinder modifications to my gun that use up a gun slot

2/3/3/5 is not really much better than 2/3/4/4 and if I choose to go with a colt manhunter it is realy 2/3/3/3.5 (3 out to half of extreme range 4 for the rest) in day and 2/3/3/3 at night this makes the SL2 rangefinder deal underpowered compared to a SL1 and electronic mag 3 per essence (I realize the implants cost more but you get that back over time by much cheaper gun mods,
eg manhunter + SL1 = nuyen.gif 850
manhunter + SL2 + rangefinder = nuyen.gif 1212.5

that's :nuyen:362.5 extra per for the CHEAPEST gun option if you are going for SMGs or most rifles (alpha notwithstanding) the price difference rises dramatically.

now the SL1 + elec mag 3 is nuyen.gif 13,500 and the SL2 + rangefinder costs nuyen.gif 5,500 that makes a difference of nuyen.gif 8000.

that's 22-23 guns in your career before the cost evens out in cash. add to this the fact that the rig I showed is compatible with more of the guns that can be grabbed off a downed corp sec guard and you realize that with the both required ruling thr rangefinder is effectively worthless

and that ignores the guy who just goes laser sigt and electronig mag 3 for 3/3/3/3.5 or the adept with the same and attunement for 2/2/2/2.5

smartlink doesn't seem so bad now, does it? main reason i take smartlink for my sammy chars is coolness factor
Fortune
Um...Vision Magnification and Smartlinks are incompatible.
Kremlin KOA
yes but one can have both and it is a free action to choose which one is using for the shot
mfb
not even a free action, actually. it's not an action at all; you just use one or the other.
Kremlin KOA
true, even easier than I thought
Stumps
QUOTE ('tjn')
Once again, a Sammies' biggest advantage is not any single piece of 'ware.
hmm....I'm not sure if I can really agree with this because I have a hard time trying to remember too many Sammies without Wired Reflexes or the like. And that...that is a rather large advantage. Without it, you might as well not bother unless you have some creative solutions under your belt, but that's usually done by advanced players who've become bored with Wired Reflexes.

Sorry, I really don't want to de-rail this thread here...
Canid13
Kremlin, I'm intruigued where you got your numbers from?? With Vis Mag 3 your TN's to hit are 4/4/4/4. You can chose to use this instead of anything else you have, such as smartlink or smartlink 2, but those systems don't stack.

Lasers and, I'm assuming, the Adept power of attuning, will work with the Vis Mag but smartlink won't.

And to be honest, I have no problem with any of this. So what, it takes the Smartlink 2 a daughter board to process hyper accurate range data, and so what the standard issue sensory hardware within the gun can't give that kind of info.

I take a very GM orientated view of things - what's good for the goose is good for the gander. My players have realised that they've got a 2/3/3/5 progression for shots - as does any NPC who's gonna have a smartlink installed since the essence cost and nuyen cost to go from smartlink 1 to smartlink 2 with rangefinder is negligible.
toturi
With the difference b/w a SL 1 and SL 2 + rangefinder being 3000 nuyen.gif then it would make sense not to get that SL 2 + RF. 3000 may not seem a big deal, but it is a month's pay for a LS street officer. If you start having NPCs all having that, it is really going test the suspension of disbelief.

It is ok if the Agents and Neo can dodge bullets, but when everyone is an Agent really tests my patience.
Stumps
QUOTE (Canid13)
-as does any NPC who's gonna have a smartlink installed since the essence cost and nuyen cost to go from smartlink 1 to smartlink 2 with rangefinder is negligible.

I think this was Johnny Reb's point that he didn't like.

You seem to be basing somethings rationality off of a given status that your NPC's will consistantly have an SL2 because the sacrifice is "negligible" for the reward.
(please correct me if I'm wrong in this interpitation)
Kremlin KOA
okay canid in short you may have both vision mag and SL systems installed but you may not benefit from both at the same time

hence if you have vis mag three and a smartlink your tns are

short range: I'll go with a smartlink at this range TN2
Medium range: smartlink still better here TN 3
Long range: much of a muchness TN 4
Extreme range, well now I'm better off with vision mag TN 4

hence 2/3/4/4
now add a laser sight (ala colt manhunter) and we have
short range go with the smartlink TN2
medium range, much of a muchness TN 3
long range, go with the vis mag and LS TN 3
extreme range go with the vis mag and LS tn 3 or 4 if further than 50m and daylight

the laser sight + vis mag and LS + attuning + vis mag should be easier to understand
Stumps
I think the reason that SL's give a -2TN instead of +2D6 was because the old Specializations gave a +2D6.

Let's pretend that the original rule was SL's give +2D6 and that we're playing 2nd Edition SR.
If you Specialized in a Pred III and used an SL, you'd have a total of 10D6 to roll with a Pred III before you even used Combat Pool Dice.

So I think that's why it was a -2TN originally.

On the other hand,
They've gotten rid of the third branch of skills so you can't get 8D6 off of Specializing anymore.

With that removal, it would seem that making SL's +2D6 in 3rd Ed. SR an ok prospect, but not a good prospect at all in any 2nd Ed. SR game as well as making any Character Conversions between the two Editions a bit more difficult.

But as a house rule, sounds good.
Kremlin KOA
honestly at that point I start taking my LS combo above as it is a better choice than the SL if the house rule comes in
Stumps
I think that's Johnny's point....The SL is perfectly stealthy....the Laser Site may or may not be depending on things.
Kremlin KOA
QUOTE (Stumps)
I think that's Johnny's point....The SL is perfectly stealthy....the Laser Site may or may not be depending on things.

yeah well 4/4/4/4 at 0.1 essence is still preferable to 4/5/6/9 at +2 dice for 0.5 essence 3/3/3/3.5 is just so much icing on cake
Canid13
SOTA 64 talks about Lone Star giving discounts on cyberware, but either way, I quantified my statement - if an NPC's gonna have Smartlink in the first place then I see no reason why they wouldn't have smartlink 2. Okay, rangefinders are a little more on the iffy side, but for the most part only SWAT level sec goons have Smartlink in my games, and those guys will definately not be worried by an extra couple of k. Other than that, well that's what smart googles are for....

Hmm, I wonder if the rangefinder will work with smart 2 goggles... doesn't say it won't, though probably have to add a little cost to it for the rangefinder proc.

Kremlin: cool, didn't realise you'd included both sets of mods when they can be gotten.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012