Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Movement: The Critter Power
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Kyuhan
No I don't mean game mechanically. A buddy of mine and I were talking about how it works, he figures the power does some kind of "Improved (or unimproving?) Quickness physad power effect" whenever a character tries to walk/run. I figured that maybe it just accelerates/deccelerates the personal time frame of the character when they try to walk/run, thus giving the illusion of increased/decreased speed without the possibly harmful effects of moving too fast, if that makes any sense. Any thoughts or comments?

..."You're both dorks." is not a valid comment. nyahnyah.gif
Herald of Verjigorm
What it does is very clearly spelled out. How it does that is irrelevant in relation to the game mechanics and probably varies depending on the creature/spirit in question.

A nature spirit would most likely use its power to change the moste immediate reference frame for velocity. For similar examples: see jetstreams. Such a process is easy with sky and water types, and a little harder for some to accept for land varieties.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Kyuhan)
I figured that maybe it just accelerates/deccelerates the personal time frame of the character when they try to walk/run, thus giving the illusion of increased/decreased speed without the possibly harmful effects of moving too fast, if that makes any sense. Any thoughts or comments?

Remember, SR is strict about not being able to alter time, so I don't think that's what's going on here. As far as moving fast, it's not the speed that gets you, but the sudden change of speed (acceleration or decceleration).

I always just figured the Movement power was like a spell that granted the bonus movement while present in the medium.

As it was mentioned, the specifics of "how" are rather non-consequential for the power to work.
Kyuhan
As it was mentioned, the specifics of "how" are rather non-consequential for the power to work.

Indeed. We were just sleep deprived and chatting about whatever got us thinkin' and that's how it came about. Solving the problems of the universe that no one cares about, one all nighter at a time. biggrin.gif
Kanada Ten
I tend to think of it as the forces of nature rushing through one's body, or crushing down upon it. The critter channels those forces into you using its innate connection with the basic life force of planet, domain, ect.
Fortune
Really, it would appear different for each Spirit type. For water-based Spirits, as has been said, the current might come to your aid, and the waves that would normally be against you might die down temporarily as you pass. For air-based, obviously wind comes to mind. For land-basd Spirits, it might appear that the ground is flowing beneath the character's feet (sort of like a moving sidewalk), and any obstacles might move slightly aside to aid in passage.
Crimson Jack
QUOTE (Fortune)
Really, it would appear different for each Spirit type. For water-based Spirits, as has been said, the current might come to your aid, and the waves that would normally be against you might die down temporarily as you pass. For air-based, obviously wind comes to mind. For land-basd Spirits, it might appear that the ground is flowing beneath the character's feet (sort of like a moving sidewalk), and any obstacles might move slightly aside to aid in passage.

This is the way I rule it in our game.
hyzmarca
That's good for spirits, and maybe critters. But, what about movement power confered by drugs such Spirit Strength?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012