Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Powering down magic
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
CircuitBoyBlue
I'm one of the crowd that really likes to play up the cyberpunk aspects of Shadowrun. My problem is that in every game I've seen, someone's had a mage, and the GM's had to counter this mage, which means making magic heavy opposition. For the next game I run, I was thinking I want something where the decker actually has the most important role in the group, rather than most normal games where the mage is the only character whose role can't be worked around. The problem is that I don't just want to outright ban mages, so I'm trying to come up with some ways of making them more focused on things other than magic. My idea was to limit beginning magic points to 3, and then give some sort of compensation (I'm not sure what yet, probably a lower priority required for it). I was wondering if there's going to be any hideously unintended consequence that I've failed to see. As a quick aside, my group generally plays 2nd ed., so I'm not sure if that changes much. Basically, my goal is to be able, as a GM, to come up with runs that only occasionally have bad guy magicians, because I think it's "unrealistic" to assume that every group of people doing something shady is going to have magicians in their ranks. The problem I've run into in the past is that the PC magician always pulls something like using Clout on everyone, and almost nobody being able to resist without the aid of an initiated magician giving them spell defense dice, because an initiate usually has a crapload of dice to throw behind spells, and even the bad-ass bad guys don't generally have a very high willpower. The way I'm thinking a magic cap of 3 will work is that it will encourage mages to take up to 3 points of cyberware, and then they'll be casting a lot lower level spells around, so the bad guys will at least have a hope of resisting them on their own. Also, with any luck, it will encourage them to spend some karma learning to use their cyberware instead of sinking everything into sorcery, initiation, and spells. I know it might have the effect of just encouraging them to initiate as quickly and often as possible to get back up to the "normal" 6 magic, but I have no idea how likely this is. If anyone out there has a better sense of how this will shake out than I do, I'd appreciate any suggestions as to how else I could seriously rein in the power of magicians in my game and get to a point where I can have a warehouse of goons be an actual threat to the group without the goons being mages themselves.
Kanada Ten
In an earlier edition they had an option to decrease magic power levels that was simple and effective. Replace all Drain codes with Force and not Force divided by 2. The difference is astounding.
CircuitBoyBlue
Aw, great. I go off on a big long rant and within 10 minutes someone has a more sensible idea that can be summed up in one sentence.

Seriously though, thanks. That idea's so helpful I think I'll try it.
Tanka
You could always play up the enforcement of permits and force ratings.

They cast Stunball Force 6? Well, unless they're in space (in which case, how the frag are they casting at all?), law enforcement is going to hear about it. And then the Forensic Mages show up. Then find out it was <mage in your group>. Then come knocking on his door.

It either makes them take lower Force spells and register all their Magic, effectively making it a lot more difficult to do anything stealthily. (Stealth can include Cleansing for the sake of not being discovered after the fact. Higher the Force, higher the TN, IIRC.)
Kagetenshi
Reduce the cost to play a mage, use the full Force for drain, have astral projection do damage over time in addition to the essence limitation, have spirits go rogue on Shamans, have Elementals be a downright force of will to keep in check...

Make magic less friendly, basically. That'll work nicely for powering the stuff down, and IMO add to the flavour.

~J
Tanka
Background count, background count, background count.

Let him try to summon even a Force 3 Watcher when he has to roll 5s with a mere Conjuring 6.
GrinderTheTroll
Wow are mages that over powering in your game? I know they can be troublesome at times, but unless they've got some game-breaking set-up (hopefully not at chargen wink.gif) then there shouldn't be a need to "counter" them.

I will admit, they do add an extra element of unknown, but I try and think about how much the world would differ with magic being a big part of it and also consider that these are "professional" Shadowrunners and have skills, abilities and gear to back up what's expected of them.

Some great suggestions already consider SR2 that had some good ideas about making magic more/less powerful.
DrJest
You're trying to tell me a warehouse full of goons isn't a threat to a mage anyway? Sorry, but I just don't buy that. Sure the mage can cast a fireball or whatever. Or the samurai could throw a couple grenades, or hose the place down with automatic fire. Same difference, really. The mage gets to slip past most armour, at the price of fatiguing himself and taking higher target numbers. Seems like a fair trade, especially since basic manaphobia means the guy casting spells is the first target for every goon with a gun in the immediate vicinity.

I'm getting a little tired of the "mages are too uber" attitude I've been seeing lately. If the only way you can challenge a mage is with another mage, you seriously need to rethink your tactics.

Example: the warehouse full of goons. Unless there's a really good reason for it, don't cluster them. That way even an initiated mage won't get more than two or three in a single spell. Use the environment - warehouses have stuff in them, which limits line of sight; you can't zap what you can't see, of course. Pop-up tactics (pop out, fire, pop back) work wonders against mages. Remember that a warehouse is a three-dimensional environment; many of them have catwalks towards the ceiling, where a couple of guys with cheap black-market assault rifles can have a field day shooting down whilst maintaining good cover. Or heck, dropping a couple of grenades over the side whilst remaining completely out of sight, if it's reasonable for them to have that kind of firepower.

With higher tech options you get even more ways to screw over any runner's day, including - or especially - mages. Flashpaks are cheap and reusable, and will make a mess of a mage's vision. Noisemakers will pile on the distraction modifiers, and can come in a range of levels to suit most degrees of tech. Really high-tech bad guys may well have drones (in a warehouse, the Ares Sentinel line is fantastic - just run rails across the warehouse every ten metres or so and there's almost nowhere they can't see).

Magic is a reality in Shadowrun, and that being the case it is something that everybody will plan for when setting up their defences. Given the huge amount of information available via the Matrix, anyone with an interest can get a vague idea of how to screw mages.

Just don't fall into the trap of assuming that you have to have a mage to counter a mage. It's not true.
Kagetenshi
Problem with your approach: unless there are geasa involved, there's no reason to know that a given person is the spellcaster. Unless elemental manipulations are being thrown, it's even probable that a side may not realize there's magic involved. A simple Improved Invisibility will render most opposition incapable of seeing the mage; Levitate gives them options for attack directions that may not even occur to most mundane opposition, and that will hamper even the most highly trained. A simple pistol to shoot the noisemakers works too, and if there aren't distraction TNs for other tasks, why would there be for magic either? Basically, the only suggestion there that really works is the drone.

There are a lot of ways to counter a mage without one, but they generally involve one of the following:

1) Vehicles/drones
2) Knowing there's a mage coming and who and where they are
3) Paracritters/FAB.

~J
mfb
actually, anyone viewing the mage has a chance to note that a magical effect is taking place, even if there are no visible cues (geasa, elemental effect, whatever). SR3 page 162 gives a TN of 4 +(caster's magic) -(force of effect) to notice that someone is using a magical skill.
Kagetenshi
That's true. It doesn't help much, though.

~J
mfb
bah, finding the mage is easy. it's the one dancing around 'skyclad' with feathers in their hair.
DrJest
Ding.

Decently aware opponents will identify the mage with reasonable speed. But it may not be necessary. A street gang might not work out which one of the runners is the mage, but a flashpak into the group is going to make life awkward for all of them. The tactics I mentioned above are all broad-application, and rarely require actual targeting (a noisemaker doesn't need to know which one of the runners in range is the mage to screw them up). Oh, on the noisemaker thing - as a GM I assume that magic, being an effort of will, requires fairly intense concentration to perform, making it susceptible to distraction, but YMMV.

My point is that only idiot opponents stand around in groups where a single spell - or grenade, or autofire burst - can take them out. Play opponents with even basic street-level tactical smarts and the mage is little or no more effective than his compatriots.
Kagetenshi
I would say that it is just as prone to distraction modifiers as aiming a gun or similar.

Again, Improved Invisibility and/or Levitate.

~J
Cray74
QUOTE (CircuitBoyBlue)
I'm one of the crowd that really likes to play up the cyberpunk aspects of Shadowrun. My problem is that in every game I've seen, someone's had a mage, and the GM's had to counter this mage, which means making magic heavy opposition.

A bunch of security guards with cover, poor lighting, and FA SMGs can do a number on virtually any type of runner, mages included.

Rar. The mage was able to see one guard behind cover and nailed him with a manaball. His three or four buddies - who weren't seen and thus weren't nuked - just spray-and-pray, and let the suppression fire rules turn the mage into paste.

Works pretty well against uber-samurai, too.
Signal
I'm glad you guys are having this discussion. As a new GM, I've been trying to find a bunch of non-magical ways to counter mages that are generally widely available to the kind of people who would want to put a stop to a runner's plans. I realize that in the world of Shadowrun, 90% of the world's populace is non-Awakened or non-cybered, so to reflect this I've been trying to figure out effective "mundane" NPCs that can still put up a good fight despite lack of cyberware and magic. I think I'm doing fairly well countering the samurai's with non-cybered goons (large numbers of assault rifles with recoil compensation are a big help with this), but I know there are some tricks I'm missing when it comes to giving the mages a challenge.

Like for example, what if a mage is fond of summoning Force 6 spirits/elementals?
Kanada Ten
Again, Improved Invisibility and/or Levitate.

Ruthi and Stealth. There is nothing inherintly overpowered about magic. People who refuse to get guard critters are fools. And with 50 years of magic everyone will know this. No different than every other type of runner: they all require something to counter them. A decker is equally powerful to a mage and just as game breaking if the GM refuses to add IC.
DrJest
Okay, let's look at those.

Improved Invisibility. It's good, but the +2 TN for sustaining screws further successes badly, and anyone with thermo vision - trolls, dwarves - can see you anyway (unless that changed in 3rd Ed as well). Amusing Moments I Have GM'd - the invisible mage sneaking carefully through the maze of off-duty Lone Star coppers as he made his way to the evidence locker. Beautiful to watch. Got there and the dwarf copper on duty cold-cocked him with a tire iron.

Levitate, well, first off you've got the +2TN for sustaining again, and this time you are so the most obvious mage in existence. Every gunbunny in the fight is going to be shooting at you the moment you reveal your existence. You'll get one free shot, sure, but you're less likely to make it count and after that you're flying Swiss cheese smile.gif
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (DrJest)
Improved Invisibility. It's good, but the +2 TN for sustaining screws further successes badly, and anyone with thermo vision - trolls, dwarves - can see you anyway (unless that changed in 3rd Ed as well).

Thermographic vision is countered by Invisibility. However, Ultrasound is not.
DrJest
Like for example, what if a mage is fond of summoning Force 6 spirits/elementals?

Give him to me, I'll make him rue the day smile.gif

It's a very effective tactic, it has to be admitted, albeit bloody expensive in the case of the elementals. But at Force 6 it becomes self-limiting to a degree.

Firstly, there's the target number. 6's simply aren't that easy to roll when you really need them, so either Karma Pool is getting blown to get a success or two or the mage is probably only getting one service. "Attack that ganger" is one service. "Attack those gangers" could easily be interpreted as several.

As I mentioned, the cost of Force 6 elementals becomes prohibitive after a while. Force Rating x 1000 nuyen.gif , IIRC.

For shamen, calling up a Force 6 spirit in media res is also tough. Few successes, and that's assuming no other target number mods (wounds, environment). A factor more affecting the shaman is Drain. Resisting the drain for that Force 6 Hearth Spirit is a bummer. Again, more karma pool down the drain for successes or some heavy duty fatigue.
DrJest
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
Thermographic vision is countered by Invisibility. However, Ultrasound is not.

Hmm... I just checked the 3rd ed entry on the spell. The text says "normal vision". That one is well ambiguous. As a veteran of 2nd Ed, I would say that thermo sees you still the way it used to, although I can see where there's the case for saying it doesn't.
Kanada Ten
The case is heavy against since the FAQ states such, Man and Machine's entry of the thrmosense organ, and those metahumans with Thermographic vision are listed as having that as their normal (or is it natural?) vision. Besides which one could simply create a spell with the exact same effects by replacing the words normal vision with all vision (single sense) and have the same drain, TN and so on of Invisibility.

[edit] ...I can edit but not add...
Conskill
Basically, my goal is to be able, as a GM, to come up with runs that only occasionally have bad guy magicians, because I think it's "unrealistic" to assume that every group of people doing something shady is going to have magicians in their ranks.

Magicians are not all that rare in Shadowrun. One in a hundred sounds like a little, but if you're in any decent metropolitian area (which will pale in comparison to 2060s Seattle, which is an urban sprawl the size of a small New England state) think about how many people you walk or drive pass in a single day. Figure one in a hundred of them is Awakened in some way. That's a lot of people.

Joe Sixpack may not work with a magician in daily life, but that's less because they're so rare and more because you'll find magicians shuttled into jobs where magicians are useful (and are paid highly to do it).

The problem I've run into in the past is that the PC magician always pulls something like using Clout on everyone, and almost nobody being able to resist without the aid of an initiated magician giving them spell defense dice, because an initiate usually has a crapload of dice to throw behind spells, and even the bad-ass bad guys don't generally have a very high willpower.

Clout is the telekinetic equivalent of an elemental manipulation. Armor counts. Plus, there's nothing saying the Bad Guys Union prohibits the willful from joining.

I'd appreciate any suggestions as to how else I could seriously rein in the power of magicians in my game and get to a point where I can have a warehouse of goons be an actual threat to the group without the goons being mages themselves.

A few ideas.

A) As someone suggested, play up the law enforcement aspect. The Awakened are a half-feared half-exalted minority. With a few easy tweaks to the setting, you could flip that into pure magophobia. After an immensely powerful Insect shaman decimates the White House, the Patriot Act 5.0 is passed requiring the detention of all unregistered and unSINed magicians. Known magicians become targetted for discrimination and hate-mongering. Talismonger shops are firebombed, the Practical Guide to Thaumaturgy stops printing, and Magicknet's servers suffer constant decker bombardment. Shadowrunning magicians need to find a way to support their art without any of the support structure normally in place, and if they're caught they simply disappear to God knows where.

B) Mundanes can have magical support without a magician present. This is still a magical aspect, of course, but a "lower" flavor may suit your needs more. Set an alarm ward over the warehouse and have the magician -- a contractor the goons hired -- phone the guards when it's triggered. No fireballs, but their element of surprise is well and truly blown. Elementals can be bound to a mundane, allowing for a frightening surprise without spell-slinging. And always, always geek the mage first.
Tanka
The only problem with "geek the mage" is when they have spirits. Especially high-Force ones that like to go free and wreak havoc.
John Campbell
I'm going to skip all the "Mages are über!/No, there are easy mundane ways to counter mages!" debate, and just suggest this:

If you want to run a game where the PCs have little to no magical support, have you tried just asking your players to make mundane characters for this particular game?
Tanka
Dude, that'd just be way too easy...
Cain
If you're using points, increase the cost for magic by 5 points. Full mages now cost 35, Adepts and Aspected now cost 30. When combined with the full force for drain rule, mages will be much less powerful than before.
Stumps
QUOTE (mfb @ Nov 10 2009, 12:40 AM)
bah, finding the mage is easy. it's the one dancing around 'skyclad' with feathers in their hair.

That is not always true at all. Hermetic magicians do not dance nor are they required to look any different due to fetishes or similar thing of that nature as the shaman, that you are describing, is.

QUOTE (Conskill)
Magicians are not all that rare in Shadowrun. One in a hundred sounds like a little, but if you're in any decent metropolitian area (which will pale in comparison to 2060s Seattle, which is an urban sprawl the size of a small New England state) think about how many people you walk or drive pass in a single day. Figure one in a hundred of them is Awakened in some way. That's a lot of people.

While this is true for 3rd edition...keep something in mind.
QUOTE (CircuitBoyBlue)
...my group generally plays 2nd ed.

In second edition, back in the 50's, mages weren't as common.
I don't have that book on hand *pouts*, but it was a different ratio, and suggested through logical deduction that there shouldn't be a mage in every group.
This is most likely the reason that FanPro altered the ratio in 3rd edition. People like mages, and the flavour didn't support that ratio of groups with them.

So, in his world (2nd ed.) mages are rare, as they are described as such in that book.

QUOTE (Conskill)
After an immensely powerful Insect shaman decimates the White House, the Patriot Act 5.0 is passed requiring the detention of all unregistered and unSINed magicians.

Britain is the only place that a mage has to register themselves.
The UCAS and CAS only require that you obtain permits for using spells with a Force of 3 or above.
It is unlikely, though not out of the realms of possibility, that the UCAS and CAS would pass a bill requiring mages to register as there is a meta-human activist rights association that is fighting hard to keep the rights of mages humane.
According to MitS, the bill to regulate even the Art of magic has not been passed because the courts deam it "illegal and unconstitutional".

A comparison to your suggestion would be 9/11.
The US did not pass a bill or regulation that decreed that all muslim faith or mid-eastern ethnic people register so that we know who they are because some of the people from that region in the world attacked us.
They are people and they still have their rights. Until an individual proves that they cannot be trusted, they are commonly granted trust and given rights as a normal citizen like any other.
Whole categories of people are not rounded up anylonger and forced to forfeit their rights for the better safety of the mass out of fear of a few people's actions to the contrary of the Law.

We tried that once with american-japanese. That did not go well, and we will most likely not be making that mistake again any time soon in our future.

Not as long as there are human rights activists. And in SR, meta-human rights activists.

----------------------------------------------------------------
With the issue you are having regarding mages.
QUOTE (John Campbell)
If you want to run a game where the PCs have little to no magical support, have you tried just asking your players to make mundane characters for this particular game?

This is the first thing I would suggest attempting.

If they still want to play a mage, let them know how it will be different than normal ahead of time so they aren't surprised and disappointed on the spot.

QUOTE (tanka)
You could always play up the enforcement of permits and force ratings.

They cast Stunball Force 6? Well, unless they're in space (in which case, how the frag are they casting at all?), law enforcement is going to hear about it. And then the Forensic Mages show up. Then find out it was <mage in your group>. Then come knocking on his door.

This idea is very valid, and should be done in the first place normally.
You can find that info in MitS, p11.

QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
In an earlier edition they had an option to decrease magic power levels that was simple and effective. Replace all Drain codes with Force and not Force divided by 2. The difference is astounding.

This is a sound idea for a possibility of mechanics down playing.

------------------------------------------------------------------
You can also actually put into effect something that most groups don't.
Sure you've got the Good Karma for more spells and magic stuff.
Can you find a location to learn it and/or buy it though?
And if they can buy it, and find a resource for learning it...how long is that going to take to get the hang of?
High force spells aren't just "whip-out-and-cast-it-cause-you-just-bought-it" spells.
How many times do you think a mage, in the Flavored Shadowrun, has to cast certain spells to finally get the mastery of it?

I can go buy a real powerfull firearm, but that doesn't mean that I can instantly shoot it like a master.

Just because they add points to their skill shouldn't decree that immediately following that moment their character can cast a Force 5 spell.
How long does it take in game for their character (not the points on the sheet of paper) to actually reach that higher level of that skill?
If they've been on run after run, chances are, they haven't had time to sit around twidling with magic they are trying to learn.
Instead, they are most likely using what's immediately effective for the situation.

There are no rules to this as far as I know, so here's a simple way to do it that's not too complicated and gives the desired result.

Availability:
Take the Force of the spell and use that as a TN of availability and have the mage make an Ettiquette Test to see if they can find it when they contact their fixer, or go looking for a magical library that has the spell or other means.
To detemine how long it will take for the fixer to obtain it or them or to find a library that has it, use the Force times 2 and decide on your own if that is in number of hours, days, weeks, or months depending on the spell and the character location in the world.

Learning a Spell:
For learning the spell, have them roll the Drain Test of the spell (with out actually making them suffer the drain). For every two sucesses (2D6 succeed), they reduce the Force by 1 point. Once the Force reaches 0, they have learned the spell.

-----------------
This will still allow the mages to have their "toys", but will slow down the turn-over rate for new spells with high Force.

For character generation, allow only up to Force 2 or 3 for their spells.
This way, they will need to go get spells.
Conskill
It is unlikely, though not out of the realms of possibility, that the UCAS and CAS would pass a bill requiring mages to register as there is a meta-human activist rights association that is fighting hard to keep the rights of mages humane.

Relatively rapidly changes to both the law and constitution are possible when public fear gets a bit high. I agree with is unlikely, which is why I chose a particularly extreme and silly example.

We tried that once with american-japanese. That did not go well, and we will most likely not be making that mistake again any time soon in our future.

But in SR's history, they did, and they kept doing it until the Indians broke out and blew a few mountains up. I'd never consider something too illegal or morally bankrupt for a government in a dystopian setting.

I am not saying this would ever happen within the SR story as written, just that it not too far of a stretch for the setting to head careening down this direction with the right kick from a GM who wants magic curtailed.
Stumps
QUOTE (Conskill)
But in SR's history, they did, and they kept doing it until the Indians broke out and blew a few mountains up.

I stand reminded. You are right there.
RedmondLarry
QUOTE (Stumps)
There are no rules to [acquire and learn a spell] as far as I know, so here's a simple way to do it that's not too complicated and gives the desired result. ...

Check out "Learning A Spell", SR3 page 180 and 181.
Learning a spell of force 8, 10, or 12 typically takes weeks, months, or years.
Stumps
QUOTE (OurTeam)
Check out "Learning A Spell", SR3 page 180 and 181.
Learning a spell of force 8, 10, or 12 typically takes weeks, months, or years.

Ah...thanks.
You know...it says:
"Learning a spell requires a number of days equal to the desired Force....The mimimum time is one day."

They don't say month or years in here.
Am I overlooking something?
If not, then I like my determination of it better.
Jason Farlander
This has been discussed a number of times. Basically, when you get into force 10+ spells, you end up with target numbers of 20+ to learn those spells. Each failed attempt to learn a spell takes a number of days equal to the force, and it can take many, many, many attempts to actually succeed. Hence months or even years.
Stumps
Ah...gotchya.
Thanks, sorry for bringing up old hat.
Jason Farlander
Not a problem. The search function hates me, so I can understand any reluctance to put it to use.
JaronK
QUOTE (Stumps)
[QUOTE=mfb,Nov 10 2009, 12:40 AM]
A comparison to your suggestion would be 9/11.
The US did not pass a bill or regulation that decreed that all muslim faith or mid-eastern ethnic people register so that we know who they are because some of the people from that region in the world attacked us.
They are people and they still have their rights. Until an individual proves that they cannot be trusted, they are commonly granted trust and given rights as a normal citizen like any other.
Whole categories of people are not rounded up anylonger and forced to forfeit their rights for the better safety of the mass out of fear of a few people's actions to the contrary of the Law.

I dunno. We've got concentration camps up and running again, and though many have reason to be there, it's starting to come out that many of the people in the camps were just at the wrong place at the wrong time, and being held without bail or proper legal access. So we're moving in that direction, though not at the full out jail all Arabs stage.

Not to mention, we've had ready to roll concentration camps through the Reagan years, as I recall, though they haven't been used.

JaronK
RedmondLarry
QUOTE (Stumps)
You know...it says:
"Learning a spell requires a number of days equal to the desired Force....The mimimum time is one day."
QUOTE (Stumps)
Ah...gotchya.
Thanks, sorry for bringing up old hat.
Don't feel bad about it at all. Once upon a time there were a few vocal people who had no experience with using the book rules for learning a high force spell try to tell me how to do it. See Years to learn a spell. That was my first New Topic, and provided an interesting, uh, welcome, to these boards. I survived it.
Jason Farlander
YAY! The old forums are available again! Sweet!

Edit: Heh, I still love the fact that no one ever bothered to check my math. Also, Sphynx's first comment on page 2 of that thread was particularly amusing. Ahh, memories.
RedmondLarry
Sphynx's reply is etched in my mind.
Ombre
I don't think there is so much of a problem with magic, as far as game balance is concerned...as for flavor, that's another story.
As someone said, we've played for years with the good old 1st ed rule saying that TN for Drain is the Force of the spell instead of Force/2.
Another way of toning things down is:

Breaking the (IMHO) illogical rule saying that Drain tests should not suffer from Wound modifiers. That's what we've been doing for years: so your PC mage is going to think twice before tossing heavy spells since drain is going to be harder and harder to handle. this snowball effect tends to lead magician to use magic sparingly and not as an universal substitute to more mundane solutions.

If you really want to curb the level of magic activity in your game you can couple this rule with the above -mentioned rule of drain TN indexed on the full Force of the spell instead of 1/2 Force. That should temper your mages and shamans...

Finally don't forget that Magic's been around for more than 50 years now. A lot of things are made with considering this factor in the equation: the majority of cars are equiped with opaque windows, I have decided that Lone Star CN-Patrol 1 don't have any windows at all, they rely on cameras and sensors, to make them more magic-proof, buildings could have the same kind of tricks.
Add security contract with "magic" panic button to call a mage or elemental (as someone said), biofober and FAB..and you've got a lot of tricks in your bag to make life a little bit more difficult for magic wielding people...
DarkShade
not sure what your problem is with mages in general, I have always found that after a few runs sammies are able to put people down faster <mages are far stealthier though>, this unless your players dont hunt for the harder to get weapons/ammo... apds loaded assault rifle beats any damage spell any day of the week.
little tricks like invisibility get into problems with everyday items.. example: megamage with impr invis 10 goes into corp.. gets somehow through security unseen.. then tries to go upstairs..
ok he cannot call the elevator..might alert guards.. hmm.. stairs.. 12 floors up.. winded mage sees then an automatic door, no security, just type every mall & office has.. opens if it detects someone nearby. oops.. will he drop invisibility right there before the cameras? will he wait God knows how long until someone comes by so he can try to sneak through?
invis in a combat: +2 tn is a killer.. & suppression fire will get you. if invisibility bothers you so much simply dont preroll it ask the mage only to roll it when someone looks at him.. every turn any one/group looks at him.. that makes it riskier. & gets rid of the old 2nd edition abuse of putting maxed pool & karma- rerolled impr invis on a lock to be used at will..
other than that the only thing that could bother you is astral scouting.. make FAB cheaper in your game if you want to get rid of that.. or build the really important stuff underground..
DS
Stumps
It's group related guys.
He's saying that, in his group, he would like to see something other than mages because they have dominated (in one form or another) the play.

That's not a rule problem really. That's a group problem.
He's trying to find a way to encourage the players to choose other character types as well as still allow them to be a mage but not let them get up to normal par so quickly.
The reason he doesn't want them up to par so fast isn't because they are broke, it's because he doesn't want them dominating the game again.
So if they move slow, then by the time they reach high levels everyone else will be pretty filled up with their characters and the hope is that things will balance out in the power of the characters in his group.

That's what he was basically getting at as far as I saw it.
Not that he thought that they were broken.
DrJest
Breaking the (IMHO) illogical rule saying that Drain tests should not suffer from Wound modifiers

Interesting. What about Damage Resistance tests? Do you penalise those according to wound modifiers?

I only ask because that's exactly what a Drain test is. It's a damage resistance test against stun damage, just using Willpower instead of Body.
Blaze
The easiest method I've found to deal with mages is to use the SR2 Initiative rules (to show how much attention I pay, I wasn't aware SR3 has a different Initiative system until about six weeks ago). They lose none of their power, but the fact that a moderately cybered goon is going to get one, maybe two passes before them and a high-wired samurai perhaps up to four or five means they have to think about their actions. That and not reducing their actual power gives the opposition a legitimate reason to geek the mage first- assuming they can identify him and get in range (a mage's best friend is his pair of optical binoculars).

-JH.
Ol' Scratch
One thing I experimented with a long time ago was changing Drain to the full Force of the spell, but also applying the Drain Power modifier to the Force of the spell to determine if the Drain would be Physical or Stun.

For example, casting Improved Invisibility [(F+1)M Drain] at Force 6 resulted in an effective Drain Power of 7; thus if your Magic Attribute was only 6 your Drain was Physical.

Not only did this increase the amount of Drain that occured during the game, but it also curbed the Force and Damage Level (since if it takes the Drain Level over Deadly, each Drain Level adds +2 to the Drain Power) of many damaging spells to a level that made it easier for enemies to resist them. Even though Stunbolt and Stunball were both still powerful under those rules, the full Force Drain rule helped limit their Drain Levels nonetheless.

Both rules also helped encourage the use of fetishes, and in my book that's a very good thing. It makes spellcasting a bit easier to notice and adds more opportunities for cool spellcasting descriptions from the players.
Critias
QUOTE (tanka)
The only problem with "geek the mage" is when they have spirits. Especially high-Force ones that like to go free and wreak havoc.

Bah. That's half the fun of geeking the mage. When the mage was alive, you knew the spirit was on the NPC's side. Now that the mage died, there's a chance it won't be!

Fun for everyone!
Tanka
And possibly making it more powerful and hating you if it happened to like that mage.

However, most of our group is mages, so we just take care of the hopped-up Sammie first then round up the mage for a bit of painful interrogation.
tisoz
Sorry to drag this up. It keeps showing on my View New Posts display. I am seeing if I can get it to quit.

It did not work, so no use trying this tactic.
weblife
Mages are not overpowered. They just take special handling. No need to tamper with the rules of it.

We were on a "Take and Hold" mission at an undercover warehouse in the Barrens. The local gang gave our mage some hoots and cussing while he was walking over..

He turns and fries them. Meanwhile, our sniper, in the house, quickly pick off the survivors with her rifle.

We all knew we were in trouble, cuz the fragging signature wouldn't fade for hours. We hid while LS did their investigation, and, as I recall, had to fake a story for the Star.

Fortunately, noone lived who saw, or were too scared of LS to come out and talk of it. Mage got his signature registered though. He'll be traceable by them from now on.

One thing I really dislike are the spirits. Having some weird monster wail on you, and ignore pistols and even shotguns.. thats just scary business. Atleast the IC the Decker goes up against, won't come out and kill off anyone who don't know their computers.

Ruthenium costs a fortune, Invisibility is almost stable for most wizards. Add Movement Power, and maybe Concealment.. and the mage is quickly the most versatile member of any group.

So, yes, if you want a lower powered campaign, and make enemy mages something to be feared, just rule everyone make mundanes. (Actually I really like playing a mundane) - But if magic is allowed, then be certain to grant as much cash as you do Karma, or your Sams are gonna be crying brave tears while the mages take on their roles.
toturi
He turns and fries them. Meanwhile, our sniper, in the house, quickly pick off the survivors with her rifle.

We all knew we were in trouble, cuz the fragging signature wouldn't fade for hours. We hid while LS did their investigation, and, as I recall, had to fake a story for the Star.

Do you know that you can clean up astral signatures?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012