Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Martial Art
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Stumps
Great theory there Doc.
I love the idea.

There's only one little thing in there that I can't quite understand.
And it's not exclusive to only your theory. It's messed up in SR's explination as well.

They basically say that the superconductive pathways pick up bioelectric currents from other parts of the body and insintaneously feed it to the areas that need that power.

That's fine and all. Really. But what the hell is really left to run all the cyberware when you're at 0.01 essence and your body rate is 0.01?

It doesn't add up. The more you put in yourself, the lower power rating you would end up with, or the more your natural body would shrival up and die because it's power is being diverted to the cyberware.

Under your theory, it's all ran on mana that is pulled in through the body. I like the idea. It at least makes more sense than their explination.
But what explination do you offer for the strange event in which the more cyberware one jacks into oneself the less body to channel mana through themselves they have, and thus, less power available.
Ol' Scratch
Look at Essence as being the maximum your body can support without running out of juice for all the essentials. That's why you can run out of Essence without having to be a full conversion borg; a VCR 3 and a single Cyberlimb is enough to put you at Essence 0.
Stumps
Ok, that works.

So, this idea of being a mana powered.
Would there be a virtual astral "blackwhole" where the cyber guy was sapping his energy from?

Somewhat similar to Astral Signatures from casting spells.
Tanka
Doubtful. He's still supporting himself without going over.

Could be another explination as to why Cyberzombies create Background Counts, though. (That and they're unholy pieces of machinery, imbued with magic so powerful that it rips the mana from the current area away in a matter of hours.)
Ol' Scratch
First, no, they're not mana-powered. It's just that the same phenomenon that allows some people to channel mana through their bodies is responsible for increasing their bodies ability to power cyberware. Neither aspect is magical in and of itself, though the same phenomenon is responsible for allowing magicians to do their thing, and implantees to power their implants. That something has the nebulous and less-than-scientific title of "Essence."

Second, yes, exactly... cyberzombies *do* have to rely on magic because their bodies can no longer support the heavy demands all those implants are making on them. The more energy they have to draw in from their surroundings, the more damaged those surroundings become.

The real question is... why don't they just get off their ass and give 'em a battery pack instead. biggrin.gif
Kanada Ten
The real question is... why don't they just get off their ass and give 'em a battery pack instead.

I truly expect the next cyber breakthrough to be power units that further reduce the Essence cost. Hell, if they can power frelling laser weapons with a two kilo battery then they can run a blasted cybertank.
Ol' Scratch
My thoughts exactly...
Stumps
Except that cyberware started off with battery packs and rechargings.
They moved away from that by making "superconductive" materials that link in and re-direct energy from other parts of the body as an alternative to battery packs.
Ol' Scratch
Yup. So it shouldn't be that difficult to reintroduce them for users who would be interested in 'em. I mean, why go through all the insanity required to create Cyberzombies when you can get nearly comparable results with an external battery pack and no worries about cancer or brain damage?
Stumps
*heads to local home-depot to pick up batteries while whistling*

And now...The Cyberzombie Song:

Cyberzombie:
I'm a cyberzombie and that's ok,
I power-up all night, and I shoot all day,

Chorus:
He's a cyberzombie and that's ok,
he powers-up all night, and he shoots all day,

Cyberzombie:
I chop off limbs, I eat my lunch,
I go to the lavatory.
On wednesday's I go shopping and have batteries for tea!

Cybermancy Doctors:
He chops off limbs, He eats his lunch,
He goes to the lavatory.
On wednesday's he goes shopping and has batteries for tea!

Chorus:

Cyberzombie:
I cut off limbs, I skip and jump,
I like to press the button that says "power"
I put on chunky metal and hang around in bars

Cybermancy Doctors:
He cuts off limbs, He skips and jumps,
He likes to press the button that says "power"
He puts on chunky metal and hangs around in bars

Chorus:

Cyberzombie:
I cut off limbs, I swear and kill
Ted Bundy is my God!
I wish I had been a girlie, so I could shoot from my bra!

Cybermancy Doctors:
He cuts off limbs, He swears and kills
Ted Bundy... is his God?

Chorus:
he powers-up all night, and he shoots all day!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012