Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun is dead
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Stumps
First of all, I always felt that Shadowrun basicly tossed magic in with technology so far as the cyberpunk goes (i.e. it explores the idea of individualism in a dystopian society transformed by technology and magic).

That's what I was saying when I said...
Magic is but another means for both sides to use just like the technology. It is the authors extra "Mrs. Dash" to make a different flare of a "cyberpunk" future.
"What if magic came back in a future where the system has taken over?"

It's used "just like the technology". Which means that it too falls into the category of allowing individualism into the characters, but just like technology, it allows the opposition power and control.

Really...cyberpunk isn't about individualism, though it looks that way with it's "one man vs. the system" theme.

It's just that that "one man" represents an entire group of people.
It's much easier to do things this way than to have a multiple amount of a large mass representing a movement or group because the authors can make "one man" identifiable to us easier than a grand number of people.

In fact, that very lack of being able to make a grand number identifiable is exactly the tact that is relied on when representing the opposition. The system is so large and massive in number that there is rarely a way for the audiance to be capable of identifying with it on a human level.
No one goes in and tells the story from the mega-corps executive's perspective flushed out with human relations.

No, we concentrate on the man who represents those whom that executive helps oppress (in the eyes of the story) and readily are identifying with him because we travel through their hardships and wounds, as well as their joys and happiness.
That's what makes them human.
That's what get's us on their side. To be able to see things from their angle.
The angle of the author.
Then they are pitted against a system that comes off hurting our friend, the representative of the movement of a mass embodied in the main character.

This we are against because the system is faceless, and it's reasons are unexplained and when all that happens after you have a personal interaction and explination of their view points with an individual character, we feel that they are unjustly treated and should find vengence in destroying any aspect of the systems structure because it has successfully been alienated to us through the main character since we have not met anyone on a personal level from the systems standing point.
moosegod
I'm really sick of all these "Shadowrun is anime" comments. This may be my intense hatred of everything Japanese showing through, however. Shadowrun IS Shadowrun. That's all it is an all it ever will be.

There may be elements of other genres in Shadowrun. All stories, especially the longer they run, incorporate other tales. One of my friends insists that Akira is one of the major influences for Shadowrun.

My response? Yeah, we have biker gangs and a dirty, gritty world. Sure the schools are screwed up. Some cyberarms look like the one the antagonist had. But I don't see anyone blowing up the center of Tokyo is some quasi-mystical sense. There was no war to screw up the world at large. Elements merge and there are other countries creating stories than Japan.
Stumps
I seriously doubt that Akira had a very large influence in Shadowrun.
It's a great little movie, but I doubt it had time to influence Shadowrun very much.
SR was released in 1989.
Akira was released in 1988.

It takes a little more than a year (if anyones tried) to pull things together well enough to make an RPG.
Would it have had some degree of effect?
Sure. It probably did. I'm sure some rigging flavor might have come out of that just as easily as Tron could have influenced concepts of the cyberspace.

But saying that it was one of the major influences....? I have my serious doubts there.
audun
QUOTE (Stumps)
If you have a guy who hates the system and he's living in a future that's comformist to some degree that the rest of the population has bought into but thinks that the guy is crazy for hating. And this guy feels that it is his duty for the "freedoms of mankind" to make his "truth" known to the "deceived", no matter what his end may be...
Then you have cyberpunk.

AKA revolutionary (or conspiracy theorist if they insist that they know the "truth").
But, the above description has very little to do with SR. Shadowrunners may be well aware of how corrupt the world is, but their sense of duty for the freedoms of mankind are rather limited. I'd like to ask the opposite question of the inital one:
How does one play actual cyberpunk in SR? Where the characters indeed are fighting against the system?
There are traces of this in SR, such as the neo-anarchists, green pirates etc, but the rules and background are made for mission style shadowrunning. I'm thinking more in the lines of
QUOTE (Birdy)
the classical "circumstances force you into a certain action".
Deamon_Knight
Stumps, my point was that Cyberpunk tends to be defined by technology, esp. the technologies that would blend man and machine, matrix, cyberware; and the consequences thereof. I don't feel that SR is defined by its technology. Cybered individuals get a +1 char modifier (sometimes), and (aside from Deus) the Matrix is just the internet.

We agree on what themes are common to Cyberpunk, but I think what defines Cyberpunk is a world remade by technology, and the impact that has had on people. All other themes are IMO, devices for conflict nessecary for storytelling rather than key points of Cyberpunk. SR is not defined by technologies, the majority of MAJOR, world defining events of SR are magic based. Lowyfr Runs Corps, the GGD and the fallout from it eliminate world superpowers, balkanize the globe, and set the stage for most of the events in SR. The effect that Technology has had on the world always seems less. This isn't nessicarily bad or unchangeable, it always what type of game your group wants, but it does seem to explain why some think SR is getting away from cyberpunk, I don't think that was ever the major focus, or really ever addressed beyond there being a Matrix in SR.
Crusher Bob
If the Matrix is just the Internet this implies that Dues is quite likely to really be and FBI agent pretending to be a preteen girl...

One of the themes of cyberpunk I think the discussion has missed so far is the empowering effect of technology on the indicidual. In almost all 'classic' cyberpunk (Neuromancer, Hardwired, etc) the characters are able to challenge the status quo not becuase of some 'magical inheritance' but through skills and technology. This is often re-enforced by the fact that the classic cyberpunk has brough themselves up from 'nothing' (typically starting their lives living on the streets).

Consider the characters able to challenge the status quo in The Lord of the Rings:

Gandalf: Wizard, powerful spirit. Almost none in the world like him.
Aragorn: Last of a line of great kings, wielder of a singularly powerful magic sword.
Frodo: Possesor of the most powerful magical artifact in the world.

When compared to the above fantasy characters, the classic cyberpunk is much more of an everyman. Notice how there are many hackers besides Case (and who in fact may be better hackers than he is), there are no other Gandalfs.

Stumps
That was kind of my point there Crusher Bob.
I think it was missed or mis-understood by others.

What I was trying to say was that technology in SR allows the characters to challenge the status quo, but they are also able to do this with magic.

This is where SR becomes different from your normal brand of cyberpunk.
And honestly...I think that was their point. I don't think they wanted to spit out a game that was just re-hashes of a collection of similar ideas on the same old theme.

I think they wanted to ante it up with magic.

So now, really...if you wanted a more acurate "label" for SR, it would be along the lines of cyber-magicpunk. (punk optional since Fields of Fire.)
Crusher Bob
Actually, magic tends to de-power the individual in SR. In 'normal SR' there are several magical individuals (IEs, Dragons, Horrors) that by the very rules of the world are unchallengeable by the everyman cyberpunk.

Notice how many fans of SR come out to defend how it is actually impossible to defeat the IEs, Dragons, and or Horrors.

In the classic cyberpunk if you have mister high up corp exec tied to a chair, pull out your gun and shoot him, you have a dead exec, the hard part is getting the exec tied to the chair (but this is still possible). In SR 1: you can't get an IE tied to a chair and 2: even if you could, your gun wouldn't wourk, or something.

Compare to ED where the Horrors are at least mechanically beatable (and also 'fictionally' beatable). IIRC the opening fiction of Earthdawn as 'Lorm was an angry troll...' not 'Lorm was the greatest troll warrior to have ever lived' and ends with 'this axe blooded a horror, some day it might slay one'... Notice the appeal to the everyman. Even the mightyest horror in ED Verjigorm (sp?) has stats and can conveivably be killed or severly wounded by a 'mighty band of heroes' (well, probably a quite a few more than a 'band').

In SR, a might band of runners can't even muss a IE's clothes because the IEs are written in as unbeatable. This is imho, why SR is not even heroic fantasy.
audun
QUOTE (Crusher Bob)
Actually, magic tends to de-power the individual in SR.  In 'normal SR' there are several magical individuals (IEs, Dragons, Horrors) that by the very rules of the world are unchallengeable by the everyman cyberpunk.

Notice how many fans of SR come out to defend how it is actually impossible to defeat the IEs, Dragons, and or Horrors.

In the classic cyberpunk if you have mister high up corp exec tied to a chair, pull out your gun and shoot him, you have a dead exec, the hard part is getting the exec tied to the chair (but this is still possible).  In SR 1: you can't get an IE tied to a chair and 2: even if you could, your gun wouldn't wourk, or something.

But it has no effect. A dead corp exec is only a dead corp exec, not a dead corporation. That's the cyberpunk way (quite similar to RL really).

I'm not sure that if I agree with you on IEs and Dragons though. It isn't stated anywhere that it is impossible to defeat IEs, Great Dragons and Horrors, it is simply an opinion. It is of course extremely difficult, but still much easier than overthrowing the power of the megacorps. The main difference between SR and regular CP here is that the Sixth World is run by a conspiracy (or -ies), while in CP it is simply the "system".

Actually, it isn't that difficult to put some of the IE stuff in the conspiracy theory nut bag. Compare it to the Bilderberg conference IRL. According to conspiracy theorists the Bilderberg conference is how "they" run the world. From a more sober perspective it is simply a conference for some of the most influential people in this world. The difference beeing that with the first case, nuking the conference would be a major blow to the conspiracy, in the second it wouldn't have much effect except maybe for an even larger clampdown on "terrorism" and many dead people.
Think of Shadowland as especially prone to the first line of thinking.
Fortune
Whats the comparative Death tolls since the game's inception in 2050?

If I recall correctly (going from memory) ...

2 or 3 Great Dragons?

1 Immortal Elf?

1 AAA Corporation

Doesn't seem like anything is 'unbeatable' in the Sixth World. Difficult, yes, but it can and has been done.
Ol' Scratch
Only when the designers wish them to be.
tjn
Yes, but who brought them down?... it wasn't just any cyberjockey off of Shadowland.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Stumps)
I seriously doubt that Akira had a very large influence in Shadowrun.
It's a great little movie, but I doubt it had time to influence Shadowrun very much.
SR was released in 1989.
Akira was released in 1988.

Not claiming that it is necessarily an influence, but Akira was a manga series for a decent length of time before the movie.

~J
Wounded Ronin
I was born in Japan and I've watched various anime shows since I was really little.

I just have one comment to make about "anime is shadowrun!!"

That comment is: If Shadowrun really were anime, it would be d20 and you'd have assloads of hitpoints.

One example: Look at Noir. Two smallish women repeatedly charge into buildings wielding crappy European made slightly outdated 9mm handguns with small ammo capacities and using the occasional cinematic martial arts move. But, they never have to reload, they never have any trouble decking guys three times their size, and for some reason they always win in the end even when the run directly at multiple opponents behind cover who are waiting for them with SMGs.

Now, what would happen in Shadowrun if you did that? You'd be screwed on stopping power, on range, and on them having cover and you not having cover. You'd be drilled and killed within a turn or two.

The only way that you could have something like that happen in an RPG would be with the d20 system with your millions of hitpoints and with the SMG goons have really bad to-hit rolls.

Another example: There was another anime that was releated in the US as "The Wolf Brigade", I believe. In short, in that anime there are this armored stormtroopers who fire LMGs from the hip and completely rip everyone up because they're just awesome like that. But in Shadowrun, with a non-twinked off-the-shelf basic LMG, you'd get screwed by double uncompenstated recoil and not hit anything. Then the guy you were trying to shoot would plink you with his pistol and hurt you more than you hurt him.

Yet a third example: A basic off-the-shelf katana *cannot* cut through anything, destroying castle walls and tanks, in Shadowrun. In anime, katanas often can. Because they're special.

Kagetenshi
For all your argument from authority, you’ve still mistaken anime for a genre.

~J
Ol' Scratch
Seriously. Anime is a medium, not a genre. It's like saying "Shadowrun is Live Action Film!"

If anything, I'd say Shadowrun and the shows people keep referring to as "anime" had similar influences... but neither inspired the other (except in the cases where they obviously did, like the Shadowrun manga).
Shadow
Anime is not a genre it is a medium. I know Doc just said that but I though it worth mentioning twice.

mfb
eh, it's a medium with a built-in set of common conventions. not all anime uses all of those conventions, but a lot of anime uses a lot of them--enough that you can apply those conventions pretty much across the board to all anime, and be correct eight or nine times out of ten. those conventions include things like katana being badass, tiny people with tiny handguns regularly blowing the bejesus out of larger and better-armed and -armored opponents, catgirls, etcetera.
Kagetenshi
You and I must be watching different anime, then.

Which, incidentally, seriously challenges your point.

~J
mfb
the fact that most people think of the same concepts when they say "anime"--the fact that many people in this discussion are mistaking anime for a genre instead of a medium at all--speaks pretty strongly for my point.
tjn
If people only saw Alf, Full House, or Family Ties clones as representive of American Television, they would also assume the rest of American Television is made up of kooky and off-beat families that utilize a laugh track.

Hasty Generalizations are not a sound foundation to build a point.

There is much anime that is good. Watch Wings of Honneamise.

There is much anime that is horrid. Watch anything with tentacles.

But anime itself, is just a medium.
Ol' Scratch
That, or in their mind they're confusing "anime" with a specific genre of the anime medium.
mfb
the distinction is only important to people who watch a lot of anime. and there is a lot of anime out there that follows those conventions i mentioned--and others--blindly and completely. the anime that doesn't follow them is a definite minority. just because the best anime doesn't tend to doesn't change the fact that the majority of anime does. i mean, come on, there's an entire roleplaying game dedicated to replicating the idiosyncrasies of anime. that really speaks to the validity of viewing most anime as fitting several broad generalities.
Shadow
I completely agree TJN. For instance, if someone only ever watched Episode II: Attack of the clones, they would think Starwars was asinine and stupid.

However most of us have seen the 'real' Starwars and no that it is not, only this latest incarnation.

My first experience with Anime was the classic Robotech. I loved it, but I didn't really see it as anime, just a cartoon that had a semi serious subject matter.

The next thing I saw was Akira, and that too I liked. But the next five or six things I saw were so horrid and disgusting that I didn't watch anything for years, until Ninja Scrolls. Now that was awesome.

My point is that a lot of anime is really horrid, but there are a few gems.
Ol' Scratch
Look at it this way. Live action cinema has a lot of conventions that are the same, too. But that doesn't make Citizen Kane the same as Revenge of the Nerds III: The Next Generation beyond both being filmed in the same general medium.
mfb
yes, and the fact that there are a few gems doesn't magically negate the existence of the huge mass of unadulterated crap. the crap anime is still anime, and it still contributes to the definition of what anime is.

edit: yeah, funk, but anime has a lot more commonly-shared conventions than the live-action industry. there is lots and lots and lots of anime in which katana are the badassest weapons ever made, in which there are catgirls, in which giant robots blow stuff up, etcetera. an analogue in the live-action industry would be exploding cars. if cars wreck, in a live-action movie, they're probably going to explode. it's stupid, it's a hollywoodism, it's unrealistic, but it's still perfectly fair to expect cars to explode in movies, and to say something like "cars always explode in movies". just because there are a few, good films in which cars don't explode, that doesn't mean that "cars explode in movies" isn't a valid generalization.
tjn
The majority of anime doesn't even share the same genre, let alone the same conventions.

Anime is a style of animation. That's it. Neither the gems nor the crap have any contribution to the definition. This does not make the crap or the gems magically dissapear. It's still there but it has no bearing upon the medium of it's conveyance.

Honestly mfb, you're looking at anime with the same perception of cartoons. Cartoons in America have largely had a single genre since the 1920's (however that's beginning to change due primarily to the success of the Simpsons and Cartoon Network).

Watch the Venture Bros., it is a cartoon. But in no way in hell would it ever make Saturday Morning Cartoons.

EDIT: Cars explode in Action movies. Off the top of my head, I can't remember any cars exploding in say... a Romantic Comedy.

Simularly, bad ass katanas are a genre convention of Action anime.
Garland
While I'd normally argue plenty loud in defense of anime, this discussion really just sounds like fixed biases right now.

Can we get back to Birdy's standard assertion that Shadowrun is dead?
mfb
okay, that's fair. let me revise my statement: anime, as a medium, is largely a mix of certain easily-identifiable genres, which are in turn often combined in various ways. this means that when one speaks of "anime", others can make certain basic assumptions by taking into consideration other factors. for instance, if we're talking about robots and i say "anime", you'll probably think of giant mecha anime--Robotech, Gundam, etcetera. talking about anime in conjunction with SR conjures up a number of genres simultaneously--a little GitS:SAC, a little Ninja Scroll, a little [insert anime with catgirls].
Garland
QUOTE (mfb)
anime, as a medium, is largely a mix of certain easily-identifiable genres, which are in turn often combined in various ways.

Much like any identifiable body of work? This makes a generalization about catgirls (or other favorite thing to hate on in anime) about as useful as saying "American movies feature women with big hair and that's stupid." This is a true statement, but only if you narrow your focus down to genres within a body of work. Like movies made in the '80s.

Drats... sucked in to the fray...
mfb
the difference being that anime has more, and more common, shared elements, such as badass katana and giant robots. again, i'll point to the existence of an entire roleplaying game (BESM), available in not one but two game systems, that specifically deals in the elements common to anime. this rather strongly implies that many, many people view anime as having a number of easily-identifiable traits.
Garland
That is a matter of peoples' perception. An interesting project (completely beyond the scope of this discussion) would be to find out just how many examples of anime share these supposedly nigh-omnipresent traits.

Or maybe the perception is being created by what gets popularized here in the states.

Anyway, like I said, any identifiable body of work is going to share traits. Continuing my example above, one starts with the assertion that American movies feature big-haired women. If one looks at the large body of work, they find that this common feature is actually restricted to a specific genre ('80s films, in my example). Sure, there are crossovers, such as the use of a stock character as a figure to be mocked (or whatever) but on the whole, it stays in its genre.

My feeling is that if the totality of anime was examined, it would reveal itself to be just as diverse as American television shows (probably more, if we're just comparing cartoons). I make no claim to onmiscience on the subject of anime, but I have watched a whole hell of a lot of it, and there's more out there than the stereotypes suggest.
hobgoblin
anime is basicly animated manga, and manga have everything for comedy to action to romance to fantasu to anything else. in fact there are more manga topics then there are for your avarage american or european comics (mostly userheroes or comedy). manga can be damn serious in topic...

problem is that most of the stuff that get exported is over the top action and comedy mangas and anime. robotech/macross, dragonball z, cowboy bebop, akira, to name some. therefor one gets a slanted view of the whole thing.

as for the comparison made by wounded ronin of anime being equal to d20 shows more about this pre-judgement of d20 then about anime. i dont want to turn this into a d20 debate (there have been to many lately). but it shows the same generalization about d20 that some in here show about anime.

pure and simle, anime is animated manga. and manga is basicly a special way to draw comics. most of the time with oversized eyes and simple emotional (at times exagerated) indiactions. BESM just captures the part about manga that would be most interesting to play, action, fantasy and sci-fi.
audun
This thread has been seriously hijacked, but who cares.

QUOTE (hobgoblin)
anime is basicly animated manga, and manga have everything for comedy to action to romance to fantasu to anything else. in fact there are more manga topics then there are for your avarage american or european comics (mostly userheroes or comedy). manga can be damn serious in topic...

Hobgoblin, you're generalizations on European comics are far off. European comics is a far different breed than superheroes at least in French/Belgian comics. No point in discussing that here though. I suspect that you've read most of them if I point any titles out to you, you just didn't think of them as European comics. Heavy Metal magazine is good indication of what European comics is all about.

As for the discussion on anime: I suppose one can make generalizations about anime in the same way as one can for Hollywood movies. There's a certain groupthink attached to Hollywood (that some loathe), but it doesn't apply to all movies out of Hollywood. There's a certain groupthink with anime too.
hobgoblin
but those are sold as special interest or collectors items. not general public in the way manga is sold. in fact comics are not fashionable to be reading on say the bus or train unless your a kid or have a special interest in it. therefor the content and tone gets slanted so as to aim for the expected market.

this is allso why the anime imported is mostly aimed for kids or teens. and therefor one gets a slanted view of what anime and manga is about. and that was the point i was trying to make.
Crusher Bob
QUOTE (audun)

I'm not sure that if I agree with you on IEs and Dragons though. It isn't stated anywhere that it is impossible to defeat IEs, Great Dragons and Horrors, it is simply an opinion. It is of course extremely difficult, but still much easier than overthrowing the power of the megacorps. The main difference between SR and regular CP here is that the Sixth World is run by a conspiracy (or -ies), while in CP it is simply the "system".

In both Harlequin adventures, its been stated that the immortal evels are unbeatable by the PCS.
DrJest
but those are sold as special interest or collectors items. not general public in the way manga is sold. in fact comics are not fashionable to be reading on say the bus or train unless your a kid or have a special interest in it. therefor the content and tone gets slanted so as to aim for the expected market.

Wow... where do I start..?

rant mode on.

Probably with Dogwitch, a new (actually... wow, over a year old now smile.gif ) British comic mixing perverse black humour and modern fantasy. This is NOT a kiddy comic wink.gif

Neither was Garth Ennis' Preacher, a bloody trail across America to find a God who has abandoned his Creation. Ennis, of course, was also a writer for a time on that most visceral of comics, Hellblazer (trivia time - it was originally intended to be called Hellraiser, but just before release Barker released his film), along with many of today's top writer.

I might go on to mention Midnight Nation, written by J Michael Straczynski. This was a big seller during its run, as was his tragic tale Rising Stars (link goes to a description of the characters, including the telekinetic who could only move small objects... and was recruited to be an assassin. After all, the carotid artery is only a small object...)

And anyone who could call Warren Ellis - author of, among other things, the insanely perverse [URL=www.hillcity-comics.com/graphic_novels/ new_graphic_novel3283.htm]City of Silence[/URL], a kid's writer seriously needs their head examined.

The popular "4-color" view of comics is so out of date that it just ain't funny.

Rant mode off smile.gif
Wounded Ronin
To address the many posts that followed my last post:

Yes, the term "anime" just means animation. So, strictly speaking, it's a medium rather than a genre.

But, in many cases, mainstream anime (for example, that was really popular with little kids in Japan and then was ported to the US and was really popular with little kids there too) does have certain cliches or conventions to it.

Is there anime that bucks the rule or is genuinely creative and artistic? Of course.

But, the majority of anime that is consumed by the social mainstream is more likely to adhere to certain cliched characters, plots, and circumstances.

I like to compare the mainstream that I'm talking about to Comedia D'ellarte (sp?). It has certain cliched characters, plots, and circumstances, and that's why everyone can just kick back and really enjoy it.

Another way of thinking about it would be if I talked about how "Hollywood Cinema" tends to be cliched in the ways I described above. Are *all* Hollywood movies cliched? No. Are there some that are really creative, unique, and interesting? Sure. But, these interesting Hollywood movies are far outnumbered by the endless action, romantic comedy, comedy, etc. movies that spill out of Hollywood machine.

And nobody go stick the blame on "Well, it's only the crap that gets ported to the US!" A lot of Japanese people don't even watch anime seriously, much less know about the actual creative and sophisticated stuff. The crazy American who downloads fansubs from the internet of stuff that never got released in the US probably knows more about anime than many Japanese people.

Have any of you considered why anime that parodies cliches within other popular forms of anime, like Exel Saga, or Chromartie, for example, works and is funny? Because the most pervasive and mainstream product tends to be very cliched. No one would snort Calpis out of their nostrils when watching Chromartie if the "rebellious martial arts high school youth" tack weren't absolutely played to death and then reran and played some more. If large numbers of people didn't watch that genre again and again and again, then no one would get the joke.

I'm sorry, but the anime that is unique and interesting is to the cliched ocean as independent film making is to mainstream cinema in the US. I've been watching various shows since I was very very young and that's my conclusion after all these years. Call me prejudicial or uninformed if you want, but you'd just be WRONG, because I actually have logged a lot of hours just watching, including many things that were not to the best of my knowledge released in the US.

And you know what? I'm not even anti-anime. I consider myself a fan. I have over 10,000 posts as Blood Soaked Ronin logged on an anime forum, www.poalo.com/forum. So there's nothing to "defend". I'm not saying anime sucks due to the fact that a lot of it is cliched.

I'm really just pointing out that as in anything, the cream of the crop is NOT the same thing as the mainstream or most pervasive. Whether it's martial arts, cuisine, literature, or whatever.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (tjn)
If people only saw Alf, Full House, or Family Ties clones as representive of American Television, they would also assume the rest of American Television is made up of kooky and off-beat families that utilize a laugh track.

Hasty Generalizations are not a sound foundation to build a point.

There is much anime that is good. Watch Wings of Honneamise.

There is much anime that is horrid. Watch anything with tentacles.

But anime itself, is just a medium.

WINGS OF MAYO! AHHHHhHHHHH!

I actually *like* tentacle anime. I already related how in one SR game I actually had tentacle monsters.

Legend of the Overfiend has tentacles but I really enjoyed it for the characters. I'm not even joking or being ironic.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (DrJest @ Nov 18 2004, 08:57 PM)

Wow... where do I start..?

rant mode on.

Probably with Dogwitch, a new (actually... wow, over a year old now smile.gif ) British comic mixing perverse black humour and modern fantasy. This is NOT a kiddy comic wink.gif

Neither was Garth Ennis' Preacher, a bloody trail across America to find a God who has abandoned his Creation. Ennis, of course, was also a writer for a time on that most visceral of comics, Hellblazer (trivia time - it was originally intended to be called Hellraiser, but just before release Barker released his film), along with many of today's top writer.

I might go on to mention Midnight Nation, written by J Michael Straczynski. This was a big seller during its run, as was his tragic tale Rising Stars (link goes to a description of the characters, including the telekinetic who could only move small objects... and was recruited to be an assassin. After all, the carotid artery is only a small object...)

And anyone who could call Warren Ellis - author of, among other things, the insanely perverse [URL=www.hillcity-comics.com/graphic_novels/ new_graphic_novel3283.htm]City of Silence[/URL], a kid's writer seriously needs their head examined.

The popular "4-color" view of comics is so out of date that it just ain't funny.

Rant mode off smile.gif

I would argue that the readership of boring and stupid 4 frame newspaper comics is much huger than the readership of things like Preacher. Stupid 4 frame newspaper comics with their jokes that got stale a decade ago are more representative, therefore, of mainstream comics.

People who even know what Preacher *is* tend to know a lot more about comics of all kind that members of the general population.

And so I would argue that saying "American comic strips need new jokes" is a true statement because "American comic strips" will apply a lot more to high volume newspaper strips than they will to the work of Neil Gaiman and his super duper graphic novels of specialized interest or someone like that.
audun
QUOTE (Crusher Bob)
In both Harlequin adventures, its been stated that the immortal evels are unbeatable by  the PCS.

Didn't know that. Though compare the new write-up of Tir Na Og in SoE compared to the old one. I believe SR3 is heading in another direction where the über-element of IEs and GDs are downplayed. Harlequin are 1st and 2nd edition, so I'd like to argue that SR3 is different. To paraphrase a barbarian with a sword and a loincloth: If it bleeds, it can die!

BTW: in reply to the original topic of this thread. Aren't there some rules for playing black ops in SRComp? And there are rules for playing agents in SOTA2064 which fits quite well. Underground for mobster-based campaigns. Kind of covers it doesn't it.

As for the anime hijack of this topic: Anime is for kids, hentai is for adults silly.gif
Ed Simons
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
If Shadowrun really were anime, it would be d20 and you'd have assloads of hitpoints.

Actually, D20 mechanics do not work like any anime I've seen. There is no gradual wearing down of people, like the Hit Point mechanic, among other things.

QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
Look at Noir.

It sounds like they're a couple very powerful physads.

QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
The only way that you could have something like that happen in an RPG would be with the d20 system with your millions of hitpoints and with the SMG goons have really bad to-hit rolls.

Actually, it's much better modeled by having a large Combat Pool and using it for Dodge Tests.

QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
There was another anime that was releated in the US as "The Wolf Brigade", I believe.  In short, in that anime there are this armored stormtroopers who fire LMGs from the hip and completely rip everyone up because they're just awesome like that.  But in Shadowrun, with a non-twinked off-the-shelf basic LMG, you'd get screwed by double uncompenstated recoil and not hit anything.

So why are you assuming the characters in the show have "non-twinked off-the-shelf basic LMG's"? It's obviously a very cinematic setting.

QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
Yet a third example:  A basic off-the-shelf katana *cannot* cut through anything, destroying castle walls and tanks, in Shadowrun.  In anime, katanas often can.  Because they're special.

Actually, I can't think of a single anime where a "basic off-the-shelf katana" can perform like that in the hands of an ordinary person. When you see a character slice through rocks, trees, etc. it's because the person is special.
Bigity
In Record of Lodoss Wars the beserker guy swings his two-handed sword through...earth and rock. Nobody is that special.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Ed Simons)
There is no gradual wearing down of people, like the Hit Point mechanic, among other things.

Hit Points can manifest as you simply not getting hit until you get to 0 HP, where you just keel over -- until then you're just dodging and not getting a scratch, but you're still losing HPs. Or it could work like in action movies, where you pick up a scratch here and a bruise there until you suddenly get hit in the chest.

I've been lucky enough not to have to watch a lot of action anime, so I have no idea how heroes tend to get wounded/killed in it, if indeed they ever do. But you would not necessarily witness any gradual wearing down, just a breaking point.

QUOTE (Ed Simons)
Actually, it's much better modeled by having a large Combat Pool and using it for Dodge Tests.

Even if you've got the spells Deflect and Combat Sense on at a ridiculously high force, and a crapload of Combat Pool from other sources, adding up to something like 35 total CP, dodging incoming SMG-fire from a large number of shooters is practically impossible unless their TNs are really high, or you've got hundreds of Karma Pool per CT of incoming fire.

Sec Goon with a HK227 on BF-mode firing at a running target at under 10 meters: TN 5. Skill 5 (SMG/HK227-3/5) + 5 CP (Q4I3W3) for 10 dice, averages 3.3 successes. Second burst: Skill 5 vs 8, averages 0.7 successes. The Dodge TN is 5, so you need an average of 12 dice to Dodge one goon.

Even with the practical maximum CP anyone can have in SR, unless you also have an unlimited Karma Pool you are completely fucked when 5 or more people fire at you from good positions in decent conditions at close range. If you remove the spells from the equation, you can't Dodge worth a damn and your only chance of survival is craploads of armor and Body.

Compared to D20 where it is trivial to crank the DC for the goons to hit you to 20 or above and with HPs in the triple digits you won't be too bothered if they do manage to hit.
hobgoblin
but when your seeing those values your looking at the equivalent of 20+ karma pool SR runners.
Austere Emancipator
Yeah, and you'd need that much Karma to get to the ridiculously high 35 CP I used as an example. 20 KP wouldn't help you out for more than a few Phases against 5 goons with no initiative-boosting ware. Whereas in D20 with DC 20 to hit them and 100+ HP, you could stand there in the open for minutes.
Garland
QUOTE (Ed Simons)
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
There was another anime that was releated in the US as "The Wolf Brigade", I believe.  In short, in that anime there are this armored stormtroopers who fire LMGs from the hip and completely rip everyone up because they're just awesome like that.  But in Shadowrun, with a non-twinked off-the-shelf basic LMG, you'd get screwed by double uncompenstated recoil and not hit anything.

So why are you assuming the characters in the show have "non-twinked off-the-shelf basic LMG's"? It's obviously a very cinematic setting.

Well, actually, no. The movie was probably intended as more realistic than cinematic.

I kind of assumed their rock-steady aim had something to do with the "protect suits." They never quite come out and say it, but it seems like it's supposed to be powered armor.

And by the way, does the MG-42 really count as an LMG?

Jin-Roh site w/ stuff on the guns
Toxic_Waste
QUOTE (Birdy @ Nov 15 2004, 01:18 PM)
No, not as a game system or game universe. But the classic "Cyberpunk" idea of "the desperate few against the system" always worked better in novels than in role playing. Most scenarios start with "you are contacted by your fixer" instead of the classical "circumstances force you into a certain action".

While the sourcebooks, the germans even more than the US ones in my option, still stress this "struggle against the evil corporations and the corrupt political minions" (laudable even IRL) the adventures and most scenario descriptions on the boards show a different view.

So maybe it's time for a new approach to "Shadowrunning", one less inspired by "Neuromancer", "Snowcrash" and "Hardwired" and more by "Oceans Eleven", "Foolproof" and "Top Job". Let the players be professional criminals, maybe even a team. Or freelance security consultants like "Bugs" Or even agents of the "This watcher will self-destruct in 10 seconds" variety.

The question is:

+ What new rules are needed (Equipment, Money pools etc)

+ What problems come out of this?

+ How "legit" (SIN etc) can the characters get?

Any comments?

Birdy

The corporations stopped being evil a long time ago. Now they're only interested in the bottom line : nuyen.gif

No more evil corps, no more crusading runners. Now you kill overgrown ants and run from Ragnarok bent lunatics. Just can't get no good evil corps these days.

As for the new approach... I've often defend the "self hired" Ronin, Heat, The Usual Suspects or Ocean's Eleven team. It does however make it hard on the GM, who has to custom tailor adventures for you.

Ocean's Eleven has another in-built problem with it, a rather unsolvable one. My team once made off with 4 million nuyen, after a rather nasty triple cross on the Mob & the Yakuza.

"Now we have 4 million nuyen, what do we do with it?"
"Retire?"

Once you're _that_ rich, there's no point in running. Either you turn into a fixer yourself, to stay in the biz and use your knowledge, or you stay in the biz because of the adrenalin. Which is, I believe, a rare reason for a character to become a runner in the first place.

Actually, my team had to join Ares for some face changing and money washing, but that's besides the point wink.gif

New rules? None. The system is perfectly capable of handling everything. It's just another shadowrun, except this time you're doing it on your own. And the payoff is monumental.

I don't see how being "legit" or not is relevant for such a job.
Kagetenshi
As I may or may not have already said, it's unrealistic for a team to retire on as little as 4 million apiece if they managed to make that much. Keep in mind that a lot of their retirement cred is going to go to keep their past from catching up with them rather painfully.

~J
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Garland @ Nov 19 2004, 01:12 PM)
QUOTE (Ed Simons)
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)

Well, actually, no. The movie was probably intended as more realistic than cinematic.

I kind of assumed their rock-steady aim had something to do with the "protect suits." They never quite come out and say it, but it seems like it's supposed to be powered armor.

And by the way, does the MG-42 really count as an LMG?

Jin-Roh site w/ stuff on the guns

While I'm not familiar with the cartridges that it says that the rifle used, the page gives the impression that they are beefy and powerful cartridges.

Generally speaking when you fire beefy cartridges in full auto from the hip, your shots scatter very far apart.

That's if they were using the *rifle*. But the page also give the impression that they were using the machine gun version, and that description reads very much like the description of an LMG.

The weapon par excellence of the Panzer; first modern machine-gun, it is a phenomenal weapon due to its reliability and its powerful ammunition (that of the Mauser rifle, but "pumped up" a little). A wonder or a horror, it depends on the viewpoint... 900 to 1300 one-way tickets to hell per minute in automatic mode, bands of 50 cartridges which can be linked together at will for a continuous fire, no light shielding or bulletproof jacket is proof against it... the MG-42 is something mind-boggling. It is raw power for its user, though that is not the word... for a machine-gun we say "its servant", and for the MG-42 that is fully justified. It inspires terror to its targets. It enraptures its servant with its destructive capabilities. It has it's own personality, it is a kind of god of war, or a mass sacrificial tool on the altar of Mars, who claims his harvest of mortals. Since the second world war this weapon has become a kind of legend. Not really a good fairy, no, but rather a kind of mythical beast, a scarecrow for young recruits which frightens still more those who have really known it. It is a kind of ogre, or rather of dragon... the weapon produces a colossal and terrifying (assuming you are still alive) jet of flame caused by a sytem of bolting/unbolting by recoil amplification (explained below). We see examples of this several times in Jin-Roh.

But first, a little History... in the interval between the wars, the Germans very quickly resumed their weapons research. In spite of controls, they succeeded in concluding their research, either with the support of the USSR which welcomed them, or with underhanded ruses, such as giving to a weapon designed at the beginning of the Thirties the name MG-13, just to fool foreign politicians (who did not ask better than to trade with Germany) into thinking that the weapon was from before the war. By the way, it is probably this weapon which was used in the live films of Mamoru Oshii, "Kerberos" and "Akai Megane". This device had performances equivalent to those of weapons 3 times heavier (the real machine-guns of the first world war) but also had an enormous problem. To make it simple and light, the weapon was equipped with a charger of only 25 shots... at 550 rounds/minute, the gunners were reloading all the time.

Based on the same mechanism, very close in aspect, the MG-34 (the one used in the manga...) uses bands of 25, 50 or 100 cartridges, which moreover can be linked together on late models. The weapon is very powerful, precise, stable, rather reliable... but not enough; in the frozen mud of the East Front, the MG-34 is useless. Moreover, as a weapon conceived in a time of peace, it uses expensive manufacturing methods, machined steel, specialized personnel. This weapon, powerful but too complex and fragile for the fields of operations of the East, needed to be replaced on that terrain by a more reliable, less expensive and easier to produce weapon.

With a disconcerting ease, the German engineers took up the challenge with the MG-42.

According to W.H.B Smith, in his work "Small arms of the world" published in several versions from 1943 to 1950 (terrific book!), the reason of this success is that the designers voluntarily ignored all the traditional precepts which seemed impossible to circumvent for this type of weapon.

Whereas it was thought that only machined steel (and quite thick in addition) could be used for a weapon firing powerful ammunition at high rate, they largely used stamped plate (all the carcass of the weapon, the caps, and a number of internal parts). It is thus less expensive, faster to produce, and requires less heavy tools.

Rather than ancient and traditional systems, like "piston-springs-rod and there you go with another piston, and still more springs, and a super part really tough to machine", the weapon uses the recoil to function, with a brilliant system... the gases of the cartridge, when they leave the mouth of the gun from where they have expelled the bullet, slacken, and there, very glad to get out of this not very roomy place, they don't realize that the end of the gun is enclosed in a sleeve of sheet metal (very visible at the tip of the weapon). Running up against the sleeve pierced with a hole just wide enough for the passage of the bullet, the gases go up in pressure and push the barrel back by pressing on its front section. Since the barrel is not asking for better, with the recoil from the ammunition which is already significant, that makes a simple mechanism where there are 2 sources of push to make the barrel move back. The eventual residues of mud, sand, earth or various materials which could have velleities of stopping this movement by getting into the mechanism are pulverized without even slowing down the weapon. The barrel while moving back pushes the cylinder head which remains locked to it until at the end of its course a very simple system (rollers) unbolts it... in its motion, the cylinder head will eject the worn casing and move back until the spring placed behind it, in the butt, returns it with force to the fore where it will pick up a fresh cartridge, push the barrel forward, lock itself to it and fore the cartridge whose gases, when leaving the gun, etc...

And all that at 1300 shots/minute, due to the simplicity of the mechanism and the power of the ammunition. Shooting one of the best ammunitions of war of its time, the 8X50 IS (8mm Mauser, also known as 7.92 Mauser), the MG-42 is an excellent anti-aircraft machine-gun; with its bipod, it can be served by one or two men, and on heavy tripod it becomes an excellent heavy machine gun, very precise.

The weapon, simple and therefore extremely reliable, is easy to disassemble, reassemble and maintain... the fast barrel change system is brilliant because simple and very fast. One can see it in Jin-Roh when Fusé cleans his weapon. Rather heavy (13 kg), its greatest weakness comes from its greatest strength: its high rate of fire. In combat, you have to feed the beast, greedy in ammunition... and frequently change its barrel in the case of sustained fire because this one becomes too hot. The fast barrel change system becomes very importance then, but this moment is nevertheless the only one where one can attack an MG-42 (without tank or plane support).

Feared by the Allied soldiers of the last war, its noise alone (according to the witnesses, like that of a fabric being torn or a drum roll accelerated and amplified a thousand times) was sometimes the cause of movements of panic. In Italy, a pair of MG-42 providing a crossfire in a mountain pass stopped whole American columns... the only means of eliminating them being to call upon aviation.

This is an extreme and fascinating weapon, for it is undoubtedly among the most successful machines of destruction ever conceived and used... and moreover usable by a single man! In this individual weapon configuration, the MG 34 and 42 often use bands contained in sheet metal drums, simple or double, fixed on the side of the weapon.

As a side note, the American army copied the mechanism of this weapon for their famous M60 (Rambo's gun), which doesn't shoot quite as fast, bullets being expensive for the American taxpayer... And as their ammunition of the time was too long for this mechanism, they created a new type of ammunition, adopted it, imposed it on NATO, and today if the French, the Belgians, the English, etc... use the 7.62 Nato caliber, it's because the Americans (and, let's be frank, the rest of the World as well) would have done almost anything to adopt this devastating German machine.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012