Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stupid Question about Improved Invisability
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Dashifen
Gah. I think I've just decided to move invis. and imp. inivs. from indirect illusion spells to manipulation spells and call it a house rule. That's the way my groups have always played them anyway, judging by the discussion above. Any thoughts?
Ol' Scratch
It would only be Improved Invisibility, then. A Manipulation spell that only affects living beings but not cameras doesn't make a lot of sense. The Drain Code probably needs to be recalculated as well.

Major Physical Change (base Serious drain)
Physical Spell (+1 Power)
Sustained Spell (+1 Power)

That's +2(S).
Moon-Hawk
I agree. I've always thought improved invisibility was more of a manipulation spell.
Herald of Verjigorm
Everything can be seen as a manipulation spell. Regular invisibility would be a control manipulation (similar to influencing someone into believing that you don't exist).
Moon-Hawk
Indeed. The effects of most spells can be obtained through different classes of spells. But it's usually much more efficient (in terms of TN and drain) to accomplish a desired effect by using one class over another.
GaiasWrath8
Holly Hell, What have I started. I thought this would be a quick question but it propted 5 pages of responces in a 12 hour time frame.

So have we decided yet? LOL.

The only reason this has come up is that the mage cast improved invisabiity on himself. The troll wants to shoot the fire sprinkelers to cause a distraction. I just needed to know if this would show the mage or not. smile.gif

Anyways, thanks for all the thoughts in this thread. I guess it just comes down to a house rule at this point.
Moon-Hawk
It always does. sarcastic.gif
Fortune
Assuming any observers failed to resist the spell, at most the sprinkling water might cause any observers to make a Perception check to notice something unusual. The Mage would still be invisible, even if the Perception check succeeds, but if successful, the observers would be aware of something and could target the Mage with a +8 TN.
GaiasWrath8
Done and sold, thanks. I will use that.

And then there was this argument about a dwarf...If an invisable person picks up an item, does the item (or dwarf) become invisable or is it floting in the air?
Fortune
On that, I would rule that the Dwarf would be visible, but if he were put in a backpack worn by the invisible character, he would disappear. biggrin.gif
John Campbell
QUOTE (GaiasWrath8)
Done and sold, thanks. I will use that.

And then there was this argument about a dwarf...If an invisable person picks up an item, does the item (or dwarf) become invisable or is it floting in the air?

It's entirely house rule territory.

I rule that things that weren't part of the subject at casting time don't automatically become part of the subject, so the dwarf would remain visible and look as if he were floating around, and if the invisible troll were to stick him inside his invisible backpack, could still be seen through the backpack. I could maybe be talked into allowing the caster, if present, to add things to the spell by willing it, similarly to moving the effect zone of a spell.

Others rule similarly on things not being automatically added to the spell, but treat the invisibility as a sort of super-ruthenium, so that the dwarf would be visible if just picked up, but could be concealed inside an invisible backpack. (That one doesn't really seem internally consistent to me. How does the invisibility know when something invisible should hide stuff behind it and when it shouldn't? It seems like it takes a judgement call on the spell's part, and spells aren't supposed to be that smart.)

Others rule that the dwarf becomes part of the subject and thus invisible when the troll picks him up.

Others rule that the dwarf is a separate subject and thus isn't affected by the troll's invisibility no matter what because he's a living being, but would allow inanimate objects the troll picked up to become invisible. (I don't think anyone's taken this position in this thread, but I've seen it before.)
draco aardvark
headed back 'tward the earlier posts.... nyahnyah.gif

since both Ultrasound and Astral Perception do not perceive the perp visually in the first place, neither perception is effected by the spell.

I'd say that Ultrasound vision is vision, it's installed into your eyes, and the cyberware then translates what it precieves to neural impulses which are sent to the vision part of your brain. So although it uses sound instead of light, the person using it still "sees" with it, rather than "hearing" with it. (though what if threre is ultrasound? someone using a dog whistle, It'd appear as a really bright light I guess!)

Ultrasound can be used to help detect Invisibility subjects because it's not sight-based even though it's built into eyes (for whatever retarded reason).

The reason I see it as being built into the eyes is because the human brain builds the world around us with sight, not hearing. Bats have developed their worldview from sound, and racoons from touch, but we'd have to rewire our brain for echolocation if the cyberware didn't treat it as vision.
Da9iel
Yes, ultrasound can put images directly to the eyes, but as can be seen with cameras, II (and, I believe, invisibility) creates a image (after a fasion). Ultrasound picks up sound not images, so it is not fooled whether or not the user paid essence for it.
John Campbell
Invisibility and other sight-based illusions don't affect ultrasound vision. The ultrasound vision rules in M&M say that straight out, and invisibility is provided as the example.

You get a +4 TN for actions directed at someone you can see only via ultrasound, presumably because its resolution is poorer than regular vision.

Sound-based illusions do affect ultrasound vision.

I don't think this supports the "it's all in your head" theory.
Ol' Scratch
Well, except for the whole "affects the mind of viewers" bit, eh? ohplease.gif
John Campbell
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
Well, except for the whole "affects the mind of viewers" bit, eh? ohplease.gif

Which statement is in reference to the mana spell, Invisibility. Improved Invisibility also affects technological sensors, which don't have minds to affect.
Ol' Scratch
Note the word "also." Not "this spell is completely different as a Physical spell." It means that it -- pay attention now -- ALSO can affect technological sensors IN ADDITION to affecting the minds of its targets. Amazing!

What it most certainly doesn't say is "this spell alters the subject of the spell so that they become physically invisible." If it did, there wouldn't be any Spell Resistance Test at all because the spell never affects anyone except the subject. Astonishing!
Da9iel
But I think it is fair to say that this spell does not alter the minds of the observers, only the light receptors. If it was minds, cameras would be immune (regardless of the physical/mana category).

And I know what the fluff says, but it's not the first time common sense had to step up to the plate. Eh?
Shadow
No it alters the minds. It says "the mind of the viewer". It's an illuision.
Da9iel
It's the camera I'm having trouble with. Help me out here. Mind of the camera? What mind? How?
Ol' Scratch
It also affects cameras. The spell reaches out and erases the data from the film or whatever else it needs to do to erase the image in addition to its regular ability. How does it work exactly? Who the frell knows? It's magic.
toturi
The only camera that it cannot touch is the one with the astral film.
Da9iel
Then why doesn't it work on ultrasound vision?

Or even an ultrasound camera type thing?
Ol' Scratch
Because, despite the pseudo-visual feedback it gives, it's inherently a sound-based sense. Invisibility only affects sight.
Da9iel
And therefore it is easier to rationalize the effects of invisibility by saying it effects the photo-receptors (eyes and lens) instead of merely considering the mind. If it was truly a mind effect, the image produced by ultrasound would be altered since it is perceived by the mind and and by videotape as a visual image regardless of the sensing medium.
Ol' Scratch
Whatever. Explain it however you need to in your game. Be default, it's a magical spell that creates an illusion in your mind of the scene you're seeing, but altered so that the subject isn't there.
Jason Farlander
In regards to the ultrasound vision thing, heres my take.

Imagine that you have combination of an ultrasound emitter, an ultrasound detector, and processor that converts the data recieved by the detector into an image file, all of which exists as an independent, external device. The improved invisibility spell does not fool this device, since it is not using visual detection, and so it succeeds in recording the sonic patterns and transcoding them into the image. Imagine, further, that rather than saving the image as a file, you have a radio transmitter attached to the external ultrasound processor, and it beamed the transcoded information back to a display screen a half-mile away in real time. You would be able to see the image it produced, because it was an image compiled from data that was not affected by the invisibility spell.

Now, imagine that this whole contraption AND the display screen are small enough to fit inside your eye, and that, since it's in your eye, you can replace the radio transmitter with a tiny fiberoptic cable linking the processor to the display screen. Oh yeah, thats what the Ultrasonic vision eye modification is!

If you agree that you would be able to see the image produced by the external device on that display screen (and you most definitely should), then you shouldnt have any problems with the idea of being able to see the exact same image produced in the exact same way by the cybernetic version. The processor in this case is the part that would be affected by the spell, but since the processor is recieving sonic information, it is not fooled.
John Campbell
Note the word "also."  Not "this spell is completely different as a Physical spell." It means that it -- pay attention now -- ALSO can affect technological sensors IN ADDITION to affecting the minds of its targets.  Amazing!

Except that it's completely different as a Physical spell. That was outlined earlier in the section. It's not reiterated in every individual spell description, but it shouldn't need to be.

QUOTE (SR3 @ p.195)

Mana-based illusion spells affect the mind and are ineffective against technological viewing systems like cameras. Physical illusion spells create actual sensory input and are effective against such systems.

In other words, mana-based illusions, like Invisibility, affect the mind. Physical illusions, like Improved Invisibility, work completely differently. They create actual sensory input.

Amazing what you can discover if you pay attention, huh?

What it most certainly doesn't say is "this spell alters the subject of the spell so that they become physically invisible."  If it did, there wouldn't be any Spell Resistance Test at all because the spell never affects anyone except the subject.  Astonishing!

Astonishing, indeed.

So, hey, if you're done attacking positions that no one holds, I'm over here, with "the spell creates actual sensory input at the target's eye". Y'know, like the rules say that it does.
Spookymonster
Just to murk up the waters some more, there's also that section in the Illusion category description that specifically mentions that they can 'manipulate energy', despite the fact that they don't fall under the catch-all Manipulation category.

[edit]
BBB, p. 195:
"Indirect illusion spells manipulate energy to create an illusionary image or sound or other sense-based effect, fooling the senses."
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (John Campbell)
In other words, mana-based illusions, like Invisibility, affect the mind. Physical illusions, like Improved Invisibility, work completely differently. They create actual sensory input.

Except, yanno, how it doesn't. Your inability to understand the English language not withstanding.

Amazing what you can discover if you pay attention, huh?

Yes. It is.

So, hey, if you're done attacking positions that no one holds, I'm over here, with "the spell creates actual sensory input at the target's eye". Y'know, like the rules say that it does.

I see you're proving your inability to read yet again. "Affects the minds of its viewers" is pretty fragging clear. But that would require paying attention, huh?
Herald of Verjigorm
See Da9iel, we can still have endless wars over Improved Invisibility. Agreeing on how to handle the rules doesn't stop the conflict, just changes it to same one that's been battled dozens of times in the past until one side gets bored or forgets their password.
John Campbell
QUOTE (John Campbell)

Except, yanno, how it doesn't. Your inability to understand the English language not withstanding.

If you're through violating the posting guidelines, would you like to actually make a point? "No it doesn't!" isn't a particularly good counter to a rules cite that says that it does, even when coupled with a personal attack.

I see you're proving your inability to read yet again.

Oh, I guess you're not through violating the PG. Well, carry on, carry on.

"Affects the minds of its viewers" is pretty fragging clear.  But that would require paying attention, huh?

"Physical illusion spells create actual sensory input" is pretty fragging clear, too. And I'm paying enough attention to notice that you left out the subject of that sentence, which is Invisibility, not Improved Invisibility.

"Physical illusion spells create actual sensory input." Improved Invisiblity is a physical illusion. It is not Invisibility, despite sharing portions of the spell description with the mana version. Since the part of the Invisibility spell description that you're assuming to carry over to Improved Invisibility contradicts other text regarding the difference between physical illusions and mana illusions, it might be worth considering that it's a bad assumption.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012