Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Eyeball grenades
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Buzzed
If you were a GM, and I asked if I could install the cranial bomb into one of my cybereyes, would you allow it?

The theory is I could detatch my cybereyeball, press on the retina to activate the detination sequence and throw it, roll it, or whatever to use as a very weak grenade.

Actually it would be useless in combat, but it could be used to blast a doorlock, break a restraint, or for whatever else that would require a close range low power blast.
Spookymonster
eek.gif
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Buzzed)
If you were a GM, and I asked if I could install the cranial bomb into one of my cybereyes, would you allow it?

The theory is I could detatch my cybereyeball, press on the retina to activate the detination sequence and throw it, roll it, or whatever to use as a very weak grenade.

Actually it would be useless in combat, but it could be used to blast a doorlock, break a restraint, or for whatever else that would require a close range low power blast.

rollin.gif

OMG that's funny. Why not just a body compartment with some C12 in it?
Teulisch
so if i poke you in the eye, you head will explode? cool! *poke poke*
Buzzed
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)
QUOTE (Buzzed @ Nov 22 2004, 11:13 AM)

rollin.gif

How many security forces confiscate your cybereyes after you are scanned for weapons, explosives, and cyberware?
Tanka
QUOTE (Buzzed)
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll @ Nov 22 2004, 02:21 PM)

rollin.gif

How many security forces confiscate your cybereyes after you are scanned for weapons, explosives, and cyberware?

If they detect explosives on you and find out it's in your cybereye, pretty much all of them. (That or turn you away on the spot.)
Buzzed
QUOTE (tanka)
QUOTE (Buzzed @ Nov 22 2004, 01:28 PM)

rollin.gif

If they detect explosives on you and find out it's in your cybereye, pretty much all of them. (That or turn you away on the spot.)

But are cranial bombs large enough to be detectable?
GrinderTheTroll
Yeah I doubt they'd let you through if they detected something but couldn't either get it out of you or physically find it.

I had a runner that wanted to creat a whole line of "combat darts" that would function similar to regular grenades but on a more limited scale. My argument was based on their limited size and in order to maintain their aerodynamic properties, he be making annoyances more than something combat worthy. I'd argue the same here considering how small your eyeball is unless it was solid C12 or something of the sort.
Tanka
QUOTE (Buzzed)
QUOTE (tanka @ Nov 22 2004, 02:30 PM)

rollin.gif

Chemsniffer, Buzzed. Just beause you can't see it doesn't mean you can't tell it's there.
Austere Emancipator
The average human eye has a volume of about 5.5 cm^3. C-4 has a density of 1.63kg/m^3, and most plastic explosives are at about the same. Assuming that C-12 has the same density as C-4, you could fit 8.965 grams of C-12 inside the eyeball. This would have the Damage Code of 1D, -12/meter. Not a whole lot of boom.
Buzzed
QUOTE (tanka)
QUOTE (Buzzed @ Nov 22 2004, 01:31 PM)
QUOTE (tanka @ Nov 22 2004, 02:30 PM)

rollin.gif

Chemsniffer, Buzzed. Just beause you can't see it doesn't mean you can't tell it's there.

That is exactly what I was referring to. Big enough to be sniffed out.

The book describes it as a very tiny amount of explosives attatched to the spinal cord at teh base of the brain. So I interprit it as perhaps the size of the black tip of a pencil or a baby asprin.

Is that big enough for a chem sniffer to detect?
lorthazar
Actually yes. It gets even worse if they have dogs.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
The average human eye has a volume of about 5.5 cm^3. C-4 has a density of 1.63kg/m^3, and most plastic explosives are at about the same. Assuming that C-12 has the same density as C-4, you could fit 8.965 grams of C-12 inside the eyeball. This would have the Damage Code of 1D, -12/meter. Not a whole lot of boom.

Still might be good to ruin a physical lock or something.
Ol' Scratch
That's why you ignore the rules for Plastic Explosives and instead use the ones for Cranial Bombs, just like he mentioned in the first post.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
That's why you ignore the rules for Plastic Explosives and instead use the ones for Cranial Bombs, just like he mentioned in the first post.

Oh it's the "push a button and it acts like a grenade" part that I didn't think was useful.
Austere Emancipator
My post was supposed to be in direct reply to GrinderTheTroll's about size limitations and how it just might be a worthwhile weapon if it were packed full of C-12. If wouldn't be. It might work as a Cranial Bomb, because Cranial Bombs (the Area kind) obviously use Unobtanium-235 explosives.
krishcane
True about the Unobtanium-235... however, it's worth noting the C-4 is so popular not because it's the biggest badest explosion ever (per gram), but because it's a pretty good explosion that is also safe to handle -- non-toxic to skin contact, won't go off due to impact (important for troops carrying it), and won't go off due to normal heat (even campfires).

But if you're just a crazy mofo such that you would stick a bomb in your eye.... well, there are even more unstable chemicals out there. I note "Pentolite" listed on one web page with a detonation velocity of 25,000 feet per second, compared to C-4's lazy 9,000 fps. smile.gif

--K
KarmaInferno
I am suddenly reminded of David Hasselhoff.

Augh.

frown.gif

QUOTE (krishcane)
I note "Pentolite" listed on one web page with a detonation velocity of 25,000 feet per second, compared to C-4's lazy 9,000 fps.

Detonation velocity is not a very good indicator for TNT mass equivalents in pressure and impulse, which are closer to telling you how much "oompf" per unit of mass an explosive has. 1kg of C-4 creates 1.37 times as much pressure and 1.19 times as great impulse as 1kg of TNT.

Pentolite, depending on particular mixture, can create somewhere between 1.38x pressure/1.14x impulse (pretty much equal to C-4) and 1.5x pressure/1.0x impulse (more total pressure released over a longer period of time). Of commonly used high explosives, Composition B offers the greatest relative impulse levels, at 1.2x the pressure and 1.3x the impulse of a similar mass of TNT. But overall, it just doesn't get much better than C-4 IRL.

I'm taking these figures from a PDF I once took off the net, Blast Effects And Related Threats by T. Krauthammer (great name, BTW), but it seems it's not up anywhere anymore. At least Google couldn't find it.

In SR, of course, these figures mean nothing, because C-4 is 4x as effective per unit of mass as TNT -- only it isn't, because SR explosives cause some kinds of quantum blast waves that behave completely unlike anything IRL. But that's a rant for another thread, which was already closed 2 years ago.
Kagetenshi
Does that PDF list Astrolite anywhere?

~J
Austere Emancipator
Nope. The people who designed and manufactured it don't seem to, either. They just say "it compares favorably to" standard explosives (Comp-B, C-4, TNT, RDX), and there was a few mentions of it being "twice as powerful as TNT" -- although the latter could well have been BS.

[Edit] http://www.totse.com/en/bad_ideas/ka_fucki...oom/165180.html Not everybody seems to think Astrolite is all that hot...[/Edit]
Traks
"I worked in my Day Job at office with computer for so many hours. I feel so tired that my eyes will burst out any second."
"Yes, honey, I understand, rest for a while and lower your blood pressure... did your eyes just clicked????"

But probably not the best idea of mill, better use hand with uzi in it or C-4 in finger compartment if really paranoidal.
Apathy
Be sure to get this for the character that has the Gremlins (lvl 4) flaw.
Crimson Jack
Man, I just can't get over how dumb eye weapons would look in action. dead.gif
Siege
It would be the last thing you see... grinbig.gif

-Siege
Cable
WAIT, WAIT, WAIT !!!! What about:

"If I Throw My Fraggin Eyes, I Aint Got No Eyes Left"

Anyone think of that arguement? Just use standard mini gernades and keep your poppers in your head.
Diesel
And knowing SR's logic, it'd cost you essence to get a cyber-eyepatch. frown.gif
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (Diesel)
And knowing SR's logic, it'd cost you essence to get a cyber-eyepatch.

Depends on how you attach it. Riveted to the skull or something? Essence cost. Hooked into the skin? Nope.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012