Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spell Targeting Question
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Ned
Hey folks.
Here's a query. Can manipulation spells be targetted through electronic means? Follow me here.. normal spells cannot be targetted through such means, but manipulation spells.. you're just throwing them at the target really. Thoughts?
Shockwave_IIc
Not sure. but either way the spell will travel in a straight from you to the target so would it be any real good?
Herald of Verjigorm
Since you need a straight path for the spell to travel, I can't think of a single case where single target elemental manipulations could be targetted by electronic assistance where it could not be cast without such aid. Area manipulations can affect targets you don't have LoS to, but you need a path to the center of the blast.
kevyn668
I think the spell would detonate at the target the mage was looking at. In this case the vid screen or whatever.
Ned
QUOTE (kevyn668)
I can't think of a single case where single target elemental manipulations could be targetted by electronic assistance where it could not be cast without such aid

[QUOTE]
Complete Darkness. Using ultrasound goggles.
kevyn668
QUOTE (Ned)
QUOTE (kevyn668 @ Nov 23 2004, 12:17 AM)
I can't think of a single case where single target elemental manipulations could be targetted by electronic assistance where it could not be cast without such aid

[QUOTE]
Complete Darkness. Using ultrasound goggles.

That was Herald....but, in that case, unless you have the cyber implant kiss your face good bye.
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (kevyn668)
I think the spell would detonate at the target the mage was looking at. In this case the vid screen or whatever.

I don't think so. Elemental Manipulations do not require typical LOS and instead work exactly like Ranged Combat. For that reason, I see nothing wrong with allowing electronic vision to aid the casting.
Ned
Oops. Sorry goofed the quote function.
Whereas your point sorta makes sense... why wouldn't this happen with optical imaging? If you could throw a spell through optical binocular goggles, why not electronic? Or vice versa? Why not explode your face with optical?

(Sorry if my grammar seems weird, I'm typing and doing three other things at once.)
kevyn668
QUOTE (Ned)
Oops. Sorry goofed the quote function.
Whereas your point sorta makes sense... why wouldn't this happen with optical imaging? If you could throw a spell through optical binocular goggles, why not electronic? Or vice versa? Why not explode your face with optical?

(Sorry if my grammar seems weird, I'm typing and doing three other things at once.)

Magic. smile.gif

Seriously though, I may have read too much into your post. I was thinking you meant a mage could fireball someone through a security monitor.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012