Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Methusalah Treament?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Da9iel
Anyone else having 6th Day flashbacks?
Botch
Think about this one: If someone creates a perfect clone of you, gives it your memories, and doesn't kill you, where are you?

You are in your body, both of you are. If you copy a CD there are 2 CDs, both have the equal value of "CD", just that one of them may have a different value of "legal".

Sometimes philosophers have alot to answer for. Those three "great" questions bug me.

"Which came first, the chicken or the egg?" - The egg, chickens hatch from eggs
"What is sound of one hand clapping?" - Clap, either close one hand rapidly so the fingers "clap" the palm or clap your hand on an object to produce a clap.
"If a tree falls over in a wood and there is no-one around to hear it, does it make a noise?" - Well, yes it does, you cannot have an empty wood, there is always something there to hear it, besides "noise" being vibrations in air and not needing an audience to exist.

Imagine that you - not some arbitrary other person, but you - are sitting around one day, and get kidnapped by a mad scientist. He takes you to his hidden underground lair and makes a perfect clone of you, and copies all your memories into the clone. There are now two identical bodies, strapped to two tables side by side, both containing your memories. You are awake, and have been through the whole process. The clone is not.

Now he throws the big switch and wakes up the clone body.

Where are you now? Which set of eyes are you looking through? Which set of ears are you hearing his maniacal laughter with?

Now the mad scientist shoots you in the face. Do you try to duck?

Are you feeling suicidal, yes/no? Although, if you are strapped to a table ducking seems fruitless.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Botch)
If you copy a CD there are 2 CDs, both have the equal value of "CD"

But they are not the same CD.

~J
Botch
If it sounds the same, looks the same, has identical physical properties, and is used in the same way where is the difference? Has the song on track 2 actually changed in any way, is it still the same music?

I do not have the same cells I did when I was younger, in fact my body does not function in the same way as it used to. Am I still me?

If I am still me, then my body doesn't really matter.
Kagetenshi
They exist in different places in space.

~J
Botch
Sorry, slow edit.

Really, how has the music changed?
John Campbell
The CD is irrelevant. CDs are presumably not conscious to begin with, so its identity is merely a convenient handle for others, not a matter of life and death.
Ol' Scratch
This whole debate is why mankind came up with the concept of the "soul" (and all its variants, including "mind"). As sentient beings, we realize -- or more correctly, have to believe in order to maintain our sanity -- that we are unique individuals. If an exact duplicate of ourselves were made, that duplicate still would not be us even though it would be to everyone else. We are the only the only ones who have to believe we're us. (Pronouns are fun.)

As far as I can rationalize to myself, my "self" is my brain. If I had an exact duplicate of myself created (or even if not -- I'd personally want to go with a sexier, stronger, and younger body) and I had my brain transplanted into it, that new body would be me even though "I'm" laying dead on that table next to it. But even if my brain was duplicated in all ways, right down to all the synaptic pathways and memory engrams or whatever you want to throw in there, it still wouldn't be "me." Even though, as mentioned, it would be.

Being sentient sucks. smile.gif
BitBasher
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (Botch @ Dec 1 2004, 08:58 AM)
If you copy a CD there are 2 CDs, both have the equal value of "CD"

But they are not the same CD.

~J

For all intents and purposes of use they are the exact same CD. The difference is semantic.

The fact is that you thinking that you are you is all that makes you you. "I think therefore I am". You are nothing more than the sum total of biological and chemical traits paired with a specific set of memories and meural pathways in a certain biological structure. If you dulplicate that in it's entirety, they they are both you.
Botch
QUOTE (John Campbell)
The CD is irrelevant. CDs are presumably not conscious to begin with, so its identity is merely a convenient handle for others, not a matter of life and death.

No, the CD is not concious, neither is your body, it is your body. The music is the analogy's conciousness, tell me how the music changed.
mmu1
QUOTE (BitBasher)
The fact is that you thinking that you are you is all that makes you you.

No, your unique quantum state is what makes you "you". Creating a duplicate is physically impossible, so if you just want to stick to hard facts, stop wasting time talking about making an identical copy.
lorthazar
You know every time someone says the word impossible i am reminded that God has a wonderful, if demented, sense of humor.
Botch
QUOTE (mmu1)
QUOTE (BitBasher @ Dec 1 2004, 01:16 PM)
The fact is that you thinking that you are you is all that makes you you.

No, your unique quantum state is what makes you "you". Creating a duplicate is physically impossible, so if you just want to stick to hard facts, stop wasting time talking about making an identical copy.

It doesn't have to be absolutely perfect, just better than you can detect. Plus you do not have a continual, perfect, unique, quantum state, it changes and fluctuates.
BitBasher
Part of this thread IS talking about making an identical cope, IE teleportation, that's what we're talking about!
mmu1
QUOTE (BitBasher)
Part of this thread IS talking about making an identical cope, IE teleportation, that's what we're talking about!

Sure, but people are starting to mix subjective opinion, purely theoretical (and impossible, given physics as we understand it) "thought experiments" and hard science, and it's beginning to get aggravating.

John Campbell
QUOTE (Botch)
QUOTE (John Campbell @ Dec 1 2004, 07:02 PM)

No, the CD is not concious, neither is your body, it is your body. The music is the analogy's conciousness, tell me how the music changed.

Arguing by analogy only works if the analogy is actually analogous. Stored data is memory, not consciousness, so your analogy is broken. Try again.
Ol' Scratch
As opposed to throwing out quantum theory as fact?
mmu1
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)

So... Do you think people asking for creationism in schools are right, because the other viewpoint is called the Theory of Evolution?

Quantum theory is about as controversial as Newtonian physics at this point.
Kagetenshi
Indeed. In nearly any other field of work, a theory by the scientific definition would be called a fact.

Not that Newtonian physics are remotely correct except at low speeds, of course nyahnyah.gif

~J
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (mmu1 @ Dec 1 2004, 02:32 PM)
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein @ Dec 1 2004, 03:25 PM)

So... Do you think people asking for creationism in schools are right, because the other viewpoint is called the Theory of Evolution?

No, but if you're going to whine and complain because others are mixing "subjective opinion, purely theoretical (and impossible, given physics as we understand it) 'thought experiments' and hard science," then maybe you should avoid doing the same thing in your posts.

Especially since some portions of quantum theory includes ideas similar to teleportation to begin with.
mmu1
No, but if you're going to whine and complain because others are mixing "subjective opinion, purely theoretical (and impossible, given physics as we understand it) 'thought experiments' and hard science," then maybe you should avoid doing the same thing in your posts.

Especially since some portions of quantum theory includes ideas similar to teleportation to begin with.

That'd be a great point, if I actually did any such thing. However, I simply don't feel like including endless clarifications and caveats because someone out there doesn't have anything better to do than post nitpicky one-liners.
DrJest
I read this thread with, I must admit, amazement. The only explanation I can come up with for some of the arguments on here is that none of the proposers are in the slightest bit religious.

If I am murdered and replaced by a clone with my memories, I am dead. Simple as that. What's you have instead is somebody with my face and memories, who may or may not continue to behave as I do. Did. Whatever. My soul, the essence of everything that is me, has moved on. This is why I never bought this business of downloading brains into computers etc. You aren't in there, old son. It's just a clever program that thinks it's you.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (mmu1)
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein @ Dec 1 2004, 04:02 PM)

That'd be a great point, if I actually did any such thing. However, I simply don't feel like including endless clarifications and caveats because someone out there doesn't have anything better to do than post nitpicky one-liners.

Oh, that's right, it was your "subjective opinion" and "purely theoretical" blathering about "hard science" as opposed to everyone else when you babbled on with your quantum nonsense. That clears that up. Silly me.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (DrJest @ Dec 1 2004, 06:13 PM)
The only explanation I can come up with for some of the arguments on here is that none of the proposers are in the slightest bit religious.

Not in the slightest, and yet I agree in principle with your assessment. I don't believe in moving on, but when the question is whether the duplicate is still you, that becomes immaterial.

And Doc, Quantum Physics isn't subjective, nor is it theoretical in the everyday sense of the word. If we're going to discount scientific theories, we can't talk about gravity either.

~J
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (DrJest)
If I am murdered and replaced by a clone with my memories, I am dead. Simple as that. What's you have instead is somebody with my face and memories, who may or may not continue to behave as I do. Did. Whatever. My soul, the essence of everything that is me, has moved on. This is why I never bought this business of downloading brains into computers etc. You aren't in there, old son. It's just a clever program that thinks it's you.

So now all you have to do is define what "you" is. What if you just have an arm cut off -- are you still "you" or someone else? What if it gets replaced with a prosthetic? Is that you? What if you have your brain transplanted into a new body? Are you "you," or is that dead body on the slab next to you "you?" What if you somehow had the ability to regenerate like a flatworm, someone split you straight down the middle, and you formed two new bodies. Which one is "you?"
BitBasher
If I am murdered and replaced by a clone with my memories, I am dead.
I disgaree. You were dead but now you're back, version 2.0.

What's you have instead is somebody with my face and memories, who may or may not continue to behave as I do. Did.
Not really, what you have is you 2.0 with all your memories and physicalities. Everything that determines who "you" are, your experiences memories and structure, is all still there. You would not likely even know that you had ever died unless someone told you. You'd just have a time period lapse similar to amnesia for the intervening time. Nothing about you or the way you see or percieve the world would be different. Even you whould think it was still you.

Whatever. My soul, the essence of everything that is me, has moved on.
Not all people even believe in a soul. I speak of the physical reproduction while you are speaking philosophically. Nothing has moved on, it just moved a little to the left. It was identically recreated.

This is why I never bought this business of downloading brains into computers etc. You aren't in there, old son. It's just a clever program that thinks it's you.
The funny thing is, that even if it's technically a clever program that thinks it's you, then for all intents and purposes it really is you. You are nothing more than the sum of your thought processes, brain waves, electrical brain profile and memories stored in protien.

smile.gif
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
And Doc, Quantum Physics isn't subjective, nor is it theoretical in the everyday sense of the word. If we're going to discount scientific theories, we can't talk about gravity either.

It is theory in every sense of the word. Even if it's widely accepted and seems to work flawlessly as far as one can tell, it's still just a theory until it's proven to be fact. At one point people were convinced that the theory of phlogiston was completely accurate -- but that didn't make it any more factual than quantum theory. And it is *most definitely* subjective in that most of it can't be proven at all -- a lot of it relies on thought experiments and formulae.

mmu1 went on spouting his little pet theory, then stomped his foot angrily because other people were doing the same. That's what I'm objecting to. I guess I just don't take it kindly when little dickwads go around telling other people to stop discussing a subject on a discussion board because they don't like their ideas.
Kagetenshi
Said thought processes, brain waves, etc. have terminated, though. That's all you are, and when they terminate, you're gone even if someone recreates them exactly in a different location in time and space.

Now, once we get into the question of instantaneously destroying and recreating an individual in the same time/space location, I would say that it would be impossible to tell without being the individual beforehand, and then after the experiment it would be impossible to verify whether the original continued or had ceased.

~J
hyzmarca
Still, what about distributed thought? If you distribute your mental processes amongst several blank clones while you are still alive wouldn't your distributed conciousness effectivly be able to survive the death of any one body? It would be traumatic to the personality, certainly, akin to severe brain trauma but the mind would continue unintirupted none the less.
mmu1
mmu1 went on spouting his little pet theory, then stomped his foot angrily because other people were doing the same. That's what I'm objecting to. I guess I just don't take it kindly when little dickwads go around telling other people to stop discussing a subject on a discussion board because they don't like their ideas.

You really are an ignorant, pathetic little man that lives for nothing else but being contrary...

You don't take it kindly? What are you going to do about it, continue making an idiot of yourself? Call me names? That always gets me, when someone on a message board starts to swing his nonexistant dick around.

You're the defender of the oppressed, now? You're a waste of time, sticking his head out from under a rock to interject his bullshit into a (up to that point) relatively constructive discussion, and proving, time and time again, your irrelevance and ignorance.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (mmu1)
Sure, but people are starting to mix subjective opinion, purely theoretical (and impossible, given physics as we understand it) "thought experiments" and hard science, and it's beginning to get aggravating.

Check the timestamp on that one vs. anything I posted off topic.
DrJest
Not all people even believe in a soul. I speak of the physical reproduction while you are speaking philosophically.

You know what I hate? When you know something and you can't remember where you heard it...

There was some big experiment that - interpreted in one way - scientifically "proved" in theoretical terms the existence of the soul (albeit in a "we actually can't posit it being anything else" way). It was something to do with the detection and quantification of energies, and the bit that was left over. Gah!

That's leaving aside the religious side of it. From what you're saying, I assume you aren't religious? From my point of view, the existence of the soul is a given.

The funny thing is, that even if it's technically a clever program that thinks it's you, then for all intents and purposes it really is you. You are nothing more than the sum of your thought processes, brain waves, electrical brain profile and memories stored in protien.

Actually, I disagree even accepting your assertion that the soul does not exist. A duplicate of you isn't you since it is made of material that was not you; and the chaotic nature of the level that is "thought" and "emotion", being dependent on the physical transfer medium of the body, would cease to behave exactly as the original. Quite how pronounced the difference would be is of course a complete unknown as the test cannot be made under current circumstances, but the concept of chaos - in this case otherwise known as Mama Nature with a big spiked club saying "we'll show you what we think of Mr. Smartypants round here..." - means that a duplicate simply cannot be exact enough to be the original.
Botch
QUOTE (John Campbell)
QUOTE (Botch @ Dec 1 2004, 01:28 PM)
QUOTE (John Campbell @ Dec 1 2004, 07:02 PM)

Arguing by analogy only works if the analogy is actually analogous. Stored data is memory, not consciousness, so your analogy is broken. Try again.

The music isn't the stored data that is just binary markers and neither is the neural structure of the brain the conciousness either.

Tell me how the music changes.
Botch
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Said thought processes, brain waves, etc. have terminated, though. That's all you are, and when they terminate, you're gone even if someone recreates them exactly in a different location in time and space.

Now, once we get into the question of instantaneously destroying and recreating an individual in the same time/space location, I would say that it would be impossible to tell without being the individual beforehand, and then after the experiment it would be impossible to verify whether the original continued or had ceased.

~J

When I was 14 a close friend of mine was in an bad accident. Although gross physical trauma was fairly minimal she was clinically dead twice during the operation that stablilized her. Is Emma Emma, she thinks she is and no, she didn't have the "oohh, afterlife thingies".
Kagetenshi
I'm not sure how old you are, but it wasn't that long ago that clinically dead meant no heartbeat.

Also, something thinking they are the original someone, as we discussed back when it first came up, is no evidence whatsoever.

~J
mmu1
QUOTE (Botch)
The music isn't the stored data that is just binary markers and neither is the neural structure of the brain the conciousness either.

Tell me how the music changes.

All carbon atoms in the universe are identical, but they're not the same atom, are they?

You don't have to prove that the music isn't identical in order to be able to say it's not the same music.
Bossemanden
Just to be a nitpicker.
All Carbon atoms are not identical. There are different isotopes. And if you accept it as a difference, then different temperature, means different energy state and therefore different speed.

But it probably has no use whatsoever in this discussion, so I´ll just shut up now. smile.gif
Ol' Scratch
Out of curiosity, why hasn't anyone bothered to try and define what "you" is? Since it was probably missed, I'll repeat some earlier questions:

What if you just have an arm cut off -- are you still "you" or someone else? What if it gets replaced with a prosthetic? Is that you? What if you did that with 75% of your body, are you still "you?" What if you have your brain transplanted into a new body? Are you "you," or is that dead body on the slab next to you "you?" What if you somehow had the ability to regenerate like a flatworm, someone split you straight down the middle, and you formed two new bodies. Which of those two are "you?"

Which ones of thoses are "you" and which aren't?
mmu1
QUOTE (Bossemanden)
Just to be a nitpicker.
All Carbon atoms are not identical. There are different isotopes. And if you accept it as a difference, then different temperature, means different energy state and therefore different speed.

But it probably has no use whatsoever in this discussion, so I´ll just shut up now. smile.gif

They're as identical as the music played from two different CDs is every going to be...
Botch
QUOTE (mmu1)
QUOTE (Bossemanden @ Dec 2 2004, 09:33 AM)
Just to be a nitpicker.

But it probably has no use whatsoever in this discussion, so I´ll just shut up now.  smile.gif

They're as identical as the music played from two different CDs is every going to be...

No they aren't.

At what point do you decide that an organic creature is sufficiently complex enough to support a conciousness and how is that complexity different from a man-made devise?

Kagetenshi, how old do you think I am?
Kagetenshi
I don’t know. That being said, I’m finding three conflicting definitions. First, “Clinical death is usually defined as the medical state in which it is impossible to revive a person with any technology at medicine's disposal, in essence the complete and irreversible cessation of all body functions.” By this definition, it is impossible that your friend could be alive if she was indeed ever clinically dead. A second definition is the cessation of heartbeat and respiration, an event which proves nothing about the existence of self. The third is brain death, which now that I look up the definition of is also by definition irreversible.

So it doesn’t matter. Either they were using a weak definition of clinical death, or your friend was not clinically dead.

~J
mmu1
QUOTE (Botch @ Dec 2 2004, 11:44 AM)
No they aren't. 

Well that's persuasive...

Want to explain how two series of 1's and 0's inscribed on two different pieces of coated plastic are actually the same thing? They might be physical representations of the same idea, but they're not the same thing.

If you play them back, the music you'll hear will be completely different, if your standard is so high that according to it, two atoms of the same element (same isotope, at the same temperature, same energy state) are not identical.
bitrunner
What if you just have an arm cut off -- are you still "you" or someone else? What if it gets replaced with a prosthetic? Is that you?

you're only 83 and a third percent you.... (Cyberarm costs 1.0 Essence....so now you're at 5.0 Essence...) nyahnyah.gif
Botch
QUOTE (mmu1 @ Dec 2 2004, 07:08 PM)
QUOTE (Botch @ Dec 2 2004, 11:44 AM)
No they aren't. 

Well that's persuasive...

Want to explain how two series of 1's and 0's inscribed on two different pieces of coated plastic are actually the same thing? They might be physical representations of the same idea, but they're not the same thing.

If you play them back, the music you'll hear will be completely different, if your standard is so high that according to it, two atoms of the same element (same isotope, at the same temperature, same energy state) are not identical.

You did not say "..two atoms of the same element (same isotope, at the same temperature, same energy state) are identical."

You said "All carbon atoms in the universe are identical, but they're not the same atom, are they?". I find it offensive that you quote me out of context and change your own repeat statements in that reply to hide a flaw in your original statement.

Do I have to spell out the differences in your 2 statements?

They might be physical representations of the same idea, but they're not the same thing.

Care to explain how this is totally different to a body and a nebulous, non-physical, idea of self called "conciousness".

What if you just have an arm cut off -- are you still "you" or someone else? What if it gets replaced with a prosthetic? Is that you? 

you're only 83 and a third percent you.... (Cyberarm costs 1.0 Essence....so now you're at 5.0 Essence...) 

Only if the prosthetic is cyberware
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012