Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Upcoming Releases
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
SlaDE
Hi,

I'm new to the boards and I can't find anything with regards to products coming out towards the end of 2004 and early 2005.

I am aware that Shadowrun products run a little late due to issues beyond control but I can't find any thread on the boards discussing the new stuff.

Can someone point me to the thread(s) or recap what else is being released, in production or on the boards for release in the near future?

Thanks much.

SlaDE
Bigity
Latest releases are State of the Art: 2064, and Mr. Johnson's Little Black Book. I think both of them have forums dedicated to them.

Only new thing I can recall coming out is Running Wild.

Info on product releases can be found at the Shadowrun RPG site.
Kagetenshi
Loose Alliances.

~J
Spook
Has there been any word on Shadows of Asia or Running Wild? They're listed in my FLGS's ordering book but not a word on the shadowrunrpg site.
Synner
According to GenCon the next three books on the production schedule are Loose Alliances, Running Wild and Shadows of Asia. No specific order has been announced. Following those will (tentatively) be Shadows of Latin America and a couple of books covering next year's big events.
Ecclesiastes
Shadows of Asia and Running Wild are easy to figure out, but what is Loose Alliances about?
Crimsondude 2.0
Various organizations that haven't really fit with anything else, like policlubs.

However, given something Synner mentioned a while back, it might involve something more sinister than these groups pursuing their own separate agendas.
Ecclesiastes
Sweeeeeet.
DrJest
Two words: United Nations.

Five more: Not the pussies we think.

At least, I think that's what he was getting at.

I can't wait! International espionage campaign, here I come!
Crimson Jack
I love New-Shadowrun-Book Day. love.gif
Bigity
How about some modules for when I'm too lazy to come up with anything home-brewed.

I'd like another books of maps, such as major cities, at least downtown areas with the big name places, and some interiors such as the old Sprawl Sites books.

mfb
two other upcoming projects are System Crash and Critical Error. one deals with the end of the Deus/Network plot arc; the other apparently deals with the aftermath of that end.
the_dunner
When they discussed PDF's at GenCon, Adam mentioned that there would be a big PDF compiling all of the maps from the various out of print sources -- including Sprawl Sites. While they're not new maps, that should be enough to keep most GM's occupied for a bit.
Crimsondude 2.0
You think updating Sprawl Sites for SR3 would kill some of the humor in it?
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (mfb)
two other upcoming projects are System Crash and Critical Error. one deals with the end of the Deus/Network plot arc; the other apparently deals with the aftermath of that end.

Evil sued!

~J
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
You think updating Sprawl Sites for SR3 would kill some of the humor in it?

Yes, it would pretty much kill it. Going by SotA64, they could do something similar, a something with humor, but a direct translation wouldn't work with 1st edition cheesy grit and 3rd edition dark humor.
Skarn Ka
QUOTE (DrJest)
Two words: United Nations.

Five more: Not the pussies we think.

At least, I think that's what he was getting at.

I can't wait! International espionage campaign, here I come!

?!
DrJest
Adventures, now there's an idea. Something that I think a lot of people would like to see is, possibly not single adventures, but a book with several in it (eg, Harlequin, Super Tuesday, Blood in the Boardroom etc). I can see several approaches.

1) Four to six decent sized adventures.

2) 1 "full-size" adventure plus a dozen or so 1-2 page adventure summaries.

3) 50 or 60 of the above-mentioned 1-2 page adventure summaries.

4) "The Great Book of Shadowrun Plots" - a couple hundred one paragraph adventure seeds, with maybe three or four fleshed out a bit to the summary level.

5) Minicampaigns a la Harlequin - several smaller adventures linking together to form one story. This would particularly be good to provide extended stories for alternative campaign types - media, mercenary, even DocWagon.

Now here's a thought - there's an awful lot of talent floating around these boards, and I'm not just talking about Synner and the other freelancers. And Dumpshock isn't the only SR board out there. Maybe FanPro could run a Submissions Competition, with the best stuff going in to print.
bitrunner
um, there's Shadowrun Missions...with GenCon SoCal this weekend, there will be a total of 8 adventures out there....if you want a "mega-adventure", just wait until the two year story arc is finished, and then you can run the dozen or so adventures all at once, back to back if you want...

there's nothing that says you can't use the adventures and adapt them for your home campaign other than if you don't use the campaign guidelines, the players can't use their characters in other Missions events around the world...

if you want maps, there are quite a few that have them, including a new Biotech research facility complete with basic floor plans and overall room descriptions...you can populate it yourself...
Adam
QUOTE (DrJest)
Now here's a thought - there's an awful lot of talent floating around these boards, and I'm not just talking about Synner and the other freelancers. And Dumpshock isn't the only SR board out there. Maybe FanPro could run a Submissions Competition, with the best stuff going in to print.

Submission guidelines are on ShadowrunRPG.com. The nature of most Shadowrun products does not lend itself very well to "open call" submissions [unlike a lot of fantasy/d20 products: 101 spells, 101 magic items, etc], but FanPro is almost always willing to entertain proposals from new authors.
DrJest
And indeed, I will be waiting for the 2-year story arc to end. Because, basically, I live in the UK and cannot get to cons for both geographical and financial reasons. These living campaigns are neat, but leave me kind of cold for that reason smile.gif
MYST1C
QUOTE (Ecclesiastes)
Shadows of Asia and Running Wild are easy to figure out, but what is Loose Alliances about?

QUOTE (German Fanpro newsletter)

Im Kapitel "Politische Bewegungen" die Umweltschützer (einschließlich
Öko-Terroristen), die Feministinnen, die Pro-Meta- und die Anti-Meta-
Organisationen, die Anarchisten, die Faschisten und die Anti-
Faschisten, die Neo-Kommunisten, die Anti-Konzern-Gruppen (Nachfolger
der im Shadowrun-Universum gescheiterten Globalisierungskritiker) und
die Nordamerikanischen Revolutionäre (Rinelle und die Metahuman
Peoples Army).

Im Kapitel "Globale Machtspieler" die Vereinten Nationen, Brokerage X
(mit Insider-Wissen handelnde Börsenspekulanten), Aegis Cognito (ein
Konzern, der für andere Konzerne Spionage betreibt) und die
Aristokraten.

Im Kapitel "Alte Geheimnisse" die Schatzjäger, die magischen Gruppen
und die Gilde der Seher.

Im Kapitel "Verteidiger des Glaubens" die Vigilia Evangelica (eine
Geheimorganisation des Vatikans), die Islamische Freiheitsbewegung,
der Neue Islamische Jihad und die Islamische Renaissance-Bewegung.

Im Kapitel "In den Schatten" verschiedene Shadowrunner-Gruppen sowie
Tamanous (Organhändler) und DIVE (Drachenjäger).

In English:
- Chapter "Political Movements": Environmental protectors (including eco-terrorists), feminists, pro-metahuman- and anti-metahuman-organisations, anarchists, fascists and anti-fascists, neo-communists, anti-corp-groups (descendants of today's globalisation critics) and North American revolutionaries (Rinelle and the Metahuman Peoples Army).
- Chapter "Global Powerplayers": United Nations, Brokerage X (shadowy stock brokers dealing with insider knowledge), Aegis Cognito (a corporate secret service for hire) and the aristocrats.
- Chapter "Ancient Secrets": treasure hunters, magical groups and the Guild of Seers.
- Chapter "Defenders of the Faith": Vigilia Evangelica (a secret organisation of the Vatican), the Islamic Freedom Movement, the New Islamic Jihad and the Islamic Renaissance Movement.
- Chapter "In the Shadows": various runner-groups, Tamanous (organleggers) and DIVE (dragon-hunters).

According to the newsletter the contents of the book are not 100% set yet, but these groups should be definitely in it.
Synner
I really have to have a word with Christian... just about every one of my surprises blown, sheesh. Hope the rest of you like the teaser though.

Note as a fun-fact: DIVE was going to be called the Dragon-Spotter Forums as a nod to everybody here (when you read it, you'll get it), but we thought it would be a little too trite.
Fortune
Hope the rest of you like the teaser though.

Very much! biggrin.gif

... but we thought it would be a little too trite.

Spoilsport! nyahnyah.gif
Crimsondude 2.0
That reminds me. I noticed references to Aegis like it was common knowledge in SOTA64, and so were they mentioned in SoE or some other sb?
MYST1C
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
I noticed references to Aegis like it was common knowledge in SOTA64, and so were they mentioned in SoE or some other sb?

Aegis Cognito is mentioned in the Portugal chapter of SoE.
Synner
Aegis Cognito was first presented in (and gets a brief profile in) SoE, however, it builds on the concept of the independent intelligence agency - originally introduced in the Germany SB (ie. in that case MET2000's Argus division). It gets a mention in SOTA64, though the focus there is on its cousin Argus (which specializes in military intel), and it should get the spotlight in Loose Alliances since its slightly different profile makes it particularly interesting in the context of that book.

As to why it snuck into the Portugal chapter of SoE of all places... let's just say it didn't rate high enough to make the EuroCorp section and my profile should give a clue. For those who know where to look there's a whole lot of interesting stuff tucked away in the smaller country drafts of the book.

I'm betting Loose Alliances will have some cool ideas which will send you back to SoNA and SoE (as well as other books) and make you go, " how the heck did I miss that?"
Kanada Ten
That book is so mine.
FlakJacket
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
That reminds me. I noticed references to Aegis like it was common knowledge in SOTA64, and so were they mentioned in SoE or some other sourcebook?

*Waves hand mysticly*

That? It's always been there. This is not the logic or argument you are looking for. Look, just sod off would you. Wide retro-fit coming through, stand well back please. wink.gif
Synner
As regards Aegis specifically, it has been mentioned as being Eurocentric until very recently, that plus its field of expertise make it less visible to most American runners (that will be changing).
Crimsondude 2.0
That's what I figured. I just find the idea of freelance intel so... appropo at the moment. Between the guys in the Open Source Intelligence Network (retired IC Analysts) to the more "prroactive" merc corp units fielding "former" (although that is a misnomer 99% of the time) officers (case, field, calndestine, et al.) operating in, oh, Iraq, to the "security consultants" who speak Pashtu and Tajik and charge hundreds of dollars an hour (ironically, making more than he would have with his law degree)... It's a growth industry. smile.gif

Thanks.
Kagetenshi
You really can't use anything open-source as a base for what will exist in the Shadowrun world. The entire culture of sharing information freely has more or less vanished.

~J
Synner
Or more to the point, been privatized...
DrJest
Robert Asprin's "The Cold Cash War". Check it out.
Crimsondude 2.0
Well, that depends on your definition of "Open Source." These guys are the equivalents to Dunk's Watchers.
TW
QUOTE (Synner)
I really have to have a word with Christian... just about every one of my surprises blown, sheesh. Hope the rest of you like the teaser though.

Note as a fun-fact: DIVE was going to be called the Dragon-Spotter Forums as a nod to everybody here (when you read it, you'll get it), but we thought it would be a little too trite.

Dragon Sighting Forums it was, IIRC (not that it matters now, just nitpicking at you, Syn nyahnyah.gif)
Club
QUOTE (mfb @ Nov 30 2004, 09:33 PM)

IMHO, These two books should really be combined into one. I might get one or the other, but no way both.

I also think RA:S and brainscan should have been one book. Yes, this runs into player knowledge problems if the GM passes the players shadowland (AKA the book), but that happens regardless. [edit] Yes, It also runs into problems with the problem being presented and closed in one book, but that just means that the scenarios will have to be a bit less final in their results

YOTC and WOTC were different enough (Wake being a tiny part of Year) that I can see them being kept apart. OTOH, a single run (Linked or not) for each of the sections in YOTC would have been excelent.

I would be willing to shell out for bigger books - it's still cheaper than buying two smaller books. SOE was a good size

Running Wild: might get. I have PANA, critters and PAE, so I don't need a monster manual, but I read somewhere that it dealt with how critters fit into the 6W, with a HMHVV section. I would get that. [edit] I said that I would get something that wasn't a monster manual, did I not, and that I thought than I had heard what it was?

Loose Alliances: doubtful. Maybe sometime after I get Threats I. (Why isn't the book called threats III?)

Shadows of Asia: not getting. Europe and north america will have to be enough km2 to screw runners over in.

Shadows of Latin America: might get. Not for game purposes (as above NA and europe are big enough) but for the azlan and amazonia fiction

SOTA 65: will get. series of books has been excelent so far.
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Club)
I also think RA:S and brainscan should have been one book. Yes, this runs into player knowledge problems if the GM passes the players shadowland (AKA the book), but that happens regardless.

Indeed. You know what else should have been combine dinto one book? Universal Brotherhood/Missing Blood, Double Exposure, Bug City, Super Tuesday, POAD: DS, and Target: UCAS. You know, even though it ruins the suspense about what the Bug situation is Chicago was up to.

Running Wild: might get. I have PANA, critters and PAE, so I don't need a monster manual, but I read somewhere that it dealt with how critters fit into the 6W, with a HMHVV section. I would get that.

Hm. Maybe you might want to reconsider since Synner explicitly wrote, "is not a monster manual."

Loose Alliances: doubtful. Maybe sometime after I get Threats I. (Why isn't the book called threats III?)

QUOTE (MY$TIC)

- Chapter "Political Movements": Environmental protectors (including eco-terrorists), feminists, pro-metahuman- and anti-metahuman-organisations, anarchists, fascists and anti-fascists, neo-communists, anti-corp-groups (descendants of today's globalisation critics) and North American revolutionaries (Rinelle and the Metahuman Peoples Army).
- Chapter "Global Powerplayers": United Nations, Brokerage X (shadowy stock brokers dealing with insider knowledge), Aegis Cognito (a corporate secret service for hire) and the aristocrats.
- Chapter "Ancient Secrets": treasure hunters, magical groups and the Guild of Seers.
- Chapter "Defenders of the Faith": Vigilia Evangelica (a secret organisation of the Vatican), the Islamic Freedom Movement, the New Islamic Jihad and the Islamic Renaissance Movement.
- Chapter "In the Shadows": various runner-groups, Tamanous (organleggers) and DIVE (dragon-hunters).

Hm... No idea why it's not just Threats III. None at all....

Shadows of Latin America: might get. Not for game purposes (NA and europe are big enough to locate runs in) but for the azlan and amazonia fiction.

I miss not having had the time to get in on the ground floor of that. It should be fun, though.
Synner
QUOTE (Club)
QUOTE (mfb @ Nov 30 2004, 09:33 PM)

IMHO, These two books should really be combined into one. I might get one or the other, but no way both.

YOTC and WOTC were different enough (Wake being a tiny part of Year) that I can see them being kept apart. OTOH, a single run (Linked or not) for each of the sections in YOTC would have been excelent.

All indications are that the two books will be at least as distinct YotC and WotC, so RA:S and Brainscan are not accurate comparisons.

I would be willing to shell out for bigger books - it's still cheaper than buying two  smaller books. SOE was a good size.

Unfortunately not everybody is willing to sell out 30$ for a sourcebook.

Running Wild: might get. I have PANA, critters and PAE, so I don't need a monster manual, but I read somewhere that it dealt with how critters fit into the 6W, with a HMHVV section. I would get that.

Crimsondude is correct. I did specifically state this was "not a Monster Manual". According to the GenCon seminar it should include material on critters, infected, spirits, guard animals, pets, cyberbeasties and much more.

Simply because the book is so much more than Threats. Take a look at the lineup Crimson's posted. The book contains more the 50 organizations (some new, some old, some upgraded) to weave into your stories and fillout your world, it also covers why these organizations are important and how they fit into the setting and can be used as both background and plothook. Oh, and there's one more surprise about the book that hasn't been let out of the bag yet.

Shadows of Asia: not getting

Obviously its not going to be everyone's cup of tea, but I think a book covering Japan, China, Russia and India is pretty much a good buy for my collection...

Shadows of Latin America: might get. Not for game purposes (NA and europe are big enough to locate runs in) but for the azlan and amazonia fiction

Again pretty much a sure buy for the same reasons as SoA, but then again I'm a collector.

SOTA 65: will get. series of books has been excelent so far.

Contents are still undisclosed but I expect it will be up to the standard.
Adam

Because, IIRC, it's more aimed at groups that your character may interact with on a more neutral or beneficial level, as opposed to pure "opposition."
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Synner)

Simply because the book is so much more than Threats. Take a look at the lineup Crimson's posted. The book contains more the 50 organizations (some new, some old, some upgraded) to weave into your stories and fillout your world, it also covers why these organizations are important and how they fit into the setting and can be used as both background and plothook. Oh, and there's one more surprise about the book that hasn't been let out of the bag yet.

I'm still getting the impression that there's something more sinister (well, POV, natch) ebyond groups runners can hang with in a positive/neutral role.
Synner
Nope, the surprise I'm referring isn't in the least bit sinister, in fact its more to do with the direction in terms of the book's format, than the actual contents of the writing. Note there are quite a few sinister aspects to the stuff in there, it's just not what I'm referring to. And that's as much of a tease as I'm going to be.
Club
Syn, you live up to your name. Go to where you deserve for teasing us.

I mean that in the nicest way though.
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Synner)
Nope, the surprise I'm referring isn't in the least bit sinister, in fact its more to do with the direction in terms of the book's format, than the actual contents of the writing. Note there are quite a few sinister aspects to the stuff in there, it's just not what I'm referring to. And that's as much of a tease as I'm going to be.

You're going back to the old SR1 format?

Yay!
Herald of Verjigorm
Nah, they decided to go one more step of integrating random oriental bits into the game setting. All the text will be in english but written vertically.
Kagetenshi
And in three alphabets.

~J
akarenti
Wingdings! biggrin.gif
Jérémie
QUOTE (Synner @ Dec 8 2004, 02:13 PM)
Obviously its not going to be everyone's cup of tea, but I think a book covering Japan, China, Russia and India is pretty much a good buy for my collection...

Well, we are waiting for the Japan since... bah, 1992 at least, so no problem about this one you're going to sell it wink.gif . In fact, the MJLBB may have been a bit disapointing for old GM, SOTA is good but basic, the past years have been slow (SoE apart of course), and the BSSBOtN has disapeared into void it seems... so any sourcebook will be good... I need a fix, well several fixes a year at least wobble.gif
FlakJacket
QUOTE (Synner)
Shadows of Asia: Not getting.

They're including Russia and India in it? Hhmm.
Demonseed Elite
Yep, they are.

And a little Tibet. cool.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012