Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Riggers, Remote Control Decks and more
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
GaiasWrath8
OK, So is this possible.

Given your rigger a craineal remote control deck, maybe rating two. Site a block away from your Van.

Your van has rigger adeptation and a rating 6 Remote control deck hard wired into it.

Can you contol your remote control deck and the other 4 drones you have on the subscriber list through the crainial remote contol deck?

With this question answered, can he do this multipul times, ending up with a huge about of drones under his contol because he is controling vehciles with decks hardwired in?

Thanks in advance.
Kagetenshi
Nope. If the first RC deck was the higher-rating one I'd consider house-ruling to allow you to use the second deck as an overpriced retrans unit, but not only would this not work under the rules, there are good reasons for it not being able to (the deck being unable to handle the additional drone signals).

Now, triggering a preprogrammed drone command in relay, that I'd have to consider...

~J
mfb
yes, you can do that. however! remember that the rating of your network is equal to the lowest-rated remote control deck. in other words, if your CRD is 2, you can only have 4 drones affiliated at one time, even if your main remote control deck is rating 10.

the rules you're looking for are on page 85 of R3, "Server System for CRD".
lodestar
Mind you its a good idea to have the cranial deck loaded up so you could switch to it as a back up should you have to maybe bail out of your command van for whatever reason. If you run your van as a drone through your r/c deck you can take advantage of an R/c biofeedback filter, as well as being able to jump back to command chair mode if the van takes heavy damage and you're anticipating it to be destroyed thereby avoiding some nasty dumpshock. All good precautions if you're anticipating some real trouble.
GaiasWrath8
OK then, so I could have a rating 6 crainial deck and a rating 6 remote deck. Hard Wire the deck with al sorts of fun stuff into a vehcile to give it a high flux, then have a 0 flux with my crainial deck and operate it all sitting in a shadow at a club?

Thanks.
Fortune
As an aside, you'd do much better putting the RC Deck in a Cyberlimb than getting it implanted as a Cranial Deck.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (mfb)
if your CRD is 2, you can only have 4 drones affiliated at one time, even if your main remote control deck is rating 10.

Pick: he can have four drones on the subscriber list, but only two can be affiliated at any one time.

~J
mfb
oops, right.
GaiasWrath8
Cool, and now for the really fun question.

In rigger three, there are these atomitons. Big old robots, think there is room in there for a dwarf? It would be like a Rigger/Street Sam Super suit. smile.gif Just an idea.

smile.gif
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Fortune)
As an aside, you'd do much better putting the RC Deck in a Cyberlimb than getting it implanted as a Cranial Deck.

Yeah you can get the whole CRD and the goodies for minimal essence loss for spending a few more dollars for the DNI. Throw in a Signal Booster and you are set.
BitBasher
QUOTE (GaiasWrath8)

In rigger three, there are these atomitons. Big old robots, think there is room in there for a dwarf? It would be like a Rigger/Street Sam Super suit. smile.gif Just an idea.

smile.gif

What would the point be, and what advantage would it offer over a regular vehicle?
Lantzer
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll @ Dec 2 2004, 06:36 PM)
QUOTE (Fortune @ Dec 1 2004, 10:44 PM)

Yeah you can get the whole CRD and the goodies for minimal essence loss for spending a few more dollars for the DNI. Throw in a Signal Booster and you are set.

My preferences, in order:
1) Keep a pure-DNI version in a briefcase or bookbag. Advantages: reasonably cheap, not too obtrusive. Disadvantages: can be noticed still.
2) Just use a vanilla Rc deck. Advantages: Cheapest, portable. Disadvantages: Fairly easily noticed when in use.
3) Cyberlimb deck. Advantages: Concealable, still not too expensive. Disadvantages: needs a cyberlimb devoted to it.
4) Cranial Deck. Advantages: Really concealable. Disadantages: Expensive, hard to upgrade, suffers from low flux. The flux can be countered with a signal booster in a cyberlimb, but that is obvious when in use.
GaiasWrath8
QUOTE (BitBasher @ Dec 2 2004, 01:37 PM)
QUOTE (GaiasWrath8 @ Dec 2 2004, 06:26 PM)

smile.gif

What would the point be, and what advantage would it offer over a regular vehicle?

What would be the point?!?!?!

Come on, who does not want a rigged supper suit with hardened armor that is about the size of a troll. smile.gif

Even if it does not give any great in game benifits its just cool and sounds like fun. smile.gif
GrinderTheTroll
It's still nice to always have a Deck-on-demand without all the hassle of toting along extra baggage.
GaiasWrath8
True, I think I will go with the cyber Limb deck. Its not to cheep, but not to bad. I will be honest, I get real lost when I try to understand all the extra stuff.

Protocal emulation Mods
RC Encryption Module
Remote Control ECCM
Rigger Decryption Module

i tried to read about them again last night and it just gave me a sharp pain in the temple and I went to bed. I think I need to just cram the rigger book tonight.

I have a player who wants to be able to do the whole electronic warfair so he can steel other peoples drones.
BitBasher
I have a player who wants to be able to do the whole electronic warfair so he can steel other peoples drones.
That's actually a lot harder than it sounds, and takes a LONG time if they even have some really crappy encryption.
GaiasWrath8
Really? Mind walking me through it? What would a person need to be good at steeling drones?

What would the owner of the drones have to fight agenst this?
Kagetenshi
Encryption 3 means that the would-be drone thief needs two 7s on a test using the rating of the encryption breaker plus complementary dice from their Electronics (Electronic Warfare) skill with a base time of fifteen minutes. Encryption 5 means three 9s are required, keeping in mind that the max decrypter rating is 10, and the base time is 25 minutes.

The maximum rating, 10, means that the opposition needs five 14s on no more than ten dice plus complementary dice, with a base time of fifty minutes.

~J
Fix-it
Which is why I find it easier to disable drones, then sell them for scrap. biggrin.gif
GaiasWrath8
OK, so dice = to Rigger Decryption Module using Electronics as a sup skill giving once suc for every two at same target number. Target number = RC Encryption Module+ some other unknown variable I can not figure out. I am guessing you are running off a table for this last part.

Ok, now this can be done when the drone is in use right? But who has 25 min in combat to steel a drone? So this is not for in combat drone steeling, its for just good old hijackings.

Kagetenshi
Basically. Or people who can score thirty successes on ten dice plus maybe eight complementary dice.

It's 4+Encryption Rating for TN, and you need successes equal to Rating/2, rounded up. Base time equals 5 minutes*rating.

Did I mention that encryption is less expensive than decryption at a given level, despite the fact that it gets better so much more quickly?

~J
Eyeless Blond
The thing is, this is how encryption vs. decryption is *supposed* to work. Most of the current encryption algorithms are only vulnerable in a reasonable amount of time (read: less than 100 years) by using a complicated attack called a "man-in-the-middle," which relies on the malicous person intercepting and freely changing every single message sent between the two legitimate people, and there are many others aren't even vulnerable to *that*. By 206x I suspect the algorithms will have gotten even better. I guess what I'm saying is I don't find it unreasonable in the slightest for decryption algorithms and equipment to lag behind encryption; it always has and always will. The big vulnerability to encryption has always been the human element: someone stealing the encryption keys and the like.

Plus it's just mean for the GM to send this right back on the players and have some script kiddie jack all the rigger's drones by running a decrypt utility for a couple of days. nyahnyah.gif
BitBasher
Acutlaly, for someone that has the book handy, decryption is an opposed roll is it not?
Ol' Scratch
To a degree.
GaiasWrath8
What? Ok, now your just screwing with me. LOL. Were is the oposed part of this? LOL

Also, does this steel everything on the riggers deck? Or just one target drone?

Is it noticable?
Eyeless Blond
The problem is there is at least three different kinds of encryption in SR, all of which work entirely differently. There's broadcast encryption, which is what Kagetenshi is going on about. THere's data encryption, which is another name for Scrambler IC and is much much easier to beat, that deckers have to deal with often. Finally there's rigger network encryption, of which I know nothing, which is why I'm just nodding along with everyone else.

Confusing, ain't it? smile.gif
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Dec 2 2004, 06:22 PM)
The thing is, this is how encryption vs. decryption is *supposed* to work.

I know that. I'm not complaining, just dissuading anyone from thinking that decrypting drones is a good way of clearing your way on most runs.

And rigger network encryption, which is what I was going on about, functions identically to broadcast encryption. Well, aside from the fact that if you do manage to get through the encryption, you're still nowhere near done.

~J
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (GaiasWrath8)
QUOTE (BitBasher @ Dec 2 2004, 01:37 PM)
QUOTE (GaiasWrath8 @ Dec 2 2004, 06:26 PM)

smile.gif

What would be the point?!?!?!

Come on, who does not want a rigged supper suit with hardened armor that is about the size of a troll. smile.gif

Even if it does not give any great in game benifits its just cool and sounds like fun. smile.gif

Ever niftier (and something I did on an old SR campaign) is just not be in the anthroform drone.

Why is that niftier? Because it allowed me to be the safest runner in my group, and still participate directly in the run. Add to that the fact my anthroform was roughtly disgused as a sammie rather than a drone, and it made for some fun times.

Heck, one of my favorite moments was getting taken down whilst simutaneously taking down an armored assault vehicle. I do wish I could visially have seen the opponent's face when he rolled out of his ruined vehicle, thinking "Damn that guy was tough" - only to have my other identical looking drone step on his hand and stick a gun in his mouth.

biggrin.gif

Now thats a cool idea. smile.gif

Just make them looked like cybered out Trolls. LOL. Get 6 of them and run your own team. smile.gif
mfb
i have never heard of anyone creating a small army of ninja drones. this army of ninja drones, which does not exist, is not capable of wiping out any conventional military unit up to brigade strength with no direct support from the rigger. i did not post this. you did not read this.
GaiasWrath8
I think I have a good plot device for my next story, thanks for not telling me anything. smile.gif
Fix-it
One thing you can do to offset the time issue with breaking encryption is to not attack until AFTER you have thier drones. grinbig.gif
Fortune
My Pirate drones can beat your Ninja drones any day. nyahnyah.gif
mfb
one of the sicker things you can do with vehicles is to attach two or more drone brains to it. this allows the vehicle to multi-task very effectively; for instance, one drone brain could acquire a sensor lock on a target, a second could fire a weapon system at the acquired target using sensor-enhanced gunnery, and a third could drive the vehicle.
Fix-it
It's also sickenly expensive, if you're using high-end drone brains. half a mill EACH. and that's rating 4. rating 5 is two and half.
mfb
nah, stick with rating 2 or 3, pump 'em up with autosofts. autosofts are also expensive--but you can upload 'em to every drone in your network.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (KarmaInferno)
Heck, one of my favorite moments was getting taken down whilst simutaneously taking down an armored assault vehicle. I do wish I could visially have seen the opponent's face when he rolled out of his ruined vehicle, thinking "Damn that guy was tough" - only to have my other identical looking drone step on his hand and stick a gun in his mouth.

Much as I hate to ruin the moment, he would have had to resist damage at the adjusted Power and minus one DL, same DL if he was dumb enough to not be wearing a seatbelt, and thus probably would have been rather banged up.

QUOTE (GaiasWraith8)
I think I have a good plot device for my next story, thanks for not telling me anything.

I would never think you mean that you don't have a good plot device.

And the real value of the drones, again, is when a good Rigger is jumped into them. Don't waste the cred on more than a few levels of autosofts and brains.

~J
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Dec 2 2004, 07:19 PM)

Much as I hate to ruin the moment, he would have had to resist damage at the adjusted Power and minus one DL, same DL if he was dumb enough to not be wearing a seatbelt, and thus probably would have been rather banged up.

Well, to be fair, the drone HAD been firing anti-vehicular weapons at the assault transport as well.

smile.gif

Slightly off-topic, would you allow a player to strap a one-shot LAW or MAW to a std hardpoint or firmpoint?
Lindt
Id venture to say Id allow a LAW on a firm point. And now that I think about it, seeing as even a GDM is man portable, Id allow that on a firm point as well...
GaiasWrath8
Well I went home and read the rules on Electronic Warfair...and I think I need to read them again. LOL.

anyways. I guess I have another week until the player will bring in his rigger so I have time to figgure this all out.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012