Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrunners in space!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Gyro the Greek Sandwich Pirate
Awright, how many people have run/been in a game that has featured running in space? I'd like to hear stories on how that worked out for them. The chapter on space in Wastelands has always been fun to browse through, but I've never seen it in heavy use.
Sabosect
The last time I was in an SR game involving space, the troll sammy confused the airlock with the door to the bridge and depressurized the entire ship. Sadly, he was the only one wearing a suit.
BitBasher
QUOTE (Sabosect)
The last time I was in an SR game involving space, the troll sammy confused the airlock with the door to the bridge and depressurized the entire ship. Sadly, he was the only one wearing a suit.

I hope that' a joke, because on any real spacecraft that's physically impossible to do to an airlock.
Johnny Reb
The only space-foo that I can ever recall was in Bottled Demon when a guy (Not in my grou, sadly), took the bottle up in a Transorbital, waited until they were in space, then opened it.

*pop*

No more baddie.

-- Johnny Reb
Thistledown
I've lead a run in space. Took a couple secions to do it. Started them off doing the run described in 'Wake of the Comet,' but after they adjusted the relay, they had to get onboard an ares shuttle going to Icarus station, (more security badges), and then pose as construction workers (Ares is trying to build a freefall resort there to rival the other one.) Then they stole another shuttle, and made for one of the thor shot satelites. Had a bit of trouble piloting the shuttle (targets 13 for a while), and then some trouble getting onto the station, but they managed. Stuck the chip they'd been given into the machine, and bombs away.... on desert wars.

I expected them to then try and work their way back down through Icarus and the other station, but instead they patched a call over to echo station (the freelancer shadowrun one) and made a deal trading the thor satelite (with it's security stuff) for a ride back home. Echo was so happy, it smuggled the team into the Yamatetsu freefall resort until their wounds were healed.
Cakeman
QUOTE (Sabosect)

I hope that' a joke, because on any real spacecraft that's physically impossible to do to an airlock.

Nah, I've seen it done (more or less that way anyway) in lots of movies. Oh and please, before realism rears it's ugly face here - read Sabosects post where it says "troll sammy"... rotfl.gif

Ack, I'm a noob... those tags look nothing like they should...
Cray74
QUOTE (BitBasher)

What physical thing prevents an annoyed astronaut from opening both doors in the US space shuttle airlock? The crew decks have no interior airtight bulkheads, just the outer shell and doors.
Toptomcat

For a normal character, yes, but troll sammies tend to tear through armor plating like tissue paper. I can see the troll accidentally putting a fist through an airlock door like a normal human might do with a window.
Bigity
QUOTE (Johnny Reb)
The only space-foo that I can ever recall was in Bottled Demon when a guy (Not in my grou, sadly), took the bottle up in a Transorbital, waited until they were in space, then opened it.

*pop*

No more baddie.

-- Johnny Reb

Er, what?
Ol' Scratch
I've never played Bottled Demon, but from what I understand the contents includes a rather astrally-active sort. Space is a mana warp. Anything astrally-active in a mana warp suffers some hardcore damage every Combat Turn just by existing, and the use of magical or critter powers is all but impossible save for the most powerful and highly initiated of magicians or exceptionally high Force spirits.
Bigity
Yea...but there is nothing in the bottle. It's a power focus. So I don't see what taking it up in space would do unless someone tried to use it.
BitBasher
QUOTE (Cray74)
QUOTE (BitBasher @ Dec 2 2004, 08:25 AM)

What physical thing prevents an annoyed astronaut from opening both doors in the US space shuttle airlock? The crew decks have no interior airtight bulkheads, just the outer shell and doors.

Actually I can answer this because I've been to space camp a few times. (GEEK!) I've walked through a few life size mockups of this firsthand, and I've been through their technical and engineering specs.

On all docking rings and on the lower deck between the cargo bay and the crew compartment there is in fact an airlock, it's controlled only incidentally by the crew, and the inside door will nto open uless the pressure in the lock is within a certain% of the cabin pressure, and the outside door will not open unless it's within a certain% of squat. Incidentally, the airlock can't even be operated IN the airlock, it's operated from the mid deck inside th shuttle, outside of the airlock. Read here for a better explanation.

The main door, upper deck left side, the one they enter is built like a wedge that uses the pressurized cabin to hold it shut inaddition to the physical locking mechanisms, so even if you were able to unlock it you couldn't physically open it where there's no atmosphere.

The space stations are built the same way.

It's explicitly designed so that you cannot physically do that.
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (BitBasher)
It's explicitly designed so that you cannot physically do that.

Yes, but this is a troll. Troll PCs tend to have enough strength to use steel the way most humans use modeling clay.
Ol' Scratch
No they don't. Most trolls have a strength only mildly superior to an exceptionally fit human (Strength 7) with some that are almost but not quite at the maximum limit for human achievement (Strength 10).

The doors would have to have a Barrier Rating at the 3-5 range in order for a troll to have any chance of "accidently" breaking through one, and it'll take a concentrated and prolonged effort to break through anything of a higher rating.
Cray74
QUOTE (BitBasher)
Incidentally, the airlock can't even be operated IN the airlock, it's operated from the mid deck inside th shuttle, outside of the airlock. Read here for a better explanation.

Hmm.

airlock is depressurized from inside the airlock by venting the airlock's pressure overboard.

Open the inner airlock door while the airlock is pressurized, then operate the airlock depressurization valve. That's not quite the same as venting the ship by opening the outer airlock hatch, but the option for sabotage via the depressurization valve seems present.

As for interior operation:

The gearbox with latch mechanisms on each hatch allows the flight crew to open and close the hatch during transfers and EVA operations. The gearbox and the latches are mounted on the low-pressure side of each hatch; with a gearbox handle installed on both sides to permit operation from either side of the hatch.

Still, you'd figure there'd be options for airlock redesign on SR semiballistics and suborbitals that enhances the integral resistance to opening both doors at once, some mechanical pressure sensitive trick.

Then again, you might figure the spacecraft designers skimped on such safety features. Target: WL notes that Ares space station modules are more prone to failure than others.
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
No they don't.

Most trolls != PC trolls. Player character trolls tend to be based on "if I hit it really hard, nothing can survive" and rarely have a strength below 13. Yes, there are exceptions, but they are not most PC trolls.
GaiasWrath8
OK, this will sound stupid, but does this mean if a mage goes to space he will take damage every round and can not cast spells?

Mana Warp? Some one help me on this?

Thanks
BitBasher
QUOTE (GaiasWrath8)
OK, this will sound stupid, but does this mean if a mage goes to space he will take damage every round and can not cast spells?

Mana Warp? Some one help me on this?

Thanks

Basically, except he will not take damage every round unless he tries to percieve/project. As long as they dont try to contact astral space, mages and adepts are fine, i just believe they have a "dead, throbbing feeling or headaches"
GaiasWrath8
And no powers work? adept or mage? What book is this in, must be one I don't have and need to get. smile.gif

So magic is only on earth, or is space just a giant void? What if they went to Mars? Would they be able to use magic once then got there?

Would a dragon fall a sleep if it flew to high? LOL.

BitBasher
Technically magic is there, but it's a background count of 10.

IIRC you take something like 10D just from trying to use magic or project/percieve.
GaiasWrath8
On mars or in space?

Oh Oh, What about dual natured people? What would happen to them? I got three in my group right now. LOL
Toptomcat
Would a dragon fall a sleep if it flew to high? LOL

Fascinating, I just realized something. No matter how powerful and influential dragons are and have been through the years, they will fall into irrelevancy in the next two centuries or so as humanity migrates to the stars while they are left behind, unable to leave the manasphere of Earth.
Cray74
QUOTE (GaiasWrath8)
Oh Oh, What about dual natured people? What would happen to them? I got three in my group right now. LOL

They suffer badly. See BitBasher's post above yours.

Technically, you can work magic in space. It's just got a background count of 10, a very lethal environment for working magic, assensing, or being dual natured.

In heavily inhabited space stations, the background count drops to 9 and sometimes 8, and the moon has a base background count of 8. This that a mage trying to cast a spell in those locations has a chance to scream before dying.
Cray74
QUOTE (Toptomcat)
Would a dragon fall a sleep if it flew to high? LOL

Fascinating, I just realized something. No matter how powerful and influential dragons are and have been through the years, they will fall into irrelevancy in the next two centuries or so as humanity migrates to the stars while they are left behind, unable to leave the manasphere of Earth.

Background counts drop on well-populated space stations, like by 1 for stations with tens of people on board and by 2 for stations with hundreds of people on board. Extrapolating, a space station with millions of people on board (e.g., O'Niell's Island Three) would have a background count of 3 or 4.

Of course, the dragon has to figure out how to get there, but it'll be able to survive thereafter.

*pop*

No more baddie.

Well, the "baddie" wouldn't actually "pop." He'd pass out in 15-30 seconds, then die of asphyxiation. His physical injuries suffered before death would be akin to a diver quickly rising by about 10 meters: some bends-type damage, a risk of lung embolisms, etc. Afterward, there'd be gradual evaporation of body fluids, but the "explosive" in "explosive decompression" only refers to what happens to the air in the spacecraft, not to metahumans. (Unless it's a Hollywood version of explosive decompression.)
GaiasWrath8
Wow, Space, the Final way to screw your magic happy party. LOL wobble.gif
QUOTE (GaiasWrath8)
And no powers work? adept or mage? What book is this in, must be one I don't have and need to get. smile.gif

So magic is only on earth, or is space just a giant void? What if they went to Mars? Would they be able to use magic once then got there?

Would a dragon fall a sleep if it flew to high? LOL.

The book it's in is Target: Wastelands. They have a whole chapter on space, and several chapters on slightly less deadly environments.
KarmaInferno
As for an in-game explanation ot the high mana warp up there...

Magic in the SR universe is strongly tied to life.

There ain't a whole lot of life in space.

I think one of the books described trying to make any sort of magical connection in space as akin to popping a hole in a balloon. The person doing the contacting being the balloon, of course.

....in the next two centuries or so as humanity migrates to the stars....
In all reality there's not any good reasons that that will happen except in extremely limited numbers, despite being a staple of Sci-fi.
hyzmarca
As soon as the technology becomes available people will colonize space for the same reason Europeans colonized the North America and USans colonized the Western frontier. A new land means new oppertunities. There are plenty of people who would want to start a new life, and exploit the boundless oppertunities to create wealth and political power.

In closed civilizations, weath an dpower are fairly concentrated and stable. To gain either you have to take it away from someone else and that isn't easy. In unsettled frontiers, economic and political power can be created from scratch.

Corporations and governments would sponser, subsidize, and encourage their citizens to colonize so that they can be the first to plant their flags and exploit new resources.

Some people might also notice that it is wise to have a back up civilization in case all humans on Earth and killed, which will eventualy happen due to one cause or another.
GaiasWrath8
Oh right, in this world, over population is not a problem. I forgot, we really do not have a reason to leave, exsept maybe some privet funded All human exspeditions who want to get away from all the freaks. LOL.
BitBasher
The catch is that the colonization of space can't be compared fiscally to the colonization of the known world back then.

In that time frame a boat and crew was phenominally inexpensive compared to the cost of a planetary spaceflight today. The riches a boat could bring back would far more than pay for the cost of the expedidion.

That's not even close to the case with colonizing space, it's infinitely more complex and dangerous, and it requires significantly more training and preparation. We're talking of going to places that would need entire artificial environments that are totally incapable of supporting life on their own.

And we have what to gain besides knowledge whigh may or may not benefit us here on earth? The ability to mine minerals that we can't transport back here for more than it would cost to make the trip? The ability to house population for hundreds of thousands of times more than it would cost to house people here? The list goes on and on. While technically feasable, it just makes no good sense.
Solstice
QUOTE (BitBasher)
The catch is that the colonization of space can't be compared fiscally to the colonization of the known world back then.

In that time frame a boat and crew was phenominally inexpensive compared to the cost of a planetary spaceflight today. The riches a boat could bring back would far more than pay for the cost of the expedidion.

That's not even close to the case with colonizing space, it's infinitely more complex and dangerous, and it requires significantly more training and preparation. We're talking of going to places that would need entire artificial environments that are totally incapable of supporting life on their own.

And we have what to gain besides knowledge whigh may or may not benefit us here on earth? The ability to mine minerals that we can't transport back here for more than it would cost to make the trip? The ability to house population for hundreds of thousands of times more than it would cost to house people here? The list goes on and on. While technically feasable, it just makes no good sense.

Yes but the laws of environmental economics say that when prices here get high enough for minerals due to increased scarcity we will either switch to a substitute at the switch point where cost of a substitute = cost of the scarce mineral. If no substitute is available or higher priced than the scarce mineral you can bet we will ship it home. The future prices may allow for the cost. But my guess is we will never see that. We will probably switch to a substitute before the cost of space mining is justified.
Fortune
QUOTE (Toptomcat @ Dec 3 2004, 06:33 AM)
Fascinating, I just realized something.  No matter how powerful and influential dragons are and have been through the years, they will fall into irrelevancy in the next two centuries or so as humanity migrates to the stars while they are left behind, unable to leave the manasphere of Earth.

Why do you assume that a Great Dragon could not deal with a background count of 10? Sure it wouldn't be pleasant, but that doesn't mean it would be impossible.
GaiasWrath8
Well I said Dragon, like a run of the mill dragon, would they die or fall a sleep if they went to high or into space? Just a thought.

Anyways. I need to get the book on this. Space sounds like a great way to screw with my party.
DrJest
Frankly, mate, if I was playing a mage in your party and the Johnson offered a run that took us into space, I'd Just Say No.

If the run developed into needing a space trip, well, see me waving the party off from the viewing lounge. Seeya!

Or as the wonderful badge worn by the 1st Level character's player in Bimbos of the Death Sun (don't pre-judge - actually a well-observed murder mystery set at a sci-fi con) put it: I'm not stupid. I'm not expendable. I'm not going.
BitBasher
Actually not just the mages should turn that down, the excessive security and the extra skills needed for operating in zero G would make it prohibitive. Also the fact that you don't want to use fast moving projectiles on a freaking space station. I don't think I have ever had a party that would do that regardless of the pay.
GaiasWrath8
Yes, this would all make much more sence. But this party takes the hard way out almost every time, and it takes a lot for them to learn a lesson.
kevyn668
QUOTE (Johnny Reb @ Dec 2 2004, 03:40 AM)

*pop*

No more baddie.

-- Johnny Reb

Ummm, first of all it wasn't a *bottle* at all. It was a small statue. Hard to open, those are...

Secondly, AFAIK there's nothing that proved or hinted at the statue was powered by a spirit or *baddie*. In the adventure it stated in the Legwork Section (I think), in the "The Idol" subsection that with X amount of success "...you can tell that its a very powerful focus that seems to draw its power from the Astral but on closer inspection, the power seems to come from somewhere else... <insert evil music/laughter here>

Of course "Bottled Demon" came out before the rules governing the Metaplanes so who knows what the real deal was. I always thought it was just a big set up for the Horrors making appearances in SR.

To your credit, I also seem to remember that "sending the Idol into space," was one of the ways that the adventure suggested it might be possible to destroy the Idol or at least its connection with "somewhere else." smile.gif
DrJest
I'll send flowers. Seriously. When the mage pops his clogs, give the characters a big bouquet from my character. You want a big chuckle, tell them it came from Harlequin. It's completely true, but they'll get it completely wrong and it will be funny as hell watching them panic smile.gif
GaiasWrath8
Oh Oh, can we follow the conection back to the other place? Wave high to the Horriers!
kevyn668
QUOTE (GaiasWrath8)
Oh Oh, can we follow the conection back to the other place? Wave high to the Horriers!

GM: "Of course you can try. What was your Intelligence again?"
Player: "Its 6"
GM: <snickers> "Wrong. it was 6....better yet, how 'bout you just hand over that character sheet and go work on your next one."
DocMortand
Just to be evil - What would happen if Deus (or some other AI) reappeared on the Thor satellite, or took over one of the major space stations? Imagine RA:Shutdown in space...eek.
I don't believe there are large enough computer facilities in space to handle all of Deus, and even if there are, it's a lot easier to shoot those down than to bust into the Arc, especially when innocents aren't involved.

So then you have the AI controlling it from the ground. The thing of it is, the collateral for that would be prohibitive. For one thing, if it starts lobbing Thor shots, that's going to draw a lot of attention to it-and it can't Thor shot the city it's located in. So the AI has revealed itself and its location is fairly easy to discern thereafter. Not only that, but such worldwide destruction makes it hard to sustain infrastructure the AI would no doubt find useful to subvert on its own. Now, if it tried to use it as a threat, again, you have people taking out the sattelite as soon as they figure out how to do so before it can launch a shot.

The thing is, way too much can go wrong in space, and AIs really wouldn't have much of a use for it.
Toptomcat
Why do you assume that a Great Dragon could not deal with a background count of 10? Sure it wouldn't be pleasant, but that doesn't mean it would be impossible.

Mmmmmn. Maybe as a temporary thing, with some heavy mojo, but I can't see a GD permanantly functioning in a Mana Warp 10.
Fortune
Well, metahumans have access to the Filtering Metamagic, which is rather weak in comparison to similar abilities in the 4th World. I really don't see Great Dragons being any more than partially restricted when it comes to such things.
hyzmarca
Dragons can use spell matrices to cast spells, but it is not their natural inclination. During the time of Earthdawn, they do so because it is necessary to avoid the mark of a Horror as intelligent Horror would love to corrupt a dragon. However, corrupted areas were worse for them than for metahumans and even other dual-natured beings because their connection to the Astral plane in so much stronger. Mana is to a dragon what oxygen is to the rest of us. In clean areas they can cast amazing spells without the the same effort a human mage would put into breating. In a corrupted area they suffer several times worse than a human mage.

I very much doubt a dragon would even consider space travel, much less survive with sanity intact.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Gyro the Greek Sandwich Pirate)
it can't Thor shot the city it's located in.

Why not? IIRC Thor Shots are fairly focused, all in all. A city the size of Seattle would probably have room for quite a few of them to hit while leaving the Arc untouched. Not that Deus is stuck in the Arc anymore…

~J
Hmm, I didn't know they were focused. I kind of assumed they functioned like your typical large asteroid smashing the Earth, designed to be just large enough to be city-sized. The main great thing about Thor shots, I thought, was the total lack of radiation.
Fresno Bob
That and I don't think you can trace and counter them.
Toptomcat
I think Thor shots are city-block sized, not city-sized.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012