Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DIMR: Building the Perfect Beast...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Kagetenshi
I'll definitely post something in about half an hour, at which point you can laugh at me for having an order of magnitude too many skill points allocated and then send me back to rebalance the character smile.gif

~J
Ol' Scratch
Oh, I'd probably do the laughing thing no matter what you sent just to crash your self-esteem. It's what I do, man! Okay, I probably wouldn't... but I gotta talk the big talk. Or something. Dammit, I got nuthin'...
Kagetenshi
First draft of skills and attributes, for the laughter of the Doc and the review of the others.

[ Spoiler ]

~J
Kagetenshi
Cutting out some fat: reduce Gunnery/Crazy Prototypes to 3/5, Computers B/R to 3.

~J
Ol' Scratch
Before I begin, remind me to bitchslap you for listing your Attributes out of order.

That said, David looks pretty good. I was going to ask you about the Gunnery bit since it didn't seem to gel with the rest of his abilities, and even 3/5 seems a little high relative to everything else regarding his skills. I'm also surprised at the total lack of any Vehicle B/R (Drones) skills and the other relatively low B/R skills you listed. For some reason I thought they'd be a little higher, but that might just be a preconcieved notion I picked up somewhere else.

In any case, I wouldn't mind seeing a few more fluff Knowledge Skills. I'm a big fan of that sort of thing and in most games, I award (Intelligence × 10) points for Knowledge Skills with the condition that half of them have to go to fluff skills. But I'm just weird like that, so if you don't feel like adding any, I'm cool. biggrin.gif

I also assume you're going to give him some pretty high ratings in the various programming languages, yes? Oh, and as a request to everyone: Can you please list all of your skills in alphabetical order on your final sheets? Makes life easier in the end when I need to look something up in a jiffy. Single-spacing is also preferred. smile.gif

EDIT: I almost forgot: <ahems> Ha. Ha. Ha.
Kagetenshi
I'll probably end up adjusting it down to 2/4 or even 1/3; that was my inner Shadowrunner talking. B/R would probably be higher, I was just already intimidated by the length of my skill list by the time I got to adding them. Much the same reason why I'm light on Fluff Knowledge Skills; I do so love the things, but having a character with so many non-fluff knowledge skills made the list look scarily long smile.gif

I'll do the alphabetical order thing, sure. That up there is listed in my own bizarre notation. The spacing looks a lot better on the sheet than on this page, but I'll send you both versions and you can throw out the one you like least smile.gif

Oh, and bitchslap me for listing my Attributes out of order.

~J

Edit: you sure you don't mean "Ha fraggin' ha"? wink.gif
Ol' Scratch
Don't worry about the number of skills. If it makes sense or adds some flavor, add 'em. smile.gif That's one of the main reasons I wanted to avoid a stricter set of guidelines (I'm always running out of skill points, dammit!).

EDIT: Do I look like I'm dressed up like a clown to you? (Wait, don't answer that...)
kevyn668
Well, I didn't want Kage to feel alone, so....here goes.

I haven't done Chase's chrome yet but, like the earlier posts say, he's a merc--not a sam. He'll proably have an essence somewhere in the 2 to 3 range. I always saw the statistical difference between sams and mercs being "sams have more chrome, mercs have more skills."

Chase doesn't like the idea of losing too much of himself. For instance, this didn't make it into the quick background but he has retinal mods since he refused cyber replacement. (maybe I just saw The Minority Report when I first thought of this guy--I dunno.)

As for skills, Doc said to lay 'em on. So I did. I'm more than willing to cut them down. I figured it'd be better to trim the fat than to add skills. smile.gif

Active Skills, Knowledge Skills, Languages: Eh, I took a shot. I figured Chase has a four year degree with a minor, underwent advanced military (probably equalish to Ranger School) training and spent 3 years or so in the CZ then another 4 touring the world on the merc circuit. He probably picked up a few languages and some odd skills.

I also took some liberity with specializations and used what I thought made sense.

His Edges and Flaws are still a work in progress. More the Flaws than the Edges wink.gif. Another possible Flaw: something to do with a compulsion to "prove himself" versus heavily chromed people? Some sort of "Human Hero Complex"? Possibly induced from his time in the CZ?

Let me know if this is over the top (I think it is...)

[ Spoiler ]
Kanada Ten
Rembrandt Quadesh Dragon Hunter
Ork Dragon Hunter

[ Spoiler ]

Still working on gear and such.

Tactically, Rembrandt will Delay Action with Quick Strike (using one of his two free actions) and interrupt as appropriate. He's best back slightly so that he can cover more people with Shielding, Reflecting and Spell Defense.
kevyn668
3 Dice bags filled with white sand (Fetish: sprinkle)

Too cool, dude! smile.gif

Kagetenshi
In personal combat, David will use the Free Action he gets on Rembrandt's turn to Drop Prone most of the time nyahnyah.gif

~J
Kagetenshi
And then double-post.

~J
kevyn668
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
In personal combat, David will use the Free Action he gets on Rembrandt's turn to Drop Prone most of the time nyahnyah.gif

~J

You too, huh? smile.gif
Ol' Scratch
On the surface things look pretty good. I'll go over them in a bit more detail later and get back to you both with any comments I have (if I haven't mentioned them already). I'm a little swamped at the moment. smile.gif
kevyn668
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
On the surface things look pretty good.  I'll go over them in a bit more detail later and get back to you both with any comments I have (if I haven't mentioned them already).  I'm a little swamped at the moment. smile.gif

Kick ass! (except for the "swamped" bit)

Hey Doc, when we edit our charcters do you want it done in a seperate post or in the orignal? For example, when I add Chase's cyberware do you want it in the original spoiler tag with a new post to let you know or would you prefer it in a whole new post?
Kagetenshi
Given that the final will be emailed to him rather than posted here, I'd imagine he wouldn't care much smile.gif

~J
kevyn668
Eh, you never know. smile.gif
Ol' Scratch
As Kage said, either or is fine. Just lemme know if you edit it so I'll know to look. smile.gif EDIT: What I'm planning on doing in the end if everyone's cool with it is put everyone's sheet into a similar format and attach it with their character descriptions at the top (third post) for easy reference, or maybe in the beginning of the OOC board if I go that route. I dunno. It sucks to be this anal retentive sometimes.

All these little yellow smileys are getting on my nerve. I need a splash of color to break it up 'fore I go mad. Uhm. mad.gif There.
kevyn668
Yo. How's everyone doing? proof.gif (Actually, I don't need proof--I just like green better than red...and you know what they say about people that pick green smile.gif)
Toptomcat
Elephant Brains (consumed)

Yeeeeuch!
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (Toptomcat)
Elephant Brains (consumed)

Yeeeeuch!

"Would you rather your mind be en open book ter that dragon!? Quit whinning and eat it, you great pussy cat, or you'll be on the lunch menu."
Ecclesiastes
Andy is coming along nicely. The second draft is done, still working with Funk to flesh it out.
Toptomcat
"Would you rather your mind be en open book ter that dragon!? Quit whinning and eat it, you great pussy cat, or you'll be on the lunch menu."

Probably all the dragon would get even if he penetrated it would be "I just ate elephant brains....I just ate elephant brains...I just ate elephant brains..."
Whizbang
Here's Corina's sheet...still being tweaked, so don't fuss at me too much for it not being totally organized.

[ Spoiler ]
kevyn668
Whats a "talith"?
Whizbang
A gypsy weapon. Pretty much a weighted scarf. Uses rules for a whip.
Kanada Ten
Added Rembrandt's contacts. And note that I followed not a wit of rules with it.
Ol' Scratch
Sorry for taking so long. To try and keep the thread managable (and to avoid at least two people from bitching about the length of my posts -- <shakes his fist again>), I'll put all of my comments in spoilers. So... here we go.

Kanada Ten
[ Spoiler ]

kevyn668
[ Spoiler ]

Whizbang:
[ Spoiler ]

Note - Cyberware: I told Whizbang but completely forgot to mention this to the rest of you: I do allow Reaction Enhancers to work with Vehicle Control Rigs. I'm only mentioning it because you might be interested in that, too, Kagetenshi.

All right, other than that, are there any questions or sheets I missed?
kevyn668
Edited Preston's skills.

Added specializations is Intimidation, Heavy Weapons, and Parachuting. Upped Assault Rifle to 8.

Will probably add chrome/bio today or tonight. Maybe some gear too.
Kanada Ten
Finished and fixed contacts.

Looks as though the Negamagic paradigm will make it before gear, but one never can tell.
Ecclesiastes
Andy Jones

For anyone that wants to take a peek. I haven't started contacts yet and my weapons section isn't finished either, but its a good list of his skills and the like.
kevyn668
HeyDoc, can I add two knowledge skills?

Military Identification (works like gang ID)
Special Operations Units
Kanada Ten
I just added a few too. Heh. And I just got the joke: Andy Jones.
Ol' Scratch
You most certainly may. (And it took ya that long, Kanada? For shame.)
kevyn668
Thanks. (Ditto what the Doc said wink.gif)

Anyone want to help with Preston's merc unit? I'm tempted to steal a name from another game system but I don't want to look tacky. Additionally, I haven't bought a "world book" since SR2, so I could use some help with what militaries Preston would have come in contact with in his career. I assume the hot spots from Fields of Fire are still "hot." Any new ones?

Doc, do I need to bother with the "Friends Abroad" Edge or can I just have contacts, well, abroad?

If anyone wants to help with a Flaw or two I wouldn't mind that too much either. smile.gif (Its been a bad few weeks and my head hurts...)
Kagetenshi
The two big merc units, IIRC, are MET2000 and Tsunami. What hot spots did FoF list?

~J
kevyn668
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Dec 8 2004, 10:51 PM)
The two big merc units, IIRC, are MET2000 and Tsunami. What hot spots did FoF list?

~J

I knew about MET2K and I don't like the idea of my man working for a monolithic group. I was thinking a smaller unit. 80ish? 100? Plus support personel. I guess I was looking for name suggestions, mostly. smile.gif

There are two that I was considering stealing "The Kell Hounds" (from BattleTech, I think) or maybe Illyach's Immortals (from Rifts). Like I said, I don't have a lot of creative juice right now.

Tsunami, huh? That was one of my nicknames back in the day...

FoF: Africa, Aztlan, Australia, and the Far East.

I was thinking Siberia would be a reasonable addition.
Kanada Ten
10,000 Daggers based in Constantinople (Black Ops and such) and Combat, Inc from Hong Kong though now in Macao (Southeast Asia and Austrlia).

Salish-Tsimshian, Algonkian-Manitou, Saito-CFS, Pueblo-Mojave, Aztlan-everywhere, Yucatan, Philippines (corporate service), Peru-Amazonia (and corporate service), Kenya (megacorporate service), Asmando-Asante, Yakut-Siberia (Russian service).
PBTHHHHT
There's also the other big merc unit, Combat, Inc. They used to be based in Hong Kong and are now based in Macao.

edit:
Met 2000 is the largest with several battalions and they have lots armor and mechanized infantry.

Tsunami are the ones who are all chromed and bio'd.

10,000 daggers are more for intelligence and black ops.

Not sure what Combat, Inc. but they're top dog in the merc scene mainly in Asia, but it also hints in the text that they are also well known in the Western Hemisphere.
Ol' Scratch
Friends Abroad: Assume you have it if you like. I've always found it a nonsensical "edge" since nothing in the rules force you to take Contacts in any one location to begin with. It's basically just the "Extra Contact" edge with a higher cost.
kevyn668
Added augmentations. cyber.gif
Kagetenshi
Just to alert everyone, I'm going to be away for the weekend (stupid weddings), so I may not have internet access until Sunday. I'm planning to have a complete or nearly-complete character by then, though.

~J
Ol' Scratch
Cool. Let's aim for Wednesday morning (ie, Tuesday night) for "final" character sheets.

kevyn: Your implants look fine to me. A little on the sparse side, but I tend to be the type to cram as much in as I can. smile.gif The only advice I really have is: Why not go with a pair of cybereyes? The Essence loss will be less and you'll be able to add more optical modifications if you like.
kevyn668
I'll keep looking at it over the next few days and see what I'm comfortable with.
Kagetenshi
As it turns out, I will be able to post, though that may not actually result in my getting a final draft character any sooner.

~J, doing half a semester worth of homework in one weekend.
kevyn668
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
~J, doing half a semester worth of homework in one weekend.

Ahhh, those were the days...<nostialgic music>

Good luck, brother.

smile.gif
Whizbang
Char sheet version 2.0 posted...still looking for other tweaks... potentially adding a twin engine plane...just a little something to get from point A to point B...with a little firepower just incase something does decide to shoot at us smile.gif
Kanada Ten
Finished the paradigm and magical information section. I think. Tweaked languages to fit my growing vision of his magical teachings.
kevyn668
Hey Whiz, how 'bout a tilt-wing instead?
Ecclesiastes
Oh. Much better. VSTOL rocks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012