Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Edge Weapons and Impact Armor
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
U_Fester
If APDS halves down Ballistic Armor does Edge Weapons halve down Impact?

Example of a catchers vest. It helps on getting hit from a baseball, but would suck with getting stabbed. Even with kelver, a pointed weapon can punch a whole in it.
RedmondLarry
Edged weapons do not halve impact armor. There is no distinction in the game, that I know of, between a weapon that damages with its edge vs. a weapon that damages with its point.

Layers of Kevlar affects the ballistic rating of armor a lot more than the impact rating, so that's already taken into account in the game. An example is Secure Clothing (3/0).

As you know by now, questions like this belong in the "Shadowrun" forum (instead of Community Projects). By the time you read this, however, the thread might already be moved to the right Forum.
Herald of Verjigorm
Only the monowhip (or minor variants of the concept) are "sharp" enough to halve impact armor. However, some other things are resisted by half impact as a base because it was easier than adding numbers for each other type of attack (though such specific armor effects were allowed as customizations and apply to some fashionable coats).
RedmondLarry
Sorry, I hadn't seen that this discussion had already moved to the Shadowrun forum.

The main discussion is here.

No reason to continue discussion on this thread.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
Only the monowhip (or minor variants of the concept) are "sharp" enough to halve impact armor.

Though the question itself has already been answered elsewhere, I have to point out that nothing in canon supports the monowhip's armor-defeating capabilities being due to sharpness (see reduced effect against barrier). My personal explanation is that it skids across armor into unarmored bits more easily than a conventional weapon, which does not create a contradiction between armor/barrier penetration.

~J
U_Fester
It had been. I posted this question originaly in a wrong board. They moved it unknowing that I reposted in this board. This is even stated that it was done and that there is not need to post to this one and created a link to the other thread.
Cray74
QUOTE (U_Fester @ Dec 5 2004, 10:44 PM)
If APDS halves down Ballistic Armor does Edge Weapons halve down Impact?

No, impact armor is a generic armor rating applied to any non-ballistic attack, ranging from clubs to swords to icepicks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012