Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Decking and rigging
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
KaOs
I've been playing SR for a while, but I've never been a GM. After going to college and moving away from my old GM I've realised that I never learned anything about decking or rigging. I don't have a clue where to start. I've read through the book on it four or five times and I just can't seem to get the idea's to stick. It would be really nice if someone could just help me out with a breif post of a run or something.

Something like if Johhny(low-level deker, just starting) was going to crack into the neighbors line and download his messages. What would he need? How would he do it? What would he have to access and what security would he have to overcome? I would be forever gratefull to whoever helps me out on this.

And as for rigging, am I making it more complex then it really is? I seem to try and weigh it down with more rules then I think are nessary. Is it just a few mods to vehicle combat (when useing drones)? It's just another thing I can't get my mind around.
Fortune
For Decking, you might want to check out The Idiot's Guide to the Matrix Thread.
KaOs
QUOTE (Fortune)
For Decking, you might want to check out The Idiot's Guide to the Matrix Thread.

Much thanks. Now I feel like a gleeb, But the rigging questions still remain!
FrostyNSO
The thing that helped me the most with the decking rules was going through the chapter and writing notes. Then I had a quick reference to fly by.
Eyeless Blond
As I recall, there's a similar "idiot's guide" to rigging as well, though I don't know if it got as good a start as the decking rules did. Here it is (the Search function at the top of the page is your friend. smile.gif)
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (KaOs)
Something like if Johhny(low-level deker, just starting) was going to crack into the neighbors line and download his messages. What would he need? How would he do it? What would he have to access and what security would he have to overcome? I would be forever gratefull to whoever helps me out on this.

And as for rigging, am I making it more complex then it really is? I seem to try and weigh it down with more rules then I think are nessary. Is it just a few mods to vehicle combat (when useing drones)? It's just another thing I can't get my mind around.

Realize right away they are both abstract concepts so there are no "hard and fast" rules for making them high visual.

I don't have any threads to point to, but what helped me was I made a few scenarios for myself and then looked up the rules that would explain how they would work. MOre questions come from that which means you get to learn more.

I did this with my runners so they could help learn to and gave them all a small karma reward for their help. Atleast the bug's in their heads.
Spook
Decking's easy enough to figure out (never had a problem with VR 2.0 and beyond rules myself). The quick resolution rules in Mr. Johnson's book are great for minor jobs (ones that aren't really the focus of the run and so forth).

Hate to say it, but vehiclie combat is senselessly complicated... I tend to gloss over it myself.
Kagetenshi
The two complicated parts of vehicle combat are MIJI and maneuver score. If you spend the time on those or just drop them, it's quite simple. I don't recommend dropping MIJI permanently, though.

~J
Lindt
Prehaps this is a good time to make "Idiots guide to Electronic Warfare"?
Kagetenshi
I'd be up for it.

~J
GaiasWrath8
Ya, rigging is not that bad, throw in electronic Warfair and you make it a game unto it self. LOL
Kagetenshi
Not so much, really. Especially if encryption is used.

~J
BitBasher
Yeah, with encryption it becomes a game of "theres no way in hell you can pray to pop his encryption in enough time for it to do any good unless you start VERY early!". smile.gif
Kagetenshi
E makes MIJI J!

Even if you start early, rolling three 9s on no more than ten dice plus a few complementary dice isn't exactly a shot worth taking. Even two 7s isn't Good Times™.

~J
hobgoblin
manouver score is anything but complicated, you have one value that is stable, one value that change when the gm says so, and then the open test on top. sum it up and go to town...
Kagetenshi
But you have all three of those for all vehicles, as maneuver score only matters in relation to other scores.

~J
TheScamp
...one value that change when the gm says so...

And in this case, the person is the GM, or at least wants to know how a GM would do it.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
But you have all three of those for all vehicles, as maneuver score only matters in relation to other scores.

~J

enlist your fellow gamer(s), have him monitor his own vehicle score and tell him the terrain score, then have him roll the open test and do the math for his vehicle. then you do the same for your(s). allso, the SR3 rules contain a bit about more then one vehicle of the same kind (multiple cops and so on) on one side of the "chase". rollfor one and give a bonus based on the number of additional cars.

yes the score adds an additional test pr side for every round of combat, but if you want a lean mean combat system look elsewhere, sr is not known for its fast combat system...

riggers and deckers are a intergral part of the cyberpunk influence in sr, remove that and you get a overload of magic...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012