Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Kind of Man (or Woman) Are You?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
FrostyNSO
When creating a new character, do you place more priority towards skills or attributes? This also includes how you spend your cash to complement either.
Toptomcat
Mostly Attributes, since they're harder to raise later than Skills and high Attributes at creation means lower Skill costs as the character grows and develops.
Kanada Ten
Mostly skills since we have a small group and thus must cover more jobs. Plus, I never get to play so long that advancment is an issue.
sidartha
One must roll atributes to avoid character death.
On the other hand I almost never raise attributes with karma since there are usually about a dozen skills that I don't have but need
iPad
Since attributes are such a big deal you get a bargin on skills.
Wounded Ronin
Attributes, because I like to twink and have no ability to roleplay. Wow, all 6s. How differentiated from all my other characters. nyahnyah.gif
Shockwave_IIc
Mostly attributes, makes more sense CG wise to have better attributes, since if you have 2 or more sklilss linked to an attributes it s "better" to up the attribute.
kevyn668
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
Mostly skills since we have a small group and thus must cover more jobs. Plus, I never get to play so long that advancment is an issue.

Ditto.
Teulisch
if you dont have skills, you will not survive long enough for karma to matter.

i tend to favor skills B, attributes C myself.

as far as attributes go, enough nuyen can buy them, as your choice of natural or cyber. and steroids make strength cheap to raise. bone lacing and dermal sheathing to soak damage, bioware for a high quickness (because 9 is a nice number).
iPad
QUOTE (Teulisch)
if you dont have skills, you will not survive long enough for karma to matter.

i tend to favor skills B, attributes C myself.

as far as attributes go, enough nuyen can buy them, as your choice of natural or cyber. and steroids make strength cheap to raise. bone lacing and dermal sheathing to soak damage, bioware for a high quickness (because 9 is a nice number).

Aye with attributes C a starting character with the right ware can have pritty high stats. The potential things you can do with skills are awesome, esp. if you can do combos which give you complimentary bonuses.

Guns dont kill people, skills kill people!
Tarantula
QUOTE (kevyn668)
QUOTE (Kanada Ten @ Dec 14 2004, 07:45 PM)
Mostly skills since we have a small group and thus must cover more jobs.  Plus, I never get to play so long that advancment is an issue.

Ditto.

Ditto ditto.
Necro Tech
Attributes. Putting high skills on low attributes is like putting magwheels, improved suspension and turbo charging on your 76 Gremlin. Sure its more versitile but your base sucks.
paul_HArkonen
wow, a dead tie, oh well, I'd say Attributes, just because higher attributes mean higher skills for lower karma, and better damage soakage/dodgeage. (I realize they aren't actually words, but it made me happy to write them.)
iPad
QUOTE (Necro Tech)
Attributes. Putting high skills on low attributes is like putting magwheels, improved suspension and turbo charging on your 76 Gremlin. Sure its more versitile but your base sucks.

Better analogy is whats better:

A smaller bottle with more water in it.
A bigger bottle with less water in it.

Neither is better out of context.

I suppose what I think is a better thing to debate on is "Its not about the character sheet its what you do with it"
heliocentric
Neither is better out of context.

Agreed.

It depends on the character concept. If I'm playing Jack B. Quick (from tomorrow Stories) I'll put priority in skills. Jeff Smax (from Top Ten) OTOH is all attributes.

Sorry, been reading a lot of comics today.
Glyph
Attributes and skills are both important, but the way the Priority system is set up, skills are cheaper. A sammie with Attributes: A is still likely to use Charisma as a dump stat, not because the player is a munchkin but because it takes so many points to have a useful Attribute build and something has to take the hit. On the other hand, it is possible to make a wide range of characters with skills: E. For some characters, like sorcerers, you aren't really even making a sacrifice - you have plenty of skill points for etiquette, stealth, etc.

So, I usually take Attributes at a higher rate. Yes, sometimes I will take a higher Priority for skills, even the 50 points for techies or other skill monkeys, but I don't think I have ever gone below C for buying Attributes. The point system makes it even worse (at least for me), because skills tend to be the easiest thing to "pare down" when making choices on nonessential things to cut.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012