Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [MrJBlackBook] Room sizes
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Grinder
Two days ago i picked up MJLBB (don't ask for the german title, it's a shame..). It's a nice book with a lot of useful information.
But one thing in the german version confused me: the room sizes of the various sample buildings - so i want to know if they are shall be so huge or if the german translation is just crap.

Here three examples:

1. Esprit Industries Apartment (don't know the exact english title): the main room is 10x10 meters, that's 30 by 30 feet.? the living room of the son is 8x6 meters or 24 by 18 feet. a little huge, i think.

2. Das Kutscher-Haus (maybe Kutscher-Building in english?): the living room is ok, but the sleeping room has 27 by 24 feet?

3. Mitsuhama Thaumaturgic Research FAcility (?): the personal bureaus are 9x12 meters or 27 by 36 feet...

it would be very nice if someone could post the sizes from the english version smile.gif
Crimson Jack
1. Esprit Industries Apartment (don't know the exact english title): the main room is 10x10 meters, that's 30 by 30 feet.? the living room of the son is 8x6 meters or 24 by 18 feet. a little huge, i think.

Correct. The son has a lot of toys. wink.gif

2. Das Kutscher-Haus (maybe Kutscher-Building in english?): the living room is ok, but the sleeping room has 27 by 24 feet?

"The Carriage House" in english. Correct on the size. Its for a corp exec of Ares. I can see Ares making a "big everything" type of house, including its master bedroom. *shrug*

3. Mitsuhama Thaumaturgic Research FAcility (?): the personal bureaus are 9x12 meters or 27 by 36 feet...

Yup. Might be for their hermetic circles? Dunno.

Grinder
Ok, thanks a lot.
So the original writers had some weird ideas of rooms, space and houses eek.gif
Fortune
I don't know about that. I've been in several houses and even apartments that are quite large ... maybe even bigger than those dimentions.
Grinder
I live in a house which is one of the largest i know. We have a living space of 235 square meters, which is quite a lot here in germany. Our biggest room has 45 square meters and if _very_ huge.
So no, i don't think much bigger rooms are common or useful.
Joe Outside
I've noticed this when I lived in Germany. Living spaces that germans consider quite adequate most americans find stifling, even claustrophobic. An, of course, vice versa. I'm pretty sure that the living space sizes in Mr. Johnson's little black book were for american quarters, set up for people used to larger lifing space. If you want to translate the spaces to more european ideals, just divide the numbers by 2 or 3, and it should work out about right.
Grinder
Hm, never thought about that. Ok, when watching american movies one can see really huge apartments or houses - but hey, that are just movies! Usually they never express reality 100%, don't they?

Guess the US just have lot more space, it's such a wide-open country, so everything has to and can be bigger/ huge.
Joe Outside
That's pretty much exactly what it is. My bedroom, for example, is almost 10 x 10 meters, and I am by no means wealthy.
Grinder
Äh. Yes. Guess some things are just better in the US.
But at least we enjoy real good beer over here (helps of to forget the claustrophobic houses we're living in biggrin.gif ).
snowRaven
QUOTE (Joe Outside)
That's pretty much exactly what it is. My bedroom, for example, is almost 10 x 10 meters, and I am by no means wealthy.

Hmmm - no offense meant or anything, but this sounds like quite alot for a bedroom, even in the states. Are you sure you did the conversion right? I've visited several middle class residences in the US and Canada, and haven't found the rooms to be that much bigger than they are in Sweden.

10x10 meters. The length of 5 beds on each wall...
For a living room this sounds more reasonable (if upper size range) but for a bedroom?

I apologize if I'm completely out of it here, but I have a heard time seeing a regular house or apartment with a bedroom that can easily fit three king size beds against each wall in it. Do you really have a 900square feet bedroom?
Joe Outside
I do. What I did neglect to mention was that my bedroom is a converted garage. It makes for a large bedrooom, but I've seen it happen in the suburbs often enough that I didn't think to make issue of it before.
snowRaven
Ahh - see THAT explains it nicely. =)

(I was gonna use the analogy of parking two-three cars in there...guess that would've been very approperiate)

Yes, that isn't too uncommon I guess (more so in europe, although not totally unheard of).
dandy
yeah, thats correct. i live in villa with approx. 350 squaremeters roomspace. thats quite a lot, and i have no friends that come even close to those sizes in germany.

it's pretty comon for young people to live in 30-40 squaremeter flat. that's tiny. conisdering that you have a kitchen, bathroom, sleeping room and you need to house all your belongings in there. think about that. all i say is: "close combat" and "gm: you see a small apartment. while you scan the tiny room for enemies you catch a glimpse of what looks like a detonator-wire and you follow the wire with your eyes until you see the half kilo of c4 stuffed under the bed."

just make sure you run as fast as you can wink.gif
Birdy
QUOTE (dandy)
yeah, thats correct. i live in villa with approx. 350 squaremeters roomspace. thats quite a lot, and i have no friends that come even close to those sizes in germany.

it's pretty comon for young people to live in 30-40 squaremeter flat. that's tiny. conisdering that you have a kitchen, bathroom, sleeping room and you need to house all your belongings in there. think about that. all i say is: "close combat" and "gm: you see a small apartment. while you scan the tiny room for enemies you catch a glimpse of what looks like a detonator-wire and you follow the wire with your eyes until you see the half kilo of c4 stuffed under the bed."

just make sure you run as fast as you can wink.gif

Actually here in germany kitchen/toilet are not included in the "official size" But 45-65m2 in 2 rooms are a quite common size for a flat.

Now, the typical modern house is a 1 floor + extended roof afair on a 400m2 piece of ground. Maybe with a cellar, maybe not, total around 100-150m2. Older (pre 1980s) houses can be a lot bigger. In the "old" (1920-1930s) city quarter I grew up in, ground size was 800m2 up and houses where bigger starting around 200m2. Two full stories where not to uncommon.

Birdy
Accel
QUOTE (Birdy)
Actually here in germany kitchen/toilet are not included in the "official size"

Actually they are. They simply don't count as rooms, that's all.
Mensche
about houses actually looking like the movies? yeah, dude.
Im from Canada and I visisted some people in Kennet, Pennsylvania, and there was mansions EVERYWHERE. Every fragging person that lived there was rich enough to live in huge estates. There was surrounding commercial areas and a lower caste of housing, however.
But still a ridiculous amount of wealth in my opinion.
Wish I was in Germany.
Grinder
QUOTE (Mensche)
Wish I was in Germany.

And we have better beer too biggrin.gif
Kagetenshi
For reference, BOCA lists 200 net square feet as one person for occupancy purposes in a residential building. The numbers above would thus be large, but not out of reason for the haves, IMO.

~J
ShortBusFury
For reference, BOCA lists 200 net square feet as one person for occupancy purposes in a residential building.

Holy jesus that would suck... I don't think I've lived anywhere in my lifetime where the average sq.ft./occupant was less than 600. 0_o I probably wouldn't get along too well in Japan or New York, huh? wink.gif I spent the night drunk at my friend's efficiency over in our college district a couple times. They're like $150/month. The foot of her bed was literally in the kitchen so you could sit on the bed and cook breakfast. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012