Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cameras in 2064
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
GrinderTheTroll
So I realized the other day that cameras in 2004 can be as small as a pin and this got me to thinking that I might be making my SR-2064 cameras too big in comparison. Everytime I place SR cameras I think of them as the kind you see in a 7-11 or QuickStop store, but the reality is they are probably much smaller.

More than likely, the hardware housing and controlling it's movement would be larger than the actual camera itself. This coupled with the simply abundance of electronics in 2064 and the paranoia of any good R&D facility would probably have more hidden (or less obvious) cameras and security devices than you could shake a Force-5 Weapon Focus at.

The bottom line for me it, I am thinking that most places are going to require a Perception check to spot a camera and a severe (or none allowed without detailed search) for other more "obscured" types.
BitBasher
You're forgetting that mostr cameras would want to be large and visible for security becuase in a lot of ways the deterrent effect they have is actually more important than the rtecording they do. If people know there's security they are less likely to commit a crime there.

That being said, there was a full featured cybercam in the Shadowbeat book called the AZT-10 micorcybercam that was 2cm x 3cm x 4 cm and had all the features of a full sized cam. Sinc the optical memory chips themselves are 1cm x 2cm x 3xm according to sources, that's pretty damn small.
Backgammon
Check those video recorders in SR3. 3cmx5cmx7cm if memory serves. That's TINY.
Gremish
Also keep in mind some companies put out those big ass cameras for a reason.... You see a camera your a little less likly to go bashing into the place thinking you can just get the shit u want and run.... u might acualy get caught or someone might see you and blow your brains out with a AK-97 while sitting nicly behind a desk cause they knew you were coming.... All in all though most cameras that mattered would be concealed and small as fuck so they dont get shot off or tapped into. The other larger versions would either be bait (to make a PC think that the cameras are all facing away from him) or just plain and simple the real thing cause crack house 7-11 cant afford the new upgraded version.
GrinderTheTroll
Oh my players are so paranoid that when they don't see those obvious things they assume there is something worse lurking in the shadows....and their usually is. wink.gif
Cray74
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)
More than likely, the hardware housing and controlling it's movement would be larger than the actual camera itself.

Kind of avoiding the topic, but...

You don't need any systems to make the camera move. There's this trick to give cameras a 360-degree range of vision...

Here's an example:

http://www.bugeyedigital.com/product_main/.../036-0360d.html

Obviously, that's a large mirror arrangement for a non-miniaturized camera, but you can imagine that being shrunk along with the camera.

Between that, fisheye lenses, and software to edit out distortion, you can have pretty extensive vision from a stationary camera.
GrinderTheTroll
Oh neat! Thanks for that information, always nice to see what 2004 can bring to 2064. cyber.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012