Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ready to Run?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2
Gremish
Detriot, Where the weak are killed and eaten.

Hey all im new to the boards been GMing for SR for about 2 years now and ide like to give GMing here a shot... ide like to run a game open to all but maxing players out at around 6-8. Prefer Bran spanking new chars if at all posible but ill take up to 25 karma 50k Y chars if someone has an existing char they would like to play.

The Setting will be Detriot (which im from) and further info will be granted as the game gets ready to open. Ide liekt o start this as quick as posible realizing that the next few weeks are going to be ruff for people ide like to get this going by January. This WILL be my first GMing experience here but i feel i should be able to handle it.

Anyone interested plz Post here if u get a char ready then post it or send it to me at archonfanatic26@sbcglobal.net. Hope to see plenty of you playing =D

Also im looking for people who are going to post at LEAST 5 times a week (yes i stole it from sphynx cause it seems like a good number) i would liek to keep this rolling fast combat being a minimal as posible i like players who do INTERESTING things to get out of situations or into them not just
" you got the Rocket launcher ready Fred?"
"DO I!"
*woosh* Building Explotion
"ok lets see if the computer survived"
*5 minutes later*
"No Mr johnson the building just blew up and there was no trace of the computer to be found, so when do we get payed?"

yeah, also the most interesting posts you do the more likly it will work and the less "ok i fire, your turn" "ok i got 3 sucesses" "ok Guards down" BS we dont have to deal with for endless posts =P

*EDIT* as an add on to my origanal post i would like to keep this SR group going for as long as the players feel like sticking around. Im here for the long hall as long as everyone ele is. one more little edit =P i was also thinking about hvaing like a night where (once we get enough pc's) everyone could make it regulkarly and use a IRC or some other program to play (AIM Yahoo MSN i dont give a ****) and spend a little time every once in a while doing that to not only speed up the game (which i would recored all that went on and post it) but also might keep things interesting =) it may work it may not but its worth a good shot =D

Also i Host a Ventrilo Server (Ventrilo is a active speach software program much like talking on the phone except through your computer) so we could also use that for times when we all wanted to play =P these are a few of my ideas and i know ill come up with more as i go but hey creativity is what this is all about!!
Gremish
As of current i got 4 players looking to get in this campaign. Mugzy, Morefizz, Bonk and a friend that hasnt registered yet. Im still open for anyone who wants to join plz post here ide like tog et this going asap cause im blowing my mind out writing all kinds of ideas over here and i got the shadowrun bug =P
Ecclesiastes
What kinda of characters have been submitted? I may toss one into the mix, but I'd like to fill a gap, as I can play just about anything.

edit: Are you avioding Deckers or Riggers?
Mugzy
Well, I was thinking perhaps a decker.

I would not be opposed to a razorhead or a 'slinger either. Hell, I can fill any roll, and Im gettin to the point all I want to do is play SR again. But as of right now, I'd like to run a decker.

You have any preferences Ecclesiastes?
Ecclesiastes
Well, if he was ok with Deckers, I was actually thinking of going with an Otaku character of mine. Beyond that, I'm fairly open (though I prefer not to play Riggers). It takes me about 30 minutes to finish a character, so once I see what everyone else wants to play, I'll take the left overs.

edit: I've got a jack-of-all-trades character that could be cool. Part Street Sam, part Face, part B&E / Electronics Wiz. He is a real pro as far as runners so though, so if the game is more for a street level, then it wouldn't fit either.
Mugzy
Im pretty sure hes fine with it. You'd have to get a response from him though for confirmation.

Otaku, eh? Never gave a whole lot of though to them. Guess I'm gettin old. Sounds cool though. That Sam/Face guy sounds killer. Resources, bleh, Its always cool to have a smooth talker, regardless of the guy's history.
Gremish
Im up for anything i got the matix book sitting in front of me atm =P Deckers are fine but thier difficult to play well with a group ... i dont know how on here will work (thinking it will work alot better because i can PM deckers and go through all kinds of decker shiz on teh side) but we will see.... as for that im open to trying anyhting i am new to this so we will have to see what works well what doesnt AHEAD of time ide liek to state that im not completely awsome at matix stuff yet seeing as in most table top its extremely hard to coordinate the matix and the RL of the game at the same time without boring one or the otehr side.

PLAYERS SO FAR

Morefizz- Sammy
Mugzy - Decker
Bonk - Physadept
Ecc - Otaku/Jack

Anyone else interested just post away whatever u like to play even if its something already here cause the group will shift and turn based on whos playing anyway =D
Ecclesiastes
Hmmm... No wiz yet? I'll have to bust out Jessie. My Face/Cat Shaman.

edit: Granted she has more than 25 Karma, but I can tone her down a bit. I think she's currently at around 50 karma.
Gremish
No wiz yet and make sure u got healing ... for some reason people just like to walk into mounted machine guns in my campaigns...

Shoot me a post on her stats ect and ill check it out if shes not nbutz 50 karma might make the cut =) Casters and karma normaly only means more spells which dont really mean shit anyway =P
Ecclesiastes
I think shes graded twice with a few extra spells, yeah. I don't have the sheet on me, but I'll try to talk my wife into emailing it to me here at work.
Ecclesiastes
What are you looking for in the way of background stories? A full page, small brief, 20 questions, etc?
Gremish
No sweat i cna check it tommarow if u cant get it today i got to work in 4 hours anyway =P Damn christmas 12 hour days /sigh
Whizbang
Hmm...thinking of trying something diffrent and going conjurer. Not sure whether a mage with high conjuring, or just a conjurer adept just yet. Will have to build a character from scratch with whatever build rules you prefer, though.
Gremish
well this is how i always did backrounds...

First way- Write me a page or 2 backround or as long as u like DONT make a character sheet and base it off that ake the background based on the type of char you would liek to play.... ill write ur character sheet for you based on that BR then you and shift things around as you see fit. It makes for a different world and makes it so people arnt playing the same char with a diff name every time. i like to write and i like creativity aka ur gonna get extra karma/ creation points ect plus kool stuff based on how well u write a BR. If its a clean cut backround with "this corp shot my mom, so thier all gonna die" i'll give u the nice ... and have u make a char on ur own and a piano might be part of your starting gear.

For those out there that HATE backgrounds thats kool too no worry sjust write up a char make a decent reason why you are the way you are and im happy.

PS: anyone wanting to use Edge/Flaw i MAX the points at 4. Also some of them i hate so if u use it and i say you cant have it plz dont take it personal i just think some are a little cheesy. Also taking a really nice Edge and a buncha cheesy flaws aint cutting it either you get something relaly awsome take somehting that could bone you. Backgrounds may also develope into Edge / flaws based on the writing and what i think fits which in that case you may get something relaly cool or something really shitty, either way it hightens the RP value.

Final note here if you relaly dont like a char that you get out of a BR then by all means develope your own but if u think its not the greatest but still willing to play give new things a try... you might just get addicted...
Gremish
QUOTE (Whizbang)
Hmm...thinking of trying something diffrent and going conjurer. Not sure whether a mage with high conjuring, or just a conjurer adept just yet. Will have to build a character from scratch with whatever build rules you prefer, though.

Whiz Basicly but its strait outathe Book or NSCRG either way you wanna do it base gear (avail 8 max) Priority or Points whichever you would like to use. everythign goes through me anyway so you will know if somehting is wrong =P

As for people thinking about chars Throw em up worst thats gonna happen is a "hey i dont think thats gonna work" and mosta the time ill just say hey i got a few tweeks here and there.
Ecclesiastes
Whizbang and I were both wondering if you use the AIM handle you have in your profile much. We chat on there a lot to make things quicker than posting back and foward. I can be reached at Ecclesiastes76 and Whizbang uses Starfyre076.
Gremish
Im on aim a little ehre and there dont use it a ton cause a few poeple on there bug the helll outa me and i dont like having programs running that im not using but if your gonna be on there to tlak ill start logging on more regularly
Maxxi
Both these characters are people who can't adjust to living outside of prison. I like them both, and could develop them quite a bit.

I have an idea for a former Sioux millitary agent, who was 'dismissed' after a stiont in millitary prison. He's lost most of his politics, although he's more then willing to cause havoc in the UCAS and get paid for it.

I've also got a Voodoo Shaman following Oggun. He's got political ambitions, and a taste for violence, but needs the money to back it up, so he's turned to shadowrunning. It's hard to get a job after being in prison 5 years.
Ecclesiastes
I've got Mojo covered and Whizbang is throwing in a Conjurer, so the Sioux would be the better fit that I can see.
Sandoval Smith
I have a mostly completed rigger that would probably work fairly well in this campaign, a getaway driver with a couple of drones. There would be one thing I'd have to change about him though (unless you want to fiddle with availibility a little). I was building his vehicle / drone hanger around a GMC Bulldog Step Van, security model, which is a 9/9.
Tashio
I got a B&E/Covert Op floating around, lemme dig him out and see what he looks like. He's got a bit of The Saint feel to him.
Sandoval Smith
I was putting together an equipment list, and was wondering if this was a typo: is the Ares Supersquirt really an availibility 9? Considering I could just put DMSO (which is availibilty 2) and whatever else in a capsule round and have pretty much the same effect, I can't see why the Supersquirt would have such a high avail. to it.
Gremish
Sand--As far as your Vehicle goes ill have to check it out and if its gonna be a Tank van then we might just give it like some outragious thing like VERY visible armor ect so people know what it is limiting its use which will compensate for the increased availablility or you could always have it started and work for the other items in game =D

Tash-- Sounds awsome Covert ops is my personal favorite =D

Max-- whatever you all decide you need as a group is all you =D Im not gonna tell anyone what to be or what not to be unless it conflicts with smethign which niether of ur charsseem to =)
Sandoval Smith
Well, the reason I chose the Bulldog security model is because, as Rigger 3 states, "It is the most common truck in the delivery business and its base model comes with concealed armor. Though everyone knows that the bulldog has 'concealed' armed, only the most discerning eye can tell if it's the Standard, or Security version, a mystery that has kept many packages safe that otherwise might not have been." A handy reason to have photovoltic paint, transponder library, and morphic license plate presets to mimic the appearance and license of actual delivery vehicles. I.E a Damngood Coffee delivery truck, or Stinky Pete's Biological Waste Removal Service (We step in it, so you don't have to). The character's philosphy is that 'fast getaways might be fast, but they draw attention, too much attention. The best escape is the one when no one even realizes that you are escaping." Hence why he likes the five points of concealed armor. He doesn't want to drive a tank. They're conspicuous, and draw attention, whereas no one is really going to think anything unusual if they notice the armor on the Bulldog.

As for the Supersquirt, it's my favorite gun for quiet, non lethal takedowns. I just don't remember it being an availibility 9. Either my memory is bad, or there's some errata on that. I'm wondering which is which. I suppose this is just something that he can work for once the game gets started.

Here's the background and the write up for him (and wow, I didn't mean for the story to get that long, but...)
Chauncy Gardener.

[ Spoiler ]

[ Spoiler ]
Mugzy
This is great. Looks like its coming together nicely.

Nice writeup by the way Sand.

Ecclesiastes and I have got together on AIM to go over a few character things, and if you wanted to ping me, my SN is GabrielAfr.

Also, I do have a headset microphone (Thanks to all the Battlefield '42 and 'Nam and Diablo 2) and use Teamspeak2, as its simple and free.

Currently Im planning out a Decker, even though building a deck is a pain in the ass. (Thank god for guys like McMackie to make NSRCG)

One thing- Gremish, are there any books you are prohibiting in character creation? (certain cyberware or spells, guns, etc.) Or are you sticking with straight Avail 8?
Tashio
k, busy sorting my room out today and tomorrow will dig it up and type up, for AIM, MSN, ICQ view my profile all listed there.
Gremish
Mug, im not blocking any equip atm. Now as we go along if i find something that is cheesy or wont fit well ill tell ya but all in all i can get around anything you can throw at me =D (you can just start hanging upside down naked on the side of the empire state buidling) biggrin.gif

Sand, Very nice BR bud. i had fun reading it, kudos.
Mr Crisp
Luvs to get in on this Gremish. Like the way the Rigger player is thinking. I've got a face archetype i'd like to play.
A Troll bouncer whos keen to take his first steps into the Shadows. After years of doing biz with Runners it seemed like a natural thing to do. To stay in his job bouncing, D-Trip has had to adapt. He pities so many of those Troll Bouncers trying to look the part in their lurid threads, their attempt at class making them look like dandelion eater kids party clowns. And who start punching when they run out of words. D-Trip has made the effort; classic cut chic, unobvious mods and cosmetic surgery make him a popular bouncer. He fills a gap between the Ritz and the seamier part of the shadows which supplements the Cred he makes from bouncing.
But now he's chasing a REAL payday. He knows about Runs that some Posers do with null perspiration, And then they jander up to his club to blow their Nuyen. If pieces of flotsam drek can pull those runs off, D-Trip is sure he'll get that payday he's after.

I'll generate the character if you give me the go ahead. But if the team needs a mage i've got a Burn-Out character in mind.
Gremish
MNr Crisp -- sounds good to me bu can always use some muscle =)
Mr Crisp
Having trouble PM'ng and emailing you Gremish so i've posted the background for D-Trip. Left out names of districts and places such as the Club.

Isawa Satoshi, was named by his mother 28 years ago. Satoshi grew up in the lower class area of the Detroit Sprawl with his mother. His mother went through goblinization years ago, when she lived with her family in an Arcology from San Francisco. She was removed from her family to a clinic and once the stages of goblinization had finished, she was relocated here to Detroit: where the weak are killed and eaten.
Felling his mothers pain Satoshi grew up with feelings of guilt and anger, and when he was too old to be controlled by his mother, Satoshi proceeded to ill spend his youth. Moving out of his mothers apartment he began running with poser gangs and pulling scams. Satoshi stacked thrill on top of thrills. Developing a fascination with BTLs, Satoshi began high riding a wave to disaster. Looping almost continually and risking his life daily, Satoshi felt invincible. He started chipping stranger and weirder BTLs and one day had one custom made. The anticipation he felt to get the chip home and slot it brought him to the edge of panic. And as soon as he did he went over the edge.
D-Trip. Named by his peers, when at the 'tender' age of 18, he looped a BTL and chipped it, till falling comatose. The so called 'dead loop' would have killed him, if not for his mother. Who found him in his own filth three days after D-Trip had jacked the BTL. He never stopped living with his mom from that day.
Shameful as the event was D-Trip can not deny; the BTL induced comma made him think differently.. and change. D-Trip started to experience the world with a passive lens. There was quite a lot more to be observed than before. And people seemed easier to handle, no more awkward silences. Now D-trip always found some value in the people he met. Sometimes that value was cold hard cred. He started satisfying the people around him by connecting them with the services and the customers that they required. D-Trip decided that it was more profitable to trade in peoples vices, because there was more trust, and more money involved. And he couldn't shake the BTLs.
D-Trip learnt restraint after though. Chipping only through a deck with setting well in the range of 'safety'. He felt that in some way he needed to tell people that you could change for the better by over looping, but it seemed so crazy that he decided to keep it a secret. Who would believe him, and who would be able to get the same results? By keeping this first secret, D-Trip started to learn that by controlling the amount of information you gave people, more profitable results were achieved.
After a while most people in the building knew D-Trip. And he had made various contacts with people living downtown, fixers, sararimen, samurai and Alfonse. Alfonse owned a wizzed out club, downtown. And he wanted D-Trip to try the ropes and Bounce the front door. Alfonse took D-Trip to his Club for a few nights in a row, got him drunk, high and chipped. Into the hours of the third morning Alfonse made his final pitch;
'Trip? Look chummer, I've either gotta stop spending cred on you, or you?ve gotta come work for me. Slash and that other brute, arent worth a slottin' pinch of drek at the door, 'cept at these hours. Come on, you can deal and work you're charm here too. What more do I have to say!?'
D-Trips hand rose to cover his mouth as it broke into a wicked grin;
'You know Alfonse? You're not so bad. Sure, chummer, sure. I'll work the door. But um, give me a day to convince my mom.'
Needless to say, D-Trip convinced his mother, Isawa Sukune and he started working the door at the Club. Indeed it turned out to be rather profitable. After working the door D-Trip would meet the high rollers and hardcore and do biz till their heads get too fuzzy. And then its time for everyone to slot and run, and for the Star to look after the Club during the day.
Gremish
Awsome bud, im always happy to see new backgrounds. As for getting a hold of me PMing seems to be all messed up so your best bet is to email me at archonfanatic26@sbcglobal.net or use AIM (which ill get the message but cant promise ill be paying attention to it all the time) at hallowedman1212

oh and i got your PM.

Mug igot 4 from u of the same one =P man thier PM's are messed up
Gremish
PLAYERS SO FAR

Morefizz- Sammy
Mugzy - Decker
Bonk - Physadept
Ecc - Otaku/Jack
Sand - Rigger
Mr. Crisp - Face (far as i cna tell from BR)
Tash - B&E/Covert Op
Maxxi - SHM or Sam
Whiz - Conjurer
Sandoval Smith
It looks like we've got a pretty good spread of talent going here. Any time frame on when we can get this going, and should our characters have any knowledge of eachother before we start, or are well all going to get introduced on during the first run?
Gremish
Start is looking like first week of January hopefully. As for knowing each other i play to incorperate that through your backgrounds as well as you all talking to each other now. So start to get to know each other a little better now and such. ALL BACKGROUNDS AND CHAR SHEETS must be in by January 1st if u plan on playing in this campaign =)

Thank you

Grem
Mr Crisp
As for knowing each other i play to incorperate that through your backgrounds as well as you all talking to each other now. So start to get to know each other a little better now and such.

Well, D-Trip is a Bouncer and a Troll, he often socializes after his shift. Characters who go out to clubs to drink, do biz, or pick up, have a good chance of coming across D-Trip.
I'm prepared to say that D-Trip has been involved with runs before. But acting way in the background, getting minimal nuyen. He really hasn't worked the shadows that way.
So if your character does know D-Trip, you would know he's a noob. From what your character can tell however, he doesn't seem incompetent. When first meeting him, your character will be aware that he takes a keen interest in you at first. When he establishes a few things, D-Trip will begin to follow certain topics of conversation. The topics he pursues are; BTLs and biz. If your character talks with D-Trip further about either of those topics, he will attempt to maintain a relationship with your character. D-Trip knows people to know, and he will share information for information. D-Trip will always try to make sure your character has a good time in his company. Otherwise, he won't bother your character too much.
If you're character is not socially inclined, or prefers to keep his/her body free of poisons such as alchohol or BTLs, there is not much chance for our characters to meet. Unless perhaps, D-Trips' mother cleans your house, or your character grew up as friends with him in the poorer districts of Detroit.
Sandoval Smith
Here is a slightly tweaked version of Chauncy. .02 esscense, whoo! Does anyone have an idea for a street name that'd fit him? I'm believe that street names are something you get, not something you come up with yourself.

[ Spoiler ]

Chauncy has been rigging the shadows for a few years, and he's built a good reputation for himself as a reliable delivery/getaway driver. He's not some drek-hot nitro rider like some though. In fact, word has gotten around that if you ride with him, you better not be the jumpy because he drives slow. Slow, but subtle. On more than one run, just as he's gotten ahead of pursuit, he's slown down to the speed of traffic, the runners in the back of the van sweating bullets watching pursuit catch up, then drive right on by, fooled by the quick paint/plate change and steady driving. Even though they were out of sight for just a second, when the pursuers caught up, they saw just another step van going on its way. Surely the one they were chasing is that fast moving one up ahead.

D-trip has heard of Chauncy through his BTL circles. The man has a chip habit, a very strange chip habit. He doesn't go for beetles, but the chips he uses are odd enough that he has to go through unusual suppliers to get them. His preferred chips involve crowds, masses of people walking to and fro, an endless babble of the mass of people moving completly oblivious to his existence. His second favorite are simsense renditions of the tranmissions of sattelites, and especially the comet probes, moving through darkness and silence. He sometimes is referred to as that 'anti-BTL scrag.'
Maxxi
Pappa Deaux...

Besides the copyright infrigements with a southern resturant from decades ago, Pappa Deaux is a voodoo shaman following ghede. His reputation comes mostly from rumors about him, that would seem hard to verify. Some people say he can kill or cripple with merely a gaze. Others say he's raised zombies, summoned spirits, and been a major force in the New Orleans underworld.

But people tend to gossip. Any barfly, would have seen Pappa Deaux and found all this hard to believe. A runner, an aging runner (he's in his 30's), who spends most of his time drunk. He's a nice enough guy for a drunk, but it's suprising that a guy like him could ever be a runner since he spends most of his time yelling out empty insults in seedy bars. Then again, he's gotten decent work with Johnsons, at least enough to spend far too much Nuyen at bars, and have good looking clothes.
Maxxi
Grem,

Can we send you sheets in NSRCG format?
Gremish
Yeah u can send NSCRG sheets in that format no worrys =) As for everyone thus far ive gotten a good amount of char backgrounds and sheets if u DIDNT get a reply from me yet it is coming i havnt had a ton of time the past 2 days but ill get ya =) im hoping to start this campaign withing the next week.
Mugzy
Justy wanted to post an update. I'll have my character finished and up here by Wednesday. Im working through some kinks in his decks and unfortunately, it doesnt look like I'll have a lot of ECM/ECCM right off the bat, (Due to costs).. but its always good to have somethign to build to.

Lates
Whizbang
Argh...this is turning out to be more of a challenge than I thought. Trying to craft a char with almost no active skills that is still useful to the party... Oh well...every party needs it's new guy. smile.gif Needless to say going from a cushy corporate job to the shadows is going to be a bit of a shock to his system...
Tashio
Gremish I sent you my char via mail did you recieve it?
Whizbang
Sent mine as well, though I may very well come up with some more tweaks between now and when we start.
Gremish
i have gotten everyones Char sheets thus far and im looking over them now havnt been able to post on DS since its been down as we all know im working on checking over the chars now =)
Mugzy
Thank god for the last day of the year. Nothin like procrastination to really spice things up. I got my Decker Finished, The background is coming together nicely too. the concept is pretty neat, and I hope to use it to the best of its ability. Unfortunately, I am a bit of a forum idiot and cant figur out for the life of me how to do the spoiler thing. I'll come back and edit it once I figure it out

Well, without further ado.

[ Spoiler ]

Background is forthcoming!

Dumpshock being down was a real cramp in getting this posted, so sorry for the delay! Will have it up post haste.

-Mugz

ps...
Remaining Nuyen = 95

After character Generation thats less than a whole nuyen minus my 3d6x100
Kayne
That was me who sent 'Os' off to you.
Tziluthi
Scratch that, I'll use this, strangely now-working account instead. So, for the record, you can now ignore Kayne.
Shaudes29
If there is still room in your game i would like to join in.

The character i wold like to play is from NAN and is an albino troll owl shamon. He is considerd bown to teh path becouse albinos are considerd sacred amon many of NAN. Being a troll has coused soem problems for him. Know an White he will only use magic to do stun damadge only, and is what youd call a nite person. If i can join ill get a better background writen up.
Gremish
We still taking new chars we wont be starting for at least another week =)

PLAYERS SO FAR

Mugzy - Decker
Ecc - Otaku/Jack
Sand - Rigger
Mr. Crisp - Face (far as i cna tell from BR)
Tash - B&E/Covert Op
Maxxi - SHM or Sam
Whiz - Conjurer
Shaudes29- Troll Shm
Tziluthi- Unknown

Also everyone PLZ post you character sheets ehre as well at emailing them to me that way your fellow players can see what your doign and help cretique if needed =)
Whizbang
As char sheets are requested, here mine is:

[ Spoiler ]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012