Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: "Stand and Fight!"
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Crusher Bob
Kyaaa, sounds too much like my work. Alot of my technical support problems seem too much like 'help, I've poked myself in the eye with a screwdriver and it hurts!'.

Sigh, 'I've deleted my printer, what do I do?'

"I've incorrectly load the paper into the printer, causing it to jam'
'I've somehow screwed up changing the toner cartridge, and now the printer is really pissed off'

'what do you mean I shouldn't alter data in the databse while it's undergoing compaction? Is it bad if I did?'
Arethusa
While riding his motorcycle down the street in broad daylight in the barrens:

"I pull out my binoculars and take a closer look."

Ah, the good old days. Good times.
Crusher Bob
The implication is probably: 'I stop the bike, then use the binocs'

When I say in the game: ' I'm going to the bathroom' it's assumed that I pull down my pants first, even if I didn't mention that part.

Same thing: 'I go get some breakfast from the stuffer shack' really means something like:
I get dressed, get standard equipment, wallet, keys, guns, armor, whatever
leave home (with appropriate security procedures, etc)
goto stuffer shack (without playing in traffic)
get food
pay for food
etc
etc

Having the GM cut to the stuffer shack, where your PC suddenly discovers he isn't wearing any pants, should not be something the GM does.

This kind of deliberate 'miss-scripting' of stuff the player says is not conducive to good gaming.

[edit]
Since most people describe actions as a shared script, they don't normally describe each little thing they do since they assume that the person they are talking to shares the same 'script' of the action that they want to do.

So when arriving at your house, if I say 'I stopped for pizza on the way here' you would be able to accurately describe the actions I probably took to get the pizza, even though I didn't spell them out for you. (i.e. we share the getting pizza 'script').
If someone does not share the same 'scripts' that you do, it can lead to easy miss-communication.

The problem often is that one/both sides of the conversation can't figure out what the problem is. Guy 1 is saying something to guy2 that dosen't make much sense (i.e. is not causing an appropriate script to fire), while guy1 can't figure out what guy2's problem is, since he's using the 'script firing words' that should explain everything.

Notice how pissed off computer people can get when trying to explain something like 'double click on the my computer icon' to a non-computer person... The non computer person has not 'computer scripts'
[/edit]
Arethusa
Hah. No.

It was more like this.

"I pull out my binoculars and take a closer look."
"I.. make a crash test."
"WHAT?!"
"You're... riding a motorcycle while looking through binoculars."
"I can do that fine!"
"You can't see! You won't be able to ride a bike! You couldn't even walk!"
"I've done it before! I can run and look through biculars fine!"
At this point, i stopped listening, mostly because I was laughing too hard at the image of this kid running down the street, hunched, with a pair of binoculars held to his face, and I think it cut off my oxygen supply after a while.

Then there was the time he "pumped" his shotgun at someone. And a very interesting incident involving some chocolates and the parents of a kidnapped girl. And the list goes on. And on. And, well, you get the idea.
mmu1
QUOTE (Speedy)
Players sometimes need to be taught about consequences.
That means they need to die sometimes, they need to get stunned unconcious sometimes, the need to get double-crossed regularly, they need to not get paid sometimes, they need to make their own work sometimes, they need to encounter random things a lot, they need to run into cops often, they need to scare security NPCs and be scared by them, they need to realize that the more bullets in your armour jacket the less effective it is, they need to know that there is always someone bigger, badder and more powerful than you just around the corner.
If i'm doing a combat sequence and it's come off as to easy, I bring in some more bad guys (you know, the ones who were late cause they had car trouble on the way over, or just like to be fashionably late) and up all their stats by say, 4 to 10, compared to the guys that just gots waxed. Brings out the "oh my god what is that!?!?!" like nothing else!

Worst... GM... ever...
mmu1
(double post)
U_Fester
QUOTE (Jrayjoker)
They shouldn't gain any positive reputation from acting like a rank amateur

BitBasher,

I knew what you meant by your comment. They have no idea what good reputation is. Some of them acutually think the more people they kill on the streets, the better rep they will get becuase they are known as bad asses.
Speedy
QUOTE (mmu1 @ Dec 23 2004, 08:16 AM)
QUOTE (Speedy @ Dec 23 2004, 12:37 AM)
Players sometimes need to be taught about consequences.
That means they need to die sometimes, they need to get stunned unconcious sometimes, the need to get double-crossed regularly, they need to not get paid sometimes, they need to make their own work sometimes, they need to encounter random things a lot, they need to run into cops often, they need to scare security NPCs and be scared by them, they need to realize that the more bullets in your armour jacket the less effective it is, they need to know that there is always someone bigger, badder and more powerful than you just around the corner.
If i'm doing a combat sequence and it's come off as to easy, I bring in some more bad guys (you know, the ones who were late cause they had car trouble on the way over, or just like to be fashionably late) and up all their stats by say, 4 to 10, compared to the guys that just gots waxed.  Brings out the "oh my god what is that!?!?!" like nothing else!

Worst... GM... ever...

MMU1 : Where's your sense of adventure?
I don't know what a lot of other groups play like, but a buddy and I take turns GM-ing from one run to the next and we both like to keep our players, and each other, happy. I just GM this way because it's what we all want. We used to be all nice and considerate of each other's PCs, even fudging things to let them survive, ("oh, but I've had this Character for years") but that just got boring. Don't get me wrong, I'm not all about punishing my PCs all the time, just about making things into a challenge once in a while. to many cakewalks and we all get bored.
We all got tired of being way to powerful and wanted to start over, mostly after we all read Sprawl Survival Guide, so we all agreed to retire the current Characters we had going and made new ones. Agreeing also that it would take time for them to get respect and reputations where they would be offered higher paying jobs. They may have to do favours to get a rep going, or things like that. Just reading that story in there about the reporter who becomes a runner. Man, She had to become a crack whore to get going.
Speedy
DBL POST
mmu1
QUOTE (Speedy)

Umm... My sense of adventure is doing fine.

I just prefer to play in a game where my reward for being competent (or lucky) and pulling off a run unscathed isn't getting raped by a bunch of NPCs with godlike stats that the DM just pulled out of his ass.

Of course, that's all subjective, and whether you and your players have a thing for S&M is your business, but if you can't make a challenging run and instead have to resort to using absurdly overpowered NPCs that come out of nowhere to beat up on the characters some more... Well, that's just sad.
Speedy
QUOTE (mmu1)
QUOTE (Speedy @ Dec 23 2004, 12:53 PM)

Umm... My sense of adventure is doing fine.

I just prefer to play in a game where my reward for being competent (or lucky) and pulling off a run unscathed isn't getting raped by a bunch of NPCs with godlike stats that the DM just pulled out of his ass.

Of course, that's all subjective, and whether you and your players have a thing for S&M is your business, but if you can't make a challenging run and instead have to resort to using absurdly overpowered NPCs that come out of nowhere to beat up on the characters some more... Well, that's just sad.

you miss my point, it was all in context. I was simply addressing the thread about firefights. if there isn't enough threat it gets boring, although I agree with you that too much just gets stupid as well.
You can, as a GM, go way overboard with plot and have a Run where no one ever rolls the dice, and you can go the opposite way where there is so much combat thar no dialogue ever happens. I think we would all agree that a nice balance is better. Players and GMs alike both like plot and intrigue, stealthy tactics, sneaking, and straight out fire/mojo figthts. It's all about having fun together as players. If that's what you're doing, great. That's the spirit behind Shadowrun as I understand it. If you were in my group I would definately try to learn what you like and fit things into that game that make it enjoyable for you. That's the cool thing about RPGs in general, and especial Shadowrun, you just adapt the game and come up with Ideas that you will like to play.
draco aardvark
I have admitedly limited experiance GMing firefights, but in my experiance, one doesn't need amazingly stated guys to kill PC's. (are my PC's just not good at munch-foo?)

* Gain superior position - fire from behind cover so you're not exposing yourself
* get a bunch of your buddies - even if you all have 4 skill, when there's a bunch of you they'll go down
Speedy
QUOTE (draco aardvark)
I have admitedly limited experiance GMing firefights, but in my experiance, one doesn't need amazingly stated guys to kill PC's. (are my PC's just not good at munch-foo?)

* Gain superior position - fire from behind cover so you're not exposing yourself
* get a bunch of your buddies - even if you all have 4 skill, when there's a bunch of you they'll go down

Yup, that works too.
lord_cack
I think it comes down to player preference. I play in a group used to Dungeons and Dragons so they like combat and hack and slash. Thats what my players like. While that leads to alot of bending of the rules it makes for a high action game. But isn't that my job to accomidate the players needs? While I would like to see them run away more often they never do. So I fudge a few die rolls and everything works out. I think that having a few runs where sneaking in and out or where subterfuge is needed can be fun. But its not their idea of excitment.
Cynic project
Well, it depends. My runners fight when it is the job, when there is no way out,or when not fighting would lead to bad things.

Some of my character care about other people and fight so they can get way,others are cut throat greedy killers. I have seen the gambit with the people I play with.
Voran
I was reading through some old 1st eddy adventures today, DNA/DOA to be specific, and was amazed that I had forgotten how enemy heavy the book is. You run into strike teams every chapter. Random encounters make it possible to get killed before ever getting close to the sewer, and then random encounters every new hallway and room that's not already filled with Aztechnology security guards smile.gif

Then you look at the equipment lists for some of the pregen'd characters. THREE reloads for your weapon? Heh, good frickin luck!
Fortune
DNA/DOA is an unfair example though. It was (IIRC) the very first Shadowrun adventure FASA released, and is in no way typical of anything that followed. It was written by Dave Arneson, who has a very long and mixed record with D&D. It was a archetypical dungeon crawl, right down to the linear feel, and the random encounter tables, which only appear in that one module, I believe.
Voran
QUOTE (Fortune)
DNA/DOA is an unfair example though. It was (IIRC) the very first Shadowrun adventure FASA released, and is in no way typical of anything that followed. It was written by Dave Arneson, who has a very long and mixed record with D&D. It was a archetypical dungeon crawl, right down to the linear feel, and the random encounter tables, which only appear in that one module, I believe.

Yeah. Didn't really have a problem with it, just made me smile and remember the days of old. To be fair, the stats of the NPCs you did run into back in those modules, were pretty minor. I suppose nowadays in runs I'm getting more used to having smaller groups, both in size and frequency, but increased proficiency and skill. Alot of those module NPCs would be pretty much fodder under today's SR standards. Guards with 4 body, 2 willpower, rating 3s in guns/unarmed combat. No cyber...

That being said, its too bad I've gone through DNA/DOA and several other modules I have from over the years. It;d be nice to run them again, but I'd have a hard time not ruining my own game cause I remember key stuff about the various modules.

Patrick Goodman
Most of my players have had the good sense to run when they know they're outmatched. I've had a couple who've decided at various times to "stand and fight like a man!" This almost invariably gets them dead, and they either figure it out with their next character or they don't. If the latter, they tend not to stay in my games for long.
FrostyNSO
My smart players tend to bug out when things stop going their way.

The others seem to think they can handle just about anything, though I was suprised when one of those fled just the other night.

At least one of my players tends to consider flight whenever confronted by anything...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012