Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A Dragon by Any other name.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Large Mike
I'm reading through Dot6W and have come across the fact that dragons call each other by titles. Anyone have... anything resembling a list of who has what title?
FlakJacket
Off the top of my head Orange Queen is Hestaby, Rain Queen Mujaji, Stone Diver Celedyr, Gold Master Lofwyr, Doll Maker Ghostwalker.
Connor
Far-Scholar was Dunklezahn

I'm sure Ancient History's files have anything that's yet to be mentioned.
Kanada Ten
New Shadowland posters, Old Forum
Ancient History
I have not yet posted anything from Survival of the Fittest, Sprawl Survival Guide, or Dragons of the SIxth World...I want to give them a few months for people to buy their copies, first.
Large Mike

I've been around since the very tail end of Deep Resonence. New poster my hoop.

I need to stop being such a prick.

Meh.
Abstruse
Lofwyr has also started posting on Shadowland as Loremaster since he received the memory gem from Big D's will. He's also been called Golden Snout, but I think was just H being a dick nyahnyah.gif

The Abstruse One
Ancient History
We've been debating the Loremaster thang. The whole "well, if Lofwyr is Loremster, who posted from SK Headquarters in PoaD then?"
Nath
QUOTE (Ancient History)
We've been debating the Loremaster thang. The whole "well, if Lofwyr is Loremster, who posted from SK Headquarters in PoaD then?"

And as I already said last time I saw this debate, the poster called "Loremaster" in PoaD is heavily insisting that Dunkelzahn is breaking the traditions and that all the people who received items from the Will are not rightful owners. It includes the loremaster title as indicated in SotF introduction. Why the hell Lofwyr would he be posting as Loremaster to say Dunkelzahn had no right to make him the Loremaster ?!?
Senchae
QUOTE (Abstruse)
He's also been called Golden Snout, but I think was just H being a dick nyahnyah.gif

I think it was.

Lofwyr is called Gold-Master by the other dragons.

In the Dragons PDF, this stuff is somewhat explained- the dragons don't call each other by their 'real names' because that would imply a familiarity or intimacy that doesn't exist. So they use the titles- Doll Maker, Far Scholar, Talespeaker. However, mortals don't use the titles, because that would imply that they are on the same level as the dragons.

Which makes it all the funnier when Harly either uses titles or deliberately mocks the titles.
Abstruse
Who else would have the cojones to claim to be Loremaster and have the knowlege of the dragon culture displayed there? It couldn't have been Hestaby because Loremaster responded directly to something Orange Queen said in one book (don't ask me which). The only other person that would possibly do that would be Alamais, but he never seemed the type to hop on Shadowland.

Lofwyr didn't agree with what Big D did, but he obviously didn't mind taking his inheritance of the Jewel of Memory. Lofwyr definately wasn't as hardcore about keeping the old ways as Aden was. I think Loremaster is Lofwyr.

Which brings up a question...after the events in Survival of the Fittest, do you think that Aden claimed his inheritance or do you think he still has it hanging in that museum or wherever he stashed it?

The Abstruse One
Ancient History
One large change from the FASA days: back in the Dragons.Pdf, it hints that there are more than one Council of Great Dragons,a nd thus more than one Loremaster.

Maybe after the down-cycle hunting, the Greats decided they just had enough for one Council and reorganized.
last_of_the_great_mikeys
*Stands up in the middle of a crowd of soldiers, raising his sword above his head and shouts, "I AM LOREMASTER!!!" grinbig.gif
Hot Wheels
and promptly gets swatted for his arrogance by the nearest worm.
Abstruse
Actually, there are more Greats in SR than in ED from what recall. For one thing, there isn't a single Great Eastern or Feathered Serpent in ED. Plus, many of the younger dragons in ED made it to Great status during the downcycle.

BTW, it's "wyrm" when refering to a dragon. nyahnyah.gif

The Abstruse One
Ancient History
Not quite true, there was two or three Great Easterns mentioned by name, at least one of which was living. Also, most Great Dragons in ED were limited to Barsaive and environs; whereas the GD's in SR are from all over the world.
booklord
The following four eastern dragons in Earthdawn I've read about on the web. All are great except for possibly Dvilgaynon.

Luung -> Guess Who? C'mon Guess.
Dvilgaynon -> Played a small part in the Barsaive At War campaign
Earthroot -> An Eastern dragon living underground in Barsaive
White Lotus -> A female Eastern dragon that may have chased Earthroot out of Cathcay lands.
Bira
These dragons could do with cooler titles... Sure, Gold-Master and Doll-Maker seem nice enough, until you notice there are people titled "The Dowager of the Irreverent Vulgate in Unrent Veils" two game systems over biggrin.gif .

I am Jack's post-Exalted high.

Still, this sort of extremely ritualistic titling would do wonders do enforce the weird feel of dragon society, should your characters ever come across this bit of trivia in their lives.
Tiralee
Out of interest, are there any dragons (ok, Wyrms) in Australia, Great or otherwise?

I'd just think, with the whole "Rainbow serpent thing", there must have been a few, at least...

I mean, large empty landscape, abundance of natural resources, tectonically-stable...

It just makes a little sense.
Synner
The Aussie dragon gets some more coverage in the "Dragons of the Sixth World" sourcebook.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012