Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Practical S.E.P. Field
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
DocMortand
Just for amusement sake, the idea of an S.E.P. field is a field which conceals a vehicle/person because anybody who enters the field is convinced that it's not there because it is somebody else's problem. Thus people will automatically avoid it even tho they don't see it, etc.

My theoretical problem to you is: how can we build it in SR3? Probably should be magic (like alter memory or control actions/emotions/thoughts) based on a foci or some sort. Obviously if you're in the astral it will be seen...I don't think there is a scientific way of doing it.

Can anyone suggest a way to do this? It would be fun...
Nikoli
First you'd have to start with a troll, not just any troll, but a troll that has contracted elephantities in a most unseemly location, then put him/her in a very bright hot pink unitard and a neon blue tu-tu. then play "dance of the sugar plum fairies" on a small porable music device.

Nobody will "see" it because nobody will believe it's waltzing past them.
Moon-Hawk
I agree that it would be a control manipulation like control thoughts.
DocMortand
Control thoughts does seem to be the right way - but how do you get the logistics of having a foci doing control thoughts to anyone within range? It's like the Extended range Shok System smile.gif
LinaInverse
Custom Manip spell (call it SEP): Minor mental change, Area, Restricted Target. Then take that spell and lock it on either a Sustaining Foci or an Anchoring Foci.
Striker
I've always thought that the Concealment spirit power works a bit like this.
Nikoli
I sorta looked at the invis spell like this as well actually.
Not the improved invis mind you, just the basic one.
Jrayjoker
Gotta go with invisibility here.
Fix-it
no, invisibility is different, because they can't see it.

this spell, they would see it, they just wouldn't CARE.
Jrayjoker
Again, sounds a lot like invisibility as described in SR3
Frenzy
I think this would be similar to the 'Foreboding' spell. (MiTS p143). Instead of creating an area of imminent fear, danger, and unease. It would create and area effect of apathy and "SEP". No invisibility, just no one cares.

Opposed willpower against the spells net successes. Greater F increases the area. NPCs viewing you from a distance would not be effected.
Necro Tech
If you have access to 2nd edition stuff the spell was called disregard. It did just what you described and was dropped for game balance reasons I believe.
DocMortand
QUOTE (Necro Tech)
If you have access to 2nd edition stuff the spell was called disregard. It did just what you described and was dropped for game balance reasons I believe.

No, I started SR in 3rd ed...can you quote the stats for disregard for me? That sounds perfect. Was there a group version, or it just is an area effect that was centered on the object to be disregarded?

I think it would be fun to spring that on my group. vegm.gif Of course Lina probably read this, but heh. No, Lina, you can't learn this spell. :grin:
SporkPimp
QUOTE (Necro Tech @ Jan 12 2005, 10:08 PM)

You just gave me a flashback to "See Me Not" from SilverAngel, which is actually a lot more like a "somebody else's problem field" in that it's an indirect illusion, which SEP fields are... the "field" encompasses the cloaked items, not the witnesses.

IIRC, that is.

-Albert
Sandoval Smith
The big problem would be if you have the bad luck to run into the Somebody else that everyone's been dumping their problems on.
Tarantula
QUOTE (Sandoval Smith)
The big problem would be if you have the bad luck to run into the Somebody else that everyone's been dumping their problems on.

You mean Agrajag?
Eyeless Blond
Nah. Marvin. smile.gif
DocMortand
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
Nah. Marvin. smile.gif

LOL!!! Of course, it would have to be poor Marvin, wouldn't it...

Anyways, back to the subject - So if "Disregard" is the SR2 solution, how would you convert it to SR3? (I still don't have the stats for Disregard, so somebody who has it will have to help)
Necro Tech
I'll post it when I get home. Like I said, it was dropped from 3rd edition for damn good reason. When you see the spell, you'll know why.
SpasticTeapot
QUOTE (DocMortand)
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Jan 13 2005, 06:47 PM)
Nah. Marvin. smile.gif

LOL!!! Of course, it would have to be poor Marvin, wouldn't it...

Anyways, back to the subject - So if "Disregard" is the SR2 solution, how would you convert it to SR3? (I still don't have the stats for Disregard, so somebody who has it will have to help)

And I have a terrible pain in the diodes all down my left side..... smile.gif

I think an invisibility spell with greatly reduced drain for use on large objects is in order. The disadvantage is that the spell could be completely negated if the characters knew that something is there; this spell only makes sense for large vehicles which are not actively shooting at anyone. Moreover, it would have no effect on electronic devices and would still be captured by cybereyes or a simrig; however, if the spell is still activated, they will not notice it on the recording.
Of course, this spell also makes sense for Panther Assault Cannons. LoneStar will not notice the weapon, even if you wave it in front of them. Using this on a turret would have similarly humorus results; if the coppers are looking at the car and not the turret itself, they will suddenly forget that it's there.
Necro Tech
The following is from Awakenings.

Disregard - Illusion spell.

The disregard spell places a voluntary subject "outside" the perceptions of other individuals. The subject remains visible and detectable by mechanical means, but individuals simply disregard or fail to notice the subject. A character may defeat the spell by making a successful Intelligence test against a target number equal to twice the number of successes the spellcaster scored on his Spell success test.

Type: Mana
Target: 4
Duration sustained
Range: Touch
Drain: M

This is waaaaay nasty with any competent spell caster and back in the day was overused by just about everyone I knew who played. It would need to be modified to bring it inline with invis ans other illusion spells.
DocMortand
QUOTE (Necro Tech)
This is waaaaay nasty with any competent spell caster and back in the day was overused by just about everyone I knew who played. It would need to be modified to bring it inline with invis ans other illusion spells.

Yeah, I see your point. So how would you modify it so that it falls in line with other Illusion spells? Here's a suggestion - I took the stats for Phantasm (because that is fairly close) and the description of Disregard/Phantasm. Let's tear it apart and see if it's good.

S.E.P. Field
The S.E.P. Field places a voluntary subject "outside" the perceptions of other individuals. The subject remains visible and detectable by mechanical means, but individuals simply disregard or fail to notice the subject. A character may defeat the spell by making a successful Resistance test to penetrate the field.

Duration sustained
Drain: D

Good/Bad?
Fix-it
QUOTE (Necro Tech)
The following is from Awakenings.

Disregard - Illusion spell.

The disregard spell places a voluntary subject "outside" the perceptions of other individuals. The subject remains visible and detectable by mechanical means, but individuals simply disregard or fail to notice the subject. A character may defeat the spell by making a successful Intelligence test against a target number equal to twice the number of successes the spellcaster scored on his Spell success test.

Duration sustained
Drain: M

That is crazy powerfull man. you could walk down the street with a PAC and no one would blink.
Necro Tech
QUOTE (DocMortand)
QUOTE (Necro Tech @ Jan 13 2005, 09:40 PM)

Yeah, I see your point. So how would you modify it so that it falls in line with other Illusion spells? Here's a suggestion - I took the stats for Phantasm (because that is fairly close) and the description of Disregard/Phantasm. Let's tear it apart and see if it's good.

S.E.P. Field
The S.E.P. Field places a voluntary subject "outside" the perceptions of other individuals. The subject remains visible and detectable by mechanical means, but individuals simply disregard or fail to notice the subject. A character may defeat the spell by making a successful Resistance test to penetrate the field.

Duration sustained
Drain: D

Good/Bad?

Maybe more like +2S for drain but otherwise good.
DocMortand
Heh - would you guys have your mages learn it? Or is it just another home brewed spell that is better off in other areas?
Lantzer
I always figured that a SEP spell would be appropriate for a reusable spell fetish: A clipboard and name tag.

Or I suppose a troll-sized neon tutu could be viable for tradition's sake. Insert appropriate comments about troll tutu fetishes.
Nikoli
Dang, someone saw that post.
*wanders off to change the battery*
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012